Star Wars the old Republic is simply not ready for prime time.

Fodiddle

My first cause for concern was DA2.

It was so exceedingly sub-par for a Bioware title, I remember thinking that I sure hoped that the same thing didn't happen to Old Republic. Unfortunately, it did.

This game feels as unfinished as that one. But, as with the case of DA2, I will complete this game. I'll play to the end and see the result of my character's journey. I always enjoy Bioware's story stuff, and this game is no exception.

But once it's done, it's done. No reason to re-up.

I'm with you. Unless the Legacy system turns out to be something spectacular (not holding my breath), then I'll give this game 6 months to a year before moving on.

I'm just getting back into the PC gaming market, so I'm hoping Bioware can do something to keep me hooked. But I've never been much of an MMO player, so it's really a toss-up for now.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, SWTOR should not have been released yet; at least not with the subscription payment model, and a full 60 dollars price

Nothing could of changed that, not since BioWare is on EA's leash. The best time to make a profit was the date the game launched, 11 days ago.

Is it the best quality game so far? Definitely not -- and there's a lot that should of been at launch, but it's not that gamebreaking. It's potential might of been slashed but I still have pretty high hopes for the game. They've acknowledged the most gamebreaking issue so far already and understand it's an issue, and that is the ability delay.

To flat out say "Im unsubbing this game sucks" a few weeks after release is dumb. After about 3 months, I could understand. I'll have my sub until 6 months. Even if the game breaks down for some dumb reason by the time it would still be worth it. There's plenty to do in that time period.

I would be extremely surprised if 90% of the main game-breaking issues weren't solved in that time period. And that's perfectly okay with me. I'm not expecting a seventeen times platinum MMO in the first month -- that's just being delusional.

Edited by Nightrode

biggest hurdle for me is that after played WoW for awhile, I was use to a certain level of "polish." I know this game is new so I take it with a grain of salt.

Not being able to customize the UI is my biggest complaint. The UI is my interface with the game, and not being to control it well sucks.

It is simply /amazing/ how many software developers suddenly crawl out of the woodwork when the ability to judge a game's release is called into question.

Aside from doubting that, I've learned in life that completed products in /some/ areas should be expected. I like my sandwiches whole, with meat in the middle. I like my food cooked.

But you of all people should know in this day and age that software is not like it used to be. Used to be, you could download JUNO the mail client in 1994 and go to town on email, one disc, no online updates, the software was DONE.

No longer. Software is catching up to hardware! Thus it is in a continous state of beta testing and beta updates. In fact, one might argue that most software is beta from "launch". Especially an MMO!

This is so whacky as to be frighteningly naive in the world of hardware/software. If there was a time when a completed product was completed, why not now? Also, 'beta from launch'?? Really?? Where did you pull that snippet of naivety from? The fact is, if you charge for a commercially completed product, you are expected to deliver upon it. Point me to the print. fine or otherwise, on the SWToR box, where it has the caveat that the supplied software is still in beta stage?

You're pulling wonderful imaginary ideals that suit your rabid fanboism to cover the fact that the software supplied, does not, do as it says on the tin. Live with it. But, please, please, don't come here and post your naivety on a public board, where people much senior to you, that know a hell of a lot more about production software are going their laugh at you.

What you're dealing with is an evolving product. If you wanted a "The-end" perfection game, might I direct you to:

There are none. All games have bugs, all games have issues and all games have been fixed over time, somehow. When the human element is introduced errors pop up somehow. Computers are not ubiquitous across the board and making a program run on every machine possible while still retaining its beauty is a feat in itself.

So, I might suggest that overtime as more data is collected the wonderful software developers at bioware will fix your glaring gamebreaking bugs and present to you a game you might find yourself pleased with!

I for one am sorry you are so hard to please.

Dealing with an evolving product as all MMOs are, is one thing. Dealing with a product unfit for release is another. The current release is 'should' be bug free and supply the advertised gameplay. It does not not. Simple.

The product is supplied to work on the WinTel platform, why you bring up or mention other platforms eludes me. It has nothing to do with the issue at hand.

I for one am astounded that you are so willing to pay such a high price for an incomplete, bug ridden product. Some people, or their parents, have way too much money I guess.

Not to mention these basics bugs were notified months ago, I know I bugged them in my first beta weekend, the very first they had.. So how many months should we give them to fix the basic stuff, 1, 2, 3 36? I know you are a fanboi, but I think you are taking it to a whole new leve.

On WoW some bugs took years to fixnot one or two but more like 3 or 4. Seems you forgot that.

Rift had an outstanding release.

Rift had an exceptionally unbuggy beta.

Rift had exceptional content patches.

Rift had a few 'exploits' with certain specs (like using certain abilities to negate boss skills) but they were fixed fast.

Rift lacked a 'big name'.

SWTOR had a shaky release.

SWTOR has a lot of bugs in beta and still does.

