The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Most inaccessible gamemode ive ever seen in any mmorpg.

On 3/28/2024 at 11:18 AM, Wulfurkin said:

As good a suggestion that is there is only so much one can learn from observing others, also i havent seen that many people actively q or ask to group up for it in general or pvp chat. I just wish there was something comparable to dummy parsing i could do before playing this game.  In every single class i used in regular pvp (which at this point is almost all of them) i first spent several days practicing on a warzone dummy and taking it into easy pve content to get a feel for it, i cant do such preparations for this gamemode.

We used to host this GSF tutorial event on semi regular basis maybe half a dozen times some years back. Custom match mode lends itself pretty well for that. Ofc, it takes some amount of initiative and effort though, to end up in such situation. From people learning and from people teaching alike. Maybe find somebody familiar with GSF, ask them to show you the ropes and get 2 more friends and head for custom mode for few hours?   The previously mentioned GSF school youtube channel plus hour or two of..quality time in GSF custom map  mode would go a long way. In custom battle mode, all  involved  can completely ignore mission objectives and such at peace and focus on free flight and figuring things out. Have somebody who knows GSF fly a straight line on a bomber while you take potshots and figure things out. It can be very useful. Specially if you  are in discord with the person showing the ropes.

In-game GSF tutorial is horrible and truly doesn't teach you anything, which is very unfortunate.

Edited by Stradlin

On 4/15/2024 at 11:35 AM, Stradlin said:

We used to host this GSF tutorial event on semi regular basis maybe half a dozen times some years back. Custom match mode lends itself pretty well for that. Ofc, it takes some amount of initiative and effort though, to end up in such situation. From people learning and from people teaching alike. Maybe find somebody familiar with GSF, ask them to show you the ropes and get 2 more friends and head for custom mode for few hours?   The previously mentioned GSF school youtube channel plus hour or two of..quality time in GSF custom map  mode would go a long way. In custom battle mode, all  involved  can completely ignore mission objectives and such at peace and focus on free flight and figuring things out. Have somebody who knows GSF fly a straight line on a bomber while you take potshots and figure things out. It can be very useful. Specially if you  are in discord with the person showing the ropes.

In-game GSF tutorial is horrible and truly doesn't teach you anything, which is very unfortunate.

This is exactly what ive done a few times, still didnt teach me much sadly. I know from myself i learn better at my own pace, the game has no way to really let me do that. Im also struggling with being kicked by this bot for not contributing, i have no idea what this even means. I do know this further reduces the amount of playtime i can get in, since being removed from the match like this seems to add an increasing lockout timer. It also makes the match not count towards anything and leaves me without any rewards for my efforts. Seems ill just have to avoid gsf, a bit of a shame since i was genuinely interested in it.

38 minutes ago, Wulfurkin said:

This is exactly what ive done a few times, still didnt teach me much sadly. I know from myself i learn better at my own pace, the game has no way to really let me do that. Im also struggling with being kicked by this bot for not contributing, i have no idea what this even means. I do know this further reduces the amount of playtime i can get in, since being removed from the match like this seems to add an increasing lockout timer. It also makes the match not count towards anything and leaves me without any rewards for my efforts. Seems ill just have to avoid gsf, a bit of a shame since i was genuinely interested in it.

If you ever wanna give the custom map mode another try, don't mind a Finnish accent  and play around EU peak, drop me a PM 

7 hours ago, Wulfurkin said:

the Noncontributing thing is a mechanism put into play by the devs to counter people who were basically just going afk in matches. either coasting along hands free until they were killed then respawing and doing it again aka not contributing to a match at all 

they increased the timer on it making it so you have to be active in a match doing damage defending an objective or contesting one.  If youre having trouble with the afk timer you need to be more aggressive with your positioning in Team Death Matches get into the thick of the fighting, find a teammate and stick with them shooting anything that comes in range

in a domination match get to a sat youre team controls which would be green on your UI display get there and hug it tight. thats the best bet to contribute till you feel more comfortable dog fighting and get more experience

Keep flying in GSF its a lot of fun but with an admittedly steep learning curve, Type /cjoin gsf to join the gsf channel on all your characters and ask questions in it most of us vets are in there and we actively try to help people

hope to see you in the skies 

5 hours ago, catsi said:

the Noncontributing thing is a mechanism put into play by the devs to counter people who were basically just going afk in matches. either coasting along hands free until they were killed then respawing and doing it again aka not contributing to a match at all 

they increased the timer on it making it so you have to be active in a match doing damage defending an objective or contesting one.  If youre having trouble with the afk timer you need to be more aggressive with your positioning in Team Death Matches get into the thick of the fighting, find a teammate and stick with them shooting anything that comes in range

in a domination match get to a sat youre team controls which would be green on your UI display get there and hug it tight. thats the best bet to contribute till you feel more comfortable dog fighting and get more experience

Keep flying in GSF its a lot of fun but with an admittedly steep learning curve, Type /cjoin gsf to join the gsf channel on all your characters and ask questions in it most of us vets are in there and we actively try to help people

I wasnt afking,  i was flying around trying to figure out what it is im supposed to do and where im supposed to go since the game quite literally doesnt tell you anything. I have serious doubts if gsf is worth my time but you all seem genuinely decent unlike a lot of regular pvpers so i can at least give this ingame channel a try. Thanks for all the feedback 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, catsi said:

Since when does competing for a satellite count as contributing? Did they make any stealth changes to GSF today that I don't know about?

• Like 1

You contribute, by doing damage to an enemy player or objective like a node turret.

If your on a node already green, all you have to do is sit on it.  While sitting, one hopes you defend it as well instead of running away when the enemy comes.  All you have to do to keep the node green, is move around the turret.  Let the enemy chase you around the merry go round.  Yeah, sometimes you die doing that, but if you arent up to doing much damage, shooting like 5 percent, having them chase you is the best option til your shooting improves.

In a TDM, all you have to do is damage to an enemy player.  One tap of your laser.  Every few minutes.  Yeah, I have gotten non contributing before just by being chased alot, and i couldnt turn around to tap someone with lasers.  So, while running, if I get that message, Ill shoot someone as I pass by them.  If im not already dead from the chase.

Easiest contributing for a match is to be on a green node and defending.  You dont have to do anything else.  You dont have to shoot and do damage.  Just being on the green node is a good thing.  That is, if you have a green node, lol.  I see its hard and get three capped a lot more these days.

• Like 2