The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Bioware needs a new philosophy

Blackwater

I'm writing this because i truly care about Bioware and i want to see them make good game. But I have cancelled my subscription, mainly because EA supports the SOPA bill, but that's a different story.

This game have MAJOR, crippling design flaws. Two of such stand out

Illum has no incentive to kill other players, you can basically just sit in one area and get champion gear. This never should have left beta in this condition because if Bioware DOESN'T fix this, Ilum will be a ghost town, if they DO fix it, there will be thousands of people will great gear, while new comers will get face rolled.

But the biggest failure, by far, is Carrick Station. There is litterally no rationalization for putting ALL flashpoints and operations in one area. Bioware... You have 20+ planets, in an interview you said you wanted 500 within 10 years. WHY would you give us absolutely no incentive to visit them again? We don't need to go there for flashpoints because they're all on the station, we don't need to go there for crafting materials because we can just send our companions

And finally. Operations. Cleared in one night. Not much more to say, needs to be addressed

Bioware needs to change their design philosophy fast. Story and voice over is great, but it won't carry an MMO for 10 years

Edited by Blackwater

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The fact that you've already made it to 50 and cleared all the operations probably shows you need a new philosophy..

They've already said they're adding more operations with future patches. The other **** can be addressed too. Oh and lack of PvP on Ilum? There aren't that many people at 50 so who the hell do you plan to PvP with?

Most of the flashpoints on the Fleet require transportation from the fleet to the flaspoint via transports for the group (it explains itself).

Later on they could add flashpoints on planets, and add other stuff, too.

This game recently came out. It isn't done, and probably won't be near completion for another 3+ years, just like all other large MMOs.

The fact that you've already made it to 50 and cleared all the operations probably shows you need a new philosophy..

Really wasn't that hard. I got to 50 in closed beta so i skipped the dialog. REALLY didn't expect to clear the ENTIRE operation in one night

This game recently came out. It isn't done, and probably won't be near completion for another 3+ years, just like all other large MMOs.

That isn't an ample excuse any more. Bioware can't afford to have the biggest MMO release in history, with the largest budget and have so little to show for it

The fact that they supported a bill that would end the only system in the world that will help us over throw a corrupt system in the first place, WITHOUT even finding out what it is about, is the reason i will no longer support EA

That isn't an ample excuse any more. Bioware can't afford to have the biggest MMO release in history, with the largest budget and have so little to show for it

But it is. For an MMO to launch with "enough" content as you put it, you'll end up with Duke Nukem: Forever.

That is to say the game gets delayed endlessly because everytime it's near "ready", something new comes along and they have to keep adding things, or re-doing something...

MMOs are designed to work like this. They launch barebones, and they go from there. The only exception to this rule, is when popular KR/JP/China MMOs get a NA release. The only reason they are above the rule is because they're been out for years already, so it kind of bypasses that.

But it is. For an MMO to launch with "enough" content as you put it, you'll end up with Duke Nukem: Forever.

That is to say the game gets delayed endlessly because everytime it's near "ready", something new comes along and they have to keep adding things, or re-doing something...

MMOs are designed to work like this. They launch barebones, and they go from there. The only exception to this rule, is when popular KR/JP/China MMOs get a NA release. The only reason they are above the rule is because they're been out for years already, so it kind of bypasses that.

If Bioware REALLY wanted to do something smart, they would have had 20 levels of class story and voice over, and then put the rest of funding into end game.

WHY does it supposedly take 200 hours to get to level 50, but it takes one night to clear all the end game content?

Let me make this painfully clear. Bioware DOES NOT HAVE THE LUXURY of waiting 2 years after release to have good end game. YOU might be willing to wait that long for solid end game, but i guarantee the other million people don't

Edited by Blackwater

Blizzard, pandas, the second i heard about that i knew it was over. Haven't played WoW for almost a year now. Cataclysm was okay at first, i was probably more hyped than anything else.