SWTOR has had no content fixes or bugs, really. (EV and Bonethrasher are still largely bugged)

SWTOR has a lot of ability bugs - delay, exploits exist as well with a lot of boss fights.

SWTOR has a 'big name'.

If SWTOR is more successful with Rift, I will assume the world is full of morons and vacate to live with my boyfriend in seclusion free of idiots.

I kinda agree. The number of things which were reported as broken on the beta forums and are still broken kinda confusing. Also releasing with a legacy system which says comming soon does not look good. But hey if its fixed within the first 30 days probably wont be a problem. Once people have to actually sub they might decide to cancel and wait on the fixes.

Rift had a few 'exploits' with certain specs (like using certain abilities to negate boss skills) but they were fixed fast.

SWTOR has had no content fixes or bugs, really. (EV and Bonethrasher are still largely bugged)

SWTOR has a lot of ability bugs - delay, exploits exist as well with a lot of boss fights.

SWTOR has a 'big name'.

If SWTOR is more successful with Rift, I will assume the world is full of morons and vacate to live with my boyfriend in seclusion free of idiots.

I keep thinking the exact same things. So far Rift is the only other game that was close to getting it right. By comparison the Star Wars release status is a disaster. Sure the server uptime is good but the bugginess of this client matches that of WAR which was awful.

I think too many companies need to learn when to kill the project or how to hold it until its ready. Every early released MMO falls into the same issue of no retention and then dries up and fails. If SWTOR is expecting to retain 1 million customers to break even, they're in for a world of pain with the state of this game compared to it's current and upcoming competitors.

If you're not prepared for this, don't develop a MMO in the first place. You will only shoot yourself in the foot and lose a ton of money doing it wrong.

Edited by Lightmgl

SWTOR has a 'big name'.

SWTOR also has 3x the content of Rift.

Look at Skyrim. Game of the year in most peoples minds. But it has more bugs than almost any other game released this year. When a world is huge, you expect more bugs. There's more things that need to come together, leaving more things that do not come together correctly.

i couldnt disagree with the OP more, but then I do wonder why people continue to play games they think are such a rip off anyway. its like the person who gobbles down an entire restaurant meal but then says it was terrible and expects it all comped.

SWTOR has a 'big name'.

A) Rift is bland, wow-retread

B) if you prefer Rift, why are you here?

This game pwns Rift. I coudlnt unsub from rift fast enough.

SWTOR has a 'big name'.

True story, it' a pity, did EA pushed it to be released? prolly.

A) Rift is bland, wow-retread

B) if you prefer Rift, why are you here?

This game pwns Rift. I coudlnt unsub from rift fast enough.

A) that's your opinion.

B) I can play as many MMO's as I want. Nya nya nya :-)

I personally believe Rift beats SWTOR point for point in the MMO arena, but the voice acting and separate stories for each class take a lot of work, so i give SWTOR a lot of space for that consideration.

A) that's your opinion.

B) I can play as many MMO's as I want. Nya nya nya :-)

I personally believe Rift beats SWTOR point for point in the MMO arena, but the voice acting and separate stories for each class take a lot of work, so i give SWTOR a lot of space for that consideration.

honeymoon period will be over soon, don't think stories voice acted or not can support mmo's

Feel free to unsubscribe. You had to be subscribed to post here, and you played the launch build in beta, so it's apparently worth your 15$ per month.

Personally, I think it's the best MMO at launch I've played. And I've played quite a few. I've never even seen weekly bug-fix patches like Bioware has been pulling in the two weeks since launch day. While I agree there's bugs, any complex game like this will have them, and they all do.

I was going to write a laundry list of issue's and bugs, but there are more than enough already stated here.

I will add that we're still dealing with the very same bugs and issues we were in beta 3 months ago.

From raid frame health bars not updating(game breaking)correctly to guild/group chat issues to companion's disappearing to flashpoint's chest's lock bug(not dropping loot after boss kills)still present in the release candidate.

These and MANY more issues that we reported 3-4 months ago and 3 different clients earlier.

Then we get our first post patch and they address TOP Priority bugs like Slicing?

What are these folks doing over there at Bioware?

Love the game, it has potential, but from my chair it seems as if Bioware are asleep at the wheel.

Here's hoping Doctor and Doctor & their team leads actually figure their own client out and wrap up the plethora of issues plaguing this game before the 30 days is up.

GL & Thx.:cool:

Feel free to unsubscribe. You had to be subscribed to post here, and you played the launch build in beta, so it's apparently worth your 15$ per month.

Personally, I think it's the best MMO at launch I've played. And I've played quite a few. I've never even seen weekly bug-fix patches like Bioware has been pulling in the two weeks since launch day. While I agree there's bugs, any complex game like this will have them, and they all do.

you implying that ppl can cancel the sub before the 30 days are over?

The generated credit card I put in is probably expired by now

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.