Class Story Cutscenes - lighting too bright/white/glare

Jazulfi

Is there a way to fix this somehow? It's mainly the character faces - they are SO bright with glare they lose most contrast/definition. It's honestly quite unpleasant and uncomfortable to watch at some points.

I've turned off bloom but it makes no difference.

My GPU is a Radeon RX 5700 XT. Are there any adjustments I could make with that? I know I could simply play around with the settings but I know from experience I'll change something and it will make things worse another way, so advice very gratefully received.

Many thanks. o/

The game has some weird problems with cutscenes. Shadows can be really janky, and as you mentioned, faces can look really weird due how the lighting source are handeled. In some cutscenes in KotFE and ET faces looks almost metallic. I think this is due to where the lighting source is placed, 

Base game is better off, but can sometimes be weird due how close the camera is to the player character. Some cutscenes have extreme close up shots that really makes it look stupid. I have no idea why they went with that design choice as far as custscenes go, as later cutscenes is far better in that regard, and make it seem more cinematic.

11 hours ago, Jazulfi said:

Is there a way to fix this somehow? It's mainly the character faces - they are SO bright with glare they lose most contrast/definition. It's honestly quite unpleasant and uncomfortable to watch at some points.

I've turned off bloom but it makes no difference.

My GPU is a Radeon RX 5700 XT. Are there any adjustments I could make with that? I know I could simply play around with the settings but I know from experience I'll change something and it will make things worse another way, so advice very gratefully received.

Many thanks. o/

You could try adjusting in the Radeon Software settings in Windows. You can overrule some of the in game texture settings there. Including the gamma, brightness & colours. But depending on what you choose, it will put a little bit more strain on your video card. The newer Radeon Adrenaline software allows you to set it up per game. So it’s game dependent & doesn’t mess up your other games or Windows settings. 

On 9/24/2023 at 6:17 AM, Jazulfi said:

I have noticed sometimes background lighting will reflect on the faces. I've gotten used to it as sort of the cartoony Clone Wars look. Everything has a slight plastic sheen to it.

One place I noticed recently that seems worse than I remember was in the Matriarch's house on Tython. The Jedi Knight has to go there a few times for their story. In those scenes it looked like their faces were in full sun while the backgrounds had the normal shading. Maybe it was always there, but I don't remember that before.

On 9/24/2023 at 2:30 PM, Otowi said:

Base game is better off, but can sometimes be weird due how close the camera is to the player character. Some cutscenes have extreme close up shots that really makes it look stupid. I have no idea why they went with that design choice as far as custscenes go, as later cutscenes is far better in that regard, and make it seem more cinematic.

Part of it is from the devs getting more experienced at making cutscenes. They got better at framing and zooming.

Part of it could also be that screen sizes got bigger over the years. When SWTOR came out 22-24 inch was the most common gaming monitor size. These days it's probably 27-32 inch. Assuming you sit the same distance away, everything is going to look bigger. On a smaller screen, it might not look so zoomed in even though it's the same shot.

Edited by ThanderSnB
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, ThanderSnB said:

I have noticed sometimes background lighting will reflect on the faces. I've gotten used to it as sort of the cartoony Clone Wars look. Everything has a slight plastic sheen to it.

One place I noticed recently that seems worse than I remember was in the Matriarch's house on Tython. The Jedi Knight has to go there a few times for their story. In those scenes it looked like their faces were in full sun while the backgrounds had the normal shading. Maybe it was always there, but I don't remember that before.

Part of it is from the devs getting more experienced at making cutscenes. They got better at framing and zooming.

Part of it could also be that screen sizes got bigger over the years. When SWTOR came out 22-24 inch was the most common gaming monitor size. These days it's probably 27-32 inch. Assuming you sit the same distance away, everything is going to look bigger. On a smaller screen, it might not look so zoomed in even though it's the same shot.

True. And then you have some cutscenes that are pretty dark after 7.0 I think it was. Something did change with how the lighting is handeled after 7.0, so that could be why we get plastic looking faces in some cutscenes. 

I noticed you can get a weird effect if you have the Revan holostatue, or any other holostatue out before starting a cutscene and forgetting to remove it before the cutscene, that the lighting from the holostatue comes into play as it lends a blue tinge to the cutscene, so I have to wonder if blue light sources are somehow leaking into cutscenes where they are not supposed to.

• 3 weeks later...

I hate the bright white cutscene things so much! They are particularly bad in that one (already tedious and annoying) chapter where you are running through Valkorian's memories. EVERY SINGLE one has the bright as frak white light that is practically blinding. I hate it. Make it black, make it grey, make it anything but blinding white (I'm sure most of us don't play in overhead illuminated settings the devs work in, so it's even more eye-damaging when we're in the dark with only our computer on or maybe a small lamp across the room). I haven't found a way around it except to turn the monitor off or on my laptop to almost close it! Horrible horrible effect that I really wish they fixed rather than worrying about "fixing" things that don't need to be fixed (like lighting and shadows! Who gives a crap about whether or not their toon's shadow is visible and at the correct angle on a planet with three suns when we are snowblind from the white cut scene screens? Hardly immersive to be blinking unhappily in order to clear floaties from being near-blinded by the game).