Why were Lightning Sorcs nerfed?

Thundering Blast damage is now half of what it was prior to this patch.
Lightning Sorcs have to literally compose a symphony just to be below other classes in DPS.
Why on earth was this change made?

It's literally making something less fun for no objectively sound reason,
If it's not "functioning as intended" as is usually the excuse, who cares?!

It's not like having a little extra dps is gonna suddenly make Lightning Sorcs dominate when they've already been fighting to exist in endgame.

Just pure nonsense, please revert/fix.

• Like 1

Oh no, my sorcerer is dealing normal damage on that rare instance where my target needs to be hardstunned for the bugged damage buff to occur... How am I supposed to kill that raid boss which I couldn't hardstun anyway...

:rak_03: 

Posted (edited)

7.4 - 39-40k

7.5 - 19-20k

This is just base damage of Thundering Blast we're talking.

One of the burst class main damage sources was cut in half. 

Not sure whatever you're on about. 

Edited by TheVoyant
Clarification

idk, I thought you were complaining about Lightning getting a bug fixed, it's in the patch notes.
For the rest idk, check your gear ? I don't see reports of anyone complaining that TB's damage has been nerfed so probably something on your end.

Posted (edited)

Have verified with multiple others already. 

Run a Sorc only guild. 

I'm not one to make frivolous statements without verification. 

And just for sake of clarity, it currently does less damage then chain lightning,  which is an aoe skill!

This has never been the case as long as I've played the game, nor should an AoE ever do more damage then a main single target skill. 

Edited by TheVoyant
More details

Yep just logged in on my sorc for this but it's true.  It now does less damage than shock or lightning flash, and only a bit more than the standard lightning bolt.  WTH?!!!

• Thanks 1

Wait. Weren't lightening sorcerers already kind of weak DPS to start with?  That's one of their bread and butter skills.  It has a big ass windup as well.  That makes 0 sense.

I assume that the telekinesis equivalent got nerfed as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Longtime Madness Sorc player.  I tried Telekinesis/Lightning for the first time a few weeks ago.  Honestly it doesn't make a lot of sense to me.  Like, why do more things synergize with Mind Crush, which doesn't have an instant cast like Madness, than synergize with Turbulence?  And it doesn't seem to know whether it wants to be single target or AoE.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DarthNillard said:

Biosword: Working as Intended

It's par for the course dealing with Sorcerers and Consulars. They are the most nerfed class in the game, especially Lightning and it's mirror. I would give them the benefit of doubt here, but based on BioWare's history with this two classes, they nerfed them again. Sorcerers/Consulars Heals, DPS, and DoTs specs are the worse in the game. There must be a executive order from on high to make them so.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Lightning has been in a bad spot for a while. We have a Lightning spec on my Vet/NiM team and they are an exceptional player, but lightning is literally just so weak right now. Apparently now it's even worse. 

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Ghost_Spectre said:

but based on BioWare's history with this two classes, they nerfed them again

Doubtful, that would have been mentionned in the patch notes. If the damage issue is really there then it's definitely a bug, and you guys should ping one of the devs to acknowledge it

39 minutes ago, supertimtaf said:

Doubtful, that would have been mentionned in the patch notes. If the damage issue is really there then it's definitely a bug, and you guys should ping one of the devs to acknowledge it

They buried this thread intentionally in the Sorc forum without acknowledging it. 

Why would we reach out for help when we know exactly what it is. Them making the game less fun just because they felt like it.

My entire guild cancelled their subs and deleted the game again. Its clear that's their goal, so we obliged them. 

2 minutes ago, TheVoyant said:

My entire guild cancelled their subs and deleted the game again. Its clear that's their goal, so we obliged them

See you in a few months! 😷 All jokes aside, I can't see why they would F up lightning so badly. It really doesn't make sense to me. Class balancing is quite rare nowadays though, so it's doubtful anything will change soon.

1 hour ago, TheVoyant said:

They buried this thread intentionally in the Sorc forum without acknowledging it. 

Why would we reach out for help when we know exactly what it is. Them making the game less fun just because they felt like it.

My entire guild cancelled their subs and deleted the game again. Its clear that's their goal, so we obliged them. 

Ugh....shades of Update 1.2 all over again.

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, TheVoyant said:

7.4 - 39-40k

7.5 - 19-20k

This is just base damage of Thundering Blast we're talking.

One of the burst class main damage sources was cut in half. 

Not sure whatever you're on about. 

no you're missing one big point: the tooltips were wrong , it showed you the damage TB would do with the crit as base damage, now it's like without the crit how it always was in the game. tested lighting on a dummy, no difference prior patch. nothing was cut in half just the tooltips were fixed

Edited by meddani

18 hours ago, supertimtaf said:

I don't see reports of anyone complaining that TB's damage has been nerfed so probably something on your end.

it wasn't. just a tooltip fix for thundering blast lol

18 minutes ago, meddani said:

it showed you the damage TB would do with the crit as base damage, now it's like without the crit how it always was in the game.

Of course, if you're playing your rotation correctly, thundering blast is always doing a critical hit.

52 minutes ago, meddani said:

it wasn't. just a tooltip fix for thundering blast lol

yeah I saw that too in the end. Stealth fix not in the patch notes
Funny how it showed the crit damage as base. But hey, at least it's more consistent now. They should display the crit damage as well in the tooltip though. "TB will always critically hit for X damage if it hits targets affected by your affliction"
That would solve it 😄

Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, tsteenburg said:

Of course, if you're playing your rotation correctly, thundering blast is always doing a critical hit.

now you have a firm grasp the obvious. if you're playing it without affliction then i don't know what to tell you lol

Edited by meddani

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, supertimtaf said:

yeah I saw that too in the end. Stealth fix not in the patch notes
Funny how it showed the crit damage as base. But hey, at least it's more consistent now. They should display the crit damage as well in the tooltip though. "TB will always critically hit for X damage if it hits targets affected by your affliction"
That would solve it 😄

that bug has been there since,,, the beginning of 7.0? surprised no one caught that lol.

funny how everyone in this thread screams "reeeeee nerf!!!11" :D

Edited by meddani

12 minutes ago, meddani said:

funny how everyone in this thread screams "reeeeee nerf!!!11" :D

Shows a lot about the people playing am I right :p
Sadly I don't play sorc, lightning I've actually never touched since I started the game so that was something that I wouldn't have noticed by myself :( 

7 minutes ago, supertimtaf said:

Shows a lot about the people playing am I right :p
Sadly I don't play sorc, lightning I've actually never touched since I started the game so that was something that I wouldn't have noticed by myself :( 

the amount of sorcs i'Ve seen that play TB without affliction....yep shows a lot lol.

lighting was peak in 3.0 and during all of 6.X , you probably missed all the good times tho

1 minute ago, meddani said:

lighting was peak in 3.0 and during all of 6.X , you probably missed all the good times tho

I remember playing against it in 3.0, and not playing in 6.X so... Yeah. Missed all the fun :(

1 hour ago, meddani said:

no you're missing one big point: the tooltips were wrong , it showed you the damage TB would do with the crit as base damage, now it's like without the crit how it always was in the game. tested lighting on a dummy, no difference prior patch. nothing was cut in half just the tooltips were fixed

Maybe it's time for them to use the "sorc's can heal to full" argument to justify their decision to make the nerf to dps again.