What grade would you give Bioware today?

Zolaz

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll come up with a grade as soon as i actually get to play the game.

(yeah, i'm a little hutthurt that BW couldnt finish december off yesterday. you'd think they'd be prepared to work more than normal hours during the launch of their own mmo)

That's ok, tho... I'm a final waver and when i get in i'll get around to the grade thingy or..

f*ck it, i'll do the rest of this post later..

Listen you...they had multiple preorders pop up in December...so much so that..it put them back a few days with the emails. The Dev stated it put them back to Dec 13th..basically where they started.

There is a large influx of December preorders, that is what the hold up is...that is why some of us are still waiting, me included. I am December 10th.

Hold on, hang in there..because in about 5 minutes it will be tomorrow..and just a FEW hours more til you get in.

Can you do that??

Here's to SWTOR gaming..I can't wait!

F.

Average launch. Could care less about that.

F for failing with their insanely huge budget by spending 2/3 of it on voice work that just makes the game pretty without adding any significant depth to a fancy WoW in space clone.

They could have spent that on decent features, or making the game not a total WoW clone while still retaining the style.

Also, what major development company that makes its own engines would use HERO engine for an MMO of this scale?

You are the tard playing it. Get a grip.

A+

Had a great time, grouping makes this game so much better, especially during cinematic sessions. Most fun I have had in any MMO in 8 years. Great job BW, as far as the game is concerned (your PR still sucks however).

The story drives the experience and I have loved that immensely. :D

1) Do you honestly want Bioware to not use data that they are collecting to help adjust the flow of people comming in? That would be bad.

2) I would give them an A. The servers are up and running, smoothly. There weren't any crashes when I was playing the game, and no lag.

And have you thought that a ton of people are actually very happy with Bioware, but they are currently playing the game? It's not like they just let in a few thousand people on the first wave.

I agree, i think bioware did a great job last night, they even addressing the issue of postage being Christmas time by adding the grace period and to help prevent lag they introduced several new servers, as well as giving 95% of pre-orders assess, i dont mind waiting and considering some launches ive seen, i would say this early assess even went better than most.

B.

I love the story, but I loved it in Beta as well, so that's a given.

didn't have an issue with getting my early access 5 days early instead of seven. sure I whined to my friends who happened to pre-order months before me and as such ended up playing earlier. but all in all - I actually didn't expect to get in until friday, so playing Thursday was a lovely bonus. once I figured out that default settings were wonky and reset them - lag almost entirely disappeared. I had to wait in queue during prime hours... for about 5 minutes. 5 minutes is no big deal.

couple of friends had issues activating their codes... due to Origin. dear EA, if you are going to remove games from steam and enforce digital distribution through origin only, get it straight before you make a lot of people very unhappy.

both earlier delivery through amazon as well as 2 extra days of grace period to allow people to register their copies and play uninterrupted thumbs up.

all in all, the fact that I could play relatively smoothly as soon as the game was available to me is a very big, positive plus. as a former WoW player I was used to the game being completely unplayable for several days, every time a new patch was released, so maybe my expectations were lower then most, but I'd consider it to be a pretty good launch. not perfect, but pretty good.

(no, I didn't quit WoW to play SWTOR, I didn't even want to buy SWTOR before playing in weekend BETA, quitting WoW happened independently, almost a year ago)

performance is proper.

early access was recognized as a necessity. they get rationale points.

it turned out that there was noone let in into the game before their preorder code redeem time. so, they were innocent.

i got in at the proper time i should have. (28 sept preorder). yesterday. everything was proper.

no kinds of issues annoyances in queues, in game etc. so far so good.

so far they are ticking like a clock. not before its time, not later than its time. and this translates to 'good' in our contemporary times.

Let me get this rolling with a solid F.

Poor peformance. People on these forums dont seem to like Bioware at the moment, that is going to hurt you on your peer eval. Lack of Effort, put in a minority of the population today then decided to go home. Really ... you have some "team" working 24/7 and they are "busy" "working" right now? Come on, show some respect to people they have brains. You dont chill for 18 hours and say you are hard at work.

I hope Bioware tries harder in the future.

in short, dont be blabbering here because you have not gotten into early access BEFORE your time, or maintenance coincided with your early access.

The game's early access has only been 3 days and hasn't even properly launched yet and you guys are giving it a poor performance?

Remake this thread after the 20th again please. After you actually got a character to lvl 30+ and when everything is in place.

Don't forget they'll be adding more content in future patches. The UI issues have been noticed and is being looked at.

After getting in today and experiencing the EGA, I'd give the program a C- based on a few points.

