This game has a terrible, terrible crafting system.

Lord_Itharius

IMHO I think the system is good but the flaw is that high level purples can be surpassed and there is nothing crafters can do to improve it.

I think Bioware should implement the ability to RE Purples for Legendaries... I know I'm crazy enough to try it, which would have raid equivilent stats.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

IMHO I think the system is good but the flaw is that high level purples can be surpassed and there is nothing crafters can do to improve it.

I think Bioware should implement the ability to RE Purples for Legendaries... I know I'm crazy enough to try it, which would have raid equivilent stats.

But only if you need to farm raids for the mats. Crafting should never be equivalent to raids unless the mats come from raids which even then why hassle and just have the piece drop.

With the two lower difficulty of raids allowing personal loot chests I don't see crafting being much point in raids and raid equivalent gear.

Wow sounds like you have some anger issues. I personally love the crafting system.

I love the fact that I can make my companions craft for me while I go on about my business.

I love that I don't have to just BUY every schematic in the game and that there is a chance that one player will be able to make something that another player cannot (again because it doesn't just come down to BUYING every single recipe/schematic in the game).

But you are entitled to your opinion of course.

Though you should take it easier on your wall.

this this (i had to say twice due to min character restriction).

But only if you need to farm raids for the mats. Crafting should never be equivalent to raids unless the mats come from raids which even then why hassle and just have the piece drop.

With the two lower difficulty of raids allowing personal loot chests I don't see crafting being much point in raids and raid equivalent gear.

Thats an opinion, one that comes from crafting not being hard enough in other games.

Theres going to be no point in crafiting if hard mode flashpoints give better gear. Crafters who pour 10s of millions of credits into getting an RE should get a reward.

Imagine if they made 1 shot legendary recipies requriring a number of components from multiple professions.

So Legendary Headpiece (Made with 1% Purple RE schematic 1 shot)

Requires Component from BE, SYNTH and ARM (Schematic (not 1 shot) found in from Hard mode FPs)

100 T6 Metal

100 T6 Compund

40 T6 UT Metal

20 Purple UT Metal.

Crafting time 3 days.

Now tell me that should not have equivilent or better stats than a 5 hour raid.

It would cost millons of credits to create. But no one will do it if it is not some of the best gear in the game.

Otherwise dedicated crafters will have all purples in 2-3 months but the bottom will drop out of the market way before that as loot from raids pops onto the AH and crafters are reduced to twinking Alts.

I just wanted to comment on how absolutely terrible, unprofitable, and RNG-based the crafting is in this game.

Basically the way you get from green to purple quality items is by disassembling such items until you get a higher quality item with a particular prefix. So to get a best-in-slot artifact, you need to get the right combination of prefixes by disassembling many blues til you finally get your artifact. This applies to every crafting trade.

So I'm doing this for implants to get a best in slot dps warrior implant.

I'm up to 200 disassembles (days of crafting missions and hundreds of thousands of credits) and I still don't have it.

The first epic I got was a Rampart implant. Shield rating. Effing shield rating.

The second epic I just got is Commander's, which gives PRESENCE. WHO NEEDS PRESENCE?! So I can PvP better in Ilum? What. The. Hell.

How many more implants will I have to disassemble to get the fabled Hawkeye prefix? Will the million credits and ten weeks of crew missions be worth the lousy implants that I'll replace in a couple of weeks with nightmare raid gear? Why couldn't I just have an epic schematic like the crafting in EVERY OTHER MMO IN THE WORLD. Instead, I have to play the New York Mega Millions every waking moment so I can have a 1 in a million shot of unlocking a decent purple schematic.

Brilliant. I'd give Bioware a golf clap, but I think I broke my hands PUNCHING THE WALL.

Peace.

Its made for the not so smart people. Easy to learn.. Nothing new to learn.

Sad but true.....

But only if you need to farm raids for the mats. Crafting should never be equivalent to raids

Why?

Why should something that takes millions of credits before you can make it (take into account here: skilling up and RE-ing costs credits, who knew) be worse than something you can get for something you were going to do anyway?

