Sniper and pvp good pvpers only

Aniliss

First off, hello to the Imperial Agent community. I have a question regarding snipers and pvp. I wanted to know of a few peoples opinions of overall experience of pvping as sniper class. My main is a Sith Jugg and its amazing. IA is the next class im going to lv up and idk which class im going to pick. Operatives atm are FoTM so Im not too keen to roll that but I dont mind the versatility of going heals. How is sniper? For the most part I hear alot of bugs revolving around cover system issues and alot of other complaints. Me personally, I demolish snipers but I consider myself a good pvper so I make the most of what other ppl complain about. Thanks for all intelligent inquiries in advance.

ehhhhh

i find their damage nice, even on my operative i snipe for 3k. you get harassed a lot, but a mobile sniper, one who drops in and out of cover does well.... plus, 5% from guard, 20% ranged from cover and 20% flat mit to all group members = sex.

i think they are awesome and would love to play one. that said, if I were forming a 4man for FFA area I wouldn't put a sniper in it. yes, they can do operative-like damage from range, but they can't off-heal like an operative or push out the surprise burst. an operatives damage is hard to heal because its unexpected, a snipers is easily because when he charges up the enemy is expecting a burst of damage

First off, hello to the Imperial Agent community. I have a question regarding snipers and pvp. I wanted to know of a few peoples opinions of overall experience of pvping as sniper class. My main is a Sith Jugg and its amazing. IA is the next class im going to lv up and idk which class im going to pick. Operatives atm are FoTM so Im not too keen to roll that but I dont mind the versatility of going heals. How is sniper? For the most part I hear alot of bugs revolving around cover system issues and alot of other complaints. Me personally, I demolish snipers but I consider myself a good pvper so I make the most of what other ppl complain about. Thanks for all intelligent inquiries in advance.

i've been pvping from level 13 and am now currently level 28... ya we're squishy but usually i'm in the top3 on the boards of damages and kills, and i consider myself to be a decent pvper with decent gear who still has a lot to learn... recently, i've been getting grouped vs 50's and i get stomped, but i'm not too worried about it...

i haven't had any real issues with cover... ya it took some time getting used to at first, but getting used to it more and more...

we have some decen't cc's as well as dps...

check out this video i found while browsing the forums yesterday of a damn good 50 sniper in action:

http://www.brutality-swtor.com/

Sniper is extremely squishy but does not appear to deal any more damage than any other class, in addition to having massive issues with ability activation and cover.

Roll Operative. Save yourself a lot of trouble.

Sorry but that is not accurate.

You are squishy if you don't use cover smart, always re-entering cover every 6s to renew ballistic dampers buff, not use your defensive CDs, LoS, interrupt casts, pushback / kite melee etc.

Yes it does more dmg than any other class, operative is governed by CDs and positionals to deal good dmg, they have spike dmg, but is limited, they can't sustain it, and take considerably more dmg. Sins - which my main is, have good dmg with some spikes, but range is a problem you can't always stay on a target, easily getting trained being a melee class etc.

Ability activation is never a problem for me, I mainly use portable cover to deal dmg, and natural cover to make for quick position change due to imba roll movement.

Think of it that way: all time you have the ballistic dampers up, you take 30% less dmg from all type of attacks. You have 3 stacks, they proc every 1.5s, which you can renew every 6s by re-entering cover. Add your other defensive CDs on top of that, and you are quite a hard target to take down for any class, or even 2 peeps teaming up on you.

Also you are only class that has a huge protection vs stealth openers when in cover due to same effect, you take 30% less dmg from their bursty opener.

You are only class that can't be interrupted when in cover and no pushback on abilities. You can also become immune to any CC effects with entrench.

Diversion is a great ability. It cannot be removed except for sins (not sure if ops have a similar skill to remove all negative effects and render them immune for 3s), which greatly affects someone chance to land any CC / dmg on you.

Is really a great class with a big role on battlefield, takes a lot to learn to play your cards right, assess the situation and need to use key skills.

Sin and Operative are more linear, you are forced to use stuff in order to stay mobile and on your target, anything coming between you and that - random CC or knockback, and you're at disadvantage. Yes vanish is neat, but plenty of aoe effects and dots to negate it.

