Is there any reason for the "LARGEST CARTEL MARKET weapons sale"?

septru

Armors, Decorations and mounts were on sale previous weeks so now it's time for the weapons it seems. Each of the previous sales lasted two weeks. This sale may last two weeks too.

There are some weapons for sale which weren't available in the cartel market before (or were listed temporarily).

Probably a "Summer Sale" style of "event". Nice it's happening.

• Like 3

Ok. That's what I thought.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it... but this sale kinda feels like a clearance "everything must go" type sale that stores do right before they go out of business. Especially when you consider the new "limited offer bundle" that basically locks players into a 6 month subscription for an overall discount... IDK something about this feels like they are trying to take as much money as possible without caring about their profit down the road. 

• Like 3

It is suspicious, but I'm trying hard to avoid the conspiracy theory thinking and enjoy new/rare shinies instead.
(Just to keep some sanity leftovers intact - because, if SWTOR goes poof, there will be a huge void in my life left and it's gonna be hard to find fast something to fill it and even mere thinking of such situation makes me go all panicky)

15 hours ago, DAWUSS said:

They need the money?

I wonder if unspent CC coins works the same way, at the accounting / balance sheet level, as unused vacation/pto does in (some) real world businesses....as "debt" that works against the company's "bottom line"

• Like 1

On 8/14/2024 at 3:00 PM, septru said:

Maybe I'm reading too much into it... but this sale kinda feels like a clearance "everything must go" type sale that stores do right before they go out of business. Especially when you consider the new "limited offer bundle" that basically locks players into a 6 month subscription for an overall discount... IDK something about this feels like they are trying to take as much money as possible without caring about their profit down the road. 

My thoughts exactly.

Alternatively, they might be trying to bring more new CM items with bigger price tag on them, so this is the pre-emptive action, to make players empty their CM pouches and be "incentivized" to buy more CM coins with real money.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Przemo_No said:

Alternatively, they might be trying to bring more new CM items with bigger price tag on them, so this is the pre-emptive action, to make players empty their CM pouches and be "incentivized" to buy more CM coins with real money.

True... but it still doesn't explain why some items are listed 80% off. A 50% discount would do just fine.

BroadSword is basically practically guaranteeing that no will ever buy those some of these CM items off the CM anymore because the price of the item will plummet on the GTN and will likely stay there for a while. Who's going to waste CC buying a 3k CC CM item when its priced at 2mill credits on the GTN? 

The more I think about it, the less it makes sense. BroadSword is simply devaluing their own product right now. And the only way it makes sense is if they no longer plan to sell that product. 

• Like 2

A. I think worst case they are planning to shut the game down at the end of next year and all these sales are to get as much money as they can before then. I say next year because if they shut it down this year, players would have a case for getting refunds because they didn't have enough time to use their DLC items. If it's a year out though, the company can say people had enough time to use the items before the shutdown and don't have to give refunds.

B. Best case they are using the extra funds from these sales to gear up for an expansion with a good set of features.

C. It could also be that EA has gotten a bit more hands off now and is letting the team experiment more. The sales could be a way of finding the sweet spot for each type of item. The sweet spot is the price where they make the most money: number of sales X cartel coins price.

For example:

• 1,000 cartel coins ($10) -> sold 100 items = $1,000 in sales
  • 500 cartel coins ($5) -> sold 300 items = $1,500 in sales
  • 250 cartel coins ($2.50) -> sold 500 items = $1,250 in sale

If they had sales numbers like this for an item, they would see that the ideal price was somewhere around 500 cartel coins ($5). They would make more money at that price point, so the price should generally stick around there most of the time. They probably would never change the base price of the item, but they could have it perpetually on sale for 50% off.

D. It could be something they are trying to get players continually paying attention to the game (logging in and checking for sales) while waiting for 7.5.1. Even if someone doesn't buy anything, that extra attention could lead to a subscription later on when season 7 comes out, something that may not have happened if they forgot about the game.

Edited by ThanderSnB
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's still pretty crappy; we need a microtransaction for our microtransaction (with a concealed price) to get items unlocked.

Reminds me of Steam sales, where a 'game' is massively reduced, but the giant pile of expensive DLC fixes aren't included.

• Like 2

On 8/16/2024 at 4:58 PM, ThanderSnB said:

A. I think worst case they are planning to shut the game down at the end of next year and all these sales are to get as much money as they can before then.

B. Best case they are using the extra funds from these sales to gear up for an expansion with a good set of features.

I actually agree. Either option could be possible. But I think we would have to be naive to believe that it's B rather than A. 

