Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Another Insult to the EU

RetroRayner

So what about the people who work second shift and play in the morning when they get off? What about the people on third who play when they get home? what about the people on 1st who play when they get home. When is a good time to have maintenance that is good for everyone?

Common worktime is 8AM to 5PM or so in Europe, at least within this timeframe even if your workhours are shorter. Game availability should reflect what is most common because that is when most people will be able to play. When such a wide spectrum of people want to play a game you have to go by what is most common. In this situation it would be the sensible thing to have the servers (on a weekday) down during night-hours, because the least amount of people will be playing there. Guess what, they recognize this in the US with the night time maintenance, so they can do it for Europe too.

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And if we go by that then no one on here should be complaining about anything, least of all complaining about complainers throwing valid complaints on a board for it, because well at least we all have food and a roof over our heads! At least I assume so, if you can afford to play this game but not food then something is seriously wrong...

So stop with the "Oh but THEY have it even worse" yeah there are always someone who has it worse, if we had to go by that route we couldn't complain about anything and so nothing would be done to change current issues.

I can see that oceanic people are screwed, however, they should maybe try and be vocal enough themselves to warrant a change. We here in the EU are trying to go that route, because if it has been done by other companies, proper maintenance times for all servers situated different places in the world. Then it can be done so by Bioware and EA aswell.

My point is simple, I'd rather there be a unified downtime (which still does not affect most players...there will ALWAYS BE PEOPLE LOGGED IN and ALWAYS BE PEOPLE WANTING TO PLAY but there must also be maintenance) and be able to play with my Aunt and Uncle in Sweden, something I've not been able to do without shelling out money for 2nd copies of games (like my 2 wow accounts, and 2 copies of starcraft) on the other method.

No matter what happens, there will be downtime. If they left half the servers up in a unified system you'd be flooded with people rolling players, sorta like how when a server goes down people start to roll on other servers. It's just the way people are, and if they tried to stop that they'd be introducing region lock.

No matter what happens there is no way to make everyone happy on this, and I'd rather open regions and someone else get a taste of what it feels like to have daytime maintenance (I'm EST so it actually pretty much lines up perfectly with what maintenance times there were for me) then closed regions to make a statistically small group of players happy.

That last sentence is the most important, BW knows how many people are logged in at a given time, they know when volume is at its least, and that's when they do maintenance. It will impact people no matter what.

I'm European and I'm fine with the maintenance times, beacuse they are at a time, I'm usually working. There are people who work nightshift and they are also happy with these times, while US-citizens who work nightshift, are a little disgruntled. You see: There's no way to cater to everyones needs. Just deal with it.

I work nightshift, I am not happy with these times not even nearly. infact its not the times, it is just after playing, Aion,RfO, Eve and many others I still personally think ( excluding emergencies) this is the longest maintenance ever ( this also excludes major major patches).

I work nightshift, I am not happy with these times not even nearly. infact its not the times, it is just after playing, Aion,RfO, Eve and many others I still personally think ( excluding emergencies) this is the longest maintenance ever ( this also excludes major major patches).

Yeah, I mixed up timezones. I changed the post.

Common worktime is 8AM to 5PM or so in Europe, at least within this timeframe even if your workhours are shorter. Game availability should reflect what is most common because that is when most people will be able to play. When such a wide spectrum of people want to play a game you have to go by what is most common. In this situation it would be the sensible thing to have the servers (on a weekday) down during night-hours, because the least amount of people will be playing there. Guess what, they recognize this in the US with the night time maintenance, so they can do it for Europe too.

Again, how much shorter, what if you got off at 8am? Your argument is just thinking of people in your shoes, not as a while.

Its a new game, there are most likely many issues that need to be sorted out with regards to the performance of the servers, etc. I'd imagine in a few months, the maintenance time will come down closer to what we are used to with WoW, Rift, etc.

My point is simple, I'd rather there be a unified downtime (which still does not affect most players...there will ALWAYS BE PEOPLE LOGGED IN and ALWAYS BE PEOPLE WANTING TO PLAY but there must also be maintenance) and be able to play with my Aunt and Uncle in Sweden, something I've not been able to do without shelling out money for 2nd copies of games (like my 2 wow accounts, and 2 copies of starcraft) on the other method.

