Open-discussion about reintroducing/restructure the Dread Master storyline plot back in relevancy.

Good day to all.

Today, I like to open the discussion about the prospect of "reintroducing" the storyline of the Dread Masters back into the relevancy of SWTOR's game narrative. Currently, it seems that this plotline is somewhat overlooked, which is a shame considering its significance in the game's storytelling but nowadays it feels somewhat of after thought, with newer players often encountering it in a more incidental manner rather than as a central focus. This lead to results to players being thrusted into Oricon for the final operation without fully exploring the depth of the Dread Masters' story. It would be lovely to address this overlook nuance of the game back in the proper fold and shin some proper spotlight for it.

Perhaps we can get a better use out of this content for everyone both new/old players and it would a lot less confusing to navigate specifically for new players which may not know the proper order of the chain of quests, operations and that damned level four heroic. Curse that self-healing sith experiment with its bs ability.

So, here I am to open a conversation about how to go with this as I don't have any good particular ideas about it and as such as I turn to forum maybe someone cooks something up or one of the devs at least see this and give it some food for thought about it.

Also If I may complain about that sith experiment once again like a sore loser, I wish they did remove that blasted self-healing ability cuz I can't solo that boss lmao.

I'm not sure I am following you here. All of the original classes heard about the Dread Masters in their original storyline (even my Smuggler, who was just bemused by the whole thing and completely stunned that she could wipe out a team of Sith Lords with her trusty sniper rifle).

I love the whole Dread Masters thing on my force toons (both imp and pub), but they are kind of stupid for non-force users (who, let's face it, they could take out with one chokehold). But this just gets to the problem of abandoning class stories after Chapter 3. There is no way to make the Dread Lords more meaningful to non-force users, so they won't even try.

Frankly, I'm surprised they went with that whole Mandalorian storyline (that is STILL dragging out even now, yawn). It's great for non-force users, but seriously, what mando is going to triumph over Sith or Jedi? It's just dumb.

• Like 1

On 4/2/2024 at 1:43 AM, LightDarkBandit said:

Good day to all.

Today, I like to open the discussion about the prospect of "reintroducing" the storyline of the Dread Masters back into the relevancy of SWTOR's game narrative. Currently, it seems that this plotline is somewhat overlooked, which is a shame considering its significance in the game's storytelling but nowadays it feels somewhat of after thought, with newer players often encountering it in a more incidental manner rather than as a central focus. This lead to results to players being thrusted into Oricon for the final operation without fully exploring the depth of the Dread Masters' story. It would be lovely to address this overlook nuance of the game back in the proper fold and shin some proper spotlight for it.

Perhaps we can get a better use out of this content for everyone both new/old players and it would a lot less confusing to navigate specifically for new players which may not know the proper order of the chain of quests, operations and that damned level four heroic. Curse that self-healing sith experiment with its bs ability.

So, here I am to open a conversation about how to go with this as I don't have any good particular ideas about it and as such as I turn to forum maybe someone cooks something up or one of the devs at least see this and give it some food for thought about it.

Also If I may complain about that sith experiment once again like a sore loser, I wish they did remove that blasted self-healing ability cuz I can't solo that boss lmao.

The most they could do is add some sort of cutscene that summarizes the major events. For example, when starting the Oricon story, a modal pop-up could ask the player if they want to see the cutscene summary.

I think the ideal solution would be solo operations, but the companion AI is so bad, they can't handle any complex mechanics. They would have to create new scripted encounters for all the bosses similar to what they did with Revan. It's just a big undertaking when they already have a hard time making new content every 6 months. They just don't have time to rework old content.

3 hours ago, SteveTheCynic said:

I thought it was in the <Planetary Arc> stories for Belsavis. 

And I think it's only Empire side that deals with them. Republic side has to deal with an "ancient god" on Belsavis. Republic characters don't know about the Dread Masters until operations or daily areas.

7 hours ago, ThanderSnB said:

And I think it's only Empire side that deals with them. Republic side has to deal with an "ancient god" on Belsavis. Republic characters don't know about the Dread Masters until operations or daily areas.

This is not true, pubs learn about the Dread Masters via the original storyline. Non-force users don't care, but they learn about it.

