What grade would you give Bioware today?

Zolaz

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ooooook I am a lurker but this is getting ridiculous so I will try to give an honest answer to this thread as the amount of trolls on both sides of the issue might skew the view point a bit. I will state I am not an expert I have had only a weeks worth of play time from both the November and December betas so my opinion is subject to change.

Story: B+.

During beta I played as a IA, Inq, and SM and I have to say that I felt pretty engaged within the story. I think it is rare as typically with MMOs you are typically left with partial stories for the region you are currently questing and leaves no real overall story besides my side is fighting yours. My only problem is that you get the same three options every time which are either PMSing ******e, neutral, or complete ***** (another name for cats) and even then the choice doesn't matter as you either get light side or dark side which mostly translates to visuals. There really isn't a change in the story in one way or the other besides how they respond right after you make the choice before continuing on the script that stays the same regardless of choice. Now I understand it is an MMO and in a static world its hard to have a constant changing story line based on character decision, though I do feel they could have done more with the light and dark side besides the constant hugging with one side and constant killing with the other.

Game Play: C

Not a whole lot to say, average MMO template so it works but isn't anything to be thrilled over. It does feel fast paced and I do enjoy how they broadened the scope of classes (choice between DPS, Tanking, and Healing) like rift but it is still the basic MMO play and it would have been really nice to see a new feature that broke the norm even in the slightest.

PVP: B

Was fun and fast paced from the small amount that I did during beta. Healing was a ***** (plenty of forum posts as to why) but it isn't really a deal breaker. Only reason why it didn't get an A was because from the amount I saw in PVP it was your typical set up, but with me as long as the PVP isn't complete crap then it will get a higher grade.

Launch: F

Obvious why. I know there are plenty of people who will argue this, but launch is when the first person enters the official servers. The excluding of players who payed the same exact as others is completely ridiculous. This is something that should have been planned way before they put the game up for sell and should have been stated within the description when the customer purchased it. Leaving Early Access as a TBA, stating only a month before hand that it will be a first come first serve entry (effectively screwing over people who have been fallowing the game for years but for what ever reason decide to hold off on purchasing the pre order immediately), leaving all but two servers in light status as I write this, and worst of all ceasing invites for the day at 2pm (not even the end of a typical work day) on the day that they release their game for official play shows a lack of respect for their community, a lack of faith in their game, and a stance that as long as they have your money they really do not give a crap when you play. People have the right to feel entitled regardless of what you say. As soon as you give Bioware your money, their company is in sense working for you so the complaints over the distress people have had with this launch is complacency at its worse and fanboism at its most annoying (almost as bad as the excuses for Twilight). There are far better ways this could have been handled and they should have stated day of when TOR first went on sale their intentions were first come first serve. If they really wanted to test the waters they could have done what most MMOs generally do with the more you pay the sooner you play so Collectors could have gotten a 7 day, Digital Deluxe 5 day, and Standard 3 day which is generally an accepted model and would have created fairness among those with Collectors who are still not in game while Standard players are (Standard Edition here so do not think I suggest this because I have a Collectors). The best method though, IMO, is that they could have just let all players in at once, put in a queuing system that will be there on store release anyways and regulated the amount the amount of new character creations to control the amount in starting areas and a lower than normal server cap to regulate so when players left starting areas it doesn't become a flood of fast levelers stuck with slow levelers. It would have been more work on their part, but they should feel obligated to a community that has stuck with them and has given them the opportunity to make this game (as if you do not have customers there is no reason to make a game). Like any other time it is impossible to stop all complaints, but when an overwhelming majority of the people stuck to forum use are criticizing your decisions you should know very well why you are deserving of an F.

Enjoyment: A+

For its short comings and overall being a standard MMO in most aspects I had a freaking blast when I was able to play. Can't say much for how long it will last at end game, but the over all experience I had was being glued to my computer for several days of play time and forgetting to shave or the fact that I have friends. In short, I am screwed when I am finally able to play.

Amen brotha' and thanks for not being a rabid fan boy. This is spot on.

Lack of information. only opening for new players for 5 hours a day. Generally bad idea for a launch plan.

F.

Does anyone else realize the game launches dec20th, this is not launch, its EGA. Y does everyone think they are entitled to a spot b4 game comes out.

Let me get this rolling with a solid F.

