The Dangers of Overlong Downtimes

Tantala

Might want to check out GW2 as well. Their recent expansion included the Skyscale, which is arguably the best mount in any MMO on the market, and where Wow got their idea in their last expansion. The Skyscale had been a roughly three week grind, mostly due to being time-gated, but it's now available. 

As for SWTOR, there's nothing more you can do, people will have to wait it out or move on. 

I have 70 alts most are 80 now. I have 5 more to go. However 2 troopers and 3 smugglers my least favorite to play.  They are 75. I have been playing till 80 or to a certain stopping point. The last few have not even finished the base class story. I will get 80 and go back to a main or complete the story on one. Many of my alts are at various parts of the game. My mains are done.

6 minutes ago, LD_Little_Dragon said:

I like swtor, but 6 to 8 hours of not logging in isn't a tragedy.

Besides, it's not like the dev's want to have long downtimes.   This isn't a choice.  "oh, the server migrations, we could do it in half an hour, but let's make it 6 hours for fun!"

If they fix the bugs and craziness in this game I would be more than happy to give them 2 days of downtime. 

Edit: Actually if they fix the whole game I would give them 2 years of downtime, rewrite the whole thing.

Edited by felleto

4 minutes ago, felleto said:

If they fix the bugs and craziness in this game I would be more than happy to give them 2 days of downtime. 

Edit: Actually if they fix the whole game I would give them 2 years of downtime, rewrite the whole thing.

2 days yes, 2 years?   I'd rather live with the bugs, at this point the old bugs and the workarounds are just part of the game to me.

If you play ESO, you know how much worse their maintenance times are. Also, while the graphics are comparatively nicer for a game developed roughly at the same time as SWTOR, ESO's combat system is atrocious (yes, even an old, tab-target MMO like SWTOR is far superior, clunky engine and all). ESO's in-game store also makes SWTOR's look like a charity.

For a while there was a rumor the next Star Wars MMO was being developed by the same company. I'm glad that seems to be false, due to how their publisher runs ESO's in-game store.

Edited by arunav
  • Like 2

Yeah, ESO's maintenance times are not the greatest, in addition to their action combat. Tera and GW2, just name a couple did and do a far better job in that area. ESO's store is one of the worst on the market, it does make this game's cash shop look tame. lol I tend to go back to ESO every six months or so, and will probably return soon. One thing is for sure with that game, is that it has probably ten times the population this game has, and their new content is actually worth paying for. Their story is just as good as this one here, subjective of course, and the fact that most if not all dialogue is voiced over. SWTOR would be smart to follow other game's business models other than WoW's.

Starfield was Zinimax/Betheda's release. 

4 hours ago, Pirana said:

Their recent expansion included the Skyscale

The Skyscale has been in the game since May 2019, in fact.  What the recent expansion added was a way for people who don't (didn't previously?) have War Eternal (Living World Season 4 Episode 6) and A Star to Guide Us (LWS4E3) to get it.

3 hours ago, VanessaBlackrose said:

Yes indeed! Wouldn't want  Lord Sithis  and his cult of the Dark Brotherhood on my humble doorstep. 😛 (that really was a great storyline though! loved the Dark Brotherhood)

Despite, or maybe because of, their brutal graphicness, I *love* the mini cutscenes when I use the Blade of Woe.

30 minutes ago, SteveTheCynic said:

The Skyscale has been in the game since May 2019, in fact.  What the recent expansion added was a way for people who don't (didn't previously?) have War Eternal (Living World Season 4 Episode 6) and A Star to Guide Us (LWS4E3) to get it.

That is correct, but in the past, you had to grind for it, which was usually three weeks, in other words, time-gated. It's now included with their latest expansion, and a much easier route to obtain it. 

7 hours ago, Pirana said:

Tera and GW2, just name a couple did and do a far better job in that area. I tend to go back to ESO every six months or so, and will probably return soon. One thing is for sure with that game, is that it has probably ten times the population this game has, and their new content is actually worth paying for. Their story is just as good as this one here, subjective of course, and the fact that most if not all dialogue is voiced over.

I finally did it and installed ESO and GW2 today.

Full speed ahead! 🙂

1 hour ago, Lord_Malganus said:

I finally did it and installed ESO and GW2 today.

