Top 10 criticisms of SW:TOR with responses

Samaul

So, your intention was to misrepresent what other people were saying and to respond to that instead of the actual complaints?

That's called a strawman, and you knocked yours down quite adequately.

I am not a gaming journalist. Take my post for what it is and that is my opinion based on what I have read in this forum. I have read every one of these criticisms in this forum. I should fact check my opinion?

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Bad or cartoon-y looking graphics.

10. SW:TOR is buggy.

> More than 3 years and hundreds of millions of dollars in development. Take it from a software developer, software development is an imperfect process. BioWare does it better than most. Given the size and scope of SW:TOR, the game is remarkably stable and bug free. If you find a bug, report it. Remember that THE LACK OF A FEATURE THAT YOU WANT IS NOT A BUG. BioWare's programmers are bug-stomping as you read this.

hahaha, you clearly have not raeched endgame content, i have NEVER seen this buggy a game. EVER, i love it, but IT IS buggy like nothing els.

hahaha, you clearly have not raeched endgame content, i have NEVER seen this buggy a game. EVER, i love it, but IT IS buggy like nothing els.

You have NEVER seen this buggy a game?

Does Age of Conan at release ring a bell?

Good post.

Beware, the anti-SWTOR brigade might be offended that someone likes the game.

i highly doubt that, I am very much in love with this game and i am very, very happy it pulled me away from wow. That being said i've seen a lot more of the opposite of what you suggested. Anyone who seems to have an criticism of anything and i do mean anything, large or small gets lambasted on these forums. It's quite off putting.

Edited by dgfbadkarma

i highly doubt that, I am very much in love with this game and i am very, very happy it pulled me away from wow. That being said i've seen a lot more of the opposite of what you suggested. Anyone who seems to have an criticism of anything and i do mean anything, large or small gets lambasted on these forums. It's quite off putting.

Agree

Hope you're prepared to have some pissed off friends.

Sorry, not everyone shares your thought.

Here's what you trolls and fanboys can't comprehend, every person is different.

While you may hate this game with a passion, someone out there really likes it despite its flaws, and likewise, you may enjoy the game, but someone out there is really angry and hateful because the game did things differently.

I enjoy the game despite it's flaws, I'm having more fun than I did with WoW during cataclysm, after 6 years it's a nice break.

I recommended this game to 4 friends so far, and they're really enjoying it, 2 of whom never even played WoW, they just like Star Wars, and this is their first MMORPG, generally first MMORGPs are the ones that leave a good impression.

That's one thing you trolls and fanboys always forget, the newcomers.

Also, Britney Spears is like WoW, not ToR.. caters to the casual musician crowd ;)

Edited by Neeseek

Start whispering ppl of the class you need. Works for me. As I said, I could live with a level or zone based single server LFG tool.

I LOL'ed hard at this. Seriously??? Start whispering randoms in the hope that any of them is doing the same Flashpoint as me.

Its already bad enough with all the unsolicited mail I get, imagine if I started getting whispers from randoms asking me if I wanted to join their group because they are missing a helaer/tank/dps. My ignore list wouldn't be big enough.

You sir are out of your mind and complete delusioned fool but thanks for the chuckles

Cheers,

I LOL'ed hard at this. Seriously??? Start whispering randoms in the hope that any of them is doing the same Flashpoint as me.

Its already bad enough with all the unsolicited mail I get, imagine if I started getting whispers from randoms asking me if I wanted to join their group because they are missing a helaer/tank/dps. My ignore list wouldn't be big enough.

You sir are out of your mind and complete delusioned fool but thanks for the chuckles

Cheers,

Actually, his way works.

Because you see, when you set a "LFG" beside your name, you're actually opening yourself to whispers, which i believe is what he was trying to say.

So if you see some guy "LFG for xxxx flashpoint" you're going to whisper him obviously.

You guys really don't know how to use the built in LFG do you?

some spoiled players here that obviously haven't been playing MMO's very long.

You guys woulda really cried and moaned had you played EQ at launch. There was no auction house then, people just stood in the tunnel and shouted what they were selling and then you'd have the fun of sending them a tell with an offer and then trying to even find them in all the people. "i'm by the third torch". That's how we did it then.

LFG tool? it was called /shout or /ooc etc.

EQ had nothing of modern MMO tools, didn't even have mounts and the funny part is, i had more fun in EQ than i have had in any MMO since no matter all the extra crap they put in. I played EQ for 2 years solid, modern mmo's i last maybe 2-3 months tops.

The tools and bells and whistles don't make a game, it just shows who the lazy players are.

