The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

The Acolyte

On 6/21/2024 at 4:44 PM, Shayddow said:

Basically I'm waiting for the Sith reveal in how I will judge it.  In this era, it should be either Plageuis or his Bith predecessor (I don't care what Disney "canon" says, my canon goes by the books.

And yet GL never cared about the books... George Lucas did not consider the Star Wars Expanded Universe canon: "I haven't read any of the novels. I don't know anything about that world" (msn.com)

I thought Episode 5 was certainly the best in terms of action and many of the fight scenes were choreographed well.

Like @TonyTricicolo, I was not surprised in the slightest by the spoiler about the Sith since the show telegraphed / foreshadowed that from a galaxy far, far away, particularly b/c there were so few choices. 

On a different note: I will say, I was surprised by a couple of the deaths (and, no, I won't spoil them other than to say they were a bit shocking).

I'm going to be more generous than Tony and give it 7/10 b/c of the decent action sequences and finally moving the plot along (well, a bit). I still find the motivations b/t the Twins interaction a bit perplexing.

:csw_jabba:

Dasty

• Like 1

Yeah, part five was okay, wasn't surprised with the reveal in the slightest, the story leaves very little to the imagination, so it was  obvious who it would be. So far though, easily the best episode of the series. At least one of the force users didn't die to a dagger. lol Have to get the 14% audience score higher, this season can't end lower than the '78 SW Holiday Special or Disney will never live it down. lol Need a strong rally for the remainder of the season.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Pirana said:

Yeah, part five was okay, wasn't surprised with the reveal in the slightest, the story leaves very little to the imagination, so it was  obvious who it would be. So far though, easily the best episode of the series. At least one of the force users didn't die to a dagger. lol Have to get the 14% audience score higher, this season can't end lower than the '78 SW Holiday Special or Disney will never live it down. lol Need a strong rally for the remainder of the season.

Funny I watched that Holiday special recently. Still won't watch this show however. 

• Haha 1

The show is okay so far. I like Jecki and Master Sol the best. Episode 5 was probably the best one. I think we were all waiting for a decent lightsaber fight.

There are some areas I do take point with:

Spoiler

Darth Maul gets literally cut in half and lives yet in this show a jedi is killed by a throwing knife. I suppose it hit her straight in the heart but being cut in half as well should have killed Maul too. Also why was Master Indara just sitting there while this girl beat up everyone in the bar. I don't know, I had episode 4 flashbacks with Obi-wan and thought how swiftly this old man intervened. Though I imagine you could argue that he was protecting Luke. 

I wasn't very fond of the Jedi suicide. Nor did I understand why a Jedi would have stayed in a meditative state for so long. Do they not have counseling in a galaxy far far away?

Why was Kelnacca living in some forest planet alone? Maybe this will be explained.

I am also curious how they are going to explain Ki Adi Mundi's claim that the Sith have been extinct for nearly a millennium. 

I wonder if or how they are going to explain the force regarding the twins creation and if it had anything to do with the prophecy of the chosen one.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
Spoiler

"Darth Maul gets literally cut in half and lives yet in this show a jedi is killed by a throwing knife. I suppose it hit her straight in the heart but being cut in half as well should have killed Maul too"

Dave Filloni said Darth Maul survived due to his shear amount of hate for Kenobi. Apparently the dark side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural. LOL. 

Maybe because Jedi don't have any hate? I dunno anymore. In general, they(Disney/Lucasfilm) aren't consistent with surviving lightsaber stabs. Darth Maul can but Qui Gon can't?

Grand Inquistor and Reva(Sith?/Dark force user) both survive two gut pokes.

Sabine(simple force sensitive) sleeps off a poke to the gut too. 

Obi Wan and Finn(Jedi?/Light force user) both survive slashes across the back.

Anakin(Sith) gets all his limbs chopped off then lies in molten lava until he is rescued. 

Now out of the list, I feel Anakin is the only one that justifies surviving through shear hate.

All the others don't make sense.

Edited by TonyTricicolo
  • Like 1

Another high quality episode with part six. I particularly got a chuckle when 50 Shades was intertwined with this show where she stalks the guy, then watches him as he's swimming, then the nude guy walks out of the water and she catches a glimpse of his junk. What the hell is going on with Star Wars... This stuff is beyond ludicrous. lol This is what happens when you get a personal assistant to Weinstein to be in charge of a show. 

This train wreck is too good to turn away from at this point, this is pure gold. lol

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, TonyTricicolo said:

"That's Gold, Jerry. Gold!"

All things considered, the pacing, with a few little "huh?" moments was actually pretty decent. I certainly didn't dislike the episode. I'd give it a solid 7.

