Please allow dual spec or cap respec costs.

Vraxzen

I think this is probably the first mmo where you cant use the "its slow leveling as a tank/healer" argument as you have companions. I have leveled as a sword and board paladin and armsman in daoc, prot warrior in wow and also sword and board ironbreaker in war, they were slow! However on my juggernaut which is now lvl 42 i can adapt to any situation with a healing or dps companion.

I would fall on the againsr duel spec side dof the fence because i thonk it just diminishes the decisions people take and makes everyone generic.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SWTOR is a video game. People should be able to play the game however they please whether they choose to change specs often or choose to completely immerse in some RP. I have nothing against RP but i dont understand why RPers expect everyone else playing the same video to RP in order for them to enjoy there own RPing. You are free to RP but likewise, anyone else that happens to be paying the exact same amount for the game as you are has the right to play the game how they prefer aswell.

These forums are for people that are paying to play this video game and those people have every right to ask here for a feature that is already included in most modern mainstream MMO's.Bioware does not have to implement anything requested for on these forums, but it would be in thier best interest to implement dual spec. They are, after all, producing games to make money.

I fail to see how dual spec would truly effect RP for other players, as well as how it would effect those who dont want it. If you dont want it then dont use it, simple as that. On the flip side I also beleive that dual spec is not REQUIRED in order for the game to be fun. It is a mere convenience (not laziness) that has more upside than downside. Being able to quest as DPS and to flashpoints and operations as healer/tank, as well as being able to switch roles in order to aid your guild / operation group are the two obviouse ones.

Will adding dual spec truly wreck the community? Its not going to change the actual players that are playing the game. I dont think that dual spec could have a worse effect on the community than these forums already do.

This is all my opinion ofcoarse. I would like to see Dual Spec, as well as Macros and a more customizable UI. Quickslot bars need an overhaul (look to bartender please)

And the reasoning behind that would be? Except making it a pain in the ***? Ah a compromise so nobody would be able to get it anyways.

Except for GTN-professionals and Creditbuyers. And neither deserve it.

What's with all this WORK and EARNING stuff.

I don't even work in real life, I'm 23 have my own flat and never moved a single finger in my entire life. Think you can make me work in a game to actually have fun? The majority thinks like me, the majority doesn't care about earning, the majority would stop working once they hit a jackpot.

Bioware has to cater to people like me since we are the future.

In that case why even have

levels ?

Mounts for credits

Credits

Gear

and so on

why not turn it into a lobby game instead ?

Instant teleportation between quest hubs and quests just push a button and recieve whatever

Would that suit youre gamestyle better?

Edited by Varghjerta

Still waiting for a valid reason not to have some form of Dual Spec.

You already have valid reasons, you're just ignoring them. For fun, however, let's do a Letterman-style Top 10 recap:

Reasons To Not Implement Dual-Spec

#10: Influences generic, FOTM character builds

#9: Its existence influences game design negatively

#8: It's an RPG, all characters do something well, but not everything well

#7: Doesn't push developers to strive for equality (and quality) in all specs

#6: All specs are viable already

#5: Min/max'ers are fringe cases, not the majority

#4: The first step is switching specs on the fly, next will be ACs

#3: It dilutes the meaning of even choosing a spec and build in the first place

#2: "Convenience (la-z-mode)" isn't a game mechanic

And the #1 reason the ability to quickly and cheaply swap specs anywhere, at any time is unnecessary.....

You can already switch specs which solves every game-related problem you could mention.

I think this is probably the first mmo where you cant use the "its slow leveling as a tank/healer" argument as you have companions.

Incredibly solid point... this is precisely why dual specs aren't needed - you always have a damage class with you no matter what spec you are.

+3 for thinking of this :)

I find the the whole thing that We need dual specc because

I play a Tank or Healer and i cant do as much dps as a DPS specced character.

Sotherefor the dps specced player will have higher kill rate and get more xp per minute then me and therefor level faster

So please introduce dual specc so i can level as fast as them as pure ludicrous.

What some people are basicly looking for is that all should be the same none should stick out none should have some advantages over another.