Very much agreed with the OP.

This may not be the game many wanted or hoped for, but it's a good game in and of itself.

There seem to be 2 serious problems so far as I can tell - strange fps problems on some high-end systems and a peculiar unevenness wrt control responsiveness (sometimes working smoothly, often not).

The rest of the stuff I see d000000m complaints about is either just bug-fix fodder or whining.

You guys woulda really cried and moaned had you played EQ at launch. There was no auction house then, people just stood in the tunnel and shouted what they were selling and then you'd have the fun of sending them a tell with an offer and then trying to even find them in all the people. "i'm by the third torch". That's how we did it then.

EQ had nothing of modern MMO tools, didn't even have mounts and the funny part is, i had more fun in EQ than i have had in any MMO since no matter all the extra crap they put in. I played EQ for 2 years solid, modern mmo's i last maybe 2-3 months tops.

The tools and bells and whistles don't make a game, it just shows who the lazy players are.

I think we should specifically make this game worse in order to teach those lazy people a lesson! Let's take away speeders. Making people have to spend more time doing menial pointless things will make them apprecaite what it was like back in the day when you had to walk to school uphill both ways.

3. No open world. I dont like exhaustion or boundaries.

> Its a big galaxy, did you expect to be able to ride a speeder from one planet to another? Exhaustion and boundaries are part of every MMORPG including WoW. No game world goes on forever.

This would be less of an issue of so many of the planets didn't feel so tiny.

4. No dungeon finder.

> Type /who and hit enter. You can find people who are LFG and in the zone where you are questing or doing heroics. Dungeon finders, especially x-server destroy MMO communities and distort character progression by removing players from the flow of the game and rewarding bad behavior. Server communities are self policing, if you behave badly, you will be removed from your flashpoint or heroic group and likely remembered so be a team player and help your group.

5. No x-server warzone finder.

> Just click the Republic or Empire button and wait, you can queue with a group from your guild or server. See #4 for x-server issues and their effect on server communities. If you want a mindless, anonymous pvp grind, SW:TOR is not the game for you.

a. Dungeon finders, even xserver ones, do not destroy mmo communities or destroy character progression. The notion that server communities can actually self police is delusional at best.

b. Same goes for warzones.

c. You can certainly play sw:TOR as a mindless anonymous pvp grind. There's nothing people can do to stop you from doing so.

6. No flying mounts.

> You have your own space ship, you can go anywhere in the galaxy in an instant. What more do you want?

a. To fly around on a jet pack. I see npc's do it. I saw the bounty hunter in the trailers do it. I want to do it in game.

b. Actually fly my ship around the planet. I have a ship, it should be better than any flying mount in any other game.

8. SW:TOR is boring, cut scenes and voice acting are time consuming and a waste of time.

> Voice acting and cut scenes are a key part of the game. If you have MMORPG ADHD, try ritalin. If that doesnt work, SW:TOR is not the game for you. Group or social gameplay is strongly encouraged. If you dont play well with others, there are some parts of the game that you will not experience.

Other than making an ad hominem attack, you don't actually address this concern.

9. SW:TOR is not a true MMORPG.

> By whose standard? It may not be the MMORPG you are used to but SW:TOR is definitely an MMO-ROLE-PG. Take it from a role-player, SW:TOR is a role-players wet dream.

I have more than one friend who are playing it because they think it's a good single player game.

I'm not really sure why you think it's so great for a role player. You don't actually get to role play in this game any more than any other game. It's a lot closer to Roll Playing.

> More than 3 years and hundreds of millions of dollars in development. Take it from a software developer, software development is an imperfect process. BioWare does it better than most. Given the size and scope of SW:TOR, the game is remarkably stable and bug free. If you find a bug, report it. Remember that THE LACK OF A FEATURE THAT YOU WANT IS NOT A BUG. BioWare's programmers are bug-stomping as you read this.

Take it from a current software developer, past game QA tester.... seriously, this thing is terrible; calling it stable and bug free is a travesty. The only launch that I've personally seen that is worse than this was the GoD expansion for Everquest.

You can tell that the attitude for the last few months has been "we'll fix it in a patch" ... it makes the whole game seem rather unpolished.

This would be less of an issue of so many of the planets didn't feel so tiny.

Take it from a current software developer, past game QA tester.... seriously, this thing is terrible; calling it stable and bug free is a travesty. The only launch that I've personally seen that is worse than this was the GoD expansion for Everquest.

You can tell that the attitude for the last few months has been "we'll fix it in a patch" ... it makes the whole game seem rather unpolished.