The good: No lag. Starting areas aren't over-populated to the point where you can't do anything (see below however), game is fun.

The bad: Starting areas are underpopulated to the point where its difficult to find groups to do the Heroic +2's even. Login queue's already - how much worse will the be when general release hits?!?. PvP Queues are long (see more below).

The Ugly: Saw several people running around already in mid 30's - glad I wasn't on a pvp gankfest server. Several of the less-common names I wanted were already taken. PvP is already horribly unbalanced for those of us that just got in - sorry to those of you that get in tomorrow expecting fair pvp :(. Huttaball is the only thing running on my server due to lack of rebel pvp'ers. I suspect that the lack of interest in PvP could be due to the fact that the newer players don't stand a chance in pvp against the higher level day one peeps. PvP experience is crazy high... I was getting over 7k exp per match @ lvl 13 which is almost twice as much as bigger quests.

As I suspected, the game is still fun, but after the 2 day head start for some players, it doesnt even feel like a fresh new game. To me, that's one of the most fun times in an MMO. Meh, Bioware doesn't know what they are doing yet, so I guess they get a free pass for this. God knows they aren't going to get any good help from EA.

I also should mention that I think Bioware is trying. They screwed up with the EGA program's implementation imo, but they have done some good things, like giving a 2 day grace period after launch. They've also done a nice job keeping us informed on game changes such as the match chest color thing.

Edited by Posttrauma

C+ (12/20)

I pre ordered a CE and yet i enjoy the game.

Graphics are ok and i like the art style.

The game runs well on max setting with AA and anisotropic filtering forced at x2 and x16 using RadeonPro.

I m a bit disapointed that they have removed many graphic options from this client version. So i ll wait and see how it evolves during next monthes.

My biggest concern is about how Bioware handled the EAG. Justificated or not, it ended in a lot of frustration. And even if i wasn't concerned at first, seeing that much people angry affected me and somehow ruined my joy during the wait.

Edited by EmmanuelFR

A+

i woke this morning to find a early christmas gift from Bioware 5 days early access

thanks for that. then preceded to play all day with no lag no server crashes or wait to play. the story and voice acting are excellent loving every minute.

now to those who do nothing but complain, read the fine print it said you may play up to 5 days early, not you will. As for the server shutdowns although annoying they are necessary because the game is 2 days old and it will need tweeking more often than one thats bin out for awhile, im sure they dont just pack up and go home.

good work bioware :)

now to those who do nothing but complain, read the fine print it said you may play up to 5 days early, not you will.

See, you make a good point.

Fine print is not something I want, nor expect, to be coming from a company that I would choose to support.

That "gotcha" type of attitude probably doesn't help retain customers, which is essential in a game like this.

Customer satisfaction directly affects subscription numbers. Customer subscriptions directly effect this games longevity. No matter which side of this debate I fall on, I know that a large amount of upset customers is not healthy for the game no matter what spin we put on it.

Edited by Posttrauma

A

The rolling invites ensured that questing areas weren't clogged with players on day one. I've had virtually zero lag and only experienced small queues today. Which given the situation, is acceptable (my old WoW server had bigger queues every single patch day) Only a fool judges queue time based on launch periods.

I had no issues with security questions, downloading, etc. So I haven't had to deal with customer service yet. However, people still wait on WoW GM's, for days or weeks, and that game's been out for almost a decade.

At launch, I don't expect a rep to answer me, the second I request one. Especially considering how many stupid people simply messed up on security questions, and don't remember because they chose foolish questions that may change over time (like favorite movie, etc.)

One knucklehead kept insulting Bioware for messing up, said he never set his library card number as an answer. Turns out he did. He just wrote "I don't know" like an idiot. wasted the customer service's time because he was dumb. Never apologized, just "lol'ed" and shut up. This is the kind of jerk showing up to grade this company an F.

I have a feeling CS is clogged with dumb people who can't bothered reading. Recent history with people misreading/ignoring emails, and repeatedly asking questions answered again and again on Facebook/Twitter and emails, without even the slightest attempt to look up a solution, I wouldn't doubt that 50% of the issues could have been prevented easily.

All the people posting F are trolls. A F is pretty damn ridiculous. It's like when Gamepro gave this game a 1/10. Entitled jerks who demand perfection immediately when they haven't payed a dime yet for service.

So far, for ME, the launch has been as smooth if not moreso than Rift, and that game's launch was awesome, even with my account hacked due to their forums security issue.

Edited by Fiachsidhe

F-

1. Never told us when we'd get access. 1000's of fans took today off work and school and for what? To sit around all day hoping to get an invite that never came.

