Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Please allow dual spec or cap respec costs.

Vraxzen

GW2 has done away with the traditional mastery tree.

It's much closer to WAR's tactic system but much more expansive.

GW2 designers have already said they've ran dungeons only with elementalist's in different specs.

Gw2 will allow you to spec any class into a variety of roles quickly and easily but Arenanet is also a super hip company who knows what the modern mmo gamer wants.

We want fun gameplay.

Here's the thing - they're doing something innovative, and they're putting it out there from the beginning. TOR has shipped, with old-school constructs and mechanics, so we have what we have. I just want to preserve it for what it is as much as possible.

I don't have a problem with GW2 doing something like that. But I do think they should consider rewarding people who stick with a spec as well.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do these threads keep popping up?

Dual spec is coming. They stated it will be in shortly after launch. You don't need to keep asking for something they've already stated they're adding.

They have in no way confirmed it... they don't do that with anything! They said they will monitor it, but keep these responses from Georg Zoeller in mind:

Currently, we do not see the need to allow for dual spec at release. It's something that we'll definitely monitor over time, but we do think there is enough flexibility in the class system to keep people occupied well past launch.

“To answer the question regarding doing PvE and PvP with the same spec.

We develop all skill trees to be competitive and viable in PVP and PvE. We don’t want you to feel like you have to respec to participate in different activities.

As it stands, should be able to participate in both PvE and PvP without feeling ‘gimped’. Your signature PvE abilities (e.g. Taunt) are viable in PvP as well and all classes feature utility helpful in both scenarios."

They could change their mind in the future, sure. But it's far from decided and far from confirmed for now.

I'm quite sure they do not.

But would be bad design, so again - concentrate your energy on requesting that be fixed. There is no design that should require a respec. And further, that's precisely what will happen if dual-specs are allowed. Encounters become even more Rube Goldberg-like than they already are with the added mechanic of switching specs.

You have this completely backwards. They ALREADY design the encounters around 2 tanks, 3-4 healers, and the rest of the operation (16 man version) being dps. There HAS to be a standard raid composition between the 3 roles in order for guilds to function properly. All that dual spec's do is make it easier for guilds to meet this makeup, even when one or two of their core members can't make it.

This actually leads to more uniform encounter design, because they no longer have to make allowances for raid groups that are missing a core class/ability/buff. Designers dont just go crazy because they know people have 2 specs. Do you honestly think the encounter designers think to themselves "Hmm, well everyone can dual spec, so let's make this fight require 6 healers instead of the usual 3 or 4"? However you got this put into your head, you need to have it undone.

Edited by invispoet

They have in no way confirmed it... they don't do that with anything! They said they will monitor it, but keep these responses from Georg Zoeller in mind:

There actually was an interview (with gamestop, i believe) that stated it was one of their top priorities for soon after release...of course, 'soon' could mean nearly anything.

Edited by invispoet

They could change their mind in the future, sure. But it's far from decided and far from confirmed for now.

Great job being either uninformed or purposefully dishonest. Those are out-dated quotes. The most recent comment on Dual spec from the devs was:

"Dual spec is something we want soon after launch."

I'll find the actual link in a minute.

Just throwing this out there since my earlier post seems to have been ignored, TANKS MUST RESPEC TO RUN THE END GAME OPERATION KARAGGA'S PALACE. This concept of all classes being able to do something is wrong.

put that in your pipe and smoke it.

lol why you so silly?

They most certainly do not have to respec. Simply put on your dps gear, and change your class buff.

I find the the whole thing that We need dual specc because

I play a Tank or Healer and i cant do as much dps as a DPS specced character.

Sotherefor the dps specced player will have higher kill rate and get more xp per minute then me and therefor level faster

So please introduce dual specc so i can level as fast as them as pure ludicrous.

What some people are basicly looking for is that all should be the same none should stick out none should have some advantages over another.

Everyone should be Jack of all trades with the exception that everyone should be good on everything wihout any cost or tradeoff attached

If tanks and healers did as much damage as damage then damage would be severely underpowered.

Damage: Ha, you're gonna die because I kill fast.

Tank: Ha, you're not gonna kill me, so in the meantime, I'll chip at your health

Heal: Ha, I can heal myself, the best of all, but I require another to be any decent. But still. Heals. So OP.

Pick one. K? good, now go launch and play.

KP has no need for a tank, the mobs hit for about 500 per person and the last boss isnt meant to be tanked, he randomly targets people and is immune to taunts. This is by design, so as a tank i'm asked to respec as dps.

You'll find this out one way or another once you hit 50.

Actually.. Dual Spec is so wrong....

Feels like cheating to me.

Or more like spoiling people who cant choose and want everything easy.

If you want to tank... roll a tank.

If you want to healer ... roll a healer.

etc..

Whats wrong with creating 3 chars?...

And if you dont want to roll 3 chars... then you have to pay for the privilege of not having to level up 2-3 chars.

Sounds normal to me.

Being able to create 1 char that can fill 3 rolls on the fly is not only "to easy" ... its also just plain unrealistic (yes.. i said it.. unrealistic in a fantasy game!!)

But hey.. it'll probably be implemented cause there are more people wanting easy-play then there are people that want a challenge

since when did leveling up characters become challenging? Unless you're implying that you're so bad at this game you actually find it difficult to level up.

time consuming =/= challenging

Edited by SickerthanSars

fixed that for you.

You fixed nothing.. There is no problem..

People can change spec now.. If you are going to edit someone's quote.. At least have it make sense and be accurate..

There is no problem.. They shouldn't add something that will reduce the quality of the game or the characters.. Not to mention the players at large..

There is already a means by which that people can change their spec.. That is enough..

