I unsubscribed, and here's why.

jzelol

WOW wwas worse on launch. Fail logic is fail.

I honestly thought the Bioware Social Forums were bad. This forum honestly takes the cake with absolute worst community ever.

Yeah, I agree.

I am starting to believe that most of these people were too young to have played WoW at launch, are stockholders/employees of Blizzard, or have never been in on a MMO game launch before.

This has been awesome for me. The biggest issue I have right now is the un-tapable nodes. I have a 5 year old computer and have only experienced fps issues/lag in PvP. oh well.. Guess I am one of the Happy "Lucky Ones".

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wanna know something else? It currently has 8-9 million more subs than this game ever will.

Indeed, and yet it still sucks. But hey, everyone else is doing it, so you should too right? Great logic! Sheep mentality at its finest.

Edited by DarkZenith

Indeed, and yet it still sucks. But hey, everyone else is doing it, so you should too right? Great logic! Sheep mentality at its finest.

For them it's like this:

McDonalds sells more burgers than The Cheesecake Factory - therefore McDonalds makes the better burger.

No MMORPG will ever be able to compete with WoW.

Problem one is that it is simply far too expensive to create a game with all of the bells and whistles and variety of playstyle content that WoW currently has in the context of the financial realities and timeframes of expected return when it comes to game development. Even WoW did not have to do this when it was released (and it's true that this is irrelevant for purposes of today's comparisons, but it's still the case that a new MMO is not going to ship with all of this stuff out of the box --something that is going to make almost every new MMO "fail" when it comes to competing with WoW.) Just not financially feasible. Even Rift, which managed to include many of the doo-dad type stuff in its release, in doing so had to shave content at end-game, and ended up "failing" anyway as a result. Can't skin this cat financially, really.

Problem two is that even if a game comes kind of "close", like Rift did, it will still "fail" when competing with WoW because, in addition to the content-related issues described above, people simply have thousands upon thousands of hours invested in WoW at this point, multiple fully geared level capped characters, existing guild relationships and raid progression, existing friendships and the like. All of these are major barriers to switching, even when the competition is kind of "good for a new game" like Rift was. In order to overcome this psychological barrier, the new release game has to be *markedly* better than WoW, in a complete consensus fashion, and in a quite obvious way, so as to precipitate a massive shift to the new game, which would deflate the "advantages" of sticking with the old one. I honestly don't think that this will ever happen, because it will require catching lightning in a bottle again, and that just doesn't happen very often.

What we are going to continue to see, then, are new MMO releases that are "good" but cannot in any way really draw people away from WoW for more than a month or two, and which therefore "fail". It's just how the MMO space is today: it's WoW, pretty much, and then a series of games who have small hardcore fanbases playing them, but which are all clearly considered to be abject "failures" when compared with WoW. It's true that WoW will eventually peter out due to age, but it isn't really that close to doing so, and this will be a gradual process, with some people leaving MMOs altogether, and small bits and pieces migrating to this or that game, thus splitting the community gradually among other "fail" games over the course of time, rather than any one new release being a real head-to-head competitor with WoW.

So for a player of this game, the key takeaway is that the game isn't going to be competitive with WoW in the medium-term. That doesn't mean it will be shut down in the medium term, either (SWG was just shut down a couple of weeks ago, and was launched in 2003), but it does mean that the game will see server consolidations and population drain. Whether this is a problem for you depends on the players themselves. LOTRO, for example, had the same thing happen, but retained a dedicated and friendly community, even though WoW players see it as a failure -- many of the people who have been playing LOTRO don't experience their playtime there as an exercise in failure. The same holds true for EVE players or EQ2 players or what have you. But, again, whether this matters to you depends on your playstyle and whether you want/need to play in the most popular game -- because that game will remain WoW for some time to come.

No MMORPG will ever be able to compete with WoW.

I agree on that but that doesn't mean any other MMO can be as good as it is, I mean I really liked the idea of playing SW in an MMO environment and they delivered a ridiculous PvP combat and fragmented planets areas (sharding) that eradicate the MMO feeling we all wanted.

What im trying to say is that SWTOR could have been amazing but developers made a lot of bad decisions.

Most other mmo's failed due to their beta state. Even if they are great games now (see Conan for an example) - it doesn't matter, the damage is done in the first month.

The damage is done and SWTOR will be a failure. This is a fact.

WoW would like a word with you.

Also, I disagree about the idea that no other MMO can compete with WoW, I simply think it's unreasonable to expect an MMO that is 2 weeks old to compete with one that has had 6 years of refinement. Given some time I think it definitely a possibility, though to be honest I'd actually prefer to see the majority of WoW players stay on WoW because the game's community has become a joke in the last couple of years.

