Crew Skill App?

Would an app that  let you access/use the crew skill page while away from the computer/game be something you’d subscribe for or make a one time purchase of?

(Not saying it realistic, just wondering if it would be beneficial if it existed)

Edited by AFadedMemory

7 minutes ago, AFadedMemory said:

Would an app that  let you access/use the crew skill page while away from the computer/game be something you’d subscribe for or make a one time purchase of?

(Not saying it realistic, just wondering if it would be beneficial if it existed)

Would be nice, something like FFXIV but SWTORs own security key is out of date with a lot of newish phones, I doubt they will put in the effort for a crew skill app.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Darkestmonty said:

Would be nice, something like FFXIV but SWTORs own security key is out of date with a lot of newish phones, I doubt they will put in the effort for a crew skill app.

I agree the effort required is mostly more then they can or will give.

Edited by AFadedMemory

to add to this, I would love to access my character information, like how much money they have on them, mission status, what gear they have equipped, play around with outfits, etc.

With enough work it could be an app I would pay an additional 5 dollars a month to access.

All this would save me logging on and rotating my characters until I figure out who is wearing my 1 tactical I forgot to swap out.

16 hours ago, AFadedMemory said:

I'd pay at least a bit of money to *prevent* the studio from building such an app.  That might sound a bit extreme, but the effect of the app on the P2P economy would be ... distressing.

I think an app would just make it easier for botters. They don't have the staff to prevent that if they created an app.

I'd rather they add something like the WoW armory to the site, but make it opt-in so players can choose if they want their characters public.

None of this matters though. They will never have the budget or the staff to do any of these things.

I'd appreciate the app, but I understand the argument with regard to the economy/bots. However, a compromise might be either to allow queueing more than 5 crafting and/or allowing at least 2 or 3 mission queues. Or maybe even allowing combined queues with a max number of entries.

2 hours ago, tsteenburg said:

I'd appreciate the app, but I understand the argument with regard to the economy/bots. However, a compromise might be either to allow queueing more than 5 crafting and/or allowing at least 2 or 3 mission queues. Or maybe even allowing combined queues with a max number of entries.

you could cap it so you can only send companions out on x missions per day (8-16 per day), though I don't think that would be necessary.

I would expect that you would still need to log into the character to collect the gathered components, so you would still be limited to 8 missions per login of each character.

On 4/13/2024 at 7:44 AM, SteveTheCynic said:

I'd pay at least a bit of money to *prevent* the studio from building such an app.  That might sound a bit extreme, but the effect of the app on the P2P economy would be ... distressing.

I've said it before, I don't give a damn about the player to player economy, sure crafting materials will be plentiful / not sell for a high price. crafted items will be a somewhat lower cost. but is that a bad thing ?

though the most in-demand crafted items (augments) still require TechFrags for components, which means players playing the game.

On 4/12/2024 at 5:03 PM, AFadedMemory said:

Was asked for many years ago. Sadly, unless they revamped crafting, it would be another waste of dev resources better spent making playable content. 

On 4/13/2024 at 5:40 AM, akdonkey said:

This would be a great option for us especially if we could cycle through any alt. Or even and Auto mode allowing companions to run many missions while offline.

They can’t or won’t even give us the option to sort our character alts on the character login screen.

Been asking for nearly 8 years for that QOL improvement. 

They’d probably need to implement that first of the app/database/servers would crash all the time. 

3 hours ago, tsteenburg said:

You’re worried about botting on an app when it’s actually easy to bot as it already is 🤦‍♀️. There have been people doing this for years. (FYI, not advocating it because it’s against the TOS. DO NOT BOT).

Because if the app worked the same way as it does in game at the moment, you’d only be able to look at one character at a time to queue up companion missions. Literally no different to how it is now. Except you could lay in bed & do it instead of booting up your PC.

People can literally bot that stuff on their PC right now if they want to (and they’d obviously break the TOS, so don’t do it).

Adding it to an app on your phone would actually make the botting part harder on a handheld device. It would be next to impossible on iOS devices that aren’t already cracked. 

People using Android would have a slightly easier time. But honestly, most would still use their PC to do it. But instead of logging into the PC client, they’d run an android app emulator to do it. Which would defeat the whole purpose of making a portable app. 

Edited by TrixxieTriss
  • Like 1