Am really happy with my sniper both in WZ and pve content, loads of stuff to do, at first I was worried about their proficiency without a 1 min CC for pve, but is really not needed, most fights vs difficult stuff I barely take dmg due to keeping my charges up of ballistic dampers and interrupts / roots etc.

If you just drop in cover and try to roll peeps, you will play only at 50% of your efficiency. In coming weeks I might fraps some WZs with my buddies to give you a feeling of a team sniper game play with skype com as well.

I have a sniper lvl 50 and the pvp experience is so-so. It all depends on the server you are on and what type of pvp you aim to do. In the open world pvp, snipers are actually very good. I can often take 2 vs 1 in the open if i have the jump. The damage output is very nice and you have a lot of small cc abilities.

If you plan running warzones, snipers arent as nice. Even more if you are stuck in an unbalanced server and have to run huttball more than anything else. Huttball is really bad for snipers, the line of sight is horrible if you try to snipe from above and the fact that you always need cover to have any type of knockback is a pain. You are stuck running out of cover about 75 % of the time which cripples your dps by a lot. Unless you stay camped in one spot and wait for ppl to come to you... The other warzones are actually not bad since you are able to establish yourself and dps.

Snipers are actually very effective and plenty mobile in pvp. There really aren't that many that pvp though because they cant get used to the cover mechanic. If you play like an actual sniper though its so sweet. Nothing beats finding a hide. Picking your low Hp target and blowing his head off in 2-3 shots.

When someone jumps me I just start blowing cooldowns like its going out of style. After debilitate, flashbang, leg shot, I'm usually long gone and found support. Half the time they chase me straight to my allies only to have me turn around and insta snipe>takedown ftw.

You are squishy if you don't use cover smart, always re-entering cover every 6s to renew ballistic dampers buff, not use your defensive CDs, LoS, interrupt casts, pushback / kite melee etc.

Yes it does more dmg than any other class, operative is governed by CDs and positionals to deal good dmg, they have spike dmg, but is limited, they can't sustain it, and take considerably more dmg. Sins - which my main is, have good dmg with some spikes, but range is a problem you can't always stay on a target, easily getting trained being a melee class etc.

Ability activation is never a problem for me, I mainly use portable cover to deal dmg, and natural cover to make for quick position change due to imba roll movement.

Think of it that way: all time you have the ballistic dampers up, you take 30% less dmg from all type of attacks. You have 3 stacks, they proc every 1.5s, which you can renew every 6s by re-entering cover. Add your other defensive CDs on top of that, and you are quite a hard target to take down for any class, or even 2 peeps teaming up on you.

Also you are only class that has a huge protection vs stealth openers when in cover due to same effect, you take 30% less dmg from their bursty opener.

You are only class that can't be interrupted when in cover and no pushback on abilities. You can also become immune to any CC effects with entrench.

Diversion is a great ability. It cannot be removed except for sins (not sure if ops have a similar skill to remove all negative effects and render them immune for 3s), which greatly affects someone chance to land any CC / dmg on you.

Is really a great class with a big role on battlefield, takes a lot to learn to play your cards right, assess the situation and need to use key skills.

Sin and Operative are more linear, you are forced to use stuff in order to stay mobile and on your target, anything coming between you and that - random CC or knockback, and you're at disadvantage. Yes vanish is neat, but plenty of aoe effects and dots to negate it.

Am really happy with my sniper both in WZ and pve content, loads of stuff to do, at first I was worried about their proficiency without a 1 min CC for pve, but is really not needed, most fights vs difficult stuff I barely take dmg due to keeping my charges up of ballistic dampers and interrupts / roots etc.

If you just drop in cover and try to roll peeps, you will play only at 50% of your efficiency. In coming weeks I might fraps some WZs with my buddies to give you a feeling of a team sniper game play with skype com as well.

Thanks alot for this post. You just helped me stay with my decision as a Sniper. I wasn't worried about the community saying Sniper pvp is bad because that usually translates "I get smashed so this class is broke". I was worried about the bugs. Sniper intrigued me since beta but never got to roll one. Thanks for the input.