2. Only gave access to the first 6 days of pre-orders. They have 150 more days to go.

3. The Bioware team calls it quits at 2pm CST and heads home for the night.

4. All current available servers have been XP pvp exploited.

5 All current servers except one are "Light" or "standard" population, and those lucky enough to get in game, can't find groups because the entire world is mostly empty.

6. Crappy UI

7. No combat log

I'll play my first 30 free days then I'm done with Bioware forever.

It's like Ford. My dad bought a brand new Ford Tempo in 1989. The thing was the biggest piece of junk you'd ever seen.

I will never, ever buy a Ford because of that.

1. They didn't tell you exactly the time and date you would get acess to the game but it did say that you "MAY get UP TO 5 days early acess" which they kindly increased to 7 days so that everyone would get in earlier than they were supposed to... Is that bad? Apparently.

2. Only 6 days? I ordered the 10th of DECEMBER..... And i got my early acess in the last wave yesterday!! Everyone will be in by the last wave today.. (When if they would have kept the ONLY 5 DAYS of early acess, everyone would be in at the end of this weekend, maybe even monday)

3. They can obviously not be working EVERY second and minute of EVERY day and EVERY month all the years they have been working on it, if they would do that the whole team would be dead now and we wouldn't have a game.

5. The servers being as populated as they are is the freaking reason they did this wave thing from the beginning... If they were to let all that people in at once, all the servers would crash at once.

I don't get why people are whining so much when the game haven't even had it's official release.. Consider Early Acess an Pre-Order BETA of the game. You can start whining if they haven't changed anything in a couple of months... When WoW came out there was problems to but they fixed that.. The game isn't even officially out for everyone and people are already nagging...

I'm sure the folks at BW are really sweating the fact that a bunch of mouth breathers are giving them an 'F-', considering no one asked you guys in the first place. The funny part is, tons of these people are grading a game they hadn't played at the time they wrote their almighty judgement.

This launch has been embarrassing to watch. BW has done a great job rolling the game out ahead of schedule. Its running smoothly, with more polish than any other MMO I've played at launch (which is just about all of em).

Its disgusting for me to read these folk's two cents, but I'm gonna go out on a limb and say BW probably couldn't care less, now that the money is starting to hit their accounts.

Cheers!

A-.

Great launch (and I only got in today, but I understand the idea of waiting in line).

Great game.

Some of the zones/quests may not be really fun to replay on alts (Coruscant quests gah!)

Space combat needs work but we and they know that. Pretty ambitious to even include space combat. SWG didn't have space combat for years!

Overall, just an amazing game with as bright a future as Bioware wants it to have!

Why are paying customers having to refresh their emails all day long in the vain hope they get an invite?

C+

Because the game releases on the 20th, not the 15th? And it's on schedule?

Everyone is getting all bent out of shape over this early access thing. Play something else and check your mail occasionally. The game will still be here when you get done with beating people up in Arkham or playing CoD or Skyrim. Before I got in, I was playing Deus Ex and reading the X-wing series to pass the time.

It's going live, which means no more character wipes for the betatest. There's no more rushing to see stuff. You can take it easy and enjoy yourself. The game isn't going anywhere anytime soon. I preordered way before there was even a mention of early access and I wouldn't have minded if there wasn't any. The game is slated to release in 4 days, not yesterday. If you're really this obsessed, you're GOING to be disappointed, because you'll build it up to be something it's not.

As far as the preorder access thing goes, they never made any sort of promise at all, offering UP TO 5 days of access. If you got it thinking you were going to get all 5 days guaranteed... well... Next time you'll read the misleading marketing information a little better, then, won't you? I'm not saying what they did was right, but this reaction from people who payed the money is pretty funny.

But this is coming from someone who loves the game pretty much unconditionally and doesn't remember any hype that wasn't dead on. They delivered what they said they would. It looks to me like what the hype said it was going to be, and it's a blast to play.

As far as the actual people who are ingame (On The Ebon Hawk) the opinion I've seen has been pretty much totally positive, because the game is fun, not broken, and interesting if not enthralling. There's been the occasional dunderhead convinced that the way the ability queue behaves is buggy (because they don't understand that the game counts the whole animation of a move as the attack, not just the shiny numbers), or not knowing how to do a certain action.

All in all I'd rate this launch as something close to Rift's, and rift had a particularly good launch. Except for a disproportionate amount of users on the forums having absolute fits over not getting something they weren't told they would get. Underhanded marketing aside, you need to grow up.

Also the crafting is the best thing.

Ninja edit: And the next page is full of people debunking the hate. :D That made me happier! Thank you!

Edited by Sharinza