I said relatively stable and bug free. Please dont put words in my mouth.

I think we should specifically make this game worse in order to teach those lazy people a lesson! Let's take away speeders. Making people have to spend more time doing menial pointless things will make them apprecaite what it was like back in the day when you had to walk to school uphill both ways.

This could be the start of a

Top 10 toughening up the playerbase suggestions.

List! :D

I enjoy the fact that 95% of the negative threads are made by "players" who dont even take the time to set up a picture on their forum account. Makes me wonder if they even play the game.

Great Post- We need more people standing up for this great game.

*LFG whiners- Its an MMO, try talking to people to find groups. Put forth a little effort. Sheesh.

Edited by Pergamon

> Its called stylized graphics. SW:TOR's graphics are not designed to be photo-realistic so that they will not look dated in a year or two. If you want photo-realism, play BF3 (great game EA).

2. Linear storyline.

> SW:TOR is a story-line driven game. All MMORPGs with experienced-based character leveling are by nature linear to some extent. SW:TOR is unique in that at each step in the storyline, you can make decisions from multiple paths that will affect the destiny of your character.

> Its a big galaxy, did you expect to be able to ride a speeder from one planet to another? Exhaustion and boundaries are part of every MMORPG including WoW. No game world goes on forever.

4. No dungeon finder.

> Type /who and hit enter. You can find people who are LFG and in the zone where you are questing or doing heroics. Dungeon finders, especially x-server destroy MMO communities and distort character progression by removing players from the flow of the game and rewarding bad behavior. Server communities are self policing, if you behave badly, you will be removed from your flashpoint or heroic group and likely remembered so be a team player and help your group.

> Just click the Republic or Empire button and wait, you can queue with a group from your guild or server. See #4 for x-server issues and their effect on server communities. If you want a mindless, anonymous pvp grind, SW:TOR is not the game for you.

6. No flying mounts.

> You have your own space ship, you can go anywhere in the galaxy in an instant. What more do you want?

7. Companion crafting and gathering.

> You have more than one of your own personal valet, bodygaurd, cyber-@#$ toy, servant or slave. Yes, you have to equip it and give it gifts. What more do you want?

8. SW:TOR is boring, cut scenes and voice acting are time consuming and a waste of time.

> Voice acting and cut scenes are a key part of the game. If you have MMORPG ADHD, try ritalin. If that doesnt work, SW:TOR is not the game for you. Group or social gameplay is strongly encouraged. If you dont play well with others, there are some parts of the game that you will not experience.

> By whose standard? It may not be the MMORPG you are used to but SW:TOR is definitely an MMO-ROLE-PG. Take it from a role-player, SW:TOR is a role-players wet dream.

Epic fanboi post..... I highlighted a few of my favorite answers. Funny how your top 10 criticisms only contain probably 3 or 4 of the most common ones. Not that it matters, I'm 100% confident in your abilities to have a response to every single criticism out there.

Yeah I guess we got used to a lot of the advancements and optimizations that mmo's released over the last 5 years have had, how silly of us. Let's do a time warp back to the "good ole days" where we roughed it and threw our weapons on the ground so that it would point in a certain direction and that would be our compass! Oh that's right, TOR already is time warped back about 8 years.

Very much agreed with the OP.

This may not be the game many wanted or hoped for, but it's a good game in and of itself.

There seem to be 2 serious problems so far as I can tell - strange fps problems on some high-end systems and a peculiar unevenness wrt control responsiveness (sometimes working smoothly, often not).

The rest of the stuff I see d000000m complaints about is either just bug-fix fodder or whining.

But Chicken Little, THE SKY IS FALLING! :p

> Its called stylized graphics. SW:TOR's graphics are not designed to be photo-realistic so that they will not look dated in a year or two. If you want photo-realism, play BF3 (great game EA).

2. Linear storyline.

> SW:TOR is a story-line driven game. All MMORPGs with experienced-based character leveling are by nature linear to some extent. SW:TOR is unique in that at each step in the storyline, you can make decisions from multiple paths that will affect the destiny of your character.

4. No dungeon finder.

6. No flying mounts.

7. Companion crafting and gathering.

> You have more than one of your own personal valet, bodygaurd, cyber-@#$ toy, servant or slave. Yes, you have to equip it and give it gifts. What more do you want?

This is awkward but I don't care. Quite possibly the first worthwhile thing I have seen on the forums yet, including any posts of my own.

In fact...

0.o

o.0

Nope, never mind I don't want to get banned. Seriously though this was a good read and should get stickied. *cough* Bioware Community Moderators *cough*