The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Heat Blast: too weak to be a 31 points talent?

LaurV

In my opinion Heat Blast is a bit too weak to be in the top pf the tanking talents of the powertech.

It's heat consumption is close to 0 and the damage is just a bit higher than that of the "auto-atack".

It's not a bad skill, but it's weak for it's position in the tree.

Heat blast absolutely makes the rotation work. It's fine. Darkness and Immortal specs get their respective rotation making talents at the top of their trees as well.

The original 31pter in beta was Oil Slick, which made sense but I assume they thought tanks needed all their defensive cooldowns at early levels and switched out slick with heat blast.

This isn't really a bad thing though. If you want to make a Shield Tech primary hybridized spec for pvp you can skip focusing on the 31st point and put more in another tree.

I agree. It either needs to dump ALL heat, have it's damage increased substantially, have more threat added, or have a shorter cooldown.

I could dig a high threat component.

should swap it with oil slick and buff oil slick imo. The 31 point ability in a tank tree should be something TANKY. Make oil slick like 50% chance to miss and put it at 31, keep heat blast the way it is and put it at 11.

Please don't.

Edited by Saggins

honestly if they tagged a threat bonus to it, my whole beef with it would evaporate

Adding a high threat component is the only thing that would ever make me think about going full Shieldtech. Our tanking tree sucks. Aside from a couple of neat bonuses like Shielded Vents and Flame Shield, it is boring as well. Heat Blast, as it stands, is plain awful; so it is the prefect Icing on the Shieldtech cake.

idk why folks bash on this but used in your rotation the heat dump is very noticable... very

and i disagree with the guy above me ... i find my tanking tree to be pretty well rounded and playing it is hella fun but i guess that iss why all the pie is not apple huh?

but ya i could see them making it " this ability cuases high threat" thing

Edited by Apiusmon

idk why folks bash on this but used in your rotation the heat dump is very noticable... very

and i disagree with the guy above me ... i find my tanking tree to be pretty well rounded and playing it is hella fun but i guess that iss why all the pie is not apple huh?

but ya i could see them making it " this ability cuases high threat" thing

I think it is a great tree too! Because I've never played a tank class in other MMOs or never played one of the other tank classes in this game.

Oh wait, I have.

Shieldtech is pretty lame bro. True story. The best perks this class has for tanking is our obscene AoE, which makes tanking easier and more fun, but that has nothing to do with the tree.

I dont want added threat to heat blast. One of the best changes WoW made to their tanking was to lose the added threat on abilites and add more damage to the abilities and threat to the stance to compensate.

Damage = threat.

I'd rather it have a bit more damage and maybe reduce the cooldown to 9 secs.

Maybe even add some synergy with somewhere in the tree with it.

In fact i will add that the Shield tech tree is pretty damn boring. 10% shield chance for 5 points high in the tree? FS boring. You could do that for 3 pts and make a fun 2pt talent which synergies well with our other ability choices as well.

No one says tanking has to be boring.

Edited by Sivn

I agree that it either needs more damage or a high threat component added.

However, my biggest beef with Heat Blast is simply the animation. It looks wimpy. It's hardly distinguishable form a normal blaster attack.

Why not have it open some vents in our armor and blast the enemy with heat? Why not use a flame-based attack? Right now it doesnt look like a 'heat blast' at all, it's a blaster shot. Very uninspired.

I think it is a great tree too! Because I've never played a tank class in other MMOs or never played one of the other tank classes in this game.

Oh wait, I have.

Shieldtech is pretty lame bro. True story. The best perks this class has for tanking is our obscene AoE, which makes tanking easier and more fun, but that has nothing to do with the tree.

Oh wait, so have I.

Shieldtech is one of my favourite classes to tank on. Anecdotal evidence and opinion means nothing. In your opinion, Shieldtech tree is lame, in my opinion, Shieldtech tree is pretty good.

:rolleyes:

Oh wait, so have I.

Shieldtech is one of my favourite classes to tank on. Anecdotal evidence and opinion means nothing. In your opinion, Shieldtech tree is lame, in my opinion, Shieldtech tree is pretty good.

:rolleyes:

Ya I was about to say the same thing lol. I have tankedi n pretty much every mmo i have played Since UO, and thei BH is the most FUN i have had tanking, plus I am already familiar( looking at stat priorities) on how to effectively min max his survivability, add in I have a death grip, and a charge, plus missiles and I shoot fire balls out my arse? you got to be kidding me to say this is not the most fun tank spec in the game, oh and I vent heat by just shielding and every 4-5 abilities popping a heat blast? yes yes yes ty much

Ya I was about to say the same thing lol. I have tankedi n pretty much every mmo i have played Since UO, and thei BH is the most FUN i have had tanking, plus I am already familiar( looking at stat priorities) on how to effectively min max his survivability, add in I have a death grip, and a charge, plus missiles and I shoot fire balls out my arse? you got to be kidding me to say this is not the most fun tank spec in the game, oh and I vent heat by just shielding and every 4-5 abilities popping a heat blast? yes yes yes ty much

BH is fun to tank with.

It has nothing to do with his trees (aside from Jet Charge, which is the best feeling charge abilitiy I"ve ever had). All of the fun in tanking on a BH comes from the heat mechanic and baseline abilities.

Show me "fun" in the tree aside from Jet Charge, perhaps Flame Surge/Flame Shield if you want to count it. Don't call out Shield Vents because that just makes our mechanic work like every other tanking mechanic (gain resource when hit)

The class is fun to tank with. The talent tree is stupid. Don't confuse the two.

I agree that it either needs more damage or a high threat component added.

However, my biggest beef with Heat Blast is simply the animation. It looks wimpy. It's hardly distinguishable form a normal blaster attack.

Why not have it open some vents in our armor and blast the enemy with heat? Why not use a flame-based attack? Right now it doesnt look like a 'heat blast' at all, it's a blaster shot. Very uninspired.

Agreed with all of this. Animation sucks and even if they don't up the damage, more threat would be nice.

I am thinking of not taking it up as a final talent. Instead I will drop those remaining points into the Pyrotech +8% rocket punch damage bonus. 8 heat will not do much for a full ST specced BH.

Heat Blast will undoubtedly add more threat/damage/flexibility to your tanking.

The 10% shield chance will definitely add some mitigation.

Problem is that the current content requires neither to be successful. I say go crazy. Do what you want.

Just be sure that if you go too crazy and find the breaking point -- where your healers take notice or you suddenly cant hold threat or have other real issues, not imagined -- with content that you inform us where that breaking point occured.