Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

1 Day of Early Access... yay?

Jowy

Yeah, the problem with that is they originally planned on three waves today, and due to a strong server performance, they released five. You know as well as I do that if people who thought they wouldn't have access until tomorrow based on ESTIMATES got access today and didn't take the time off or prepare as they felt necessary they would be pitching the same fit on these forums with different words. All these people complaining have a major entitlement complex and probably don't know how to read. The simple facts are:

1.You get the game based on when you ordered it.

2.It is first come, first served.

3.Bioware never promised a full five days, but has still gone above and beyond to offer early adopters SEVEN days.

4.Everyone will get AT LEAST one day of early access assuming they get their code in before the 19th.

Well you can either please some of the people most of the time or most of the people some of the time. I'm sure however it went down people would complain about. lol i just hate not having current information, i like being well informed whether its good or bad news.

• Replies 780
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well it is sort of frustrating the come December the mainpage still advertised "Preorder NOW and you can get up to 5 days early access" when in reality if you preordered then you were never going to get 5 days.

It is misleading.

This is very true. To make sure pre order sales stayed high and they continue to make more money, they advertise a little "misleading" information or at the very least, lack of full disclosure. Like has been stated on this very thread, LOGIC dictates that the people that ordered early will be getting the 2-7 days early access. But it would'nt make business sense to advertise " Preorder NOW and you may get 1 day of early access, if you're lucky"

Why am I paying 60 dollars for the game plus 31 days of play time when other people get 32-37 days of play time?

I think I just shed a tear for you ... nope, that was ice cream ... I guess from my laughter I must have got some under my eye when I was aiming for my mouth

At the time I pre ordered there was no mention of whats happening now. It was simple and straight forward. pre order = access 15\12

Again I'm going to stop you and ask you to show me where, in the entirety of this site, it claimed that you would get in the 15th just for pre-ordering.

This isn't mc donalds.

We're not standing in line, and THEN paying for the game the very second we get access to it.

What we're doing, is paying for the burger 7 days in advance, and they keep pushing it back. In the end we get a 6 day old burger, one we paid for 6 days ago. All while the mc donalds restaurant in question is not even full.

Logic works both ways.

Except your reverse analogy didnt work at all. Logic still stands, your argument doesnt.

it will just make people NOT want to do world pve content on pvp servers till thay are 50 stick to quite places and then the great zones thay made will be ghost towns i hope thay make it so this does not happen some how but i seen it happen in a few mmos that are very pvp based people dont wanna get farmed and i fear this may cause these great zones the created ghost towns with no world pvp at all it seems thay are well on down that road already :(

The only reason I pre ordered the game was because of the offer to get early access!! When I payed for the game, I did so because it was advertised as getting the 5 days early access. And now Im being told that I might not get the 5 days? Well thats bull ****! You advertised a product and made sales due to certain promotions and now your promotion has changed just before its due. Pretty sure there are laws against this. You cant just sell an item under a promotion, make record pre order sales and then just decide "oh wait...nah you might not get your 5 days now".

Well i agree. i was PROMISED that we get early access on the 15th...If they do break this PROMISE. then thats Just Wrong. also. would that be a LIE??

Game stores that sell and preorder this game said:

"you get early access IF you pre order now, so it is best for you to Pre order NOW to ensure your copy AND Early access On the 15th".

Thats what i was told Verbally over the counter..

Sooo it IS kinda sad that late pre-orderer's MAY get 1 day access before launch.

whats even more sad is that those that have Bought the Collector Edition get no priveliges yet, or if they do they are bugged. idk if Bugged would be the right word for this scenario

This Thread will close because the Mods hate Bad Facts.

This does not mean i don't like bioware.. just means that they need to look at it a bit more from a MMO gamer point of view, and make it fair.

The waves of Headstart(EGA) is not right imo. others get a head start in an MMO, over Others.

They might as-well just let the longtime beta testers keep their characters they've been building up for 4 months and let them stay at 50, instead. while others start at lv1 while they're at it.

But hey its their first time. so most of them are new to this.

Edited by Sakushi

Again I'm going to stop you and ask you to show me where, in the entirety of this site, it claimed that you would get in the 15th just for pre-ordering.

OMG! seriously? Obviously they have changed all the info to match what is currently happening. If It had said you "might" get up to 5 days...but you might get one...I would not have pre ordered.

Well i agree. i was PROMISED that we get early access on the 15th...If they do break this PROMISE. then thats Just Wrong. also. would that be a LIE??

Game stores that sell and preorder this game said:

"you get early access IF you pre order now, so it is best for you to Pre order NOW to ensure your copy AND Early access On the 15th".

Thats what i was told Verbally over the counter..