If it is Option A rather than Option B, I expect there will be an announcement that the game is shutting down anywhere between October and April (2-8 months) and the game could shut down soon after. The reason why is because the Master the Fight Bundle which is selling a discounted subscription price for an upfront 6 month sub is only available until September 21. That means BroadSword could come out with an announcement anytime after September and those players that bought the bundle would still be locked into paying until the servers shut down. 

3 hours ago, septru said:

That means BroadSword could come out with an announcement anytime after September and those players that bought the bundle would still be locked into paying until the servers shut down

Not really "locked into paying".  They would have already paid.

The game could be shutting down. However I’m pretty confident I’ve never spent cartel coins on just weapons (aside from account unlocks) I mainly buy decorations, armor, and cartel packs (and that’s usually during sales as well) the weapons I bought were on the GTN and those cost about as much cc as an hypercrate and we’re being sold for significantly less credits then those too. They were probably obtained through a cartel pack.

My point, I don’t think weapons are BS bread and butter

Edited by AFadedMemory

All these cartel market special offers were a good things. We should get lower prices on the GTN for some time and it was a good opportunity to get some good cartel market stuffs with "better" prices. It was a good opportunity to use some cartel coins to buy some items.

Edited by orichichan

12 hours ago, orichichan said:

I don't know why but I happy about it. I bought some nice weapons with a big discount on the cartel market.

Yeah, there's a sniper rifle I picked up on both accounts today that I wouldn't have ordinarily paid for at full price.

EA and BioWare were bleeding the game for profits with minimal investment the last few years it was at BioWare. Despite what some players here might think, 7.0 was a trainwreck of an 'expansion' and any management involved at EA and BioWare certainly noticed once it was live. 

EA cut the staff in half and handed SWTOR to Broadsword a little over a year ago. It's there to do more of the same, though now the capacity to make new content for players is even more constrained than the last few years at BioWare (voiced cutscenes in story updates only being one area very obviously affected). 

Sales like this occur to bleed what's left from the game before it eventually goes into full maintenance. That might be some time off, or it might be next year or the year after. There's no way to really know for players. 

It's not necessarily a bad thing, since folks who still play SWTOR certainly have no input on what EA, Lucasfilm, and Broadsword end up doing with the game. If there was a weapon, armor set, or some other item put up for sale, you may have been able to find something that was rarely on the GTN or absurdly overpriced and pick it up with CCs instead. 

Edited by arunav

On 8/16/2024 at 11:58 PM, ThanderSnB said:

A. I think worst case they are planning to shut the game down at the end of next year and all these sales are to get as much money as they can before then. I say next year because if they shut it down this year, players would have a case for getting refunds because they didn't have enough time to use their DLC items. If it's a year out though, the company can say people had enough time to use the items before the shutdown and don't have to give refunds.

This is what I feared when I saw the overpriced bundle. No one will be subbing for a game announced to be shut down so...

5 hours ago, fatsi said:

This is what I feared when I saw the overpriced bundle. No one will be subbing for a game announced to be shut down so...

I sincerely doubt the game will be shuttered, even if active development ends. We seem to be in the last era of 'active' - how long that lasts is unclear, but Broadsword will likely keep the lights on, and people will still subscribe to play the old content like they do now. The game has a core following that isn't really going anywhere - it's not like the game gets much that's new in the updates currently. And there certainly isn't a new Star Wars MMO in the works to replace this one. 

On 8/14/2024 at 9:00 AM, septru said:

This is exactly what I thought and am still thinking.

On 8/14/2024 at 4:47 PM, DAWUSS said:

They need the money?

They could just do a decent expansion and I’d pay $40-$60 for 2 more planets, a daily area, a new operation, 2 new pvp maps and a new gsf map. I’d easily pay money for that. Heck I’d preorder if they could say guys this is what we want to do but we need funding.

• Like 3

You all need to calm down :D

This is called a summer sale.

Every shop in Reallife does this. WoW Shop has it, Eso has a similar Sale, the Lotro-Store does it... Nearly every ingame shop does it! It's a very common sales-technique that actually works. It does boosts your sales tremendously. You're just concerned because it's newly implemented, but it doesn't mean that the Game will shut down in the next year.

Be happy they started doing actual Sale-Techniques in the cartelmarket. You get some good deals on Weapons, armors, whatever you wanted and Broadsword sees some good numbers on sales - which boosts development.

This is good and very healthy shop-managment.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This game is not  going anywhere.

They moved to BS to keep this game online years and years to come. This game cost millions to make its pretty obvious at this point they are not going to shutting it down.

Having said that having 6 servers online its a luxury IMO unless they are being very cheap to rent. I don't have idea about their cost.

Also the only thing noone cant' deny is the decline of it. Each year is worst. But who said its "ded" when we have so many  more"date nights" to come...😶

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1