Every group is full of greedy ninja companion looters.

haluo

• Replies 802
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this thread shows 2 things:

1) Always agree on loot rules before your PuG enters an FP

2) SWTOR may have been better off coming up and/or using another system than the standard need before greed system for the majority of group loot (e.g. token system, loot containers, etc.)

2) SWTOR may have been better off coming up and/or using another system than the standard need before greed system for the majority of group loot (e.g. token system, loot containers, etc.)

lol, nice summary.

What server you on lets group ill be rich!!!

You have magic dice?

Also, no. I don't want to group with you. I only group under the following conditions:

1) I'm bored

2) A RL friend wants to group

3) I'm about to kill off a long respawn quest NPC, and you look like you need it (I'll pop an invite before it dies)

4) I'm feeling charitable

Agree with others, just add a new button and ppl can stop whinging!

Roll Options:

1) Need

2) Companion

3) Greed

Priority is in that order, no-one who wants something for their companion will miss out if no-one else needs it for their main PC.

1 little button solves it!

Likewise, if my companion isn't in fairly current (for their level) gear, not only I, but my companion, would be guaranteed to go down. If we didn't, it would be because I had to use a medpack to stay alive, and lucked out with a crit at a vital point in the fight.

This is simply false. Companions don't really NEED to have bleeding edge gear. Not at all. Not even close. The odds and ends that you come across while questing are more than sufficient. There is also commendation gear. You also have the option to go back and solo the place for the moddable loot that you might want for your companion. Our need to gear our companions is simply not that urgent.

But....if you think it's totally fine to waste everyone's time by greedily rolling on items for your companion over the other members in your group (you know, the people who helped you kill the mob that dropped the loot), I can only say that it says something ugly about your personality, at least in how you present yourself in the game. It's selfish and greedy. You are selfish and greedy.

Selfish.

And greedy.

Edited by belialle

The fun part of this is that any other system would be getting complaints, too. The only way that really works is #1. If everyone's on the same page right up front, then there aren't problems.

If you did that, I might say something like, "Seriously? You're going to roll Need on everything?"

If you said, "Yes," then I'd probably just roll my eyes, and start doing the same...or not.

I think I've clicked my Need button a grand total of three times since July, but whatever. I've never complained about anyone else hitting Need.

Then you don't have anything to worry about. That's the way to do it.

If you group with random strangers to accomplish a mission, you should go in with no expectations other than completing the mission. Loot is just a bonus. The dice distribute that.

Thats a fair point.

Roll Options:

1) Need

2) Companion

3) Greed

Priority is in that order, no-one who wants something for their companion will miss out if no-one else needs it for their main PC.

That solves nothing.

It doesn't prevent anyone from pressing Need.

The only solution is to not BE the problem.

BioWare cannot prevent you from whining about who rolls on what.

It's not BioWare's problem to solve. It's yours.

Roll Options:

1) Need

2) Companion

3) Greed

Unfortunately, as many people before have mentioned, that one little button wouldn't solve anything at all once you get to the point that everyone has multiple companions and could conceivably "Companion Need" on everything. Then you're right back in the same boat.

This is simply false. Companions don't really NEED to have bleeding edge gear. Not at all. Not even close. The odds and ends that you come across while questing are more than sufficient. There is also commendation gear. Our need to gear our companions is simply not that urgent.

But....if you think it's totally fine to waste everyone's time by greedily rolling on items for your companion over the other members in your group (you know, the people who helped you kill the mob that dropped the loot), I can only say that it says something ugly about your personality, at least in how you present yourself in the game. It's selfish and greedy. You are selfish and greedy.

Selfish.

And greedy.

But you are doing nothing wrong, you are improvinh your character. Its not like you need that one item on your character or game will be destroyed either.

The fun part of this is that any other system would be getting complaints, too. The only way that really works is #1. If everyone's on the same page right up front, then there aren't problems.

So, what kind of drama will people create if everyone got their own loot aka Guild Wars?

No thanks. One of the things I love about the current system is that I can give my companions my hand-me-downs. This would destroy much of that.

Then again, I really don't care for loot drama, and if someone really thinks he need some drop for his companion, I won't throw a fit if he rolls on it. It's far easier to just make a personal note that the guy's a bit of a jerk and go on to better things. Then again, unlike the OP, I've never had this happen to me yet, even though I've run a lot of flashpoints. Either he's exaggerating, or he's got some really awful luck.

Considering the part about George Lucas somehow being responsible for companion AI, I have to wonder how much of what's been going on he really understands.

Post of the day right here. :D

So, what kind of drama will people create if everyone got their own loot aka Guild Wars?

I'd be willing to bet (and maybe this is just me being cynical) that if Need vs. Greed wasn't implemented, people would be screaming for it as soon as they saw "their" gear being given to someone else.

Then again, I played Guild Wars for about 5 minutes a long time ago and I'm not very familiar with how loot's handled there. If you're proposing giving everyone loot... well, that'd have some pretty serious economic impact, wouldn't it?

Edited by imtrick

I'd be willing to bet (and maybe this is just me being cynical) that if Need vs. Greed wasn't implemented, people would be screaming for it as soon as they saw "their" gear being given to someone else.

Then again, I played Guild Wars for about 5 minutes a long time ago and I'm not very familiar with how loot's handled there.

Probably, but no more than you have people whining about someone clicking needs when they were not "supposed" to.

The problem with that is you're the only one who will suffer. Your trusted friends aren't online? You can't get anyone to join your group? Nothing is on TV, and you're snowed in during a blizzard?

May as well join that PUG. You never know. You could have a lucky dice roll. Either way, you get social points, commendations, etc.

I don't dissagree, but theres always something else to do and if I was truly that bored that I did decide to PuG then I expect stupidity, if everyones good people then bonus. Although I don't agree with people needing for their companions its part of the game even if I don't like it.

But you are doing nothing wrong, you are improvinh your character. Its not like you need that one item on your character or game will be destroyed either.

I'm not saying that it is wrong to improve one's character. I am saying that you are not the only person in the group who matters. The other 3 people also contributed to the group. Without them, you would not have killed the boss to get the loot. To roll on an item that someone else in the group needs is basically saying, "I don't respect you. I don't value your time because I am the only person who matters here. I don't appreciate that you helped me get through this content. Screw you."

So would you be fine if I needed on gear that I planned to vendor?

I need that hundred credits. Those jukebox songs are not going to change themselves!

One is helpful to your levelling.

The other not so much.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.