No matter what happens, there will be downtime. If they left half the servers up in a unified system you'd be flooded with people rolling players, sorta like how when a server goes down people start to roll on other servers. It's just the way people are, and if they tried to stop that they'd be introducing region lock.

No matter what happens there is no way to make everyone happy on this, and I'd rather open regions and someone else get a taste of what it feels like to have daytime maintenance (I'm EST so it actually pretty much lines up perfectly with what maintenance times there were for me) then closed regions to make a statistically small group of players happy.

That last sentence is the most important, BW knows how many people are logged in at a given time, they know when volume is at its least, and that's when they do maintenance. It will impact people no matter what.

And how many people does that? Besides, even with open servers for everyone you can still have maintenance times at different hours. People aren't going to flood onto european and/or american servers jsut because they ONCE a week cannot play their mains during late night hours on weekdays. Im sorry, such a notion is preposterous.

The only things people used to do was make level 1 troll/gnome raids/races, often hardly enough to **** up the server, and that was on old wow servers... These servers should be able to handle anything in that amount.

You can have open regions and different maintenance times, people don't go off on other servers (most people won't) just because their servers are down when they sleep.

That last sentence is the most important, because you can still have open regions and different server maintenance hours. People won't reroll every week, and they won't focus on a char they can play once a week, at 2AM in the morning, on a weekday.

Again, how much shorter, what if you got off at 8am? Your argument is just thinking of people in your shoes, not as a while.

Your not reading my argument, the day you read everything and understand what is written is the day I answer yours again. Have a nice day.

if they kept the EU servers up you would just get flooded with U.S players while they wait for there servers to come up

You serious?

You would roll some character, on a server where you know next to no one, in the middle of the night, on a weekday, just because you cannot play on your main during this time? This time where MOST people are sleeping, even if some are not?

The few people who aren't sleeping won't crash the server, not even close to.

If they accommodate you, they give a middle finger to Americans.

They can't win. They have to go with the majority of their customer base.

I know its a hard thing to see, and even conceive of. But, you know, different maintenance hours *wink wink* is something that would work ;)

And how many people does that? Besides, even with open servers for everyone you can still have maintenance times at different hours. People aren't going to flood onto european and/or american servers jsut because they ONCE a week cannot play their mains during late night hours on weekdays. Im sorry, such a notion is preposterous.

The only things people used to do was make level 1 troll/gnome raids/races, often hardly enough to **** up the server, and that was on old wow servers... These servers should be able to handle anything in that amount.

You can have open regions and different maintenance times, people don't go off on other servers (most people won't) just because their servers are down when they sleep.

That last sentence is the most important, because you can still have open regions and different server maintenance hours. People won't reroll every week, and they won't focus on a char they can play once a week, at 2AM in the morning, on a weekday.

Ya know what man, I think we're going to have to agree to disagree. I can see an entire region logging onto your servers since we can't play on ours, and the forums exploding with complaints about how queues are psychotic every patch day because those damn Americans are doing whatever.

At the end of the day there is no argument I can present to you that will change your mind, you feel slighted because of the maintenance time, which at the end of the day is such a minor inconvenience that it boggles my mind. I worked 3rd shift for years and every Tuesday was "Do something other than play WoW day." I coped by doing other things. I didn't post on the blizzard forums about how they hate 3rd shift people who live on the east coast. (Servers coming back up just in time for bed! Joy! :\) But because you feel slighted there is nothing that will change that thought.

At the end of the day it is what it is, the only other possible suggestion I have for you is vote with your euros if it really is that big of a deal. People are ******es and will flood your servers every maintenance day, and it won't take a large % to cause some disruption.

Maybe I'm just jaded after tons of time playing online but I 100% see the two solutions as mutually exclusive. You can not have a unified system and bring half the servers down and expect people to just behave. Hell I know for a fact people would roll on EU servers _just because_ they're up and ours are down.