48 minutes ago, TahliahCOH said:

This is not true, pubs learn about the Dread Masters via the original storyline. Non-force users don't care, but they learn about it.

Maybe you are thinking of the Section X daily area? That's on Belsavis but it happens later in the story chronologically, after Ilum and Black Hole.

Otherwise, can you describe the original Belsavis story for Republic players and where or how they see the Dread Masters?

16 minutes ago, ThanderSnB said:

Otherwise, can you describe the original Belsavis story for Republic players and where or how they see the Dread Masters?

Not specifically, since I long ago just spaced through all the story stuff, but  I can assure that my smuggleer wrrangled with the Dread Masters during the main story line. We had o release them or something in the main story.

39 minutes ago, TahliahCOH said:

Not specifically, since I long ago just spaced through all the story stuff, but  I can assure that my smuggleer wrrangled with the Dread Masters during the main story line. We had o release them or something in the main story.

Imperial characters free the Dread Masters from Belsavis prison. Maybe you had the smuggler combat style in some imperial origin story?

13 hours ago, TahliahCOH said:

Belsavis is part of the original storyline, as you know 😛

Yes, I know, but the <Planetary Arc> stories run in parallel to the main storyline, and (perhaps more importantly) aren't a continuous storyline from DK/Coru to Corellia.

The biggest problem of getting the whole of the Dread Master story line is: YOU HAVE TO BE LV80 TO BE ABLE TO DO OPERATIONS.

There is no way for a new player to experience the whole story organically. You'll miss the majority of the story by being under-level.

You get hint of Karagga being manipulated by the DM from KP, you see the first hint of the DM's direct involvement from EC, the Gree people asking help to deal with the DM's invasion from TFB, the hunt of Styrak from SnV. That's a whole story arc in and out the operations with cutscenes and all BEFORE the conclusion on Oricon.

Now, I now it's impossible to downscale the classic operations to their original level (50?), but I hope they make the story interaction of the classic operations NOT a one time per character thing but a repeatable interaction OUTSIDE of operation phase because:

1. I didn't know they were one time per character and I messed up the recording on my main characters. Pretty sure a lot of people don't know you can only get the dialogue one time.

2. A lot of the cutscene need to be initiated by talking to a NPC in the operation phase, meaning most people do it with an operation group, meaning most people don't have the time to try out different dialogue options because 7 other people are waiting for you. Not everyone has a friend in game who is willing to group with you just so that you can RP.

By removing those restriction, AT LEAST people can freely experience the full story, even 50 levels too late.

On 4/4/2024 at 4:09 AM, Anhkriva said:

Imperial characters free the Dread Masters from Belsavis prison. Maybe you had the smuggler combat style in some imperial origin story?

No, it was kind of part of the whole Belsalvis thing for my smuggler. She had to stop them being released, I think. (Honestly, who actually goes through all the dalogue for the twentieth time? Heh). But yeah, all classes learn about the Dread Masters.

Smuggler story focuses on getting to Ivory, the mentor of Rogun the Butcher. I don't remember anything coming up about the Dread Masters in any of the Pubside quests until you do Section X... and I've only done Pubside once and then said a giant "nope" to one of the dailies so I can't finish Section X dailies on Pubside (the one that goes inside the big vault?). Haven't even done Section X at all on Star Forge, just ran it a bazillion times Impside on Harbinger --> Satele Shan. So I'm maxed out on rep there. I'm rambling at this point but I've also got a freaking migraine for the third day now. >.<

8 hours ago, TahliahCOH said:

No, it was kind of part of the whole Belsalvis thing for my smuggler. She had to stop them being released, I think. (Honestly, who actually goes through all the dalogue for the twentieth time? Heh). But yeah, all classes learn about the Dread Masters.

That's the empire side. Republic has nothing to do with dread masters until post Ilum.

Anyway, they just need to b i t e the b u l l e t and make them soloable (GFTM too).

5 hours ago, BroBroNelly said:

That's the empire side. Republic has nothing to do with dread masters until post Ilum.

Anyway, they just need to b i t e the b u l l e t and make them soloable (GFTM too).

or you can take your own advice there and play the multiplayer content in the multiplayer game in a multiplayer group

• Confused 1