The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Story can't make up for the grind

Electroflux

The fact that I've got a more readily identifiable person asking me to do it is much better. I spend the time to listen, and see how my character reacts to my choices. Sure it's basic "Go kill [x] number of [y]", but at least it isn't a "Read this contract first."

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont mind the story or side missions! and WOW has everything to do with it. WOW has set the standard for MMO's. There is no denying it. That is the game everyone will compare this one too. i like the fact they have set the standard that means SWTOR has to raise the bar higher than they have which will continually make each game better. Cause thats what competition does. But maybe your new to mmo's cause go here kill this collect this click this is the only kinda quests MMO's have! The interaction you have with the givers is what makes this one good i'll listen to a voice acting scene before i'll read a page full of crap that is all summed up into go kill 5 squirrels any day which was the standard before SWTOR raised the bar.

I can't feel any grind at all. You know, WoW made it so I got to the point I can't read any quest text in any game. THAT is the amount of quest grind it had. As things are right now, I can't feel the grind because I actually care about what I'm doing. Except the Mission Terminal ones, those I just accept and go do them. (As I said, WoW made it so I can't stand reading quest description blocks, no matter what)

I'm not killing random mobs trying to get a random quest objective to a random NPC. I'm trying to find which of the guards have the security keys, so I can free the friends of the Republic. And when I'm done, I'm going to talk with someone about it, and if there's something fishy going on, I'll yell at the quest giver and he'll react! And the only quests that are somewhat random are the Bonus Quests, and I actually like them. Why would someone not like them? If you just go taking the shortest path from A to B you end up finishing them anyway.

It seems we also have fewer quests per area, so they feel a bit more special. And most of the "Kill 10 X" or "Bring 10 Y" are bonus quests, that are easy to finish while just doing the main objective anyway.

When I'm playing TOR, I don't even care about Exp/Credits/Loot, to be honest. They "happen" and that's enough. Sometimes I don't even notice the growth of the exp bar until I level.

...If this game feels like a grind to you, I must agree with the others. The MMO genre isn't for you. Maybe you're with the wrong class? The change from Jedi Consular to Trooper made me have WAY more fun with the game.

If you can get to max level in 2 weeks, you don't have a grind. To me, grind would be EQ style sitting in spot pulling massive amounts of mobs. Besides, some of the side storylines are pretty cool, like the one in alderaan where you have to help one of the houses take over the kingship.

I played wow off and on for almost 3 years. I played some korean MMO's to. As I play this game it's like the Devs went back and played WOW and all the BS stuff like Long Griphon Flights, Scarce NPC vendors outside of town uber rare drops and especially 90% BOP items have been fixed. The only thing I can hope for this game is fishing! Any form of fishing or maybe a space version of some type will do. But most importantly if you like the SW universe this game is all that more fun for you. Of course sometimes I get bored if I'm playing for hours but then there's lots of other stuff to do besides quests. Also maybe log off and come back in a few days instead of just focusing on hitting level cap ASAP.

LOL @ peeps jumping on the OPs case about his use of the word "grind" and then having different posters defining it differently. Slang terms mean different things for different people even within a single genre.

There is ZERO quest variation in the game...there are no 'fun' quests or a single quest done differently than the one you just did. Where I come from, that's called a grind; so I agree with the OP. Its pretty easy to see the context of the OP used the word in, so focusing down a single word's meaning just goes to show you have no argument otherwise.

It did make up for it. I have two 50s, both Sith Inquisitors of different advanced class.

Also, in beta I made two Sith Inquisitors. So I basically played through the SI storyline and quest progression four times over.

And I still loved it.

Edited by AkilZodiac

The problem I have is: the main story get's mumbled up in all the pointless side stories. I'm lvl 30 BH and I don't know what's going on anymore. I have to hunt some guys down but I don't know why! I somehow forgot... Lol! IMHO (at least for Bounty Hunter) the Act 1 story is not important or dramatic enough to make an impression, so you can differentiate it from all the other (grind) quests.

The problem I have is: the main story get's mumbled up in all the pointless side stories. I'm lvl 30 BH and I don't know what's going on anymore. I have to hunt some guys down but I don't know why! I somehow forgot... Lol! IMHO (at least for Bounty Hunter) the Act 1 story is not important or dramatic enough to make an impression, so you can differentiate it from all the other (grind) quests.

Weird, I never had that problem.

Well...yeah. All the 'non story' quests are kinda drab and boring. They pretty much ALL can be boiled down to "kill X of Y", "collect X of Y", or "click X of Y". That's just a failing of the genre in general. Even the vaunted Skyrim's quests are pretty much ALL one of these three types.

I agree that there has to be more dynamism. Adding more non-combat bonuses or non-combat quests would be a nice break. "Repair 4 sensors" is the same as "kill 20 imperials" when each of those sensors is guarded by 5 imperials.

Would be nice to see some mini-game type quests added; the logic puzzle on Balmorra in the Heroic 2 area was a very decent effort, but a little sloppy in execution.

Well...yeah. All the 'non story' quests are kinda drab and boring. They pretty much ALL can be boiled down to "kill X of Y", "collect X of Y", or "click X of Y". That's just a failing of the genre in general. Even the vaunted Skyrim's quests are pretty much ALL one of these three types.

I agree that there has to be more dynamism. Adding more non-combat bonuses or non-combat quests would be a nice break. "Repair 4 sensors" is the same as "kill 20 imperials" when each of those sensors is guarded by 5 imperials.

Would be nice to see some mini-game type quests added; the logic puzzle on Balmorra in the Heroic 2 area was a very decent effort, but a little sloppy in execution.

The funny part about the Skyrim quests is that I did the main quest, beat the game, then stopped playing. I wonder if that has any relevance to this game as well. :p

Actually, I did play that and I don't really like that game either.

Although, you are probably right...I feel like MMO's are just a never-ending copy paste to me now and I'm soo tired of dedicating so much time to them when I'm really not having that much fun. I just want to see max level, but getting there is taking ages.

Therein lies the entire problem.

Personally I actually find endgame to potentially be one of the worst parts of an MMO. While levelling you can play when you want as much as you want but endgame relies upon so many other players to do anything competitive that you have to play as if you were attending appointments just in order to get all those players online and ready at the same time - this is where dedicating time to an MMO really comes into play.

There are ways to make endgame awesome without requiring such insane dedication but unfortunately MMOs haven't quite done it yet IMO.

Edited by Myrmedus

I like what there is, but don't think there is enough. I keep hearing leveling gets slower and slower as you get higher leveled but I haven't noticed it yet. If anything kills this game it will be the lack of grind, not too much of it.