Cover is quiet bugged (mostly cover poitns found, use the portable cover and stick to behind crates etc to gain solid cover).

Cover pulse seem bugged (works 50% of the time even if the opponents doesnt have resolve up).

sometimes any CC tend to be bugged, played matches where no CC actually worked (appart from the melee stunned) and none of the opponets had resolve up.

Sniper relies heavily on their CC to keep enemies at bay, and with the amount of bugs/issues the game has atm its simply not worth it.

I have 50 ms ping when gaming (checked if it was my latency), still things doesnt work as intended. I've run debuff checks etc to see if i actually got countered, some times i did (but was fairly easy to spot) most of the times i wasnt.

If you do level a sniper, pvp at 50 as lethality for the mobility.

edit:

the long post you quoted gave some nice pointers =) really nice, listne to it. but be aware of the bugs that prevent you from maximizing your snipers ;)

Edited by Aryndelin

What spec are you?

What spec are you?

Marksman, I am still leveling her (as my main is a deception sin) currently level 26.

This is how the spec will look like at 50 tho:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#400bsrddRoRgzZrcZh.1

Fill the marksman tree 1st, then put rest of points as you see fit.

I know many peeps will argue about me not picking Sniper Volley, but seriously I look at it more as a PvE talent than pvp / leveling. In pvp especially anything can happen - like CC / knockbacks etc, to prevent you from stacking it or even using it.

I started doing warzones from lvl 18, and never had problems, dmg is there, burst is there, CC is there etc.

But then again, I am very mobile and always re-enter cover (be it natural or portable depending on situation) every 6s for both insta snipe and new 3 charges of balistic dampners. The charges work on any dmg, including dots.

Learning all abilities, their CDs, and knowing what other classes can do - and when they are most likely to use a big cd / CC / big dmg sequence etc, is very important to plan your stuff right.

I can solo an elite and a strong without a companion at my level with all my CDs up, and end up the fight with 50%+ HP without using a pot.

2 Elites are doable with companion without much problem - she may die at a point, but you will always finish the fight and then just ress her back.

Again this is sub lvl 30 pve stuff, will post how my experiences go as I level her, but I did not have much problems on my sin - who's dmg is by far inferior, despite she got more interrupts, can remove all negative effects from her, and is less concerned about resource usage.

I love my sniper, is a new different gameplay, very challenging and rewarding. I'd say is one of the highest learning curves to master and be skilled with compared to operatives sins sorcs etc.

You need to know when to burst, when to conserve energy, when to CC, how to rotate your CDs etc.

I'm currently at 45 on my sniper, my only toon. Played sniper in beta to 35, decided to stick with snipe for release.

IMO playing sniper is the toughest class in the game, not just because we have no insta-stealths or heals, but because we have to go into cover to do anything efficient. However, the main reason it is so difficult currently because the class is so damn bugged.

I dont remember it being this bugged in beta, i'm not sure what happened.

1. More than half the time i'm in cover, my attacks dont do anything, they just load up like they are going to shoot, then nothing happens. I roll into preset covers(the green hologram dude) and nothing ever works. How are we rolling into programmed covers and nothing works? Either it says we can't see, or it loads a shot and nothing happens, or it just sits there. All the while our companion getting killed(in pve) while we find a new cover location that works, or in pvp we're dead, because seconds count. AND to add to this, whenever I personally push "cover", there is a 3 second delay between the second i push the button and the second it rolls into cover.

2. My keys are ALWAYS shaded. meaning, shaded as if they are on CD, but they really aren't. Its forcing me to keep track of CD's in my head or just push an attack and hope its off CD. Can't tell because all the keys are Shaded more than half the time, but they really aren't on CD and they work afterall.

I can continue with many bugs in the sniper class, but I wont bother you. Those are just a few of the main ones that disappoint me. I'm unsure how bioware allows such a broken mechanic to continue 3 weeks into release. I DO NOT recommend anyone rolling sniper until these things are fixed.

Good luck and enjoy whatever you decide.

I think the problem with Snipers is some people roll one thinking theyll just plop down in cover and 1shot everyone who walks by, while in reality you need to be pretty mobile and your primary role is harassment and pressure.