Everyone should be Jack of all trades with the exception that everyone should be good on everything wihout any cost or tradeoff attached

You do realize what you just said here right? all classes here SHOULD be jack of all trades. The bottom line should come down to skill and aptitude with that character, not an unfair advantage over other classes.

I'm assuming that given your statement you have not played any other MMO's. If you create a class that is better than any others, guess what? Everyone and their mother will roll that class. Do you not see a problem there? 6 million BH's running around and no warriors, inquisitors, IA's?

It is a known fact that dps has a higher kill rate and will more than likely level faster than tank/healer specced players. In doing this, you create an army of dps players, as if that needed to be helped anyhow, and increase the shortage of players who are willing to respec every 10 seconds when someone needs a tank/healer for a FP or OPS that they need to run.

I imagine that most of the people against this are probably pure dps players. Before you start flaming, keep in mind I said MOST. I'm all for challenging game content, but slamming your keyboard against your head because you've spent 30 min in an area killing for a bonus mission and then watching some dps come in and destroy the entire room in 5 min leaving you 1 or 2 short of completing your mission is ridiculous. That's not challenging, that's just dumb. Dual spec didn't kill wow or any other MMO, mindless ************ about needless things will ultimately kill anything. And unless I"m mistaken, WoW is still alive.

Not every player is as hardcore as some of you. I understand you are just too leet for the game content and you want to fight NPC's with 100k health at lvl 1 with no companion while your character is naked. That's fine, you can do that, just leave me, and the rest of the tanks/healers out of your little reindeer games. If you don't like dual spec, don't use it. Something tells me you will though...

This is caused by poorly designed talent trees, not by the ability to dual spec.

This is a myth. They create content for the group size/desired composition. Dual speccing just allows groups of players (guilds) to fill that composition more easily.

This is a misconception i've seen at least a dozen times on these forums "Role playing game" does NOT mean that you "choose one role", it means that you are putting yourself in the ROLE of your character/avatar. You are PLAYING his ROLE in the game world. Dual speccing does not change this.

This is completely false. There are the same amount of specs, and the same specs, available to players regardles of whether or not they can change specs easily. The designers have the SAME EXACT amount of available specs to balance either way. Dual speccing does not affect this.

This has no bearing on dual spec at all, completely irrelevant. It doesnt matter if the specs are viable or not.

have you seen the flashpoint/operations forums? Unless you have biowares stats on how many people are running which content, you can't make assumptions like this. Most players min/max to varying levels. They want to be good dps, but they want to have fun too. They want to be a good tank, but they want to have fun at the same time. Allowing dual specs has NO impact on their ability to min/max, and it INCREASES the amount of fun they have, by giving them the ability to NOT feel crippled when not in a group (specifically tanks and healers)

Some misguided people are already asking for this (which i believe will never happen)...but, this is another assumption. Can you predict next week's lottery numbers for me while you're at it?

The classes and specs still have meaning, whether Dual speccing is included or not. All dual speccing does is allow people to make groups for specific content more easily. Your healer got wife agro? Tank had to work late? without dual specs, in these cases, 7-15 other players are now unable to raid unless someone takes the time/credits to respec. While i agree there should be a cost assigned to dual spec, when you consider that absolutely NO class has the ability to tank AND heal given to them, it's not that big of an issue.

No it's not, but when people have to spend 45 minutes doing dailies, just so they can respec to play the part of the game they WANT to play, it's not fun. If players are NOT having fun, they wont continue to pay to play. If they dont continue to pay, then the game won't generate enough profit, and then everyone suffers.

You can already switch specs which solves every game-related problem you could mention.

This works both ways. If I already have the option to switch specs whenever I want to, why not streamline the process, make it save my hotbars for each of my specs, allow me to pay the credit cost without having to go to the fleet, or just save 2 specs for me (ie, dual speccing). Having to go to the fleet to change spec doesnt hurt ME, it hurts the 15 other ppeople that are waiting on me, which is not good.

Edited by invispoet

Actually.. Dual Spec is so wrong....

Feels like cheating to me.

Or more like spoiling people who cant choose and want everything easy.

If you want to tank... roll a tank.

If you want to healer ... roll a healer.

etc..

Whats wrong with creating 3 chars?...

And if you dont want to roll 3 chars... then you have to pay for the privilege of not having to level up 2-3 chars.