Thanks again for editing my quote.. You might want to check your facts first.. There is no problem.. The game is fine.. The issue is with players.. Not the game.. The game shouldn't play itself for you.. ;)

They shouldn't add something that will reduce the quality of the game or the characters.. Not to mention the players at large..

There is already a means by which that people can change their spec.. That is enough..

Thanks again for editing my quote.. You might want to check your facts first.. There is no problem.. The game is fine.. The issue is with players.. Not the game.. The game shouldn't play itself for you.. ;)

How exactly does adding dual spec reduce the quality of the game? Or the players? Do players automatically lose 20 IQ points when dual spec is added? Do Encounter Designers go out of their way to make fights that require 10 of your 16 raid members to be healers?

NOTHING about game quality is changed by giving players flexibility. If players are bad, then, as you said, "the problem is with the players...not the game"

There ARE no facts saying that dual spec'd 'ruined the game' in any MMO, because 'ruined' is an opinion, and cannot be supported by facts. If you dont like it, fine, dont use it. That's still not an argument against something that makes dungeons, pvp, raiding, and questing (just in case you didnt notice, that is EVERY aspect of gameplay) easier, more fun, and less monotonous.

As promised:

http://www.swtor.com/news/news-article/20110916

A: Dual Speccing is something we want to add soon after launch.

Yes, Dual spec is coming, so there's no need to keep asking.

We are still in the launch phase. You might start looking for it by expansion time, I would guess.

But if they put it in, they need to consider players who won't use it and be sure to give them perks as well.

How exactly does adding dual spec reduce the quality of the game? Or the players? Do players automatically lose 20 IQ points when dual spec is added? Do Encounter Designers go out of their way to make fights that require 10 of your 16 raid members to be healers?

NOTHING about game quality is changed by giving players flexibility. If players are bad, then, as you said, "the problem is with the players...not the game"

There ARE no facts saying that dual spec'd 'ruined the game' in any MMO, because 'ruined' is an opinion, and cannot be supported by facts. If you dont like it, fine, dont use it. That's still not an argument against something that makes dungeons, pvp, raiding, and questing (just in case you didnt notice, that is EVERY aspect of gameplay) easier, more fun, and less monotonous.

It's not worth arguing with these people, invispoet. There is no valid argument against having Dual spec, and sadly they know it. They just come up with some stupid statement like, "it ruins the game"... but then they can't actually back up their statement with facts and evidence that it has a negative effect on the game.

These are the types of people that argue against any suggestion made that BW didn't think of themselves.

Edited by Kashaan

How exactly does adding dual spec reduce the quality of the game?

We've answered this 50 times if we've answered it once. Spend some time in the thread.

So instant map travel to any location in the galaxy is ok then? Yes or no?

Just trying to find your imaginary line of convenience.

We are still in the launch phase. You might start looking for it by expansion time, I would guess.

But if they put it in, they need to consider players who won't use it and be sure to give them perks as well.

Yes, because them GIVING you a perk, and you being retardedly stubborn and refusing to use it is THEIR fault.

This right here is the entire problem. Self entitled ***** that think they deserve everything just because they want it, or because "the other guy" got something. It's like crying because mommy gave your brother a bigger piece of candy than she gave you.

As promised:

http://www.swtor.com/news/news-article/20110916

A: Dual Speccing is something we want to add soon after launch.

Yes, Dual spec is coming, so there's no need to keep asking.

Just like the Legacy system will be coming soon after launch.... that interviewer didn't properly transcribe that interview, Bioware didn't mean soon, they meant Soon™.

"Launch" can be defined as any time from the day of release, to the end of the free month. "Soon" is a relative term which implies a relatively short time. For BW, this has stretched as far as a couple months.

Based on BW's track record, it's safe to assume that Dual spec will be in 1-2 months after launch... i.e. February or March.

We've answered this 50 times if we've answered it once. Spend some time in the thread.

Actually, you haven't. You keep saying you have, but you never actually DO.

So instant map travel to any location in the galaxy is ok then? Yes or no? Just trying to find your imaginary line of convenience.

Typical strawman argument. This has nothing to do with the current topic. No one in this thread (or on these forums, most likely) is asking for instant travel anywhere. Once again you fail to point out how dual spec would be a detriment to the game, and then run around pointing "BUT IF WE DID THIS COMPLETELY UNRELATED THING, IT WOULD BE STUPID"

Edited by invispoet

"Launch" can be defined as any time from the day of release, to the end of the free month. "Soon" is a relative term which implies a relatively short time. For BW, this has stretched as far as a couple months.

Based on BW's track record, it's safe to assume that Dual spec will be in 1-2 months after launch... i.e. February or March.

Lol.... based on Bioware's track record, you'd be lucky to have it in 1-2 YEARS. They move slow as hell on things and don't talk about it.

Yes, because them GIVING you a perk, and you being retardedly stubborn and refusing to use it is THEIR fault.

This right here is the entire problem. Self entitled ***** that think they deserve everything just because they want it, or because "the other guy" got something. It's like crying because mommy gave your brother a bigger piece of candy than she gave you.

I'm going to give you a minute to let the hypocracy of what you just said sink in.

The entitled ones like yourself demand the game to have features are not in, and weren't intended.

Go figure.

Typical strawman argument. This has nothing to do with the current topic. No one in this thread (or on these forums, most likely) is asking for instant travel anywhere. Once again you fail to point out how dual spec would be a detriment to the game, and then run around pointing "BUT IF WE DID THIS COMPLETELY UNRELATED THING, IT WOULD BE STUPID"

It has everything to do with the current topic. You argue for convenience.

Answer it.