At least thats what Ive deduced on my level 12 Sniper after playing 2 Hutball games.

I think the problem with Snipers is some people roll one thinking theyll just plop down in cover and 1shot everyone who walks by, while in reality you need to be pretty mobile and your primary role is harassment and pressure.

At least thats what Ive deduced on my level 12 Sniper after playing 2 Hutball games.

Actually you can do that if you know how tehehe. Despite am still not 30 (27 atm) on my sniper, so I don't have follow through nor series of shots, I can make kids kiss the ground with this sequence: (pretty much all dmg happens in 2 globals - 3s): Probe, Ambush + Insta snipe, takedown. So the dmg is delivered in 2 globals (ambush + insta snipe and probe exploding, followed by a takedown).

And you are mobile. Nobody stops you from moving. All classes have same mobility in that regard - you can't count on 1-2 min cds to say that makes you mobile, talking warzones here, you will spend most of time in engagements with opposing team, so Cds will be used on a regular basis.

I'm currently at 45 on my sniper, my only toon. Played sniper in beta to 35, decided to stick with snipe for release.

IMO playing sniper is the toughest class in the game, not just because we have no insta-stealths or heals, but because we have to go into cover to do anything efficient. However, the main reason it is so difficult currently because the class is so damn bugged.

I dont remember it being this bugged in beta, i'm not sure what happened.

1. More than half the time i'm in cover, my attacks dont do anything, they just load up like they are going to shoot, then nothing happens. I roll into preset covers(the green hologram dude) and nothing ever works. How are we rolling into programmed covers and nothing works? Either it says we can't see, or it loads a shot and nothing happens, or it just sits there. All the while our companion getting killed(in pve) while we find a new cover location that works, or in pvp we're dead, because seconds count. AND to add to this, whenever I personally push "cover", there is a 3 second delay between the second i push the button and the second it rolls into cover.

2. My keys are ALWAYS shaded. meaning, shaded as if they are on CD, but they really aren't. Its forcing me to keep track of CD's in my head or just push an attack and hope its off CD. Can't tell because all the keys are Shaded more than half the time, but they really aren't on CD and they work afterall.

I can continue with many bugs in the sniper class, but I wont bother you. Those are just a few of the main ones that disappoint me. I'm unsure how bioware allows such a broken mechanic to continue 3 weeks into release. I DO NOT recommend anyone rolling sniper until these things are fixed.

Good luck and enjoy whatever you decide.

i'm not having any of these issues... i'm not saying you aren't, but those are pretty major... are you still using the beta client or did you do a new reinstall?

it's just a guess and it may not fix anything, but if i were in your shoes, i would re install the client just to make sure that isn't the issue...

1. Stop using natural cover until they fix it. Just use portable cover and place it strategically so you still get natural cover benefits. I stopped using natural cover on Hutta and, save for the random checkup to see if it works again, I haven't used Natural cover since. If you place your portable cover in the place where there is natural cover (like behind some sandbags) I think you also gain full cover benefits.

2. Stop using the spellbook abilities to take cover. Instead use the keybinds you can set up in your options.

The former have a 3 second delay, the latter is totally instant.

Edited by _Nyth

Sniper is extremely squishy but does not appear to deal any more damage than any other class, in addition to having massive issues with ability activation and cover.

This isn't directed as a flame post or anything but im going to say it.

This is complete garbage.

You shouldn't post this stuff. We are squishy yes, but we do have many ways to escape. Our damage is very, VERY strong. You can certainly be up there in terms of DPS.

You need to be careful on how you play. You need to make sure that your going to like the system thats used for this class. Its either you love it or hate it.

my original post was all based on the multiple sniper bugs in game, had nothing to do as much with the class. I obviously picked sniper for a reason over any other class, but its extremely buggy for me almost to the point of unplayable. Yes i did uninstall the beta cleanly and reinstall the new one and have even done repairs. My sniper is bugged more than anything in beta, so it makes it almost unplayable and figured everyone was having these issues.

With that said, i am ALWAYS top 1 or 2 since rank 11 and now i'm 45. ALWAYS 1 or 2 in Damage and kills and killing blows, etc...............it all comes down to the player in the end.