You got my very obscure reference, or at least elaborated on it. That Bania quote is still funny all these years later. Only a true Seinfeld fan would know that quote. lol

The episode was decent, I won't rate it, just baffled on what they're trying to accomplish half the time with this show. The sexual tension between those two actors, they nailed it, give those actors credit. I kept expecting him to grab her and go old school Showtime B-movie pron with her. lol 

With as many projects Disney has canceled, they won't hesitate to pull the plug on this show unless there's some miraculous turnaround. In other words, no season two. I'll always root for Star Wars, it's Star Wars, I just wish they would get better writers. 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

It's like a junior high school production where no one is on cue and timing is always off step. There are often awkward pauses by Jedi Master Sol. I don't know if it's a language barrier with English not being his native but I notice his delivery is very "Japanesey" where he speaks with exaggeration to stress emotion. It's very campy. 

Edited by TonyTricicolo

On 7/3/2024 at 6:25 PM, TonyTricicolo said:

It's like a junior high school production where no one is on cue and timing is always off step. There are often awkward pauses by Jedi Master Sol. I don't know if it's a language barrier with English not being his native but I notice his delivery is very "Japanesey" where he speaks with exaggeration to stress emotion. It's very campy. 

The Actor is Korean and his native language is tonal but I'd hesitate to use the word campy here. He is renown for amazing performances in several languages and a consistent criticism of the show, is its dialogue. I'm more than willing to bet the words are to blame and not the delivery. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JakRoanin said:

The Actor is Korean and his native language is tonal but I'd hesitate to use the word campy here. He is renown for amazing performances in several languages and a consistent criticism of the show, is its dialogue. I'm more than willing to bet the words are to blame and not the delivery. 

Fair enough. I guess he is doing the best he can given what he got.

21 hours ago, JakRoanin said:

My takeaway from this show is this actor, I had no idea who he was until now. Then doing a quick research on him, he's done quite a bit. This show is a speedbump in what already is and will continue to be a very good career. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Lee Jung Jae did a great job with that trash script he was given. I have to say I am impressed with the guy. Can you imagine being a foreign actor and getting a major role in a Star Wars movie with Disney? I can't blame him for jumping at this chance.  There are so many of these Asian actors who would have loved this opportunity. I certainly don't fault him for accepting this role. The You Tubers keep calling him Master Squid Games. It's funny actually and I went back and watched Squid Games and kept referring to him as Master Sol. 🤣

He learned English specifically for this role and I think he did great with what he was given in terms of script. Episode 8 though...that was tragic. I really can't stand the bald green jedi woman. 

To be honest, I can't figure out how Yoda could not have sensed all these people dying given how he is supposedly the strongest force user. 

Also I just want to add episode 7 was a complete waste of an episode, in my opinion. Torbin is such a lame Jedi.

Also, Osha doesn't show a good angry, falling to the dark side face.  She has the same facial expressions all the time. Very wooden acting. 

What did you all think of the two surprise cameos in 8?

Edited by Swingkittie

4 hours ago, Swingkittie said:

What did you all think of the two surprise cameos in 8?

Dangling keys

This show was made for one reason... and one reason only.  To not only deconstruct the Jedi... but make them the bad guys.  Name one that acted honorably?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I love the Jedi, but nobody can say as an organization that it was flawless. The Maker himself deconstructed the Jedi in the Prequel Trilogy, if you think GL ever, intended the Jedi to be a flawless and perfect organization from the OG Trilogy and the Prequels then a rewatch might be an order. Heck he literally destroyed the credibility of the Order in HIS Clone Wars animated Series. The Acolyte only showed the Catalyst to the final stage.

Not much to say about this one after finishing it, it sure is a show. The environments and choreography are definitely the best things that came out of this show. I'd dare say the lightsaber fights, especially the one in episode 5, could rival the prequels. The rest of it really does fall flat though, with the incoherent plot, wooden or insufferable acting, awful dialogue and characters that seem to flip motivations on the fly for the convenience of the plot.

I mostly watched it as a curiosity, and since I have long stopped caring about the direction of Disney Star Wars, it was more easier to enjoy it, not having to pay attention to its plot holes and lore inconsistencies. It's like getting tickets to a B-movie, expecting it to be a B-movie and just having a time of your life, y'know?

On the other hand the one thing that seems to follow it and Disney Star Wars at large everywhere, is the more and more prevailing opinion that "woke" seems to be killing Star Wars. Particularly just by browsing Twitter or sitting too long on the fleet chat (the Imperial one, especially) it's far too common for conversations regarding Disney Star Wars to derail from legitimate criticisms to blatant homophobia and transphobia.

And aside from people obviously being awful to each other for no other reason than someone else being different, Disney has a huge hand in it as well, by giving the reins to people like Kathleen Kennedy and Lesley Headland. It seems Headland's biggest motivation is "I'm a gay woman in charge and if you don't like my show then you're not a fan, you're a bigot", which is this exact kind of zealotry that throws more coal to the fire of feminist and LGBTQ+ issues (and of any other minority at large). Disney is making a better smear campaign than any right-wing group could dream of!

Having to watch this as someone in the LGBT community is really freaking depressing.

4/10 - better than Obi-Wan at least

• Thanks 1