I must be doing something horribly wrong. Please help.

Beelmodeus

Hello! I played an arena match as a level 31 assassin. The match was 3 vs 2. My team was the one with 3 players, one of them was a marauder. At the end of the two rounds I was second by damage with around 330.000, and the marauder was first with over 960.000. I thought I was a decent dps player. I key bound everything so that I can react immediately when a skill cooldown finishes and also practiced on the training dummy until I did not need to look at the keyboard anymore. However, since both the marauder and I were using only single target attacks, and the his damage was almost 3 times higher, I assume there must be something else I am missing. Am I maybe not geared properly? I heard that lowbies do not need to worry about gear since the game scales the stats. I have a piece of armor in every slot, and I have also equipped the items from the  "introduction to pvp" mission.

Stat scaling / Bolster barely functions. I don't think it even accounts for augments (which is like 25% of your stat pool).

Marauder has two types of players, atrociously bad or highly skilled. There's no real in between. The only comparable is sniper, but Marauder is harder to play since it's melee.

In short, Marauder has the highest skill ceiling in the game due to being melee. So you probably just encountered a good Marauder. Also "good" is subjective here, since lowbies and midbies have balance issues between levels (passives), gear and available ability choices.

Plus some classes like PT only get their full range of abilities and proper resource management at level 75+

Edited by RACATW
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RACATW said:

Stat scaling / Bolster barely functions. I don't think it even accounts for augments (which is like 25% of your stat pool).

Marauder has two types of players, atrociously bad or highly skilled. There's no real in between. The only comparable is sniper, but Marauder is harder to play since it's melee.

In short, Marauder has the highest skill ceiling in the game due to being melee. So you probably just encountered a good Marauder. Also "good" is subjective here, since lowbies and midbies have balance issues between levels (passives), gear and available ability choices.

Plus some classes like PT only get their full range of abilities and proper resource management at level 75+

Many thanks for clarifying!

4 hours ago, Beelmodeus said:

Many thanks for clarifying!

Keep in mind, that as you lvl up, everyone gains more abilities & the devs didn’t necessarily balance those abilities against other classes of the same or lower lvls. The higher a players lvl than you, the more likely they’ll have better abilities to use on you. 

I’ve been playing some lowbies this weekend. And I can tell you that in the lowest bracket, Marauders actually hit harder & play better than they currently do in end game at lvl 80.

But there are some classes like Madness Sorcs that are OP all the way from lowbies to end game. 

As you lvl up, you’ll start to see your Assassin get stronger. They’re already one of the strongest in lowbies. I would rate them 3rd most powerful in that bracket. Sadly, it doesn’t translate to end game PvP at lvl 80. So expect stiff competition from other classes you might be dominating now. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

i would avoid pvp in lowbies altogether. maybe if you've never played at 75/80 it's ok. otherwise, it's just frustrating, and there's no benefit to it. like WZ comms or learning how to play the maps (b/c ppl don't really use recognizable strats in the first place). When you hit somewhere around 70, things start feeling real. and by 75 you can actually play like you would at 80. or at least that's my recollection of it.

edit: 0-75 is really just there for the various stories or to level as fast as possible. there's no reason to dally in the hugely disparate leveling brackets. and it's a rather inefficient way to level. /2cents

Edited by krackcommando
  • Thanks 1