Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Bioware, You Want to Resuscitate This Game? Then Implement The Following.

Xugos

No see, free leveling to 20 then saying buy everything to continue is different than Mythic's endless free trail, NEVER STOP PLAYING!

That's the difference because WoW knows that if you just sample their product you will pay and play the game.

That's also like saying because they throw out commercials they are getting desperate. It's just a marketing strategy.

yeah using what 4 year old chuck norris meme's is an excellent marketing strategy :rolleyes:

maybe if we are lucky Harrison ford will do a swtor commercial :D

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You cannot build a house on a poor foundation and this is what SWTOR is doing. Before they even got the foundation right, they started creating the game.

You are SWTOR to a house? Really?

A house will always have issues. Its the way things are. Either the hot water heater is going or the roof leakes. Somestimes its small stuff, sometimes its big stuff.

Do you go out and buy a car the first year the model is on the market? No, because everyone knows its going to have bugs.

I can play the game. There are bugs that I see. But we are talking about gear and mods and stuff that you say is the "Foundation" of SWTOR. If that was correct, EVERYONE would be griping, not just you guys.

The game is young.........

90% of people saying they are posting their "suggestions" are doing nothing but ************ and griefing.....nothing gets fixed that way.

Let them do their job. If you think you can do better, go fill out an application. I'm sure BW would be glad to have you (you being generic) come in and fix all their problems with SWTOR.

I would add:

Shorten load screens.

There are a number of ways this may be achieved (depending on the game architecture):

1) Keep more stuff in memory (for machines that can handle it)

2) pre-load content intelligently (when I fly my ship to a plan, you can start loading in the background because there is a good chance the next thing i'm going to do is go to that planet)

3) don't load everything at once - only load the immediate accessible area, things out of reach/view can be loaded after the toon starts moving around in the zone.

I don't believe we've done anything worthy of getting locked out.

I haven't actually been able to physically DO anything to people because I can never see them in the worlds. Only place I've been able to socialize is in the Imperial Fleet.

no i think so you tried a game and throughout your entire free trial period you have done nothing but shout doom and gloom unless it has X because WoW has it or if this doesn't get fixed you will cancel your sub. so yes i think those that cancel their sub after the free trial period is up should NOT have posting privileges. then the forum community would have people that appreciate the game and are only here to turn this into like another poster here said "WoW with lightsabers"

edit: or atleast make it case by case where they ask you in an automated email and make it a case by case because i have a friend who wont be playing but will be coming back once he is out of college in a few months.

Edited by Phadian_gess

You are SWTOR to a house? Really?

A house will always have issues. Its the way things are. Either the hot water heater is going or the roof leakes. Somestimes its small stuff, sometimes its big stuff.

Do you go out and buy a car the first year the model is on the market? No, because everyone knows its going to have bugs.

I can play the game. There are bugs that I see. But we are talking about gear and mods and stuff that you say is the "Foundation" of SWTOR. If that was correct, EVERYONE would be griping, not just you guys.

The game is young.........

90% of people saying they are posting their "suggestions" are doing nothing but ************ and griefing.....nothing gets fixed that way.

Let them do their job. If you think you can do better, go fill out an application. I'm sure BW would be glad to have you (you being generic) come in and fix all their problems with SWTOR.

I'm not a foundation, I am simply warning BioWare that they need to develop one and IMMEDIATELY.

Of course a house will have problems - it will have bugs, leaks, cracks, etc.

But you missed the point entirely. It needs a strong foundation.

A house that has issues is fine because they are fixed but it's still your house

A house with poor foundation is just bound for failure. Haven't you heard of that Bible story?

We aren't really complaining about small bugs and evading monsters. These are bugs that plague any game.

What we concern ourselves with are far more important. Core features.

You cannot build a house on a poor foundation and this is what SWTOR is doing. Before they even got the foundation right, they started creating the game.

We aren't throwing hissy fits, we are providing reasonable ideas because we know what is in store for this game.

I don't know what "we" you are speaking for, but the vast majority are filled with doom-saying whines that sure sound like hissy fits. They are not even suggestions because the poster has already determined that the game is dead because their "core features" are not implement on release. It's like nobody has played a fresh MMO, I guess they all joined WoW in Wrath. The sad part is I agree with many of the suggestions/complaints, but they get destroyed as keyboard heroes preach that the end days cometh. Probably the same people who post that "WoW is dying" every patch.

He didn't say it was a major content patch. He was just pointing out that they're giving us more for free. We're not waiting 6 months for new stuff. Was it needed? Maybe or maybe not. Just get off my game.

ITS NOT FOR FREE!

its for your sub.....

No sub game should wait 6months, look at rifts development cycle, any mmo which is sub based which cant match that is just screwing its customers, bit BW will probably follow the bliz model of shafting their customers and relying on loyalty and self delusion to keep them paying.

