Please remove level requirement for Cartel Market weapon crystals

Talon-X

I'd like to start playing a new character, but I'm the type who likes to have my characters fully outfitted before starting their story. I have said character's outfit all done with armors and a dye bought from the Cartel Market, but I can't insert the crystal into the weapon because for some reason it has a level 10 requirement. Dyes don't have this requirement, why should color crystals have it?

• Like 6

I'd agree, it's kind of a silly requirement, especially given you can buy a Level 80 upgrade for your Character, and now start at Tython, Ord Mantell, Korriban, or Hutta with all your class powers fully unlocked. 

Be nice at least for those who are starting at Level 1, if they could at least have their Color Crystal so they appear as they like.

On 4/24/2024 at 5:15 PM, Talon-X said:

I'd like to start playing a new character, but I'm the type who likes to have my characters fully outfitted before starting their story. I have said character's outfit all done with armors and a dye bought from the Cartel Market, but I can't insert the crystal into the weapon because for some reason it has a level 10 requirement. Dyes don't have this requirement, why should color crystals have it?

Because the story context implies that until some point after you begin, you don't have a "real" weapon, just a worthlerss piece of junk that's worth less than zero.

On 4/24/2024 at 10:15 AM, Talon-X said:

Unlike dyes, Weapon Crystals have stats attached to them:  A +41 stat bonus (or two) is potentially a very significant power boost at single digit levels.

Honestly, these are level character level 50+ items, but the requirement was set to level 10 to get around the 'generally only available from crafters' problem in one simple step.

Even the '+4 endurance' pre-order crystal has a 'level 7' requirement on it.

On 4/27/2024 at 3:46 PM, SteveTheCynic said:

Because the story context implies that until some point after you begin, you don't have a "real" weapon, just a worthlerss piece of junk that's worth less than zero.

On 4/27/2024 at 4:56 PM, Ominovin said:

Unlike dyes, Weapon Crystals have stats attached to them:  A +41 stat bonus (or two) is potentially a very significant power boost at single digit levels.

Honestly, these are level character level 50+ items, but the requirement was set to level 10 to get around the 'generally only available from crafters' problem in one simple step.

Even the '+4 endurance' pre-order crystal has a 'level 7' requirement on it.

I mean y’all aren’t wrong, but my boosted lv 80 BH can run though prologue with 340 gear 🤣

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AFadedMemory said:

I mean y’all aren’t wrong, but my boosted lv 80 BH can run though prologue with 340 gear 🤣

Yea that was my point as well, given that a newly created Character can buy Master's Datacron and be promoted to 80, with a full set of Gear; all abilities unlocked...

Well the old lvl 50 crafted/event/drop crystals most of those were set to lvl 1 in kotet i think it was maybe kotfe. the cartel market 1s were kept at 10 which they were basically level 10 from the start and i think stated a while back they kept those at level 10 because they didnt want people to have +41 crystals at the beginning but you can literally have +41 crystals at the beginning with crafting or whatever. The only justification you could make for it now would be because they dont want you to have cool stuff at the beginning or because you werent really suppose to have a color crystal at the beginning because not having a weapon but you could literally spawn cartel market weapons or legacy weapons at lvl 1 and do crystals anyways.

I will go 1 step further with this the Odessen heroic versions of the old raid gear should also be level 1 as well not level. 

Posted (edited)
On 4/30/2024 at 11:07 PM, Kalnarius said:

i think stated a while back they kept those at level 10 because they didnt want people to have +41 crystals at the beginning but you can literally have +41 crystals at the beginning with crafting or whatever

On 4/27/2024 at 5:56 PM, Ominovin said:

A +41 stat bonus (or two) is potentially a very significant power boost at single digit levels.

For first 10 levels in the prologue, I really doubt it's going to give you a game breaking edge in combat. With that said, from level 1 you open open your mailbox or collections and pull out a Shae Vizla (or any other) DPS companion. That's worth more damage boost than a crystal could ever come close to.

Edited by Traceguy
  • Like 1

On 5/2/2024 at 7:17 AM, Traceguy said:

For first 10 levels in the prologue, I really doubt it's going to give you a game breaking edge in combat. With that said, from level 1 you open open your mailbox or collections and pull out a Shae Vizla (or any other) DPS companion. That's worth more damage boost than a crystal could ever come close to.

^^this, literally.  a tiny stat boost from a crystal (which frankly I'm guessing most people are putting on outfitter and not gear and therefore aren't getting the stat boost anyway) is not going to make any kind of tangible difference and isn't going to break immersion anymore than being able to pull out a comp immediately is (and I do that every single new character).

+100000000 to OP, please please please give us all color crystals at level 1.  for that matter make ALL crystals in the game level 1 (the rakghoul rep black/green one is an even more ridiculously high level requirement).

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cannibithobbal said:

^^this, literally.  a tiny stat boost from a crystal (which frankly I'm guessing most people are putting on outfitter and not gear and therefore aren't getting the stat boost anyway) is not going to make any kind of tangible difference and isn't going to break immersion anymore than being able to pull out a comp immediately is (and I do that every single new character).

+100000000 to OP, please please please give us all color crystals at level 1.  for that matter make ALL crystals in the game level 1 (the rakghoul rep black/green one is an even more ridiculously high level requirement).

