The end is nigh, the sky is falling, we are all doomed! and other such nonsense.

fatoldguy

As a fat old guy, yes truth in advertising in a forum name, I really do not understand the instant gratification generation. What MMO has ever launched in state that it was flawless and completely polished? All games have issues at launch, most far more than this one has.

I have been playing MMO's since UO, and they all needed a lot of work at the beginning. The current king of MMO's, WOW was nothing at all like it is now when it launched, in fact it's launch was infinitely worse than this one, it took years to make it into what it is now, which leads me to another issue. Sometimes enough people complaining make developers do things that in the long run effect the game in unintended ways, SWG is a perfect example of this as is to a lesser extent WOW. SWG was basically destroyed by these complaints, and resulting changes, and WOW is in decline I believe for similar reasons.

So be careful what you ask for, complaints can be constructive, but they can also be counterproductive, If you see a glaring issue, post about it in a reasonable manor, free of hyperbole, with no comparisons to other games, and without predictions of impending doom, list the issues and if you feel you must, what you think can be done about them, and leave it at that.

In short, nothing is perfect, you will never get everything you want, and complaining about things is not always going to get the result you desire, the sooner you realize these things, the happier your life will be. Old guy rant over.

Edited by fatoldguy

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed. I like to believe that a company that makes games is more than aware of what the game requires and glance over the same old threads asking for the same old things because they know the difference—because they know their game. What she needs. What she doesn't.

Not every post on the forum is bias and needy, not every request game shattering. It's shocking how people that ask for things label those that disagree virgin 40 year old fan-boys. It's shocking how these "adult" fanboys label them immature and thus incapable of having a constructive opinion that won't shatter the game, somehow.

Is asking for chat bubbles insane when you have the option to switch them off? Is asking for a more eye-appealing sit? A more chair-friendly sit? To utilise the stunning cantinas into vibrant hubs of social activity? To fix the odd graphical twitch so our monitors don't swim in rays of green?

Both sides of the fence are as bad as the other. I have full faith the dev-team will be capable enough to sort through the data you don't see and discover what needs doing and why and how they can implant it swiftly. If they aren't? Well that will be six months down the line and right now I couldn't care less! Let them make mistakes and if the game's truly unworthy of us as players, let's leave. Simply as.

I'm having a rant because these forums are a disgrace. No wonder they forbid us from having basic server forums. I honestly feel like kid stuck with a group of naughty kids, not allowed things because they misbehave. I'm only 25.

As a fat old guy, yes truth in advertising in a forum name, I really do not understand the instant gratification generation. What MMO has ever launched in state that it was flawless and completely polished? All games have issues at launch, most far more than this one has.

I have been playing MMO's since UO, and they all needed a lot of work at the beginning. The current king of MMO's, WOW was nothing at all like it is now when it launched, in fact it's launch was infinitely worse than this one, it took years to make it into what it is now, which leads me to another issue. Sometimes enough people complaining make developers do things that in the long run effect the game in unintended ways, SWG is a perfect example of this as is to a lesser extent WOW. SWG was basically destroyed by these complaints, and resulting changes, and WOW is in decline I believe for similar reasons.

So be careful what you ask for, complaints can be constructive, but they can also be counterproductive, If you see a glaring issue, post about it in a reasonable manor, free of hyperbole, with no comparisons to other games, and without predictions of impending doom, list the issues and if you feel you must, what you think can be done about them, and leave it at that.

In short, nothing is perfect, you will never get everything you want, and complaining about things is not always going to get the result you desire, the sooner you realize these things, the happier your life will be. Old guy rant over.

Love this post. The woes of a first world country. This is what happens when everyone gets a trophy. =0)

Fatoldguy, you rock pants.

All true what you posted and quite frankly I am getting tired of reading most of the whining on the forums here. I come for a laugh at them when I am bored, which in TOR I rarely am.

So my two cents as someone who has beta /played almost every single game out there... with a glaring exception of Wow thank god.