Im crafting and leveling up my crew skills as I go through the game.

At lvl20 I have created the templates for the best purple hilts, colour crystals and enhancements for which I have access to (I cant learn anything new from my trainer at this point appart from red colour crystals which are no use to me.)

Im at level 130-145 for artifice, treasure hunting and archeology. To date I have spent in the region of 25,000 credits on leveling up the skills and repeatedly reverse engineering.

Currently I have 32,000 credits worth of spare materials on the galatic market, if my last spare sale is anything to go by, then I should have all that cash by about Wednesday morning.

Therefore, for the outlay cost of 25,000 (+ whatever the skills were, I didnt check that) I will have 6 templates to purple and will have made 32,000+ the 9,000 I already sold 2 days ago.

Please note, this is without selling a single crafted item, just leveling the skills and selling the spare materials. Thats a profit of 16,000 credits before I even start making anything.

Looking good from where I am sitting. And for the record, I didnt do any of this in the brief beta weekend, its all new to me as of the 26th December.

Coming from EVE, this crafting system is childs play :D

Please tell me what server you are on so that I can come rob them. Playing Shadow Hand I can tell you the market is evil here. People rarely buy anything. I think it's because we have so many from beta that they know they don't have to they can just get anything they need with modification/flash points. The servers that got new people are so lucky, they get to bleed them dry before they realize whats going on.

My initial reaction to the crew skills system was much the same as the OP's. However given a little extra in game time to reflect and i've changed my mind on the system.

1) When levelling through the game focus on the blues not the purples. REing to blues is fairly easy and gives good kit for your levelling needs. Especially to fill out companion gear.

2) Purples, especially low level purples are there for dedicated crafters to fill in their obsessive 'got to catch them all' tendancies. I say this with some affection as I need to have all schematics ;)

3) With a well organised guild behind you funneling resources to dedicated crafters, the astounding spawn rate of resources and crew missions resources are abundant.

4) Crafting is not just about what you can make for yourself in the first fortnight of a game but what you can supply to the community over the years.

5) Get an orange set for you main and just use commendations and quest rewards to upgrade it while levelling ;)

6) Talk to other crafters on your server maybe they have the ability to make the item you want while you have the ability to make an item they want or the ability to provide them with resources.

7) All crafting and raid gear from the original release will be made redundant by the first expansion to be released.

Crafting is what you make of it, it is a time sink that some people find enjoyable for any number of reasons. However I don't think it should ever be a means for a solo player to outequip a player dedicated to end game raiding or PvP. Best instead to be there to provide a boost to entering that endgame content.

Edited by Vhaegrant

I just wanted to comment on how absolutely terrible, unprofitable, and RNG-based the crafting is in this game.

Basically the way you get from green to purple quality items is by disassembling such items until you get a higher quality item with a particular prefix. So to get a best-in-slot artifact, you need to get the right combination of prefixes by disassembling many blues til you finally get your artifact. This applies to every crafting trade.

I'm up to 200 disassembles (days of crafting missions and hundreds of thousands of credits) and I still don't have it.

The first epic I got was a Rampart implant. Shield rating. Effing shield rating.

The second epic I just got is Commander's, which gives PRESENCE. WHO NEEDS PRESENCE?! So I can PvP better in Ilum? What. The. Hell.

How many more implants will I have to disassemble to get the fabled Hawkeye prefix? Will the million credits and ten weeks of crew missions be worth the lousy implants that I'll replace in a couple of weeks with nightmare raid gear? Why couldn't I just have an epic schematic like the crafting in EVERY OTHER MMO IN THE WORLD. Instead, I have to play the New York Mega Millions every waking moment so I can have a 1 in a million shot of unlocking a decent purple schematic.

Brilliant. I'd give Bioware a golf clap, but I think I broke my hands PUNCHING THE WALL.

Peace.

Dunno why are you so angry.

I love the crafting system, its interesting and fun for me.

So, in the end what you're saying is - the best craft-able items in the game are hard to acquire?

Oh.

