Do you think story is really what MMO players want?

SnoopyDoo

c

also completely agree story for kill 10 boars quests is pointless...

Couldn't disagree more, it's precisely the VO that makes killing 10 boars more pointful than in any other MMO. It gives you more of an "alive" reason to kill the 10 boars (whether you like the quest give or not), such that it doesn't seem like you're just killing 10 boars for a grind, but actually helping someone.

IOW, the VO is a better disguise for the grind than text.

Edited by gurugeorge

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For this game? Yes. It's especially helpful for pushing me along to level up. That being said, there should be a good amount of endgame content, which I understand there isn't. Once you reach 50, how much do you care about the journey there, rather than what you're doing now? Once you reach cap and work on endgame content, the game is no longer about story.

I thought there was heroic versions of every flashpoint and raids? They are also adding a new raid that will be 3 times the size of the previous raid.

Seems like a good start for end game content to me. Have you finished it all?

Couldn't disagree more, it's precisely the VO that makes killing 10 boars more pointful than in any other MMO. It gives you more of an "alive" reason to kill the 10 boars (whether you like the quest give or not), such that it doesn't seem like you're just killing 10 boars for a grind, but actually helping someone.

Funny, here i am setting up sensors, destorying sheilds, planting bombs and taking out a sith lord while you go get 10 boar tusks.

Playing a different game?

I guess its just personal preference....

I enjoyed the story of the main quest and the side planet quests because they actually progress....

I found the story pointless for the small side quests because well it just ends and nothing changes based on the action you just took...

Now for a game thats supposed to be next generation it doesn't feel like it you know? Its pretty much quest text being read to me... because in the end any dark/light side options i take does not effect my main story or anything else in the game...

take a look at what guild wars 2 is doing and you will see next generation questing!

(My main point out of all of this is that I don't think adding Story as a new pillar of the MMO is a smart move when trying to beat other MMOs in the market)

I've been reading a lot of posts recently about what people think of this game but none directly discuss how the pillars of MMOs are being dealt with in TOR. This game is STORY DRIVEN, we've heard it numerous times now. I've heard many times In interviews the devs say they wanted story to be the new pillar in MMO and I don't think that this is a realistic prospect.

---> ESSAY ALERT <---

Think about what happens when you read a book. The story is interesting while your reading it and it can stay with you forever. You get a certain satisfaction out of knowing the parts of it. SW:TOR is saying to players 'Make your own story, live it out in your own way' This is a good idea, I myself find the idea of living an online life in the Star Wars universe to be exciting and thrilling. There is however a key problem I feel which is that this is an MMO. And what happens in all MMOs is that you reach this little brick wall called, the max level...

The problem with this idea of 'making your own story' is simply the restraints of the game itself. I find it very difficult to embrace this idea because I know that eventually I will run out of content or indeed just get bored with my character. Its also very difficult to live out a truly believable story in an MMO since the majority of time is spent killing defenceless animals or collecting random crap.

The original poll done on these forums indicated that the main things people looked for in MMOs were PvP or PvE. Anyone who has played an MMO before will surely realize that these two concepts are the foundation of the end game content. For SW:TOR these apparently weren't a problem. They made this game STORY DRIVEN despite the fact that only a tiny portion of MMO gamers would consider this even the slightest bit important. So why?

I feel as though this game simply lacks in certain areas and the only thing I can think to blame is there total emphasise on story. I have no doubt that this game will do well simply because there are plenty of people willing to put up with the quantity of story just to reach the end game. But what end game? Patching will surely add more content but with an old system ( eg. The Holy Trinity ) it will make it no different to WoW which has put a lot of focus into making its end game as fun as possible. BioWare needs to wake up and realize that this is something too important to just pretend isn't important and although the game may be story based, they do need to put end game in or the hardcore MMO players will just get up and leave.

On the topic of story I really don't like the way BioWare as implemented their vision of story. Just because I have a nice conversation with a quest giver doesn't mean that him telling me to kill 10 boars (or droids) will be any more fun. Are people really that stupid as to believe that STORY is going to make an MMO more fun in the end game. I look forward to new titles such as GW2 which promise to actually change end game for the better by directly tackling the problems people have with PVE and PVP.

This game feels more dull than WoW in the questing sense because adding in all this story actually increases the time that killing 10 boars would normally take. 'But thats just if you want to grind to max level', sure ill admit one thing I loved about WoW was that I could get to max level in no time by just grinding. That still doesn't change the fact that most MMO players are just like me, they want to get to that end game content as soon as they can and SW:TOR has tried to change that by introducing more stuff for you to do while you level up. This doesn't actually make the game experience any better in the sense that people still want to be max level as soon as they can, so I suppose much of this new content is in fact just pointless if people are just going to skip over it. I feel as though BioWare has actually harmed themselves by making story so important especially in the levelling part and I am not sure how they intend to carry this over into the end game.