Give it a little time, wait and see. I think this game will go far if all just give it a chance. Wow was polished over how many years? This has now been released what 11 days? all these threads of I'm leaving, and its not good enough is just bollox. If you are 50 already then kudos, you rushed through it all and now have nothing to do. Well what did you expect?.

I have a level 35 Asassin. I am taking it somewhat slow so that I can experience the entire game as a whole.

I really hope all those screaming for every little thing to be fixed will take a breath, realise things take time and sit back and watch the game turn into something amazing.

The ONLY thing I want in this game added? ....... Guild banks..... Big shock. The rest I can live with until they get round to fixing it.

Superb post. Hopefully things will improve after the 15th when 90% of these chuckleheads suddenly find themselves without a voice to scream with.

I actually Remember you from some old EGA threads and rants. Either i am completly wrong or you changed for the better :)

Either Way, I totally agree with you in this.

The Game will change and will get better soon.

I Love it already.

Happy New Year Full of swtor, guys.

The problem with your post is that it denotes a sticking the head in the sand and pretending that the releases of a number of high profile games in the last 6 or 7 years simply never happened. That the events surrounding the very quick downfall of those games were some fantasy.

SWTOR has very little dissimilar from most of those games, and touting out the fact that WoW didn't have a lot of the things that SWTOR doesn't have as some kind of saving grace for the game is folly.

What did WoW do? It released with pretty much all the most desired gameplay related features that the popular mmos of the day had. Very very little about WoW was new or revolutionary, but it had the features that mmo gamers liked. They simply gave mmo gamers the features and style of game play that had already proven popular in other games. They didn't stick to any "we believe xxxxx so won't be putting that feature in our game" statements.

What did most of the high profile games that have been released since have in common? They decided that having too many features and gameplay elements that were popular in WoW was somhow a bad thing, and held on to some deluded belief that they had to differentiate themselves from WoW by not offering players a lot of the features they were asking for.

So what happened?

The largest bulk of people that bought the games at release were those that hadn't been following the games very closely at all up to release. They came to play at release. They came to play, and immediately noticed that the products weren't up to snuff with what they were used to, and when they asked that the products start getting brought up to snuff with what they were used to, they were attacked by pre-releasee forum hangers on, and met with resounding noes from the companies.

Sound familiar?

You want to play with the big boy on the block? You step up and deliver a lot of what the big boy can deliver. Or at least make it clear that you plan to offer what the big boy can deliver very soon.

You want to be just another scrawny kid that gets kicked to the curb? The kid barely hanging on? You just stick to your little beliefs about what YOUR COMPANY thinks a mmo should be and what features match that, and don't deliver much of what mmo gamers want and (whether you like it or not) expect in the product they choose to spend their hard earned money on.

Edited by Umbral

The problem with your post is that it denotes a sticking the head in the sand and pretending that the releases of a number of high profile games in the last 6 or 7 years simply never happened. That the events surrounding the very quick downfall of those games were some fantasy.

SWTOR has very little dissimilar from most of those games, and touting out the fact that WoW didn't have a lot of the things that SWTOR doesn't have as some kind of saving grace for the game is folly.

What did WoW do? It released with pretty much all the most desired gameplay related features that the popular mmos of the day had. Very very little about WoW was new or revolutionary, but it had the features that mmo gamers liked. They simply gave mmo gamers the features and style of game play that had already proven popular in other games. They didn't stick to any "we believe xxxxx so won't be putting that feature in our game" statements.

What did most of the high profile games that have been released since have in common? They decided that having too many features and gameplay elements that were popular in WoW was somhow a bad thing, and held on to some deluded belief that they had to differentiate themselves from WoW by not offering players a lot of the features they were asking for.

So what happened?

The largest bulk of people that bought the games at release were those that hadn't been following the games very closely at all up to release. They came to play at release. They came to play, and immediately noticed that the products weren't up to snuff with what they were used to, and when they asked that the products start getting brought up to snuff with what they were used to, they were attacked by pre-releasee forum hangers on, and met with resounding noes from the companies.