Your not reading my argument, the day you read everything and understand what is written is the day I answer yours again. Have a nice day.

What did I not read? you want it to fit your time, not everyone's as you make it out to be, cause it cant. You cant fit everyone in the EU, and your time does not represent everyone in the EU, there is no way for them to have a time that fits everyone, plain and simple.

Ya know what man, I think we're going to have to agree to disagree. I can see an entire region logging onto your servers since we can't play on ours, and the forums exploding with complaints about how queues are psychotic every patch day because those damn Americans are doing whatever.

At the end of the day there is no argument I can present to you that will change your mind, you feel slighted because of the maintenance time, which at the end of the day is such a minor inconvenience that it boggles my mind. I worked 3rd shift for years and every Tuesday was "Do something other than play WoW day." I coped by doing other things. I didn't post on the blizzard forums about how they hate 3rd shift people who live on the east coast. (Servers coming back up just in time for bed! Joy! :\) But because you feel slighted there is nothing that will change that thought.

At the end of the day it is what it is, the only other possible suggestion I have for you is vote with your euros if it really is that big of a deal. People are ******es and will flood your servers every maintenance day, and it won't take a large % to cause some disruption.

Maybe I'm just jaded after tons of time playing online but I 100% see the two solutions as mutually exclusive. You can not have a unified system and bring half the servers down and expect people to just behave. Hell I know for a fact people would roll on EU servers _just because_ they're up and ours are down.

So, at 2 AM CST or w/e US times are called, a WHOLE region of players will flood onto EU servers? Forgetting the fact that most of this region is sleeping, being the reason why bioware chose to close down the servers at this hour in the first place........! I cannot see your point, and Im not even going to be sarcastic about it, this notion is so preposterous I can't believe it.

I pay to play this game, so it should be available as often as possible. Most people who pay to play this game does not play this game at 2AM in the morning. This is the reason, if you cannot grasp that, then we are done discussing this.

So, at 2 AM CST or w/e US times are called, a WHOLE region of players will flood onto EU servers? Forgetting the fact that most of this region is sleeping, being the reason why bioware chose to close down the servers at this hour in the first place........! I cannot see your point, and Im not even going to be sarcastic about it, this notion is so preposterous I can't believe it.

I pay to play this game, so it should be available as often as possible. Most people who pay to play this game does not play this game at 2AM in the morning. This is the reason, if you cannot grasp that, then we are done discussing this.

It's 03:17 (02:17 CST) right now, and I'm here talking to you. The majority of NA servers are at "standard" with 2-3 "heavy" 1 "full" (the allmight swiftsure) and a few light.

Do not underestimate the power of insomniacs who play MMORPGs.

Edited by Battyone

Welcome to the world of second class customers. That's us in the EU. They don't give a rat's arse nor do they seem to be showing willing to make amends in any way. We will continue to lose game time during the day.

Simply unbelievable.

You would think, a major dev studio with a major publisher relaising in 2011 (well 2012 .. those few days...) :

They would strive to deliver at least as good support (and that includes maintenance) as the current competitors.

Why do they worse then 1st generation mmogs ?

Only thing that can prevent them from patching european servers at different times is double money for the netops teams. Oh .. okay, that would cost money.

But good that $=€ for them ...

What did I not read? you want it to fit your time, not everyone's as you make it out to be, cause it cant. You cant fit everyone in the EU, and your time does not represent everyone in the EU, there is no way for them to have a time that fits everyone, plain and simple.

This isn't about accommodating everyone, but most people...!

I know its a hard thing to see, and even conceive of. But, you know, different maintenance hours *wink wink* is something that would work ;)

Give me an example. One that doesn't involve Bioware working stupid hours that don't make sense in a business setting.

Because it suits them better.

Also, nobody cares, maintenances are always a pain, get used to it.

Tip of the day : Get a job, you won't even notice the game is down during the day.

Just dont work like that :p not every1 actually lives in uk. I stop work at 2pm get home eat, its not even 3pm and servers r up 6pm here.

Anyways there is other things in life for me so im not bothered about it, just making a point.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.