Skyrim Graphics VS SW:ToR Graphics.

RecondoJoe

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't believe there are people here seriously defending TOR's horribly poorly optimized engine.

The best that can be said is that it's better than it was in beta. It's still miles away from being acceptable for a game that wants to compete with WoW. Fact is, WoW will run silky smooth on almost any machine, and looks very good because of Blizzard's commitment to great art design.

BioWare got the good art design part down, but this engine they're using just blows.

Indeed. SWTOR's optimization is probably the worst I've seen in any game for years. That's mmo's and single player alike. They still have shards and didn't release high res textures because of this imo. Because then the game wouldn't be able to run even on most high-end systems. As even as the game is now it runs poorly on a lot of high-end system setups.

Funny thing is though that there are also some medium rigs that can run the game. Heck my laptop had a better time running it than my pc (while my pc was several times better) until I upgraded my ram from 4 to 8 GB. And 8GB shouldn't even be needed since the game can't use that much.

Colours are more appealing than a polygon count at the end of the day. WoW may not have superior to SWTOR polygon counts, but they sure as hell do everything else 100x better.

It's called Art Direction and it makes a huge difference. Apparently, WoW does it better.

Please. Howling Fjord, Sholazar Basin and Grizzly Hills are gorgeous there are more but say nothing in WoW looks even comparable to Dromund Kaas is just fanboyism.

Sholazar is nice, I'll admit. Grizzly Hills and Howling Fjord? Nah. That just shows off how dated trees are in that game. The trees on DK are amazing.I was thinking of Zones that have the same color scheme as DK. Still even in Sholzanaar the landscape texture in TOR are better. Once again, its just lots of colors for WoW. I like how defined boulders and rock formations in TOR are, and if they could make it less buggy to attempt to traverse, all the better.

It's called Art Direction and it makes a huge difference. Apparently, WoW does it better.

I would have to agree about art direction. Some of the furniture design etc is...well let's just say I hope the designers never venture into the real world and try to ply their design skills there :p

The graphics themselves though are way better in SWTOR, and with a high res texture patch (plus some optimisation especially for the people trying to raid/pvp) will look amazing.

Edited by lollie

They do need to work on optimization and shadows (and increase the draw distance for ground clutter please) for sure. Everything else would be nice, but i can force vsync to fix overworking my gpu needlessly and run 16Q AA and I am happy.

EDIT to say, I can deal with less colors, in fact I expect it. Star Wars is a gritty universe and should not be filled with bright, vibrant colors....unless its a lightsaber.

Edited by Ituhata

Sholazar is nice, I'll admit. Grizzly Hills and Howling Fjord? Nah. That just shows off how dated trees are in that game. The trees on DK are amazing.I was thinking of Zones that have the same color scheme as DK. Still even in Sholzanaar the landscape texture in TOR are better. Once again, its just lots of colors for WoW. I like how defined boulders and rock formations in TOR are, and if they could make it less buggy to attempt to traverse, all the better.

WoW has some good texture definitely better than in TOR right now. Especially since TOR can even have high setting yet. Why this wasn't fixed in beta is annoying.

Actually, most cars have a bit of a breaking-in time, after witch the car works at peak performance.

Compared to this game, which doesn't function at all, I cannot imagine too many people would be happy with a brand new car whose engine did not fire up. Or the breaks just don't work (in six months they will be fixed though, so no big deal).

Edited by RecondoJoe

Not a fanboy, actually think this game is garbage but; SWTOR's graphics are better. Just a pity that you can't *********** see them because the game runs so choppy.

I did 20-man Rift raids on Med settings to reduce skill efx blocking view, everything else on High because it was a pretty game, never dropped below 60 FPS. Wintergrasp never lagged me unless set to Ultra. And yet, Hammer Station is nearly unplayable on Med, still terrible at Low settings.

Please, do explain why my rig would show that much discrepancy going into graphics that are only MARGINALLY better than WoW, and not even on par with Rift?

Not a fanboy, actually think this game is garbage but; SWTOR's graphics are better. Just a pity that you can't *********** see them because the game runs so choppy.

I did 20-man Rift raids on Med settings to reduce skill efx blocking view, everything else on High because it was a pretty game, never dropped below 60 FPS. Wintergrasp never lagged me unless set to Ultra. And yet, Hammer Station is nearly unplayable on Med, still terrible at Low settings.

Please, do explain why my rig would show that much discrepancy going into graphics that are only MARGINALLY better than WoW, and not even on par with Rift?

+1, good post.

This thread should be closed.

Getting on these forums and complaining about how bad the engine is or how bad the graphics are is not only a waste of time, but a completely useless slap in the face to the developers of this game. You shouldn't even play this game if you concern yourself with comparisons to World of Warcraft. In fact, please return there.

If you want to complain about "how much this game sucks," find another forum, and let us keep bandwidth for important issues like balancing and bugs.

P.S. If you're having problems running this game at maximum settings on 1920x1080 there is something wrong with your hardware or hardware's drivers.

Which are better? I would tell you myself, but my computer only runs Skyrim on Ultra settings, it can't run SW:ToR on Low Settings. So I'm guessing that SW:ToR must have some insane graphics that absolutely blow Skyrim out of the water if this is the case.

Let me know. I'm dying with anticipation.

Touche fine sir, touche.

I lol'd cause it's true.

WoW has better graphics than SWTOR. Make a judgement based on that.

Both you, and to OP, are so full of it that it's scary. I'm not saying SWTOR has state-of-the-art graphics, but... well, ever looked at your WoW character's face? Damn, you ugly. WoW's graphics are so inferior to this game's that it's ridiculous to claim otherwise and instantly marks you as a troll.

As far as Skyrim goes, when Bethesda launches an MMO, with all the graphical considerations that entails, we can talk. Otherwise you're comparing apples and oranges.

Edited by imtrick

This isn't about how good the graphics are, but rather the fact that inferior graphics run incredibly choppy compared to games that blow them out of the water. Something is very wrong here. The graphics in SW:ToR are so bad they should run smoothly on the laptop I bought 8 years ago. No joke.

If you're still reading, make sure two things happen.

1) ALL your drivers are up to date. Don't care how nice your gpu is.

2) Disable shadows. I know. Most sad, but major performance increase.

I have a what, 5760 and it runs with 140 fps everything else max?

Also, I thoroughly enjoyed your trolling on first post, OP.

WoW has better graphics than SWTOR. Make a judgement based on that.

No it doesn't...and go fetch your glasses before you decide to waste our time by responding.

Comparing Skyrim to SWTOR or any other MMO in graphics is like comparing Crysis to Duck Hunt.