Sound familiar?

You want to play with the big boy on the block? You step up and deliver a lot of what the big boy can deliver. Or at least make it clear that you plan to offer what the big boy can deliver very soon.

You want to be just another scrawny kid that gets kicked to the curb? The kid barely hanging on? You just stick to your little beliefs about what YOUR COMPANY thinks a mmo should be and what features match that, and don't deliver much of what mmo gamers want and (whether you like it or not) expect in the product they choose to spend their hard earned money on.

So the big boy was perfect at launch? I was there, it was a horrible mess compared to this. It all got fixed in time, why do people think this will not?

Edited by fatoldguy

Love the post, shame that the people who it's aimed at will not bother to read it and if they do will certainly not take heed. They like the sound of their own voices so much, that everything else is blah blah blah to them.

LOL they removed a few replies here that involved "history" gotta love forum mods.

Well, "love" isn't the word I'd initially use. I'd tell you what word I'd use, but I don't want another infraction so soon. lol :D

Anyway, excellent post fatoldguy. Your wisdom is the ray of light this dark tunnel full of forum trolls and whiners needs.

I don't agree with the OP.

I understand it is a big big game and there may be some bug/glicthes. But in no way should most of them be in the game where all you would need to do to find them was simply play the game.

It quite simply wasn't ready for release and was rushed for christmas.

Bethesda is the worst for this...

Just because a game is new, it is not an excuse. They have quite a faulty product. Being 2011/12 release as well the standards should be a lot higher.

Edited by Malus_Rex

Well, "love" isn't the word I'd initially use. I'd tell you what word I'd use, but I don't want another infraction so soon. lol :D

Anyway, excellent post fatoldguy. Your wisdom is the ray of light this dark tunnel full of forum trolls and whiners needs.

Funny how they edit some completely appropriate things, and leave others that are over the top flames. Not complaining, just a bit erratic in what stays, and what does not.

Just because a game is new, it is not an excuse. They have quite a faulty product. Being 2011/12 release as well the standards should be a lot higher.

A 'faulty' product would be a game I couldn't boot; a game that was so buggy that I couldn't even level in. TOR has some bugs, but they are by no means so destructive as to render the game unplayable, or to deeply alter my enjoyment of the game, for that matter.

I love TOR. It has some issues, but it is by no mean another WAR or AoC or anything that bad. The problem with this vocal (but small) forum crowd is that they've become obsessed with the MEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEME NOWNOWNOWNOWNOWNOW phenomenon, and sometimes the gratification just isn't instantaneous. But, by all means, if you are so weak-willed that a few bugs destroy all the fun this product can provide, get lost. You and your QQ will not be missed.

Edited by AJediKnight

The problem is that 90% of the modern MMO community have no idea how MMO's play at launch. They're all used to 8 year polished WoW, so they set the bar way to high and expect to much.

Exactly, though those people will profess to have been around since XXXX was released and pretend they are experts on MMO launches, when actually their posts give them away to be liars.

The problem is that 90% of the modern MMO community have no idea how MMO's play at launch. They're all used to 8 year polished WoW, so they set the bar way to high and expect to much.

I'd agree with that. So many people didn't play WoW until BC launched... they just do not have a clue what the game was like at launch. There were no raids when WoW launched -- nothing. It took a month for them to be ready. There were bugs everywhere, and some of the launch servers were so unstable up to a year after launch that even minor boss mechanics were almost impossible. I can remember our guild, night after night, hitting the second boss in BWL (name escapes me) that was the DPS burn, and being unable to complete this faceroll content because Mannoroth was so laggy that we'd wipe during the spikes.

Seriously, if this ULTRA SMOOTH LAUNCH (and yes, it has been) is too much for you, maybe you need to take a gutcheck about being involved in this genre at all.