Sounds normal to me.

Being able to create 1 char that can fill 3 rolls on the fly is not only "to easy" ... its also just plain unrealistic (yes.. i said it.. unrealistic in a fantasy game!!)

But hey.. it'll probably be implemented cause there are more people wanting easy-play then there are people that want a challenge

Agreed.

I don't mind lowering the spec costs to make it easier for someone to go from a Group Healer to a Solo player, but I am against making it mindlessly easy and am completely against dual specs of any sort. You already can spec yourself out as a healer with some DPS but last thing I want to see is combination classes where you can switch between being a Sage to a Shadow for example.

Edited by Daeborn

Agreed.

I don't mind lowering the spec costs to make it easier for someone to go from a Group Healer to a Solo player, but I am against making it mindlessly easy and am completely against dual specs of any sort. You already can spec yourself out as a healer with some DPS but last thing I want to see is combination classes where you can switch between being a Sage to a Shadow for example.

Nobody here is talking about combination classes as you stated of a sage being able to switch to a shadow. There are dps trees for all of the classes. If i'm a BH who likes to heal, there is a dps tree for me to switch too with dual spec that will help me complete my dailies.

As I stated before, nobody is forcing you to use dual spec. If you don't like it, shut your mouth and don't use it. Wait a minute....why am I bringing that logic in here. OUT WITH YOU LOGIC!!! I have a sneaking suspicion though that you would use dual spec if you roll a tank/healer class and it was available. I like to call them, closet users. :-)

No being able to switch is silly in a star wars universe game.. once you get the respec youll want more.. there will never be pleasing you guys that need everything in the game for 1 character.. now thats silly

No it's not lol.

He wants to have a role that groups need - few people have that mindset and fewer would be willing to respec for it. He HAS.

Instead of rewarding a player who is willing to change his AC tree to fill the role the group needs most, you think he is being silly.

I much prefer people like the OP to play this game than those who think one class, one spec is a good idea. MMOs, to me, are about building A character that YOU relate to. Multiple characters are fine, but I'll likely never have more than my one main toon. SWTOR is actually the very first MMO that has ever given me pause to that belief because I'd LIKE to try another class story.

The class HE chooses to play makes no difference to me. If he wants to spec one way for PvP, one way for group play and one way for solo play, I fully encourage and support his choice to choose.

Freedom is a GOOD thing in MMOs.

The reason it costs so much to reset your skills is... they want you to choose carefully and stick with your choice. The reason you can reset them is, they understand people make mistakes. People will want to play around with the tree & find the best skills for their play style.

It's not there for you to use multiple play styles! If you want to spend tons of credits swapping it back and forth each day, well that is your prerogative, I guess. But don't complain that it costs to much and demand they make it cheaper! It's supposed to be a deterrence.

Every advanced class has a place in PvE or PvP. They all have abilities. You don't need to use a cookie cutter spec for 1 thing, and another spec to do something else. That's just a mentality that is not needed in SWTOR. It's not that hard! I've left quotes from the devs a number of times.

We already have plenty of greedy people rolling need on things they want for a companion. We do not need more people rolling need for their off-spec as well.

I'm here to request the system stay as it is.

Thanks. :)

You already have valid reasons, you're just ignoring them. For fun, however, let's do a Letterman-style Top 10 recap:

Reasons To Not Implement Dual-Spec

Dual Spec doesn't influence this, Talent Trees do. Generic, FOTM Specs existed in WoW long before Dual Spec was introduced. And you know that already too! ;)

You have stated this many times, but never said exactly how it does this. If it is your other reasons in this list, then it is not a reason in and of itself.

This would still be true if Dual Spec were implemented. At any given time, a character would have a single spec defining that character's strengths and weaknesses. AC Design prevents any character from doing everything well.

(and if this game is so dedicated to RP, why are the vast majority of Servers NOT RP Servers, and why don't they even enforce Naming Conventions on RP Servers?)

You dodged the question the last time I asked it:

DO YOU HONESTLY BELIEVE THE BW ENCOUNTER DESIGNERS AREN'T ALREADY DESIGNING CONTENT AROUND OPTIMIZED SPECS?

