The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

What exactly are the core complaints?

Gibmyster

PLEASE NO HYPERBOLE.

I am downloading the game now, so i haven't had a chance to play it yet. Never played an MMO before, but am a huge RPG fan. Loved KOTOR, thought this would be a nice psuedo-sequel and a nice place to start MMO'ing. Another large reason i want to play is because, as i've mentioned, i love roleplaying, and this game seems to have an abundance of that with it's story and choices.

Still, i keep seeing people saying this game is the worst thing since Eve at the apple; despite critical and out-of-forums extremely positive reception.

I just want to know what the CORE problems are with this game that could make someone loathe it so.

I know one is ability delay, but that's really all i've gathered.

Also, is Act 1 really as long as 1 playthrough of Kotor, as marketed?

Edited by Gibmyster

PLEASE NO HYPERBOLE.

I just want to know what the CORE problems are with this game that could make someone loathe it so.

Core problems? people are whiners. This game has things that can be added/fixed just like any MMO.

The only thing you'll find on the forums is hyperboles. Best to just play the game for yourself and judge.

Anything you can imagine, people are complaining about.

Game has some problems sure, any game I've ever played had problems.

It's very fun and very playable..to me at least. If you find flaws in other games and find that those flaws make them unenjoyable to you then this game will be no different.

PLEASE NO HYPERBOLE.

I am downloading the game now, so i haven't had a chance to play it yet. Never played an MMO before, but am a huge RPG fan. Loved KOTOR, thought this would be a nice psuedo-sequel and a nice place to start MMO'ing. Another large reason i want to play is because, as i've mentioned, i love roleplaying, and this game seems to have an abundance of that with it's story and choices.

Still, i keep seeing people saying this game is the worst thing since Eve at the apple; despite critical and out-of-forums extremely positive reception.

/e waves his hand.

These aren't the forums you are looking for!

OP, you will enjoy this game. Do not read the comments of the .01% of haters you see on these forums. Get it downloaded and get in game. One thing you will notice immediatly is how positive everyone is in the game. It is quite diffrent than the forum.

The .01% complain while the 2 million are inside enjoying this fantastic ride.

What's killing it right now, for me, is the time it takes for an ability I've activated to actually happen. At best I have to wait a full second. Sometimes I have to wait up to three seconds for an instant cast skill to actually cast...

Not horrible at level 1. Got worse fast.

The UI, crafting, GTN, no dungeon queues, no end game, 4 person groups, too easy, too hard, companions, linear planets, not sandboxy, space combat... etc, etc... basically, everything.

why don't you just leave then? - no wait... i know the answer........ no really, i do......... :eek:

The UI, crafting, GTN, no dungeon queues, no end game, 4 person groups, too easy, too hard, companions, linear planets, not sandboxy, space combat... etc, etc... basically, everything.

I'm not in with MMO jargon.

What's wrong with the companions?

The UI is being worked on, it does have some problems.

Enjoyed crafting in the game more than any other!

GTN is also being fixed

no dungeon queues is a good thing

there are end game flash points no one has completed yet

4 person groups aren't a game breaking problem (yes it's not wow)

too easy / too hard whut??

companions are great

the devs have said from the start it would not be sandbox

STAR FOX RULES!

Edited by Krenum

A lot of people were expecting and anticipating a fresh, dynamic and modern MMO with its own and unique feel and solutions, free from the plague that is the WoW community/playerbase.

SWTOR are not those things, but the fault lies not only with Bioware but also with the same people (including my self) expecting too much of the game although given the amount of time and resources put into it BW should in all honesty have managed a more complete product.

Its really too bad though, we need more good MMO´s on the market and not less.

What's killing it right now, for me, is the time it takes for an ability I've activated to actually happen. At best I have to wait a full second. Sometimes I have to wait up to three seconds for an instant cast skill to actually cast...

Not horrible at level 1. Got worse fast.

I know this seems to be affecting some people; however, I personally have not experienced this nor has my wife and we have tried to recreate the problem. I play a Maruader and Inquisitor and she plays a Maruader. The response is perfect so far. We are at level 40. I PvP a lot and have not noticed there either.

A lot of people were expecting and anticipating a fresh, dynamic and modern MMO with its own and unique feel and solutions, free from the plague that is the WoW community/playerbase.