Full speed ahead! 🙂

You won't be disappointed, both have their own unique qualities. Both have a good story, both action combat with GW2 giving you the option of tab targeting/action combat. The biggest difference is GW2 is a horizontal progression, while ESO is more vertical. You can't go wrong with either game though. Just a heads up, don't get crazy with ESO's cash shop, it doesn't have the best reputation. If you continue to play GW2, you're going to find out just how hard open world content can be in a video game, notably in their first two expansions, Heart of Thorns and Path of Fire. The entire base game of GW2 is free, the expansions are not. ESO similarly, but if you have the VIP (essentially their sub), all materials you gather are sorted automatically in a separate inventory among other perks. 

Keep in mind, ESO's combat can be an acquired taste, it can feel a little clunky at first, while GW2 is much more friendlier. Either way, have a great time, there's a reason both games are still very active and near, or in the top ten MMO's on the market after a decade. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, VanessaBlackrose said:

eso is not swtor. lol

I don't even know what ESO is 😂

15 hours ago, VanessaBlackrose said:

The "dangers" of overlong downtimes? you get house done, car done.. walk the dog... go shopping.. go for a drive.. enjoy the fall season as the heatwave is gone... 

Apparantly... for some people, "gaming" is pretty much the only thing they can think about.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Pirana said:

That is correct, but in the past, you had to grind for it, which was usually three weeks, in other words, time-gated. It's now included with their latest expansion, and a much easier route to obtain it. 

It took me lots less than three weeks to get it.  People who don't routinely gather / make time-gated resources (in this specific case, Charged Quartz Crystals to make/buy the items needed for one of the stages of the original Skyscale sequence) are liable to discover unexpectedly that they need the resource(s) for a specific project (e.g. getting the Skyscale).

And the CQCs were less time-gated than you think.  The general analysis is that you can only get one per day, which isn't true.  Granted, you can't reliably get more than 2 or maybe 3 in a single day (by mining quartz nodes in Dry Top), but you *aren't* limited to just the one per day from the Krait Obelisk in someone's home instance.

But at the point the Skyscale arrived, I had over 150 CQCs stashed in my material storage area, so the "twelve" days needed to make the CQCs needed for the collections was, for me, zero.

Ref: [merged] About the Skyscale Timegate... - Page 22 - Guild Wars 2 Discussion - Guild Wars 2 Forums

EDIT: also [merged] About the Skyscale Timegate... - Page 66 - Guild Wars 2 Discussion - Guild Wars 2 Forums

Edited by SteveTheCynic

48 minutes ago, SteveTheCynic said:

The Elder Scrolls Online, an MMORPG set in the same world as Skyrim.

Oh, right
I'm not sure why he even mentioned a completely different game then.
I mean... As far as i can tell is the only similarities between "Elder Scrolls Online" and "Star Wars: The Old Republic"
is that they are both MMO's but that's about it.

3 hours ago, SteveTheCynic said:

It took me lots less than three weeks to get it.  People who don't routinely gather / make time-gated resources (in this specific case, Charged Quartz Crystals to make/buy the items needed for one of the stages of the original Skyscale sequence) are liable to discover unexpectedly that they need the resource(s) for a specific project (e.g. getting the Skyscale).

And the CQCs were less time-gated than you think.  The general analysis is that you can only get one per day, which isn't true.  Granted, you can't reliably get more than 2 or maybe 3 in a single day (by mining quartz nodes in Dry Top), but you *aren't* limited to just the one per day from the Krait Obelisk in someone's home instance.

But at the point the Skyscale arrived, I had over 150 CQCs stashed in my material storage area, so the "twelve" days needed to make the CQCs needed for the collections was, for me, zero.

Ref: [merged] About the Skyscale Timegate... - Page 22 - Guild Wars 2 Discussion - Guild Wars 2 Forums

EDIT: also [merged] About the Skyscale Timegate... - Page 66 - Guild Wars 2 Discussion - Guild Wars 2 Forums

This is why the word usually was used, it's similar to the word roughly, three weeks was used loosely. If you're unsure of the definition of those two words, peruse the internet. The point remains, that the Skyscale is now very easy to obtain compared to what it was. But by all means, continue on, I do find your replies nothing short of comical. 

4 hours ago, TriceraNL said:

Oh, right
I'm not sure why he even mentioned a completely different game then.
I mean... As far as i can tell is the only similarities between "Elder Scrolls Online" and "Star Wars: The Old Republic"
is that they are both MMO's but that's about it.

Well, one is Elder and the other is Old, there is a connection there.

😜

• Haha 4