To try and fix this many people may suggest that you re roll an alt, BioWare has tried to make it clear that making a new character is a whole new story and yet wont I be doing exactly the same quests? I find it hard to build this vision of a new character when so much of what I am doing is the same as what my main did previously. There is only 1 area to go and quest in for each level group, yes you could leave a location sooner or spend longer in another but you are not really living a new story except for of course your classes main one.

For an MMO which values story so highly it seems embarrassing that there is actually very little choice in how your story progresses. Oh I get to choose if i'm 'Light or Dark side', I do question the philosophical side of this game as can you really split life so plainly into just good deeds and evil ones. Yet the game gives you brownie points for taking one side which means players are either all evil or all good. Is there no middle ground? How can someone build a true story for themselves when the game pushes them to choose good over evil or vis versa. Yes you could just ignore the whole system but is it not outrageuous in the first place that they split moral choice so plainly?

To finish I would like to just discourage anyone from saying any obvious comments and that the single reason why I am posting this is to see if anyone in the community shares my concerns. BioWare has put their eggs in one basket on this game and I feel they have missed out some crucial parts of what makes MMOs successful.

(My main point out of all of this is that I don't think adding Story as a new pillar of the MMO is a smart move when trying to beat other MMOS in the market)

_EDIT_

I changed my main point's wording a little bit to greater reflect my actual opinion.

Ur doing it wrong. ;p

The race to fifty, only to find little to do. It's a story as old as Felwithe. This storyline, however, is everything, and it has a solid shot at becoming revolutionary. I want mine to continue with new epic jobs in an ever growing universe.

I've done pretty much all of EQ, and I've tanked, or lead raids through all of WoW. I hated leveling in every MMO to date. If I can have a fantastic story as a means of leveling up as they get the content ready, ....well, yeah.... I'm all over that.

Now I'm just an old country boy from Boston, but I'm thinking that its the best we've ever known. Guess we're gonna find out if there are more of me then there are of you.

When we win, please go quietly. My eyes are starting to bleed now. ;p

May the Schwartz be with you.

Edited by Blackardin

Put my vote in for story is important too please.

I don't care at all about "end game". Yuck.

Being in some kind of land-speed race to get to 50 is self defeating. Why do that to yourself? Yes you will run out of game faster. Just like if you gulp down a bottle of soda as fast as you can, you will run out faster than if you drank sensibly.

"End game" is also self defeating. Working in a tedious and boring way to replace your sword+20 with a sword+30, for the sole reason so that you can work again to replace that with a sword+40. All of which will vanish into thin air when you no longer play that game.

Have fun instead and use your imagination. Create lasting memories. But that's just me. Everyone likes what they like, even though it seems incomprehensible to someone else.

The story and VO in this game have made my characters come more alive already than months of play in other games. It's a big feature and a winner for me.

Story is very important to me, however it will never make up for good gameplay.

I can forgive some level of poor gameplay in a single player game if the story is awesome, because those end... MMO's don't.

You have to live with bad gameplay as long as you're playing an MMO, and that can be years.

Edited by Gungan

Same here. Story is more important than anything. I don't care to race to level 50.

word word word! damn the end-game and the race to "max-level". Also, I don't think Bioware's main intention was to "beat" any other MMO on the market (WAR tried that and failed miserably) I think their intention was to stay true to their roots and create an MMO that was story-driven, and that by being an MMO its story could be constantly updated over time. As they said, they'll 'live or die' by the speed at which they can present us with new content.

If anything, the one thing that might hurt this game is the fact that it was marketed to people who (foolishly in IMHO) prefer the retarded 'play' some silly dungeon for a thousand times approach to MMO gaming. Hopefully in the end, the risk they took in bringing out this beautifully crafted gem will be worth it :D

Edited by Xartarous

As it is in SWTOR; No.

Everything you do, has happened hundreds's of times already on the server, and the massive multiplayer game world didn't change a tiny bit.

If the storyline were MMO'ish, and not singplayer-like. My oppinion would drastically change.

Hi guys! I had some time off over the holidays and I played my toon up to lvl 50. I am so mad at myself for doing it, but if I accept that it was my own fault, it will damage my ego irreparably, so I'll come to the forum and take my inner confusion and turmoil out on BW and posters who are enjoying the game and didn't feel the need to rush to 50!

I'll take "Logic", for the win Alex! :rolleyes:

To answer the title of the OP's post, Yes. To further my reasoning, please stop trying to change the game into something its not and enjoy it for what it is. Offer up some constructive reasonable suggestions because complaining about such a large part of what this MMO is about is just ridiculous. This thread is so 17 seconds ago. :rolleyes: