Lag in PVP

VegaMist

For me, lag usually averages 80-85 fps (I'm in CA). Not the worst, considering some numbers players posted before, but not optimal either. In PVP specifically, I frequently see players running in place, and sometimes trying to hit someone (specifically, stopping the cap) won't take effect until it's too late which happens more frequently since migration to the cloud (and even more so in the last couple of weeks). Run PingPlotter, and below are the results I've got. Would like to hear other experiences as well.

Looking at your results, it looks like a lot of those spikes are happening from your first hop after your router.

But I can’t see what numbers they are actually spiking to because you haven’t added a “max” column. 

If I remember correctly, go into your edit menu & you can add a max column & you can also add others & more details if you choose. 

If it is happening from the first hop, it’s not the server or “not only” the server causing you issues. It’s your ISP with the problem. Try talking to them & see if they can reroute you differently. If they can’t, you might consider looking for a new ISP or you can try a gaming VPN. I’ve personally used WTFast with a lot of success from Australia to the US & EU servers. 

Edited by TrixxieTriss

Found Max and few other options under right-click any column name (shows the whole list), checked everything available. Comcast doesn't normally make adjustments for individual users even though I'm paying for one of their higher-end packages.

1 hour ago, TrixxieTriss said:

If it is happening from the first hop, it’s not the server or “not only” the server causing you issues. It’s your ISP with the problem. Try talking to them & see if they can reroute you differently. If they can’t, you might consider looking for a new ISP or you can try a gaming VPN. I’ve personally used WTFast with a lot of success from Australia to the US & EU servers. 

I just called them and they actually scheduled a technician for me (in a few days) - will see what happens.

4 hours ago, VegaMist said:

Found Max and few other options under right-click any column name (shows the whole list), checked everything available. Comcast doesn't normally make adjustments for individual users even though I'm paying for one of their higher-end packages.

PingPlotter-SWTOR-2024-02-04_17-53-46.png

It would seem hop 6 is where you’re getting the biggest ping spikes. 

Technician came and went. As expected, he couldn't address the ping since he had no access to any of their servers. Tried ExpressVPN - if anything, it made it worse (fluctuations between same, worse, and way worse). Removed VPN. Wonder if I should try a different VPN... Maybe, but not tonight.

16 hours ago, VegaMist said:

Technician came and went. As expected, he couldn't address the ping since he had no access to any of their servers. Tried ExpressVPN - if anything, it made it worse (fluctuations between same, worse, and way worse). Removed VPN. Wonder if I should try a different VPN... Maybe, but not tonight.

Seriously, try WTFast on a trial run & see if you can get it to improve. Make sure you set up 2 WTFast jump points. The first as close to your house as possible & the second as close to the server local. This will take you off the Comcast routing as close to your home as possible. The only issue is if the ping spikes are happening before you enter the WTFast network. Sadly, that’s a Comcast issue with they hardware. 

From what I can tell, the AWS server swtor is using is still located in Virginia. I’ve found the 2 best points closest to the server are Atlanta 5 or Atlanta 2 or sometime Atlanta 4. 

You’ll be able to tell which one if you search by ping. The lowest ping is usually the best, but not always. Sometime I sacrifice lower ping for better stability. 

Honestly, I don’t know why BS still haven’t moved at least one of the US servers to a different AWS location closer to the west cost or at least central US. I’m pretty sure it doesn’t cost them any more to be geolocated on a different US based AWS server. 

Edited by TrixxieTriss

On 2/8/2024 at 2:07 PM, TrixxieTriss said:

Seriously, try WTFast on a trial run & see if you can get it to improve. Make sure you set up 2 WTFast jump points. The first as close to your house as possible & the second as close to the server local. This will take you off the Comcast routing as close to your home as possible. The only issue is if the ping spikes are happening before you enter the WTFast network. Sadly, that’s a Comcast issue with they hardware. 

Been experimenting with WTFast in the last few days (subscribed for a month) with no real difference. The thing that bugs me is when their tool is showing 60+ lag the in-game meter shows 78+ (doesn't feel right). So, if I go by in-game meter, without WTFast I'm averaging 80-85 fps, and with it 78-82 fps with more frequent spikes to 120+ and some 200+. Will play with it some more (still have a month worth of subscription), but right now it doesn't feel like something worth paying for on a continues basis in my specific case (I'm in California).

3 minutes ago, VegaMist said:

Been experimenting with WTFast in the last few days (subscribed for a month) with no real difference. The thing that bugs me is when their tool is showing 60+ lag the in-game meter shows 78+ (doesn't feel right). So, if I go by in-game meter, without WTFast I'm averaging 80-85 fps, and with it 78-82 fps with more frequent spikes to 120+ and some 200+. Will play with it some more (still have a month worth of subscription), but right now it doesn't feel like something worth paying for on a continues basis in my specific case (I'm in California).