Sooo it IS kinda sad that late pre-orderer's MAY get 1 day access before launch.

whats even more sad is that those that have Bought the Collector Edition get no priveliges yet, or if they do they are bugged.

This Thread will close because the Mods hate Bad Facts.

This does not mean i don't like bioware.. just means that they need to look at it a bit more from a MMO gamer point of view, and make it fair.

The waves of Headstart(EGA) is not right imo. others get a head start in an MMO, over Others.

They might as-well just let the longtime beta testers keep their characters they've been building up for 4 months and let them stay at 50, instead. while others start at lv1 while they're at it.

But hey its their first time. so most of them are new to this.

um then your quarrel is with who ever you bought the game from, not bioware. it has been said over and over that it was first come first server. bioware has no controll what some random dude at a retail store had to say, and i cant believe you took his word for fact.

They are probably talking about another vendor other than This site, Origin or Bestbuy. Doesn't seem to far fetched for some vendors to get confused and advertise 5 days early when it is really "Up to" 5 days early.

Edit: But yes, this would be an issue with the retailer not bioware/EA themselves. Possibly indirectly by using ambiguous advertising.

Edited by Amialis

I'm a huge fan of the bit on the front page "Fans who have pre-ordered STAR WARS: The Old Republic can now begin playing the game!" That's not misleading at all.

I think this has the possibility of going down as one of the worst methods of launching a game ever. I'm not sure yet if it will, but I think the next couple of days will decide that. Bioware's mistake is in thinking that calling something early game access or pre-launch provides some kind of magic shield against the legitimate problems with the system. Early access periods have become synonymous with the actual launch of a game. If you want to argue that it's the fault of people for having these expectations, go ahead, but it doesn't change the reality that people are viewing Dec. 13 as the launch date while they're basically being told to just sit around and refresh their email during the daytime to see if they've been graced by the almighty power of Bioware.

So, if I pre-ordered on the 11th of December is there any chance of me playing up to 5 days early?

If the answer is "NO" then shouldn't the banner ad on the swtor page be changed to something more likely... "you may play up to 3 days early" or something else??

YOU MAY PLAY UP TO 5 DAYS EARLY is misleading if there is a 0% chance of it happening. I think the smartest thing they could do at this point is announce exactly when EGA will be given to the different time frames of pre-orders.

Also, a day is a unit of measure containing 24 hours. If they are closing the servers down some on the 19th, should the late pre-order people expect to gain access on the 18th in order to get their day?

how exactly is it false advertising, they explicitly said "you may get up to 5 days" they didnt say anything about getting ALL 5 days. this is still people failing to read whats actually there. heck im not gonna get in for a few days but im not complaining over rubbish, im glad i get to play some before release just as i was promised

they added 2 days because they can not meet that dead line

yesterday they stated you might be able to play 5 days early

today it is very clear people who ordered in december wont be in 5 days early

now i might be wrong but i find is highly unlikely BW all sat around and decided to open the game even sooner then they announced because they love their player base that much

They are probably talking about another vendor other than This site, Origin or Bestbuy. Doesn't seem to far fetched for some vendors to get confused and advertise 5 days early when it is really "Up to" 5 days early.

I read all of my info from this site. I joined this site way back in Feb 2009.

Edited by crossclayton

So, if I pre-ordered on the 11th of December is there any chance of me playing up to 5 days early?

If the answer is "NO" then shouldn't the banner ad on the swtor page be changed to something more likely... "you may play up to 3 days early" or something else??

YOU MAY PLAY UP TO 5 DAYS EARLY is misleading if there is a 0% chance of it happening. I think the smartest thing they could do at this point is announce exactly when EGA will be given to the different time frames of pre-orders.

Also, a day is a unit of measure containing 24 hours. If they are closing the servers down some on the 19th, should the late pre-order people expect to gain access on the 18th in order to get their day?

Everyone will be getting at least one day of Early Game Access - unless you pre-order on the 19th, in which case it could be less depending on the speed of your game download, etc. If you do pre-order less than a day before we end Early Game Access, you'll get access granted very soon after you redeem your pre-order code.
From http://www.swtor.com/community/devtracker.php

So you may not get 1 full day, but you will get access shortly after entering your code.

they added 2 days because they can not meet that dead line

yesterday they stated you might be able to play 5 days early

today it is very clear people who ordered in december wont be in 5 days early

now i might be wrong but i find is highly unlikely BW all sat around and decided to open the game even sooner then they announced because they love their player base that much

point is even with an extra 2 days, the fact still stands it has been known FOR MONTHS that early access would be staggered AND that it would depend on when you enter you preorder code. they have kept their word from what i see

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.