death by dc.

13 minutes ago, Anhkriva said:

Is this even a problem in this game? Our characters are not hardcore, we do not drop equipment upon death, we do not even lose experience.

I'm proud.

17 hours ago, spider-venom said:

we need a failsafe to prevent death by dc -- maybe push us to a safe distance away. I just dced in the middle of a fight... it was humiliating. 

Such a feature would be subject to ... epic ... abuse.

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, spider-venom said:

how?

Fake a DC(1), get out of a fight you messed up the entry to.

(1) This is substantially easy.  Reboot your router(2), or unplug its "WAN" cable/fibre(2), or use Task Manager to kill SWTOR.  Or even Alt+F4.(3)

(2) Both of these are liable to give you a new public IP address, and force a new connection to SWTOR.

(3) It doesn't do the same thing as using the logout button in the system menu.

• Thanks 1

On 5/5/2024 at 5:45 AM, SteveTheCynic said:

Fake a DC(1), get out of a fight you messed up the entry to.

(1) This is substantially easy.  Reboot your router(2), or unplug its "WAN" cable/fibre(2), or use Task Manager to kill SWTOR.  Or even Alt+F4.(3)

(2) Both of these are liable to give you a new public IP address, and force a new connection to SWTOR.

(3) It doesn't do the same thing as using the logout button in the system menu.

seems a little paranoid.  who would bother with that? what would they gain?

5 hours ago, spider-venom said:

They'd gain a second try at the fight without registering a wipe, because on a DC, they'd get reconnected to the previous session, which is still open, where the suggested feature would have moved them somewhere safe before the fight.

• Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

Aside from the aforementioned exploit this opens the door to, what exactly do you deem "A safe distance away"? Because after roughly 14 years, the devs still can't get /stuck command to unstuck you half the time.

This would likely do more harm than good. There are plenty of ops groups for a FP/WB/Ops boss where a single player might DC during the fight, either bad internet or game crashing. Both cases, the player is able to log back in to rejoin the fight if they didn't die. If these players were teleported somewhere "safe" such as Area Start or Medbay, they'd be kicked out of the fight. Most would lose credit too if it was something like a WB. Think of the times you're fighting RX-X8 or Nightmare Pilgrim and you respawn back to Medbay just for the boss to be killed on your way back. It would be like that. If you end up dying while disconnected, the worst possible thing to come from it is you need to pay a little bit of credits to repair your gear.

Edited by Traceguy
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, Traceguy said:

Aside from the aforementioned exploit this opens the door to, what exactly do you deem "A safe distance away"? Because after roughly 14 years, the devs still can't get /stuck command to unstuck you half the time.

What's amazing to me is that the /stuck command even needs to exist.  Maybe instead of making the command work better, they should have made it so that it was never needed.  I know it's too late for that, but still it would have made more sense to me.

54 minutes ago, Exly said:

What's amazing to me is that the /stuck command even needs to exist.  Maybe instead of making the command work better, they should have made it so that it was never needed.  I know it's too late for that, but still it would have made more sense to me.

/stuck exists because, like all(1) other MMORPGs, SWTOR has locations where your character *cannot* extract itself without such a command.

(1) "all" here is a bit strong.  GW2 has locations where you can't get out of them by "in-game" movement, but I haven't ever been completely unable to extract my character.

• Thanks 1

On 5/7/2024 at 1:26 AM, spider-venom said:

People used to add a switch into their connection and switch it on and off in FPS games to create artificial lag back in the CoD Modern Warfare days. Lag switching was and still is an issue in competitive pvp games.

So no, it's not paranoid, people would use this to get out of losing fights by introducing short disconnects on purpose and I doubt it would even take very long to start.

But as someone else mentioned, I've been in plenty of groups where someone DC'd and we 3 manned the rest of the FP boss or 7 manned the rest of an ops boss and won. On a hard pull with 2% left, if somebody DC'd and the fight reset I'd lose my mind. We had an ops boss evade in a DP Vet on Saturday for no reason and we were so close to done it was frustrating.

This feature would 100% make the game worse imo. I can't think of any good reason to be worried about dying from a DC that would prompt this change.

Is there any reason beyond pride you would want this?

18 hours ago, Rohndogg said:

People used to add a switch into their connection and switch it on and off in FPS games to create artificial lag back in the CoD Modern Warfare days. Lag switching was and still is an issue in competitive pvp games.

So no, it's not paranoid, people would use this to get out of losing fights by introducing short disconnects on purpose and I doubt it would even take very long to start.

But as someone else mentioned, I've been in plenty of groups where someone DC'd and we 3 manned the rest of the FP boss or 7 manned the rest of an ops boss and won. On a hard pull with 2% left, if somebody DC'd and the fight reset I'd lose my mind. We had an ops boss evade in a DP Vet on Saturday for no reason and we were so close to done it was frustrating.

This feature would 100% make the game worse imo. I can't think of any good reason to be worried about dying from a DC that would prompt this change.

Is there any reason beyond pride you would want this?

ask a warrior that question. they'll say ''pride is everything''.

Except all is fair in love and war, and this is neither. This is a game, and it would create an unfair exploit. And that I personally don't abide.

In my eyes, this can only be a bad thing