Suggestion: Remove Restrictions on Blue/Green/Red Crystals

ErikModi

My thoughts are this: if we had a greater array of colors, this would be much less of an issue.

However, I'm in favor of removing all restrictions for this reason: if the restriction is supposed to be a "consequence" of choosing light or dark, it's a pretty damn weak one. If the crystals actually did something *different* from one another, that would be a consequence. For example, if the blue/green crystals had no crit available, or if the red had no alacrity available, that would be a significant difference. As it stands, I can craft or purchase a crystal of a color I can use and slot it into any piece of gear I like and get the effect I'm looking for. This is not a consequence, it's a merely a cosmetic restriction.

Hell, if there actually *were* gear for neutrals, I'd HAVE my sith bend away from the darkside. As it stands, the only way I'm gonna be able to make morally ambiguous choices AND get decent endgame gear is to go darkside.

I'd prefer to be a side-neutral Sith who wields a silver-white saber :p

So according to you, all the restrictions should be on *Jedi*, not Sith, aye? So Sith should be able to use whichever they like. I'm fine with that :)

You know, I thought of pointing out the same linguistic error, and just decided not to trigger that debate.

My thoughts are this: if we had a greater array of colors, this would be much less of an issue.

However, I'm in favor of removing all restrictions for this reason: if the restriction is supposed to be a "consequence" of choosing light or dark, it's a pretty damn weak one. If the crystals actually did something *different* from one another, that would be a consequence. For example, if the blue/green crystals had no crit available, or if the red had no alacrity available, that would be a significant difference. As it stands, I can craft or purchase a crystal of a color I can use and slot it into any piece of gear I like and get the effect I'm looking for. This is not a consequence, it's a merely a cosmetic restriction.

Hell, if there actually *were* gear for neutrals, I'd HAVE my sith bend away from the darkside. As it stands, the only way I'm gonna be able to make morally ambiguous choices AND get decent endgame gear is to go darkside.

I'd prefer to be a side-neutral Sith who wields a silver-white saber :p

I'd love to see more neutral-oriented gear, rewarding players who walk that difficult path between Light and Dark (with all the quest options that only have two outcome choices, I imagine this gets pretty difficult pretty quickly, especially since you may not know how many Light or Dark points you get for a particular option.)

But I imagine people would be even more annoyed at this restriction than they are now if there were different stats available to different sides. I imagine that some who claim to like this idea because it's a "consequence" would be up in arms if they suddenly couldn't get a crystal with the stats their build needs because of the Light/Dark restrictions.

Now, I could see adding certain benefits to high-end Light/Dark only crystals. Say, a red crystal that provides +20 Force Power for Sith Powers, or blue/green crystals that provide a +20 for Jedi powers. Doesn't matter that my Sith can't use the blue/green crystal, he wouldn't get a benefit from it anyway, and he can grab a red one with the same modifier that works for him.

I was wondering how long till this debate popped up again, I followed it closely during the beta.

Personally I'm against the restrictions, but as it stands they are there, and I'm playing a neutral Jedi Knight with 1 Blue and 1 Red saber.

Here's something. . . perhaps, instead of restricting Green/Blue from Dark I or higher and Red from Light I or higher, make more powerful versions available only to those affiliations. For instance, make the green-quality crystals neutral, but the blue and purple restricted as all of them are now.

This is an interesting idea though, I don't recall the suggestion of restrictions based on quality of the gems being brought up during the beta.

Personally I'm against the restrictions, but as it stands they are there, and I'm playing a neutral Jedi Knight with 1 Blue and 1 Red saber..

LOL - I play a Sith Marauder - Named Polizei - that uses one Red and one Blue LS - gotta have the RP of the flashing lights we all know and love...

(forgot to mention: used one red / one green during the Holidays to be more "festive")

Edited by Sixball