I don't know what "we" you are speaking for, but the vast majority are filled with doom-saying whines that sure sound like hissy fits. They are not even suggestions because the poster has already determined that the game is dead because their "core features" are not implement on release. It's like nobody has played a fresh MMO, I guess they all joined WoW in Wrath. The sad part is I agree with many of the suggestions/complaints, but they get destroyed as keyboard heroes preach that the end days cometh. Probably the same people who post that "WoW is dying" every patch.

If you played the several failures we played you'd understand why they failed and why we are doing what we do.

I'm not impatient. I can wait for raids, instances, gear and other material.

What I've been saying is things need to be implemented that should of been there day 1.

The foundation of the MMO.

I don't know what I did to make you dislike me, but to each his own.

They're not giving us more for free. I'm paying $15 USD a month for this, don't tell me it's free.

Don't like add-ons? Then don't use them.

As far as I know, you haven't payed a dime, it's still in the 30 free days if I remember right. Don't say that you are paying for the game if you're still on the free time. So get off your soap box and be happy that it's what it is, It's a good game,and it could be A LOT worse. It takes time to make updates, do you know how difficult coding and scripting can be sometimes? I think not. Good day to you sir!

As far as I know, you haven't payed a dime, it's still in the 30 free days if I remember right. Don't say that you are paying for the game if you're still on the free time. So get off your soap box and be happy that it's what it is, It's a good game,and it could be A LOT worse. It takes time to make updates, do you know how difficult coding and scripting can be sometimes? I think not. Good day to you sir!

Nothing you said mattered.

He couldn't mentioned many of the issues without having actually played the game to see how badly they were needed.

We spent 60 bucks, that's enough of an investment already.

I'm sure coding and scripting can be very difficult, but if they weren't up to the task they should of denied the request to make SWTOR.

Also,

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=119676

A good link to show another issue plaguing the game. But who are we to say, we are just doomsdayers.

This.

In addition, when everyone clicked "Accept" before playing the game, when you were presented those two documents? That was you electronically signing legally binding documents that explicitly state that you agree that your subscription fee pays only for 24/7 access to the game servers via your client, except when something else prevents this (like maintenance, server crashes, and otherwise unavailable servers). That's it. Nothing more.

This means your subscription fee is only for access to the game and anything else that you may *feel* is included, in reality, is not. Your subscription fee does not pay for access to the forums, it doesn't pay for the physical game stuff, it doesn't pay for your emails to be read by BW, it doesn't pay for content patches, it doesn't pay for other patches, it doesn't pay for maintenance, it doesn't pay for R&D, it doesn't pay for freebies, it doesn't pay for anything at all, bar none, except for your access to the servers.

Now, you can argue against that if you want. You can even outright say I'M PAYING FOR CONTENT PATCHES. But you're wrong. Your signature is on a legal document that says so. And no amount of whining and crying and stamping your feet will change that. So, bringing it back to the thread, the OP and all of his alts are not paying $15/month for the content patches and aren't even paying $15/month for the subscription, since it's still his free game time.

Edit: The legal contract for buying the game for $60 explicitly states that your $60 only pays for the physical items in that box, and nothing else. So the OP and his alts didn't pay $60 for anything but the box and the stuff that came with it. No online stuff, no game time, no free game time, no server access, no forum access, etc etc etc.

Edited by dreadpirateandy

Fix PvP gear, too easy to aquire.

Fix flashpoint hardmodes, too many bugs.

Fix ops, people should choose who gets what.

Fix threat system and give us a threat meter.

Give us target of target

that's all

Absolutely this. Also, fix chat (for real this time please).

This.

In addition, when everyone clicked "Accept" before playing the game, when you were presented those two documents? That was you electronically signing legally binding documents that explicitly state that you agree that your subscription fee pays only for 24/7 access to the game servers via your client, except when something else prevents this (like maintenance, server crashes, and otherwise unavailable servers). That's it. Nothing more.

This means your subscription fee is only for access to the game and anything else that you may *feel* is included, in reality, is not. Your subscription fee does not pay for access to the forums, it doesn't pay for the physical game stuff, it doesn't pay for your emails to be read by BW, it doesn't pay for content patches, it doesn't pay for other patches, it doesn't pay for maintenance, it doesn't pay for R&D, it doesn't pay for freebies, it doesn't pay for anything at all, bar none, except for your access to the servers.

Now, you can argue against that if you want. You can even outright say I'M PAYING FOR CONTENT PATCHES. But you're wrong. Your signature is on a legal document that says so. And no amount of whining and crying and stamping your feet will change that. So, bringing it back to the thread, the OP and all of his alts are not paying $15/month for the content patches and aren't even paying $15/month for the subscription, since it's still his free game time.

Never said we're paying for content patches, but the reason the company would bother to do all those mentioned that apparently they don't have to do is to keep subscribers - the money that puts money in their pocket.

