The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Trapped in "single player mode", need help

Rootsie

My account is stuck in "single-player mode", where every planet I visit seems lifeless and I can go whole class chains without seeing more than one or two other human-controlled players. Every time I land on a planet I get put into an instance with less than 100 other players to the whole planet! Even my factions main city, the Imperial Fleet, only has about 200 other people in it at a time.

I know that my account must just be flagged for single-player mode, since my server's population is always shown as "FULL" with a sometimes lengthy queue. I spent a good hour and a half today looking for a healer for Foundry to no avail (although I did get a few people who mistook Boarding Party for Foundry). The Galactic Trade Network is fairly barren with mostly useless items and a few overpriced crafting materials (though never enough materials to make the things I need to make).

Can anyone help? I feel like I've been duped into buying a modern MMO when really I just picked up KOTOR3.

Thanks.

Edited by Rootsie

Lol

Yeah, this is pretty much the standard SWTOR experience, OP; sorry

Are you sure we're talking about the same game here? I'm talking about Star Wars: The Old Republic. The new Massively-Multiplayer Online Roleplaying Game. Nothing from that description sounds like my experience int his game.

yea the OP is 100% dead on

they have WAAAY too many shards per server.

planet I was on yesterday off and on playing for 8 hours the most people on the shard was 15.

and at the republic fleet was 8

and this is all day including primetime on a low level world.

they have too many shards! when you join a server, you arent on that server with all those people on a full server. You are then split into shards on that server.

that's the reason we aren't seeing anyone barely. unless you get lucky to get on a different shard.

and the only way of switching shards is to try and group with someone from a different shard. then you can teleport to their instance of the server.

I also only come across players once every day or so. Are you saying this is normal?

Well that depends on what is normal for a launch mmo?

More people means more competition for spawns, when WoW launched all i remember is sitting around in queues waiting for creatures to spawn with 50 other people.

I've been pleasantly surprised on this issue, it feels more immersive being on a big planet with a few others as opposed to hundreds running around.

You're only really looking at the negatives of sharding, if they put more people in the same area then they'd complain about that as well, you can't win either way.

Well that depends on what is normal for a launch mmo?

More people means more competition for spawns, when WoW launched all i remember is sitting around in queues waiting for creatures to spawn with 50 other people.

I've been pleasantly surprised on this issue, it feels more immersive being on a big planet with a few others as opposed to hundreds running around.

You're only really looking at the negatives of sharding, if they put more people in the same area then they'd complain about that as well, you can't win either way.

Isn't playing with other players part of being an MMO? When you take out the multiplayer aspect, you're now just a single-player RPG with a (lackluster) AH and (hard to find groups for) dungeons.

Oh and Chuck Norris jokes in general chat.

Are you sure we're talking about the same game here? I'm talking about Star Wars: The Old Republic. The new Massively-Multiplayer Online Roleplaying Game. Nothing from that description sounds like my experience int his game.

Yes, the genre description is very confusing, I agree

Faulty marketing by EA, imo

My account is stuck in "single-player mode", where every planet I visit seems lifeless and I can go whole class chains without seeing more than one or two other human-controlled players.

I'd check your preferences options then. There's definitely something up with your settings. I just spent a couple of hours today on Coruscant and Taris running into a bunch of people, doing some grouping and generally meeting new people.

But I set my preferences to allow that. You should open your options and double check.

Isn't playing with other players part of being an MMO? When you take out the multiplayer aspect, you're now just a single-player RPG with a (lackluster) AH and (hard to find groups for) dungeons.

Oh and Chuck Norris jokes in general chat.

True, but i've not had any problems getting groups for heroic quests or flashpoints so maybe you have a server imbalance.

My account is stuck in "single-player mode", where every planet I visit seems lifeless and I can go whole class chains without seeing more than one or two other human-controlled players. Every time I land on a planet I get put into an instance with less than 100 other players to the whole planet! Even my factions main city, the Imperial Fleet, only has about 200 other people in it at a time.

I know that my account must just be flagged for single-player mode, since my server's population is always shown as "FULL" with a sometimes lengthy queue. I spent a good hour and a half today looking for a healer for Foundry to no avail (although I did get a few people who mistook Boarding Party for Foundry). The Galactic Trade Network is fairly barren with mostly useless items and a few overpriced crafting materials (though never enough materials to make the things I need to make).

Can anyone help? I feel like I've been duped into buying a modern MMO when really I just picked up KOTOR3.

Thanks.

You are either behind or ahead of the main levelling curve. I've had no problems with groups for either flashpoints or heroics, I also see LOTS of people everywhere.

You are either behind or ahead of the main levelling curve. I've had no problems with groups for either flashpoints or heroics, I also see LOTS of people everywhere.

Define "LOTS".

I see a few. Finding groups for heroics is painful at best, even as a tank. I'm level 40, which doesn't seem too far behind or ahead of the main leveling curve.

Thanks.

And who in their right mind wouldn't like KOTOR3?