Edited by Myrmedus

I agree on that but that doesn't mean any other MMO can be as good as it is, I mean I really liked the idea of playing SW in an MMO environment and they delivered a ridiculous PvP combat and fragmented planets areas (sharding) that eradicate the MMO feeling we all wanted.

What im trying to say is that SWTOR could have been amazing but developers made a lot of bad decisions.

I think they made their financial decisions around making it a BioWare game first -- which was very expensive (the VA and cutscenes are just expensive to make), and made them focus less on other areas. This makes the game appeal more to people other than core MMO players, really.

But even Rift, which didn't make the mistakes people accuse this game of making, failed miserably when competing with WoW and most players left after a few months. It's just a huge financial wasteland, really, when financing and developing MMOs.

Hello,

My own opinion is this:

This game provides entertainment for an entirely different kind of player than traditional MMO's. The way they have chosen to compete with WoW is by pursuing a different kind of player base. I think if they can release regular content the way Fallout does, they will be successful.

They aren't after WoW players, to my mind. Nor even most typical MMO players. They may get some, but their real goal is the player who isn't strongly attracted to WoW in the first place.

Hello,

My own opinion is this:

This game provides entertainment for an entirely different kind of player than traditional MMO's. The way they have chosen to compete with WoW is by pursuing a different kind of player base. I think if they can release regular content the way Fallout does, they will be successful.

They aren't after WoW players, to my mind. Nor even most typical MMO players. They may get some, but their real goal is the player who isn't strongly attracted to WoW in the first place.

Gonna second this, very much so.

TOR isn't trying to replace WoW's market share. It's trying to bring an entirely new market in to the MMO world. Which is why the devs have said they don't need 8-9 million subs to be profitable. They need 500k.

If your only measure of success is overall subs, then go back to WoW and decry it the king. If you need more than sub base for your measure of success, then there have been numerous MMO's that have been very successful. Go ask the EVE community, which has been around longer than WoW and is still quite strong, if WoW is better.

Wanna know something else? It currently has 8-9 million more subs than this game ever will.

Most of the 8-9 million are probably peoples bot accounts, gold farmers and the silly people who multibox with their 4 other PCs using third party software.

The actual number of individual accounts has never been released.

Most of the 8-9 million are probably peoples bot accounts, gold farmers and the silly people who multibox with their 4 other PCs using third party software.

The actual number of individual accounts has never been released.

You sound really pathetic, any excuse to try and deny the success of WoW.

I don’t like the game myself but successful game is successful.

You sound really pathetic, any excuse to try and deny the success of WoW.

I don’t like the game myself but successful game is successful.

Odd how he never disparaged the fact that it was successful, only the factual basis of the numbers being thrown around. He has a point.

Success doesn't only mean numbers.

Hello,

My own opinion is this:

Agreed.

I am not a typical MMO player. I'm not coming here from WoW or SWG or EQ2 or Guild Wars.

That being said... I have quite a few friends who were or still are MMO, and specifically WoW players. Not one of them has major issues with the game.

I think if they can lick the responsiveness issues that some people are having, and do a general bug-crean up over the next month or so then this game has the potential to last for quite a while.

• 1 month later...
No it wasn't. WoW was FAR better at launch. Regardless SWTOR isn't up against WoW at launch it's up against WoW NOW. Where is it better? Story? :rolleyes:

flat out lie! i was there at launch. days of servers being down. logging server failing.

patches crashing system. admit it your just a hater wanting this to fail.

flat out lie! i was there at launch. days of servers being down. logging server failing.

patches crashing system. admit it your just a hater wanting this to fail.

I have to agree with this. WoW at launch was utterly awful. Re-read some of the stuff still online about it. In its defense, it did hit 1 million subscribers much, much faster than they ever expected, and then kept climbing to 10 million in the first few months. That's a crazy amount of traffic to have to deal with, and no-one had done it before.

I also agree with the sentiment that SWTOR is after a different kind of player than WoW. Much of the angst I read on these boards is from those players who haven't known or imagined anything else, and want it to be WoW In Space. There are many (the vast majority btw) of players who play the game, avoid the forums, and love it. I know, because I talk to them ingame.

SWTOR doesn't really do it for *me*, but it is enjoyable for now. I recognize that's just a personal pace thing though. It's not the game's fault. The game itself is pretty darn good.

Hello everyone,

While we do appreciate anyone who takes the time to compile feedback for us, we're closing this thread, as we do have a forum for suggestions and many subforums for specific topics. Don't forget that you can also use the In-Game Customer Service Portal to report any issues you encounter!

If you have a specific suggestion or individual piece of feedback, we encourage you to post in the Suggestion Box forum or to make a thread regarding your issue in the relevant subforum.

Thank you!