When people ask for "target of target" to be implemented, is this what they mean?

Boysie

I notice lack of "target of target" as a recurring theme in a lot of the threads asking for features to be added to the game.

Unless you're talking about an indicator that tells you when your target changes its target, This feature is already there.

In Options/Preferences/Interface, there is a key bindings tab at the bottom of the window.

When you scroll to the bottom of the key binding options, there is a box for "acquire target's target" Assign it a convenient key, and off you go...

There's a few other things in there like focus target which might be of interest to some people.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No. This is now what people mean.

What we WANT, is another icon on the screen literally showing the name and portrait of the target of YOUR target. Having to use key binds to see this is sloppy especially with all the other things you need to keep an eye on during combat.

Get over it. A good tank should be watching what his target is doing. Heres a hint, if you suddenly notice hes not attacking you thats a good indicator that you need to taunt him.

I love this game. I overlook a lot of minor issues that need fixing to continue to play it. This is a minor issue I overlook, but it is not one that does not need addressing. "Get over it" is not a viable solution. ToT is a very common thing in games like this and to not have it is an oversight on the part of Bioware. Your expectation is incredibly ridiculous. If you don't agree, fine. But the rest of your post is just absurd.

So it's the picture in picture aggro indicator you want, rather than just the actual ability to select target of target?

Can't focus target allow you to quickly reacquire your original target if you need to drop it for a sec for whatever reason?

I don't use it because I play DPS, so I genuinely don't know.

So it's the picture in picture aggro indicator you want, rather than just the actual ability to select target of target?

Can't focus target allow you to quickly reacquire your original target if you need to drop it for a sec for whatever reason?

I don't use it because I play DPS, so I genuinely don't know.

Yes, that's what we want. No, a focus hotkey is not an acceptable substitute. You're saying that, as a tank or healer, we would have to periodically change targets to see who our target is targeting while avoiding bad stuff, while rotating defensive cooldowns, while maintaining maximum levels of threat/HPS? That's pretty ridiculous when adding some text (doesn't even need a portrait) to show who the target is attacking. Clearly the game KNOWS who our target is attacking or the hotkey for it wouldn't exist. Now they just need to add a display for it. Very simple.

No. This is now what people mean.

What we WANT, is another icon on the screen literally showing the name and portrait of the target of YOUR target. Having to use key binds to see this is sloppy especially with all the other things you need to keep an eye on during combat.

that in conjunction with mouseover, yes.

visual indicator lets me see if for instance that target is casting something and react to it, but either interrupting or start precasting a heal or any other number of things.

current system is not nearly as horrible as some make it out to be, but it definitely could be better.

I love this game. I overlook a lot of minor issues that need fixing to continue to play it. This is a minor issue I overlook, but it is not one that does not need addressing. "Get over it" is not a viable solution. ToT is a very common thing in games like this and to not have it is an oversight on the part of Bioware. Your expectation is incredibly ridiculous. If you don't agree, fine. But the rest of your post is just absurd.

How about be a better player, if you need a *********** window to tell you that the boss is not hitting you or is hitting someone rather than the guy you were just healing, you need better eyesight.

Edited by truedark

How about be a better player, if you need a *********** window to tell you that the boss is not hitting you or is hitting someone rather than the guy you were just healing, you need better eyesight.

Eyesight has nothing to do with it. Its a common feature, it needs to be there, its easy to add.

Edited by aznthecapn

Get over it. A good tank should be watching what his target is doing. Heres a hint, if you suddenly notice hes not attacking you thats a good indicator that you need to taunt him.

because we only care about the mob in front of us amirite.

It shouldn't. Its a stupid common feature.

To you, perhaps. To most people, thus far in this thread, it isn't. Go get your really, really weird friends who agree with you to back you up because right now you're in a very distinct minority. This minority does not include the developers of every other MMO thus far and the people who play them and have not said "we don't need a target of target window".

No need to be so difficult.

Its a simple request and a very common feature in MMOs today. Also keep in mind that there will be times where in the madness of a raid encounter where it isn't always very apparent who the mob is targeting. If the encounter is tuned well, you may only have a split second to save whoever pulled aggro and ToT helps a great deal.