SWTOR are not those things, but the fault lies not only with Bioware but also with the same people (including my self) expecting too much of the game although given the amount of time and resources put into it BW should in all honesty have managed a more complete product.

So you mean to say you expected a revolutionary MMO? Fair enough i guess, though one should never raise their expectations so high. This will be my first one so it'll all be revolutionary for me.

I don't think most people understood this post....to clarify I believe this is a joke. And sadly it's also what people have complained about.

Spread out complaints is at least a sign of diversity somewhere. As a rule of thumb you will encounter real bugs and issues the longer you play, and the closer you get to the end.

We have some chat fallout problems in our guild currently, there are quite a few ways to get stuck in the world, even had one such episode initiated by a story sequence. You need to quick travel out of these often, since the /stuck command not always will work. And the timer on it does ill afford repeats.

Apart from such immediate and physical concerns, the game is enjoyable enough. Unless it must be compared endlessly to other products in order to be enjoyable. In which case it will probably not meet certain specifications and/or expectations. :p

---

See this is the thing... This mmo IS diffrent than any other MMO out there... there are a lot of traditionalist crying boo because of this... but there are MILLIONS enjoying and loving the game. No one game can please everyone, so maybe it isn't the game for you. But it is the game for millions of others.

Could not have described SWTOR any better. Other than to say we are being attacked by the WoW faithful. But they will be gone soon....We all hope.

So you mean to say you expected a revolutionary MMO? Fair enough i guess, though one should never raise their expectations so high. This will be my first one so it'll all be revolutionary for me.

Well, I expected an MMO first and foremost which IMO there is doubt if SWTOR really can be called at this point without stretching the concept a fair bit.

so...? you don't get it? im not in the mood to help you figure that one out sir. remember kids, stay in school! :)

So I cut it short instead of giving a rude reply. I should have realized the obvious given your first response.

I'm not in with MMO jargon.

What's wrong with the companions?

That they exist basically. They just dont like the idea about them, but if you dont want them they are easy to dismiss, or keep on some mission or another.

People complain about ability lag, even though I can't say much about it. Yes, it exists, but I've never felt that I've died because of it, when the abiltiy is activated the damage hits, whether or not the animation occurs.

People complain over lack of PvP brackets, which is actually legit. Even though it seems like there is some system in place here, it clearly isnt good enough. LVL 11's with hardly any abilties are no match for a 50 in full PVP gear, with all abilities and all talents.

People complain about the clunky GTM interface, again agreeable, but hardly game breaking.

People complain about the worlds not being open enough, but then again, anyone who's been to alderaan, Belsavis or Hoth would rather disagree

People complain that the leveling is too fast, even though that hardly matters really.

People complain about the lack of a "looking for dungeon" tool, even though those things usually just mean a lack of server hospitality, and world feel. That the current system is lacking, is indeed true, but to be honest, nothing kills a server community like a LFD tool

People complain over the phasing of some group quests, but that is actually halfway a blessing, as anyone who stacks up to kill the same one mob can tell you, to be honest, the phasing areas are usually really small.

People complain about the republic/empire population, while unwilling to join the other faction

People complain about lack of endgame content, and I wonder how many people have cleared both raids in the ten days the game has been out.

People complain about the storydriven gameplay.. which is just.. weird... I mean, its the game's main feature?

People complain about anything really, there are some legitimate complaints, like the lack of PvP brackets, (todays system would be fine with four brackets really) and the slight abilty delay (but its not as bad as say DCUO, LotRO's or AoC's). But most are just from a lack of familiarity. The game is fun though, and a slight newborn. As long as I am having fun, I'll keep playing, and I dont see that coming to a stop soon.

See this is the thing... This mmo IS diffrent than any other MMO out there... there are a lot of traditionalist crying boo because of this... but there are MILLIONS enjoying and loving the game. No one game can please everyone, so maybe it isn't the game for you. But it is the game for millions of others.

Traditionalists are those who carry the subscription rates long term. They choose a game and stick with it - which means paying for it - for years.

I have no doubt that SWTOR will cut a slice of the market for the future but its very unlikely it will number in millions.

Edited by DaEzz