What hops are you going through in WTFast?

Hops change based on Pathfinder Mode. I tried all 3 (including manually choosing Atlanta ones - whichever one shows as fastest atm). So far, the result was pretty similar. Obviously, can't switch modes in the middle of PVP match, so I usually set something before queuing and, unless it immediately starts spiking, just see how it goes the rest of the evening. Except, the first night when I installed it and went through every option while either standing in a fleet stronghold, or killing random NPCs.

10 minutes ago, VegaMist said:

Hops change based on Pathfinder Mode. I tried all 3 (including manually choosing Atlanta ones - whichever one shows as fastest atm). So far, the result was pretty similar. Obviously, can't switch modes in the middle of PVP match, so I usually set something before queuing and, unless it immediately starts spiking, just see how it goes the rest of the evening. Except, the first night when I installed it and went through every option while either standing in a fleet stronghold, or killing random NPCs.

It sounds like it’s not working. Do you log out of the game and restart it after you make changes to the WTFast path? Because if you don’t, it’s not actually going through WTFast. 

Also, the first hop is going to be your most important because your ISP is the one with the performance issues. 

4 minutes ago, TrixxieTriss said:

It sounds like it’s not working. Do you log out of the game and restart it after you make changes to the WTFast path? Because if you don’t, it’s not actually going through WTFast. 

Also, the first hop is going to be your most important because your ISP is the one with the performance issues. 

Any change to WTFast kicks me out of the game, so that's a given. It's working, just not as well as I was hoping it would.

3 minutes ago, VegaMist said:

Any change to WTFast kicks me out of the game, so that's a given. It's working, just not as well as I was hoping it would.

What’s your first hop? I was using one of the LA 1 - LA 20 hops. Then Atlanta 5. I still got more spikes since they went to AWS.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

2 hours ago, TrixxieTriss said:

What’s your first hop? I was using one of the LA 1 - LA 20 hops. Then Atlanta 5. I still got more spikes since they went to AWS.

Can't answer at the moment since it started acting up and no longer connects when the game launches. Using Launch Game within WTFast doesn't work either since that by-passes the launcher (and there is no option to link the launcher in the latest WTFast version even though it seems there used to be one previously). And their support is currently available by email only (chat bot is totally useless). So, will continue playing with it over the next few days and see what happens.

10 minutes ago, VegaMist said:

Can't answer at the moment since it started acting up and no longer connects when the game launches. Using Launch Game within WTFast doesn't work either since that by-passes the launcher (and there is no option to link the launcher in the latest WTFast version even though it seems there used to be one previously). And their support is currently available by email only (chat bot is totally useless). So, will continue playing with it over the next few days and see what happens.

You can do a custom WTFast setup. That’s how I use it because I couldn’t get the swtor.exe to work properly. Have a look on the WTFast website on how to set it up. Once setup, you run WTFast first, then run swtor.exe separately. 

28 minutes ago, TrixxieTriss said:

You can do a custom WTFast setup. That’s how I use it because I couldn’t get the swtor.exe to work properly. Have a look on the WTFast website on how to set it up. Once setup, you run WTFast first, then run swtor.exe separately. 

I had to setup it up as custom already - the only "game" WTFast found on my machine was Zoom (???!?).

4 minutes ago, VegaMist said:

I had to setup it up as custom already - the only "game" WTFast found on my machine was Zoom (???!?).

It’s cause WTFast doesn’t recognise launcher.exe as the swtor game file. 
So try opening WTFast & launch the VPN connection. Then start the game straight after from your own game short cut. See if that connects properly for you. 

That's how I used to do it until a few hours ago. And now it doesn't connect properly anymore. I still have 31 days of subscription though I discontinued it from renewing after it - not sure if it had something to do with it, but the timing is suspicious.

2 hours ago, VegaMist said:

That's how I used to do it until a few hours ago. And now it doesn't connect properly anymore. I still have 31 days of subscription though I discontinued it from renewing after it - not sure if it had something to do with it, but the timing is suspicious.

Shouldn’t have anything to do with it. 
Did it do an update at all? Otherwise uninstall & reinstall to see if that fixes it. 

1 hour ago, TrixxieTriss said:

Shouldn’t have anything to do with it. 
Did it do an update at all? Otherwise uninstall & reinstall to see if that fixes it. 

Nope, no updates. But when I stopped continuous subscription, it first gave me a message that I'm unsubscribed (nope, still 31 days). Then it stopped that, all buttons became available again, but it stopped connecting. I'll try reinstall but not tonight.

On a different note, server just kicked us out of PVP match (both teams), and now we are punished for "leaving early".