The only thing i miss from WoW is the LFD(and probably LFR). LFD just took WoW up to a whole new level. Gave a chance to actually play from level 15-85 just by running dungeons, epicness. I loved it. It sure in hell wouldn't be possible before the LFD that i know for a fact. Kinda reminds me of swtor right now, you have to sit in general chat inviting people to even do a dungeon... /ugh. Good luck doing it non-prime time. It's a mess and can easily take an hour or more. Worst part is that you can't leave the fleet while you're looking for people or the chances of finding more players drops to rock bottom. I tried do it the same way i do it in lotro by contact people at appropriate level ranges but maybe 1 player out of 20-30 every responds to a whisper in the game. Go figure.

Blizzard, pandas, the second i heard about that i knew it was over. Haven't played WoW for almost a year now. Cataclysm was okay at first, i was probably more hyped than anything else.

The only thing i miss from WoW is the LFD(and probably LFR). LFD just took WoW up to a whole new level. Gave a chance to actually play from level 15-85 just by running dungeons, epicness. I loved it. It sure in hell wouldn't be possible before the LFD that i know for a fact. Kinda reminds me of swtor right now, you have to sit in general chat inviting people to even do a dungeon... /ugh. Good luck doing it non-prime time. It's a mess and can easily take an hour or more. Worst part is that you can't leave the fleet while you're looking for people or the chances of finding more players drops to rock bottom. I tried do it the same way i do it in lotro by contact people at appropriate level ranges but maybe 1 player out of 20-30 every responds to a whisper in the game. Go figure.

Thats a GREAT point. Not only is there no reason to leave the station, it's actually HARMFUL if you do.

Oh god, is Carrick station the Kirkwall of SWTOR?

Thats a GREAT point. Not only is there no reason to leave the station, it's actually HARMFUL if you do.

Oh god, is Carrick station the Kirkwall of SWTOR?

Oh, bull. If you're not in the station, you're running around in shouting range of a whole lot of people around your level who may want to run the same flashpoints you do, but would rather be out playing than sitting around. Talk to people. Let them know you'd like a group. Use the LFG flag.

You don't need to be an immobile lump in Carrick Station to run flashpoints, and that's one of the reasons I'm glad there's no LFD tool. It promotes behavior like that. Why not just get out and play the game?

Edited by imtrick

You don't need to be an immobile lump in Carrick Station to run flashpoints, and that's one of the reasons I'm glad there's no LFD tool. It promotes behavior like that. Why not just get out and play the game?

Because there is no REASON to get out and play the game. Bioware gave us no incentive to go back to all the great planets like Hoth or Bel Savis...

I remember i got the Eternity Vault quest, and it said "Go to the Bel Savis depths" and i was like "Oh cool! I get to go back to Bel Savis and explore some things i might have missed!"

WRONG

I had to run down the ramp of the ship into instance. This is a DEVASTATING design flaw

If Bioware REALLY wanted to do something smart, they would have had 20 levels of class story and voice over, and then put the rest of funding into end game.

WHY does it supposedly take 200 hours to get to level 50, but it takes one night to clear all the end game content?

Let me make this painfully clear. Bioware DOES NOT HAVE THE LUXURY of waiting 2 years after release to have good end game. YOU might be willing to wait that long for solid end game, but i guarantee the other million people don't

Yeah, they're going to wait two years to add more end game....

Sigh.

Because there is no REASON to get out and play the game. Bioware gave us no incentive to go back to all the great planets like Hoth or Bel Savis...

I remember i got the Eternity Vault quest, and it said "Go to the Bel Savis depths" and i was like "Oh cool! I get to go back to Bel Savis and explore some things i might have missed!"

WRONG

I had to run down the ramp of the ship into instance. This is a DEVASTATING design flaw

I'm not saying to go back; I'm saying to find groups while you're there the first time. Wherever you are, there are going to be people near your level; there's no need to go back to somewhere you've already been.

I'm not saying to go back; I'm saying to find groups while you're there the first time. Wherever you are, there are going to be people near your level; there's no need to go back to somewhere you've already been.

Uh, ok. So what if i want to do level 50 Flash Points. Where are all the level 50s? RIGHT... Carrick Station

And where are the flash points located? CARRICK STATION!

Edited by Blackwater