Not in Warzone PvP. You know that too. You've admitted it in other discussions. You've even acknowledged how a player in my position is screwed over - I enjoy Healing in PvE and HATE it in Warfronts which means I'm FORCED to not play my character viably and enjoyably without incurring insane respec costs on a daily basis.

And you know that will change oh so much as more and more characters reach 50. The Story ends at 50. Flashpoints, Operations, and Warfronts go on. I didn't design the game. I would've made different choices.

But BW thought it was a good idea for Flashpoints to be designed around a group composition of at least 1 Tank and 1 Healer (and often no more than that) and Operations around 1 Tank and 3 Healers. The numbers don't add up. There will be huge Class Distribution Imbalances in Guilds at 50. It's already happening. It needs to be addressed.

Using the same argument that left us mired in Vietnam for over 10 years is both fallacious and petty :cool:

FOR YOU.

This one, more than any other, is not a logical reason but purely a personal preference one.

SWTOR isn't Skyrim. You repeat content all the time. Flashpoints, Operations, Warfronts... bosses and mobs get better. You die and get better. This game is first and foremost an MMO and because of other design choices BW made (see Group Composition etc.) they better make sure the MMO part is viable or there won't be anybody left for the RPG part.

Group Composition though is.

Their design was flawed from the outset. They chose WoW as a model. They chose "Holy Trinity" and "Talent Trees" as features. They decided on 4-person groups for Flashpoints with specific roles. They made PvP-specific gear and Warfronts.

They aren't going to redesign all the Content, so they better fix how people can engage and participate in it.

And the #1 reason the ability to quickly and cheaply swap specs anywhere, at any time is unnecessary.....

Please Lethality, we've had some good discussions - it's disappointing to see you being petty :(

It's not there for you to use multiple play styles! If you want to spend tons of credits swapping it back and forth each day, well that is your prerogative, I guess. But don't complain that it costs to much and demand they make it cheaper! It's supposed to be a deterrence.

Every advanced class has a place in PvE or PvP. They all have abilities. You don't need to use a cookie cutter spec for 1 thing, and another spec to do something else. That's just a mentality that is not needed in SWTOR. It's not that hard! I've left quotes from the devs a number of times.

Answer truthfully.

Have you played a Healer in PvE?

Have you played a Healer in PvP?

If you have for any amount of time, you would KNOW they are almost completely different play experiences.

As a PvE Healer I can support my group quite effectively so long as the Tank is doing the job, and I quite enjoy the support role I'm in.

PvP Healer? Might as well paint a bulls-eye on me. There aren't any mechanics in this game for my teammates to keep the other team from constantly Focus-Firing and CC'ing and Stunning me. I become more of a Tank than a Support as I am constantly struggling to keep myself alive rather than my teammates. The Guard Ability in the game doesn't cut it by the way. I'm still focus-fired (assuming the Tank stays near me :rolleyes:) and I'm still forced to heal myself rather than support my teammates.

Quite simply... I HATE it.

But I do enjoy PvP.

Your attitude ("your spec MATTERS - you MUST play it at all times!!!") really pisses me off. You want me to have this mystical bond to my character, and then tell me to roll a F#$%ing 2nd Scoundrel just to PvP?!?! Or to not play my Scoundrel at all in PvP?!? Because it's somehow "good" for the game if I can't participate in it on my character the way I want reasonably? (and I'm sorry, leveling up the costs for respecs are INSANE).

You like your one spec. You think it's teh awesomez! Great, play it, keep it... just don't force it on me :mad:

Please Lethality, we've had some good discussions - it's disappointing to see you being petty :(

How am I getting petty? The top 10 was in response to a poster who couldn't be bothered to study the thread and bring themselves up to speed. So it was a quippy little reply to get things rolling.

I'm a reasonable person and I realize have some pretty utopian game design visions that aren't always practical in reality. I understand the need for dual spec (though wish it hadn't come to this.) So mostly what I want to do now is protect the sanctity of the single spec if you choose to "tough it out".

Hence, my proposal about bonus to those who don't change specs without taking anything away from those who do change specs.

This is caused by poorly designed talent trees, not by the ability to dual spec.

