hacking or wierd bugs in starfighter?

Hefaiston

has anyone experienced other players removing lock on without using engine abilities or that when you try to use engine abilities yourself then the engine meter gets lower but the game refuses to use the ability. am curious if its a bug or if there is something fishy going on

38 minutes ago, Hefaiston said:

has anyone experienced other players removing lock on without using engine abilities or that when you try to use engine abilities yourself then the engine meter gets lower but the game refuses to use the ability. am curious if its a bug or if there is something fishy going on

Engine abilities are not the only ones that can remove lock-on, shield and system abilities can also do this with certain upgrades, not to mention range control and cover.

There are abilities that prevent the opponent from using engine or shield abilities.

Wed have to see a screenshot to determine exactly what may have happened but speculation could have been you ran low on engine power which is one of the essential skills of GSF to master. Also you might have been hit with an engine interdiction ability they drain a foes engine power , Ion splash and slicing will both do so as well

5 hours ago, Hefaiston said:

if an enemy blackbolt, or Novadive uses emp field it will also have a missile break option. Two of the Gunships and all 3 Scouts also have an option to take Distortion field, which has a Tier 3 option to break missile locks as they are locking on. (not after a missile is launched). As for your engine bar getting lower

there are 3 things that I can think of that will reduce your engine pool.

1)If a player is flying a Mangler/Quarrel, and is using Ion Railgun, that will reduce reduce your engines if they hit you with it.

2) If a player is on a Starguard/Rycer and is using Ion Cannons, they can spec into reducing your engine pool every hit.

3) If an Imperium/Clarion is using Slicing it could reduce your engine pool.

If any of these 3 things are used on you, and your engine pool gets to the point of being to little engine pool to use your engine break it will not be able to go off.

Everything you listed can be explained by ingame mechanics of GSF. Possible you got hit with one of these engine reducers, and it put you with to few engine pool to use your break.

Edited by Toraak

You forgot:

4) Lockdown crew skill.  Drains 40 engine power, range 5 km, base CD 45 sec but possibly affected by Alacrity equipment on character.  Hangar UI implies it is, but hangar UI is not always entirely trustworthy.   Alacrity probably shouldn't affect GSF, but it's always possible that it slipped through (obviously it did in the UI, but not sure about actual matches).

Note, given the scale of max alacrity gains, not sure an absurd alacrity gear set for about a 5 sec cooldown on Lockdown would be really worth it in any case.

10 hours ago, Hefaiston said:

What engine ability and what upgrade level?    Upgraded Power Dive for example should be free, and unless there's a lockout affecting you from Slicing or EMP should always work regardless of engine pool.   Barrel Roll with no upgrades on the other hand is pretty power hungry, and it's easy even for an experienced player to get a bit low on engine pool try to Barrel Roll and then be unpleasantly surprised when it doesn't work.

Though personally my favorite Barrel Roll error is forgetting that the Pike despite being shaped much like a Starguard does not have Retro Boosters and being very surprised when hitting the missile break catapults me forward into terrrain instead of catapulting me backward into terrain.

Oh, BTW @Hefaiston,  popping in here to ask questions and find out what's going on in a GSF match instead of automatically assuming it's hacks already puts you way ahead of a lot of GSF players.   Keep learning and pretty quickly you should be a terror in the skies of SWTOR.

Edited by Ramalina

42 minutes ago, Ramalina said:

You forgot:

4) Lockdown crew skill.  Drains 40 engine power, range 5 km, base CD 45 sec but possibly affected by Alacrity equipment on character.  Hangar UI implies it is, but hangar UI is not always entirely trustworthy.   Alacrity probably shouldn't affect GSF, but it's always possible that it slipped through (obviously it did in the UI, but not sure about actual matches).

Note, given the scale of max alacrity gains, not sure an absurd alacrity gear set for about a 5 sec cooldown on Lockdown would be really worth it in any case.

Show's you how much I've used Lockdown over the years lol. I did forget about that.

On 2/29/2024 at 9:30 PM, Ramalina said:

You forgot:

I never thought to test alacrity on my character affecting GSF skills.

On 3/1/2024 at 11:13 PM, Darkestmonty said:

I never thought to test alacrity on my character affecting GSF skills.

My suspicion is that it's an artifact of the start of the GSF development process basically consisting of opening the Warzone code and going Ctrl-C, opening a new file, and hitting Ctrl-V.  I'm pretty sure that at some point there was supposed to have been a housecleaning of legacy PvP code effects on GSF, but it's easy to miss stuff. 

Haven't tested recently, but in the past certain DoT damage effects on a character would transfer to your ship if you accepted the match before the DoT was cleansed or expired.   I once died very quickly in a match because I was doing the Pub side Heroic on Balmorra where you collect droid intel in the toxic sludge, and the DoT from the sludge kept ticking on my ship when I spawned in.   It's not much on a character, but on a ship hull it's pretty rapidly fatal due to the small health pools.

Honestly, our characters should probably all get wireless controllers, don spacesuits, and get out in front of the ships to intercept incoming damage.   After all, if you and your spacesuit can soak up a few hundred thousand points of damage, why aren't you protecting the ship with it's paltry 2.5 to 4 k combined health pool instead of hiding behind the ship's shields?   Spec as a tank, grab ten medpacs, slap Guard on your ship, and get out in front of it with a jetpack, and there you have it: an invincible* GSF ship safely hiding behind its pilot.

*Offer not valid if your ship gets within 0 to 35 meters of another pilot and is one-shot by their class basic attack.

• Haha 3