• 82 power or crit is insignificant at decent levels:
  • 82 power or crit is probably roughly equivalent to an entire set of green gear at level 10 (which might have 10 mastery on each piece)
  • 82 power or crit is probably HUGE at level 1 where the content is built around the assumption that you have no gear and low stats...

Another way to think of it (using arbitrary numbers):

• When you are doing 1,000 Damage per Second, adding 2 DPS is insignificant.
  • When you are only doing 1 Damage per Second, adding 2 DPS is TRIPLING your damage output.

The lower your level, the more significant that static +82 points becomes...

25 minutes ago, Ominovin said:
  • 82 power or crit is insignificant at decent levels:
  • 82 power or crit is probably roughly equivalent to an entire set of green gear at level 10 (which might have 10 mastery on each piece)
  • 82 power or crit is probably HUGE at level 1 where the content is built around the assumption that you have no gear and low stats...

Another way to think of it (using arbitrary numbers):

• When you are doing 1,000 Damage per Second, adding 2 DPS is insignificant.
  • When you are only doing 1 Damage per Second, adding 2 DPS is TRIPLING your damage output.

I am not smart enough to check or confirm those numbers so I will assume you're right, but quite frankly, even assuming you are, who honestly cares?  why does it matter?  so people can kill level 3-5 enemies a little faster.  you can level all the way to 80 and roll through a starter planet with 340 gear if you want, so why would someone still at level 1 having a slight damage boost actually break a single thing?

and that's assuming you even put these crystals on your gear anyway.  I just want them in OUTFITTER, I don't ever put crystals on my actual gear until I'm level 80 lol

Posted (edited)

Not sure if anyone else said this but there are a few crystals you can get access to prior to level 10

Rakghoul black/green crystals specifically the mastery ones can be used on level 1 characters now the trick for these crystals is their bound when you buy them but you can slot them in weapons that are legacy bound and still store them in the legacy bank then just withdraw the weapon and pull the crystal I normally use the galactic season weapons to store the crystals since most of them are legacy bound weapons

The rakghoul ones you can get on fleet even when the event isnt up theres a vendor in the cartel bazaar where all the event npcs stand by I want to say its the jawa npc

Also there are some PvP vendor crystals with the mastery stats which are allowed to be slotted at level one also I want to say Black-Silver for sure I forget if frogdog gold mastery does but I want to say it does potentially same for the rotworm purple mastery

Granted these crystals might not be the colors folks are looking for but personally for me the Black-Silver crystal is good for every occasion and goes with 99% of my outfits lol for when I roll a new alt

Edited by Luciferior
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Ominovin said:

Granted, that's a very fair comment, yet still what about the +40,000 points a new Character starting at Level 80 with Master's Datacron & Equipment has?

Also Jeevic hasn't ever worried about this and it's been that way for 5+ years...

While many Crystal's he sells  require Level 50 not Level 10, there is one that you can use right away at Level 1... 

...why @cannibithobbal said make all Crystal's Level 1.

"Advanced Black=Green War Hero's Crystal" as @Luciferior stated, and while you can't travel to Fleet early on, you can travel to Stronghold; exit to Fleet, buy the crystal then take the shuttle back to Tython, Korriban, Ord Mantel, Hutta.   And yes he mentioned others at Level 1 with Mastery from PvP Vendor as well. 

:sy_title:

Now the +82 doesn't seem like a big deal given scaling changes several years ago, and Master's Datacron also fully unlocks all your abilities which is a far greater advantage for those on Starting Planets, rather than being limited to 3, or 4 perhaps at the start!  Yet it's goal is to allow New Player's to practice their rotations for a Class they've perhaps never played before as they level.

image.thumb.png.674ad5acd7af9cc0c73a6bfc60a1ec5a.png

Still a vast majority of players just want to setup how their Gear looks... so their character is just right before they start to grow them, as that encourages them to play them more!  It's why most use outfitter to place their favority Store outfit.  

Edited by Strathkin
  • Like 2

I always keep a stash of lv 1 mastery crystals in my legacy bank for when I decide to make another smuggler or bounty hunter on a whim having it all stored in the legacy bank I can port straight to my stronghold after the first cutscene and start withdrawing stuff without even needing to visit fleet 

Its just one of those levels of convenience that is almost too good to pass on understandable that new players who dont have a legacy yet wont be able to take advantage of but like most things it comes with time and is very worth it especially if they want to be altoholics

The "Advanced Black-Green War Hero's Crystal" would have originally been a 'PvP only' stat, so it was fine as a level 1 item since you really can't really PvP at that level.  At some point, they must have changed it to Mastery and neglected to update it's minimum level (I really don't pay close attention to PvP, but I remember the "War Hero" stuff was originally not useful for PvE).

The "Advanced Black-Purple Striated War Hero's Crystal" that veteran players get seems to have a similar issue and can even be added to collections (ironically, even though you get one of these 'no level requirement' crystals in the mail at creation, the box it comes in can't be opened until level 10).

9 hours ago, Ominovin said:

At some point, they must have changed it to Mastery

That point was when they did away with the Expertise stat that the War Hero crystals all had.  5.0, I think.  It was certainly not *earlier* than 5.0, because I remember carefully fidgeting my non-Expertise gear to be exactly iRating 190 to get the best out of the Expertise bolster during the DvL event in 4.X.