If they don't do that they can enjoy closing down the game.

Somehow I'm labeled as an alt when I am clearly different from everyone else.

It shocks me how you can defend the game so blindly to even go as far as posting some as crazy as this.

I could probably continue with this game if there were a few things changed:

1)Some sort of penalty to dieing besides a few of my coffers; talk about a painless death.

2)More side quests

3)Level restrictions on equipment need to go. This solution to a very non threatening problem, character twinking, has made the game a 1 way street that none should veer off of.

4)A cut back on the bindable items. I understand we don't want an item inflated economy but maybe institute some other solutions because the game has to survive long enough first.

5)Abilities and game mechanics that would allow for more tactical combat. This seems to have been lost in MMOs recently, not really sure why things like kiting or the use of a fear wall are viewed negatively by developers.

There is a lot of good in this game and a lot of things I like. It boggles my mind when I see small things are overlooked and just ruin the experience for me and others like me.

Never said we're paying for content patches, but the reason the company would bother to do all those mentioned that apparently they don't have to do is to keep subscribers - the money that puts money in their pocket.

If they don't do that they can enjoy closing down the game.

Somehow I'm labeled as an alt when I am clearly different from everyone else.

It shocks me how you can defend the game so blindly to even go as far as posting some as crazy as this.

First of all:

Xugos

They're not giving us more for free. I'm paying $15 USD a month for this, don't tell me it's free.

That quote explicitly says he/you is expecting the content patches as part of his $15/month subscription fee. So, you're wrong and this is the proof of it. I didn't say it, he/you did.

Second of all, you're going to need to explain how the legal contract that you signed is "crazy." I just don't see it.

Dunno about you but I bought the game, and include in the game were 30 days of access. So yes I did pay.

And as i said before the difficulty in creating the product is of no concern to me the customer. I pay my money I have a reasonable right to expect the product will work as advertised. Buggy is buggy, and no amount of fanboy rah-rah-rah is going to change the fact that buggy is buggy.

Honestly... I agree with some of the OP's points...

On the other hand, I fundamentally disagree with the idea that this game is floundering, or, frankly, that if it were, any of these fixes would really be enough to make or break it.

I mean, think back, when you started playing WoW, etc., did you do it because you liked your custom, third party ui and enjoyed having chat bubbles? I doubt it. You got engaged on the game, maybe the story, maybe the pvp, maybe the raiding, and then the other elements evolved to expound upon and flesh out those features you liked.

BW seems to be working things right to me, make the core, evolve it, add to it, and then give people newer, and yes maybe even better, ways to build upon that foundation.

Maybe I'm crazy, but I'd rather put up with a lack of some polish and get a deeper, stronger game.

Game needs addons. Period.

I enjoy the game, and I find it fun, but if anything is to be done its this glaring omission on Bioware's part

Rift and WoW's UI completely annihilates anything SWTOR can put forth, and really there is no excuse for this since wow is nearly 8 years old now, and Rift is well over a year.

Plenty of time to think about the consumers desire for a competent UI. Was it done? Not even close.

WoW allows complete customization of the UI and that is one of its strongest points, and why it continues to be the biggest success in the history of the genre.

This puzzles me to no end with the fact that the game was rushed out the door, despite the fact that several staples of the genre that have emerged over the last few years were completely omitted. There are severe issues that need to be address if Bioware expects anyone but the blindest of fanboys to play this game after the honeymoon period is over

Also Auction House. Thats the only thing that needs to be said on that front.

Edited by mgaizo

I love the "MUST IMPLEMENT ALL OF THIS" within 30 days or else the MMO fails.

Gotta love the drama.

Some of these don't sound so bad, but a some of it (especially all the add-on apps) sounds like enabled griping. Too many people I think want too many little things to make everything as simple as possible.

Can someone make me a "Play The Game" button that I can just repeatedly spam and it will play the entire game for me?

How did video gaming ever make it all those decades without add-on programs and macro ability? The world will never know...

If most of the aforementioned changes, or at least some form of acknowledgement is not relayed to the player base within the next 19.4 days, Bioware will inevitably permanently lose a significant chunk of its player base. That's the only reason I said within the free 30 day period.

Bioware shouldn't take the risk.

I love the "MUST IMPLEMENT ALL OF THIS" within 30 days or else the MMO fails.

Gotta love the drama.

Some of these don't sound so bad, but a some of it (especially all the add-on apps) sounds like enabled griping. Too many people I think want too many little things to make everything as simple as possible.

Can someone make me a "Play The Game" button that I can just repeatedly spam and it will play the entire game for me?

How did video gaming ever make it all those decades without add-on programs and macro ability? The world will never know...

Yet another fanboy.

Macros have been around since EQ1.

Addons are not bots, they do not play the game for you. A threat or damage meter has no effect on the game.

Be shortsighted elsewhere.