Poor peformance. People on these forums dont seem to like Bioware at the moment, that is going to hurt you on your peer eval. Lack of Effort, put in a minority of the population today then decided to go home. Really ... you have some "team" working 24/7 and they are "busy" "working" right now? Come on, show some respect to people they have brains. You dont chill for 18 hours and say you are hard at work.

I hope Bioware tries harder in the future.

If there was anything higher then an A+, that's what i'd give.

You get an F for... well just imagine.

B+ better customer service communication would take it to an A but those complaining are just upset that they don't have an invite. Well neither do I and I am probably right on the cusp of getting in today and won't but hell I am sure there are some chores around the house that need a doing so get them done get a gold star from your wife, parents, girlfriend, whatever...think of it as an RL aggro drop for future play time.

It is about courtesy, it is not about people having to wait just for the wait without informing them on any possible timings.

A big fat:

F

Or to put it in WoW's term:

That's f**** 50 DKP ... MINUS!

Edited by Granyala

Lot of butt hurt people in here, should have pre-ordered it earlier shouldn't ya.

Let us imagine that everyone that pre-ordered did so on the very first day. Would everyone have gotten in yesterday at the time time? I think you know the answer.

There would have been winners and losers either way.

This person is spot in with what they wrote so I will just repost it as my opinion (as it matches exactly)

Launch: F

Obvious why. I know there are plenty of people who will argue this, but launch is when the first person enters the official servers. The excluding of players who payed the same exact as others is completely ridiculous. This is something that should have been planned way before they put the game up for sell and should have been stated within the description when the customer purchased it. Leaving Early Access as a TBA, stating only a month before hand that it will be a first come first serve entry (effectively screwing over people who have been fallowing the game for years but for what ever reason decide to hold off on purchasing the pre order immediately), leaving all but two servers in light status as I write this, and worst of all ceasing invites for the day at 2pm (not even the end of a typical work day) on the day that they release their game for official play shows a lack of respect for their community, a lack of faith in their game, and a stance that as long as they have your money they really do not give a crap when you play. People have the right to feel entitled regardless of what you say. As soon as you give Bioware your money, their company is in sense working for you so the complaints over the distress people have had with this launch is complacency at its worse and fanboism at its most annoying (almost as bad as the excuses for Twilight). There are far better ways this could have been handled and they should have stated day of when TOR first went on sale their intentions were first come first serve. If they really wanted to test the waters they could have done what most MMOs generally do with the more you pay the sooner you play so Collectors could have gotten a 7 day, Digital Deluxe 5 day, and Standard 3 day which is generally an accepted model and would have created fairness among those with Collectors who are still not in game while Standard players are (Standard Edition here so do not think I suggest this because I have a Collectors). The best method though, IMO, is that they could have just let all players in at once, put in a queuing system that will be there on store release anyways and regulated the amount the amount of new character creations to control the amount in starting areas and a lower than normal server cap to regulate so when players left starting areas it doesn't become a flood of fast levelers stuck with slow levelers. It would have been more work on their part, but they should feel obligated to a community that has stuck with them and has given them the opportunity to make this game (as if you do not have customers there is no reason to make a game). Like any other time it is impossible to stop all complaints, but when an overwhelming majority of the people stuck to forum use are criticizing your decisions you should know very well why you are deserving of an F.

What really pissed me off the most was the uncertainty of when I was going to actually be able to access the game. Constantly following twitter and checking my email for my invite was extremely annoying. They easily could have organized this before hand and sent out emails on the weekend saying "You will have access starting this day". Granted, this doesn't resolve the whole problem but it does alleviate some of the stress of the launch.

Ideally, I would have liked to have seen them just open the flood gates and let people sit in queue. 3/4 of my friends are already in game and have toons lvl20-ish and now i get to play this mmo by myself and forever play catch up with my friends - great job bioware...

A

they've allowed early access

they're staggering to ensure a smooth launch

they've bumped the early access ahead by 2 days

they're doing a great job with this game and there's only minor bugs thus far

they've announced future updates including UI advancements, upgrades, etc

the game looks incredibly promising as the new standard mmo.

customer service is fine. you try taking on over 600k customers who are impatient lil brats because they don't know how to read, or want to pay attention to the rules. (EDIT: I really don't know the actual number, but it sure feels like a ton of people).