On a side note this community leaves a lot to be desired. Even reasonable requests meet with scorn. Doesn't make me optimistic for the future of the game.

On a side note this community leaves a lot to be desired. Even reasonable requests meet with scorn. Doesn't make me optimistic for the future of the game.

Don't confuse the forum denizens with the "community" of this game. Not the same thing by a long shot. WoW's community AND forums are far worse and look how persistent it is? SWTOR is going to be fine, despite people like truedark and his silliness.

No need to be so difficult.

Its a simple request and a very common feature in MMOs today. Also keep in mind that there will be times where in the madness of a raid encounter where it isn't always very apparent who the mob is targeting. If the encounter is tuned well, you may only have a split second to save whoever pulled aggro and ToT helps a great deal.

And I disagree, the ability to be aware of what mobs are doing should be what separates a good tank from a bad tank and the good healers from the bad healers.

So people want a feature that tells them who the enemy is attacking?

Its not a "feature", its just an added unit frame just like party frames or player frame or target frame. Its the target of target frame and it indicates who your target is targeting, not necessarily attacking.

An example (yes, I'm going to reference WoW, brace yourself):

There's a fight in WoW in which the boss randomly change target to someone else in the group and begins using a high damage attack on that person. The tank has to taunt the boss off this target quickly or they will die. Now if its ranged or heals, this is easy to see because the boss moves to do it. If its melee, its not so easy because the boss just turns. Most bosses so far in SWTOR are basic humanoid size, and with swirling lightsabers its not so easy to see where they are facing. No imagine instead of 3 others there's 23 others in an operation and you have to do this without a ToT window. Not so simple when your efficiency at your job is challenged.

Don't confuse the forum denizens with the "community" of this game. Not the same thing by a long shot. WoW's community AND forums are far worse and look how persistent it is? SWTOR is going to be fine, despite people like truedark and his silliness.

Honestly these forums are starting to look a lot like every other MMO forum, including WoW. Sad since the forums do have a lot to do with 'community' in an MMO. I guess these forums would have a bigger impact on community if there were server forums. I don't understand why those weren't implemented.

Obviously you've never done anything other than mindlessly DPS...

I don't think ToT effects healers much at all. And while a good tank will be a good tank even without this feature, it definitely effects them more.

What happens when there's a group of mobs beating on the tank? What if there's a member of your group who is melee and they're somewhere in the cluster of mobs the tank is fighting? What if the mobs casters who don't necessarily have to move to target someone else? What if you're fighting in a tight corridor or near a wall and the camera angles make it impossible to find a better view of the situation?

Now go ahead and consider the fact that the nameplate health bar of the mob you're targeting can obstruct the view you have of other mobs. And also mull over the fact that Bioware made scrolling combat text pop out of your target's face and scroll down their body instead of floating above and moving up.

Quit being an ignorant fanboi and open your eyes. This game is pretty good but it's got some flaws. It's not going to get any better if you and everyone like you keep insisting that it's perfect.

Edited by Nymaeria

And I disagree, the ability to be aware of what mobs are doing should be what separates a good tank from a bad tank and the good healers from the bad healers.

Fair enough and I would agree with you and a simple addition such as ToT isn't going to change that. A good tank will still be a good tank and a bad a bad. The addition would just be a minor 'enhancement' for some.

Yeah, you can't really criticize anything in this game without an army of ignorant fanbois, many of whom have never even played an MMO with any success in the past, will rush to defend SWTOR as the epitome of MMOs, a bastion of perfection wherein no wrong has been or can be done, and then proceed to call you names, insult your intelligence, tell you to go back to WoW, etc...

That said, Target of Target is a common function, and really a necessary one. If you're in a fight with someone real or in a game, why wouldn't you know who he is attacking? It's something you need to know immediately. Not only am I a good player, but I am an experienced main-tank, and Target of Target has been around for several years. I don't need to L2P because I require ToT to be the best tank I can be. Being a good tank is being able to have all the info possible at your fingertips, process it, and then react to it, and when possible to act preemptively.

Not having ToT in SWTOR is just another one of their oversights. Has to be.