And in which part of World of Warcraft did you not replace your crafted item pretty quickly? I think this is a case of you being pissed that you can't get the right item to proc and trying to burn down the whole system on the idea that it is somehow any worse than any other crafting system in any other game. At least this one is somewhat intriguing.

Please tell me what server you are on so that I can come rob them. Playing Shadow Hand I can tell you the market is evil here. People rarely buy anything. I think it's because we have so many from beta that they know they don't have to they can just get anything they need with modification/flash points. The servers that got new people are so lucky, they get to bleed them dry before they realize whats going on.

Not having people move in on my territory. :p

All I'll say is that it's European and one of the rp servers.

trying to get a purple rifle design here, have gone through 50 blues and only managed to get the useless Rampart one (Shield Rating -.-). It actually procced twice, but the second was another Rampart so it just told me I already had the schematic

can't say I'm a fan of RNG based crafting. nothing worse than a neverending losing streak :(

Peace.

They need to take the random out of the mix, and increase the success percentage with each try. No tradesman starts to craft something with "random" outcome potential, and not apprentice maintains the same amount of failure as he did on day one, some four years down the line.

I am enjoying the crafting system.

As an armstech I am one of the only sources for Techblades in the game. My guildies are loving the purples.

I have also made quite the sum of money selling purple assault cannons.

Now that I have reached 400 and almost level 50 in game I can spend my time tinkering with schematics AND be out adventuring at the same time.

Would you rather be standing at a forge making pie tins?

trying to get a purple rifle design here, have gone through 50 blues and only managed to get the useless Rampart one (Shield Rating -.-). It actually procced twice, but the second was another Rampart so it just told me I already had the schematic

can't say I'm a fan of RNG based crafting. nothing worse than a neverending losing streak :(

Basing a game on failure rather then success has never worked. It was Wow's undoing and it will be theirs if they follow that model. People play to have fun, not work a frustrating job. Not sure what part of that developers tend to not understand.

I am enjoying the crafting system.

As an armstech I am one of the only sources for Techblades in the game. My guildies are loving the purples.

I have also made quite the sum of money selling purple assault cannons.

Now that I have reached 400 and almost level 50 in game I can spend my time tinkering with schematics AND be out adventuring at the same time.

Would you rather be standing at a forge making pie tins?

one lucky happy and 4000 unlucky upset does not make for good marketing....in anything.

Basing a game on failure rather then success has never worked. It was Wow's undoing and it will be theirs if they follow that model. People play to have fun, not work a frustrating job. Not sure what part of that developers tend to not understand.

That is a fair statement, but if they don't put ANY kind of challenge or obstacles then what fun is it? You want something you can spend 100 hours in and just get the same exact place as everyone else that has put in the same amount of time? Versus you got XYZ but I got ABC in the same time frame, so as a community we are better off?

That is a fair statement, but if they don't put ANY kind of challenge or obstacles then what fun is it? You want something you can spend 100 hours in and just get the same exact place as everyone else that has put in the same amount of time? Versus you got XYZ but I got ABC in the same time frame, so as a community we are better off?

They can still make it a challenge without the frustration. Remember, my statement was regarding building the paradigm upon a principle of failure rather then success, or hope.

A simple solution that will prevent people from throwing up their arms in frustration at a never ended RNG compilation is to allow the percentage of success to increase with every pattern.

In short, one may start with a 1% possible success rate. Using arbitrary numbers, after two tries (because as I stated, one gains skill in any profession by doing), the rate goes to 2% for that particular pattern. After 4 tries, 3%, etc. just as your skill goes up with all patterns. Make the percentage gain higher at low levels (because lets face it, you can pass the level before you can actually make the item for that level), and decrease the percentage gain for, say, end game, best in slot items. This would make it more linear, more fun, with greater hope of success, and far less frustration.

The risk is still there. The challenge is still there, but the hopelessness and frustration is gone because one knows that they will eventually get there and not end up in a never ending loop. Those that are lucky may get it after 5. Those that are not may get it after 20, (again using arbitrary numbers) but they will eventually get it.

Most of the problems and issues with the system will fade with that single change.

Edited by Blackardin