No love for the "Light Side" players...

FooBard

The other day, I saw this Commando standing at the Trade Center and went WOAH! "Look at that dudes face!!!!" He looked pure evil!

So, I had this discussion with some guys at work about "dark side corruption". Basically, every character starts out on a level playing field. Alignment = 0.

As a character progresses towards the Dark Side, their physical appearance CHANGES. Pale skinned... exposed viens.... dark red eyes...

What some players might think of as a "cool factor", while other may go "ewwww" (me, I go ewwww).

That said, Here's the problem.

What about us players who progress towards the "Light Side"?? Why do we get no physical appearance change????

Doesn't really seem fair.

I can walk by a player and just KNOW by looking at them they are Dark Side... I have NO IDEA if a player is Light Side unless I inspect them, and find them wearing gear that "requires Light 3" or something.

I am asking that Light Side characters receive some sort of physical appearance change as we progress towards the Light!

Maybe instead of "Dark Red" eyes, our eyes have a Glow to them?

Maybe instead of "Pale" skin, our skin has a shimmer to it?

No, I don't want a Halo. LOL.

But.... Something, please?

How about some Love for the Light Side players? :hope_06:

Thanks

Edited by FooBard

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So far as I understand it, this serves the constraints of the Star Wars IP. The dark side physically corrupts, the light side does nothing. Personally, if light side made my eyes glow, I'd just turn it off.

It's not supposed to be a game mechanic to reveal alignments, it's a "flavor."

Edited by Jairec

Maybe instead of "Pale" skin, our skin has a shimmer to it?

I already see enough Edwardcullens running around, we don't need sparkly skin.

There's nothing in lore to support light side having any sort of visual effect. Obi Wan looked like just another old guy, and Yoda looked like any other frog.

No need for it, and no lore basis for it.

I play mostly light side, and I do not want appearance changes. They'd go against everything in Star Wars lore. This isn't Fable.

there would be an option to turn it off just as there is now to turn off dark side corruption .. what's the big deal? if you don't like it .. turn it off

You get a character title (The Honorable) when you reach Light side III and im sure others too when you go higher, so thats one way of showing off your 'lightsidedness. Not sure why anyone would care though, people arent going to be saying "oh look at this, we got ourselves a lightside badazz" Edited by ZakMorgan

I already see enough Edwardcullens running around, we don't need sparkly skin.

There's nothing in lore to support light side having any sort of visual effect. Obi Wan looked like just another old guy, and Yoda looked like any other frog.

I have yet to see Obi Wan or Yoda in this game. where does it say this game has to follow original star wars lore?

No need for it, and no lore basis for it.

I play mostly light side, and I do not want appearance changes. They'd go against everything in Star Wars lore. This isn't Fable.

Not true, this is tor. Not episode 1-6. Have you played kotor 1 or 2? While I could care less I know that kotor showed both sides, I'm not sure if it was just in the character screen or not it has been a while but they showed effects for both sides.

I understand that you feel it is only fair to have a visual change for both sides, but as someone else stated the idea is that going Dark Side physically corrupts you hence the change in appearance. The Light Side does not affect appearance.

I will agree with you/sign your petition or whatever IF you can find a reference in star wars lore of there ACTUALLY being a physical appearance change for Light Side jedi.

I understand that you feel it is only fair to have a visual change for both sides, but as someone else stated the idea is that going Dark Side physically corrupts you hence the change in appearance. The Light Side does not affect appearance.

I will agree with you/sign your petition or whatever IF you can find a reference in star wars lore of there ACTUALLY being a physical appearance change for Light Side jedi.

kotor 1 and 2. Which is the timeline this game is based off of.

Not true, this is tor. Not episode 1-6. Have you played kotor 1 or 2? While I could care less I know that kotor showed both sides, I'm not sure if it was just in the character screen or not it has been a while but they showed effects for both sides.

They showed effects in your character panel, yes. An effect other people could see? Not that I remember (and I just finished playing KOTOR I again a month or so ago).

I can't remember a single case where the light side visibly changed your appearance to other people (except maybe to Miraluka, but they already have functionality for that in the game).

Edited by imtrick

They showed effects in your character panel, yes. An effect other people could see? Not that I remember (and I just finished playing KOTOR I again a month or so ago).

I can't remember a single case where the light side visibly changed your appearance to other people (except maybe to Miraluka, but they already have functionality for that in the game).

Well being as kotor was a single player game there probably wasn't much need for the physical change, but it was in the character panel. I don't think there is a need for it I just think the OP may have a fair point. If you dont want your lightside glow or whatever you can turn it off just like you can for the sith corruption. Seems like a pretty cool feature to me.

Edited by Zerothreat

The Op rises one of the major problems for ToR as an MMO in the long run.

The I.P. focuses all is coolness on the "dark" side.

That is, in around 3-4 months (unless other classes proof highly superior mechanic wise), we will have an incredible bias towards the sith class, which not only rises a faction imbalance, but also a intra-faction (class) imbalance.

Unless something changes to make Light Side more attractive, the MMO (mostly PvP) aspect will suffer - until they start to ammend by class balance (Rogue Legendary dare you :>) ...

kotor 1 and 2. Which is the timeline this game is based off of.

The only thing that changed in KOTOR 1 was the background of the character panal and the way the character stood. Their physical appearance didn't change. And while I didn't play very much of KOTOR 2 I am pretty sure it's the same thing.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.