I have a Marksmanship Sniper with a good amount of Champions gear with the 4 set bonus and find myself being able to handle any Jedi (50's included with an Explosive Probe + Ambush, followthrough Series of Shots rinse and repeat with snipe and cc added when appropriate and maybe a takedown) Huge burst is great but has been causing me trouble with lvl 50 Powertech's and Commandos. I have noticed that if i cannot not kill someone by the time i have Entrenched, Evasion'd and Shield Probed most of their dmg my chances of survival drop significantly or when facing multiple enemy and i can finish the first person quickly but in the waiting on Series of shot CD and Ambush CD its almost always better to run and heal.

I am by no means a PvP guru and am willing to accept any tips on a sure fire way to deal with Commando/Powertech. Is it better to delay burst i have no extensive knowledge of the class do they have a shield probe esque ability to watch for.

If you're looking for a class that will get Immortal w/o having to play coward at times Sniper Marks isn't for you. Eng might be more viable but the burst offered by marks is amazing when on the outside of a mosh pit firing in

One other problem to note is character responsiveness and delay in pvp makes taking cover and expecting to get off any abilities by the time you 've been cc'd almost impossible. for instance in huttball on the cat walks i see an assassin running up about 10 yards out by the time i take cover and have spammed cover/entrenched w/e is off cd they have not only reached me but hit their knockback then im out of the fight

taking cover is 100% a hindrance in pvp first thing i did was swap the take cover in place to F and auto cover to shift + F and still

Edited by Dark_Disciple

not true, you're a major support class and if played well you don't need to worry about being "Squishy" let along that bunker down and you can take a ton of damage not to mention you have CC ablitys to prevent frontal attacks and you can also recover quickly from sneek attacks with push back arrow to the knee and Probe bot combo to nuke a sneeky runt down in seconds.

it's all about vantage points, support your team with Nade spam on clustered enemys who are ganking your fellow team maybe follow a flashbang if it's off CD.

I've Maxed top DPS many times because of my hit and run tacktics but if i can find a decent bunker spot and have good ground support i'll help the damage meters rise ;)

The biggest complaint I see on the forum (regarding Sniper) is "You have to stay in cover."

The animation is messing with everyone's head.

"Cover" is an almost instant animation... maybe a half second delay between tapping "cover" and tapping snipe or ambush. Snipe is a 1.5 second cast (instant sometimes if talented). Ambush is 2.5 seconds (1.5 if talented). Dropping to cover and firing snipe takes less than 2 seconds and it is spammable. A 2 second, high damage spammable cast.

Now, compare to say, the BH. Death from Above is 3 seconds channeled. Flame thrower is the same. In fact, if you look at most of the classes you'll find that many of their most powerful attacks are long cast or long channeled. The classes that have high mobility with instant casts (hello Operative) have cool-downs on their strongest abilities (or positionals, or range restrictions or all three)

If their were no cover system and you simply stopped running and cast snipe or ambush no one would complain about the cast time. It's the animation of cover that freaks everyone out. It used to freak me out, too. Then, I was playing my BH in a warzone and realized that I was constantly having to stop and stand still to fire my best abilities AND I was interuptable. I played my Op and was very mobile with instant casts, but they had cooldowns, and backstab is positional, so there is a lot of dancing and running and stalking.

I forget the name of that ability that the Sins have, the one that makes their lightning go to 30 meters and have more punch, but you have to tap that before you attack and then your lightning is a 3 sec. channel that can be interupted (and that ability is on a cooldown). No one complains. However, if tapping that button made the Sin drop to one knee, they would complain non-stop.

As the previous posters have said, just because you are in cover doesn't mean you should stay there. Move around, use portable cover. You can be on the run and deliver a snipe (with a guaranteed crit) and an ambush by standing still for 2 seconds. That's some burst mi amigo. Toss an explosive probe in the mix and then hit them with a corrosive dart as you start moving again and you have done some good damage to a player who doesn't even know where it came from.

I'm still pretty low level so I'm sure the higher level Snipers can correct any wrong facts in my post.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.