Very true and precisely why I posted that players should be voicing their desire for all talent trees to be viable and competitive, not asking for a workaround like dual-spec which sidesteps the problem.

You do realize what you just said here right? all classes here SHOULD be jack of all trades. The bottom line should come down to skill and aptitude with that character, not an unfair advantage over other classes.

I'm assuming that given your statement you have not played any other MMO's. If you create a class that is better than any others, guess what? Everyone and their mother will roll that class. Do you not see a problem there? 6 million BH's running around and no warriors, inquisitors, IA's?

It is a known fact that dps has a higher kill rate and will more than likely level faster than tank/healer specced players. In doing this, you create an army of dps players, as if that needed to be helped anyhow, and increase the shortage of players who are willing to respec every 10 seconds when someone needs a tank/healer for a FP or OPS that they need to run.

I imagine that most of the people against this are probably pure dps players. Before you start flaming, keep in mind I said MOST. I'm all for challenging game content, but slamming your keyboard against your head because you've spent 30 min in an area killing for a bonus mission and then watching some dps come in and destroy the entire room in 5 min leaving you 1 or 2 short of completing your mission is ridiculous. That's not challenging, that's just dumb. Dual spec didn't kill wow or any other MMO, mindless ************ about needless things will ultimately kill anything. And unless I"m mistaken, WoW is still alive.

Not every player is as hardcore as some of you. I understand you are just too leet for the game content and you want to fight NPC's with 100k health at lvl 1 with no companion while your character is naked. That's fine, you can do that, just leave me, and the rest of the tanks/healers out of your little reindeer games. If you don't like dual spec, don't use it. Something tells me you will though...

I said jack of all trades but with the exception that they should excel in 2 different things in the game.

But basicly youre suggestion let everyone and his mother should be able to Tank/heal within a press of a button while lvling up.....

Just because Dps is more popular

Why even bother with skill points in that case why not only do 2 buttons

Dps------------------Tank/Healer

And so what if DPS do kill things faster, Healers and Tanks do not kill slow in this game either instead we have great solobility calling lvling as a tank and healer hardcore just proves that you basicly havent touched either Tank or healer in this game

Or are you complaining that someone do something s better then you in the game and that is unfair ?

Edited by Varghjerta

Very true and precisely why I posted that players should be voicing their desire for all talent trees to be viable and competitive, not asking for a workaround like dual-spec which sidesteps the problem.

Dual Spec doesn't sidestep the problem though, because the problem is "Holy Trinity Class Designs with Talent Trees":jawa_tongue:

The only thing I can come up with would be for BW to ditch the Skill (Talent Point) System altogether and have every AC be equally good at two Roles at all times (not sure what to do with Gunslinger or Sentinel - maybe make them Support (Buffs/Debuffs) along with DPS, or maybe give GS Tank/DPS and Sentinel Heal/DPS so all Core Classes can fill each of the 3 Roles but each AC only 2 of the 3).

At that point, a Commando would always be both a Medic and a Weapons Specialist.

They could balance the Content around that, and respeccing wouldn't be needed.

Quite simply... I HATE it.

But I do enjoy PvP.

Your attitude ("your spec MATTERS - you MUST play it at all times!!!") really pisses me off. You want me to have this mystical bond to my character, and then tell me to roll a F#$%ing 2nd Scoundrel just to PvP?!?! Or to not play my Scoundrel at all in PvP?!? Because it's somehow "good" for the game if I can't participate in it on my character the way I want reasonably? (and I'm sorry, leveling up the costs for respecs are INSANE).

You like your one spec. You think it's teh awesomez! Great, play it, keep it... just don't force it on me :mad:

^

Absolutely this

And people will quit over it, you want people to quit the game just so you can have some old-school crap that nobody wants? It doesn't matter if the tree is 150% viable, I'd not want to tank in PvP even if it were completely overpowered because in PvP I want to kill stuff.

Want me to quit the game rather than just bend your stupid MMO-Dogma?

Edited by Durio

I have been a tank/healer in every MMO I have played. From what I understand, those against Dual Spec would prefer that all of us tanks/healers that want to dual spec in order to pvp/pve with something different, just roll DPS. I'm sure that will be extremely helpful when everyone is having six hour waits because there isn't more than one or two tanks in the game.

