The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

The story based gameplay is flawed and might kill the game.

Ninjaboy

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why all of the sudden are there threads popping up slamming the story? Does this seem odd to anyone else?

Check the date, it's a necro.

A very succeful troll necro.

The initial post didn't even have any replies to it.

Check the date, it's a necro.

A very succeful troll necro.

The initial post didn't even have any replies to it.

Funny anytime someones complains hes a troll? Let people voice their opinions just like all the morons saying this game is amazing and flawless.

Funny anytime someones complains hes a troll? Let people voice their opinions just like all the morons saying this game is amazing and flawless.

nope. It's the context in which people complain.

Saying something will "kill the game" is a troll at best. MMOs take like 10 years to die, if they ever die.

Edited by Jswizzle

I disagree with the OP about the game story. Things like an endgame will evolve in time...why doesn't anyone remember what wow was like when it shipped? There were no BG's and only one raid you could do. The endgame evolved. It'll be the same in ToR.

In my opinion, SWTOR is highly flawed and will fail without a major overhaul for the following reasons.

1. MMO's are fun and addictive because of the unique gameplay they offer over single player and other multiplayer games. It seems that weak elements being complained about on this forum are legitimate. New games should be better, not weaker than existing games. Heavy sharding and lack of endgame are just two examples. We will play for a while because its BW and Star Wars but will we stay? I doubt it.

So we need a good story. But!!!

2. Many gamers came to this game because we like Bioware's RPGs and we like MMOs. Yet BW did not do anything to progress or evolve their art of story telling over KOTOR/Mass Effect. In short - we've played this game already. This is not good. Games need to refresh and evolve. Rockstar's GTA and Red Dead Redemption have progressed the format really well - BW have stayed still. So far (lvl 20 JK) I found both KOTOR and ME1 to be way better stories than SWTOR.

3. A story based game will require atmosphere and immersion to create an effect called 'transportation' whereby the player is sucked into the story. SWTOR does not do this effectively. Their are some great immersive moments eg Coruscant and Tython but got to Taris and or other 'on rails' worlds and the atmosphere is weak. Why they made people wait till later levels to get to the big worlds I don't know. I loved the fact that SWG, EVE and LOTRO all had these massive worlds from the start. It made me feel like I was in something massive and that was was exciting and unique. SWTOR starts with the opposite and so I don't feel the same.

4. The story is too safe. I need to care about the story. Why can't we have some more adult themes? Maybe my character is tortured or mutilated. Maybe my family is slaughtered in front of my eyes. How about a star exploding destroying a solar system. Where is the epicness? Its all a bit ploddy and run of the mill. Where is the complexity? Why dumb it down? The overarching story itself is unoriginal. A war, two sides, evil vs good, Star Wars. Come on. Not all players are in their teens. Average gamer age is 30. Lucasarts keeping them too close the license here?

Just my opinions of course.

I dont necessarily agree with all of this but there is one thing that's true.

Class based stories are severely limiting from a multiplayer-aspect. Really noticed it starting up a new toon last night how you're initially and pretty from from that point forward stuck into your own little world. I've been a strong proponent of this game having every bit of multiplayer function as any other game, but you do seem to get funneled into going off and doing your own thing a lot if you're going to focus on your class quest.

Certainly you can group and help others with their class quests and vice versa but really who wants to do that when it's of no benefit to them?

So in a couple of ways the title premise is true, story based game play for an MMO IS flawed. It won't necessarily kill the game, but nothing is perfect.

In my opinion, SWTOR is highly flawed and will fail without a major overhaul for the following reasons.

1. MMO's are fun and addictive because of the unique gameplay they offer over single player and other multiplayer games. It seems that weak elements being complained about on this forum are legitimate. New games should be better, not weaker than existing games. Heavy sharding and lack of endgame are just two examples. We will play for a while because its BW and Star Wars but will we stay? I doubt it.

So we need a good story. But!!!

2. Many gamers came to this game because we like Bioware's RPGs and we like MMOs. Yet BW did not do anything to progress or evolve their art of story telling over KOTOR/Mass Effect. In short - we've played this game already. This is not good. Games need to refresh and evolve. Rockstar's GTA and Red Dead Redemption have progressed the format really well - BW have stayed sti

So far (lvl 20 JK) I found both KOTOR and ME1 to be way better stories than SWTOR.

3. A story based game will require atmosphere and immersion to create an effect called 'transportation' whereby the player is sucked into the story. SWTOR does not do this effectively. Their are some great immersive moments eg Coruscant and Tython but got to Taris and or other 'on rails' worlds and the atmosphere is weak. Why they made people wait till later levels to get to the big worlds I don't know. I loved the fact that SWG, EVE and LOTRO all had these massive worlds from the start. It made me feel like I was in something massive and that was was exciting and unique. SWTOR starts with the opposite and so I don't feel the same

4. The story is too safe. I need to care about the story. Why can't we have some more adult themes? Maybe my character is tortured or mutilated. Maybe my family is slaughtered in front of my eyes. How about a star exploding destroying a solar system. Where is the epicness? Its all a bit ploddy and run of the mill. Where is the complexity? Why dumb it down? The overarching story itself is unoriginal. A war, two sides, evil vs good, Star Wars. Come on. Not all players are in their teens. Average gamer age is 30. Lucasarts keeping them too close the license here?

Just my opinions of course.

I disagree. This game is different just as eve is different from wow etc. This game is different than the others. I have played a lot of mmos and I am enjoying this game more than any other. This game really pulls me in, this game works at an emotional level. Hating my first overseer , laughing at Kalyo, dealing with my companions.

I would not trade getting emails about past actions for better pvp. I wouldn't trade having to worry a bit about how my choices effect my companion for a group finder. Etc.

I understand that this game isn't for everyone, and a lot of the things people don't like either really don't matter to me, or I activly prefer things the way they are.

It's a new addiction to the mmo genre like sandbox games or high end raiding games.

See, you're just not paying attention because I called the idiot who necrod the post a troll.

Or are you too sensitive with your butthurtz for the game to see that and blindly defend anything that even remotely resembles an attack on criticism even when it's not? Sure seems that way.