Major performance issues after patch

khamseen_air

After today's patch I got into a Sparks of War group and the game crashed for three people in the group as soon as combat started. 

My own game froze repeatedly, then just as we finished it ground to a  complete halt and I tabbed out to see SWTOR was using 28GB of my 32GB of RAM and was trying to compress data into virtual memory too. Then the game crashed.

What have you guys done? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, khamseen_air said:

Looks like there's a pretty big memory leak problem. Just standing on fleet and watched the game's RAM usage slowly climb from 6GB to 26GB before the game crashed again. 

Question: Are you playing  thru  'STEAM'  or just the regular  game Launcher ?

So I followed a suggestion I saw in fleet chat and turned my graphics settings to high (they were custom) and disabled Enhanced Shadows (no idea if that's the new setting or not) and restarted my game and now it seems to be staying under 4GB of RAM usage. Game looks awful though. Really would like to hear from a dev about what changed and why this is happening. I know lighting changes happened, but standing around static on the fleet shouldn't be causing RAM usage to soar regardless of settings. 

I have Steam client and I have the same issues, just as you described: memory usage starts to climb from 40% (16 GB system memory), increasing by 1% points / few seconds, then once it consumes all memory, it starts to use the SSD as virtual memory until it is full as well, then the game crashes.

Turning off "Enhanced shadow" slows down the procedure, just like changing the graphical settings to low, but problem is not solved.
Since I don't want my account to be closed, I will refrain to address the "developers", no matter how hard it is.

Edited by varietasplus
  • Like 1

I can confirm that SWTOR currently uses as much RAM as it can until the computer crashes (it has not crashed for me yet, because I caught the problem in time). Currently my client uses approximately 11 GB of RAM, after running for about 40-45~ mins I last restarted it. Before I decided to restart the client, it ran up to 22.4 GB of RAM used up as you can see in the attached screenshot, and it then proceeded to hit 22.6 GB of RAM usage just before I restarted it.

I want to stress that this occurs completely independently of graphics quality settings from what I can tell - I have tested both very low as well as maxed out graphics settings.

Hence, to me this seems to be a graphics settings independent memory leak with the SWTOR client. Obviously this needs to be addressed and patched out as soon as possible.

image.thumb.png.e25f18304b63eaf5f0eafb896098469c.png

Edited by YanYama
  • Like 2

I'm so happy this isn't just me, the game was running more or less fine and I played 2 pvp matches with no issues out of the ordinary and then my game started completely freezing, and I looked at my ram using nearly 100% of its capacity with only the game open, whereas it usually only goes up to ~50% with everything else I have running in the background.
Oh and I also had my graphics set to the preset medium settings without bloom, even though I can easily run the game on ultra with everything on.
I use the regular game client as well, not the steam one.

Edited by Crazykidddd

Playing with 4 other players also all experiencing memory leak issue.

17 - 22 GB of memory usage is pretty typical for everyone right now.  One player only has 16 GB of memory and his game crashed with approx 10 GB of memory usage. It's going up higher over time.

Doesn't seem to consistently fix the memory leak if you disable enhanced shadows as some of them have it off.  Some are at ultra settings.

It seems to be related to opening the character sheet.

Edited by klizilii

I have noticed the memory leak happens when you view the character window. I had Process Explorer up at the time. Idled on the fleet with it at a good RAM usage, then opened up the window and it suddenly grew in size (went from 4 or so GB which is what it should be to 9.5+ GB)

Edited by Andertyne

I was wondering whether it was just me when my fleet was super laggy and everything kept stuttering. Despite the crappy performance, I was able to stay logged in and play for about two hours with no problems; then I thought I'd try to see whether a restart would help.

I started the new story and got up to "A Helping Hand", waiting to click on a crate next to two or three other people when suddenly everything started to freeze again. When I finally managed to click, everything came to a halt and by the time it unfroze my companion had killed the spawning mobs by himself. 😅 I had enough time to complain about my issues in guild chat, then the game crashed entirely.

However, since then I've been playing just fine for several hours with no further performance issues. It's quite odd.

Well my earlier post about changing graphics settings appears to have been too soon. 
Just had another massive memory spike standing still on fleet and game crashed after maxing out RAM and Virtual Memory again.

Please, do not make us wait months to get this fixed. It needs an emergency patch. 

4 hours ago, khamseen_air said:

Well my earlier post about changing graphics settings appears to have been too soon. 
Just had another massive memory spike standing still on fleet and game crashed after maxing out RAM and Virtual Memory again.

Please, do not make us wait months to get this fixed. It needs an emergency patch. 

They know --> https://forums.swtor.com/topic/932381-game-update-74a-december-6-2023/

So be sure to  RE-TEST  tomorrow after that ^  big hotfix patch.