I should not be punished because I am one of the FEW people that wants to play a very necessary roll. This is a Trinity MMO, tank, healer and DPS. DPS will ALWAYS be more numerous than healers, which are generally more numerous than tanks. Why would you want to discourage more people from tanking, and we're not just talking about bad/casual tanks. I LOVE to tank, but I also want to be able to experience the game in the same fun way that all the sheep that chose DPS get to experience it, not be stuck leveling in the slowest possible way.

Yes, I can group up with people and make sure that I never walk anywhere unless I have called three of my friends and gotten them to drop what they are doing and log in to help me, but that is a gimped leveling experience that you can compensate for. I guarantee that most of the DPS telling tanks/healers to just group up aren't spending EVERY moment of the game grouped. They are out killing things quickly and having a fun time leveling, and that is all we want.

I have been a tank/healer in every MMO I have played. From what I understand, those against Dual Spec would prefer that all of us tanks/healers that want to dual spec in order to pvp/pve with something different, just roll DPS. I'm sure that will be extremely helpful when everyone is having six hour waits because there isn't more than one or two tanks in the game.

I should not be punished because I am one of the FEW people that wants to play a very necessary roll. This is a Trinity MMO, tank, healer and DPS. DPS will ALWAYS be more numerous than healers, which are generally more numerous than tanks. Why would you want to discourage more people from tanking, and we're not just talking about bad/casual tanks. I LOVE to tank, but I also want to be able to experience the game in the same fun way that all the sheep that chose DPS get to experience it, not be stuck leveling in the slowest possible way.

Yes, I can group up with people and make sure that I never walk anywhere unless I have called three of my friends and gotten them to drop what they are doing and log in to help me, but that is a gimped leveling experience that you can compensate for. I guarantee that most of the DPS telling tanks/healers to just group up aren't spending EVERY moment of the game grouped. They are out killing things quickly and having a fun time leveling, and that is all we want.

Actually do we play the same game ?

What you said is true in other MMO's but actually not in this .

Both healers and tanks have a great solobility as it stands now thanks to the companions .

But it really does seem like many people are using the in WoW Tanks and healers sucked soloing so that must mean they suck in this game which is wrong

Edited by Varghjerta

See.. Here is what is wrong with your post.. First.. This isn't WOW.. People can DPS and PVP in their normal PVE spec.. Bioware specifically designed it that way.. So there really is no PVP spec.. All specs have their benifits and draw backs.. But all are viable in PVP.. Nobody is going to be waiting 6 hours for tanks and healers either.. Most raid leaders, at least the good ones, make sure they they have the right peeps from the start.. But this game also has companions.. Which can be switched out at any time.. They also come in tank, heals, and DPS flavors..

Nobody is punishing you.. But if are to lazy to roll a character for each type of play.. Why play an MMO?? Nobody should have a character that just does it all and Bioware shouldn't cater to those that want one.. Again you need to play this game.. Tanks do pretty close to the same damage as a dedicated DPS.. All tank and healer classes are viable.. You are also forgetting about companions.. If you are a tank, then either take a healing or DPS companion with you.. PVE is not impossible as a tank or a healer in this game.. It is quite fun.. You really need to try the game.. Your preconceived ideas are simply wrong..

As for the last part of your post?? Not much to say there.. Other than you clearly haven't played this game to long.. Not to worry.. Most people haven't.. It is has only been out for a few weeks.. You should give it some time.. Learn the game and the companions system.. Not to mention at least one character.. You might find that most of your arguements are moot.. Or at the very least apply to another MMO and not this one.. ;)

Edited by MajikMyst

I just dont understand the reasoning behind people against dual spec. There is a thing called pvp in the game and I dont do PVE with same spec I do PVP. I want to have 2 specs so that I can switch my spec accordingly.

Even PVE, whats wrong with having 2 specs like Tank/dps, DPS/healer etc.

Many boss encounters require 1 tank, so in that case second tank and switch to dps and switch back to the encounter where it requires 2 tanks.

If you are a person who thinks that there should not be a dual spec, please roll a second BH just for healing and keep current for dps. Do you think it makes any kind of sense.

This should be an option and people who are against it should not go for it. Simple as that.