Grey Jedi Knight Combat Style Combination Choice

BlackySchwarz

Basically I am planning to make a force sensitive grey/ dark Jedi. Similar to Darth Revan or others. I just can't figure out which Combat Style combination I want to go with. Since I mainly want to  RP and do solo content I don't care about how viable each class is for endgame.
I don't want a doublebladed lightsaber, so Jedi Shadow and Sith Assassin are out. I also don't care so much about not having lightning abilities.
Please don't tell me that I should play what seems most fun to me, that really doesn't help.
I wrote this down so that people who are also having a similar issue might find some needed insight. I also hope that this helps me making a choice I am happy with.

These are the ideas I came up with:

1. Jedi Sage and Sith Marauder (Revan like?)

Pro: 

• The jedi sage abilities really make you feel like you are some really powerful force sensitive;
  • You can RP as having one lightsaber and when things get serious you pull out your 2nd Lightsaber, give into the darkside and go into a melee rampage;
  • You have basically the coolest combination of force powers ( Force Choke, Telekinesis (throwing boulders and other things), lifting people up, force pushing multiple people with Force Wave, Lightsaber Throw, Force Crush, Force Leap, Teleportation, making the ground tremble/ earth quake, short invisibility and some minor others);
  • The Marauder also has Fury stacks which look cool, but might be a bit too much for a Grey Jedi (red aura makes you look like you are being consumed by the darkside)

Con: 

• The red Fury stack aura might also be seen as a con;
  • You have no lightning abilities (if you don't count legacy abilities); 
  • The stance of the Jedi Sage looks bad and the melee animations of the Marauder look worse than the Sentinel and Guardian (less fancy and more brutish, might be a Pro for some);
  • The class regeneration abilities look way worse than Inquisitor and Guardian (Sage "Meditation" is okay ish but Marauder "Channel Hatred" is just awful)

2. Jedi Sage and Jedi Sentinel (Ashoka ish Style)

Pro:  

• The jedi sage abilities really make you feel like you are some really powerful force sensitive;
  • You can RP as having one lightsaber and when things get serious you pull out your 2nd Lightsaber and go Melee;
  • You have alright Force Power combinations (Telekinesis (throwing boulders and other things), lifting people up, force pushing multiple people with Force Wave, Lightsaber Throw,  Force Leap, Teleportation, making the ground tremble/ earth quake, short invisibility and some minor others);
  • You have Passive Zen stacks which give you a blue Aura, that makes you look like you are a really powerful holy force user (kind of like as if you are one with the force);
  • Sentienls "Introspection" is the coolest looking class regen ability (at least to me, it's basically Qui Gon's meditation pose in the fight against Maul, plus some cool visual extras, you can also charge your Zen Stacks which is really cool for RP);
  • The Melee animations of Sentinel look really satisfying

Con: 

• You have NO Darkside Abilities and your char looks all Light (if you don't count legacy abilities, there you get Force Choke and Lightning);
  • You have less interesting force powers than Combination Nr. 1

3. Jedi Sage and Jedi Guardian (Obi Wan ish Style)

Basically the same Pro and Con as Combination Nr. 2, besides:

Pro:

• The Stance is the best looking one in the game and the melee animations are fancy and satisfying (its basically Obi Wan's Combat style)

Con:

• You only have 1 Lightsaber and no Zen stacks (no different color combinations like purple + red/blue and no blue aura);
  • You have no short invisibitly but you get a single target force push

4. Jedi Guardian and Sith Marauder (Revan like?)

Pro:

• Guardian Stance is the best looking one in the game and the melee animations are fancy and satisfying (its basically Obi Wan's Combat style);
  • You can RP as having one lightsaber and when things get serious you pull out your 2nd Lightsaber and embrace the darkside;
  • Fury stacks might be a bit too much but add to embracing the darkside (you get a red aura after fighting for a while);
  • "Introspection" is the coolest looking class regen ability (at least to me, it's basically Qui Gon's meditation pose in the fight against Maul)

Con: 

• The red Fury stack aura might also be seen as a con; 
  • Marauder regen ability "Channel Hatred" looks awful;
  • You have 2 Melee Classes;
  • You don't feel all that strong in the force, because your character lacks lots of abilities like making the ground tremble (You have: Lightsaber Throw, single target Force Push, Force Choke, Force Crush, Force Freeze, Invisibility, Force Leap, some minor others)
  • You have no lightning abilities and barely any telekinetic abilities (if you dont count legacy abilities... there you get a short force lightning and a couple rock throws)

Possible other combinations: (I dont want to write them down in depth)

5. Sith Sorceror and Jedi Sentinel

6. Sith Juggernaut and Jedi Sentinel

TLDR: What combat style combinations would you choose for a Grey JK/ Fallen JK (similar to Revan) and why. If you have some additional arguments/ pros and cons please list them. As this is mainly for RP purposes, endgame or meta arguments don't matter here (also no double bladed lightsaber).

Seems like you've written out the pros and cons in quite a lot of detail already, but I do have some thoughts to add. For the combination lacking Sage or Sorcerer I see you mention that you don't feel all that strong in the force. And while you certainly are a lot less force focused there are a few disciplines: Fury (Marauder), Rage (Juggernaut), Concentration (Sentinel) and Focus (Guardian) that do add a bit more force powers into those classes. They are all very similar, with the difference being in Dark side/Light side flavour and the fury/zen stacks for Mara/Sent.

Specifically they add Raging Burst/Furious Burst and Force Crush/Force Exhaustion. The former of them feels like a nice big burst of force power which is very satisfying to use imo, the latter being a little more subtle, but still very cool.

With Sage/Sorcerer be aware that while you are using either of these classes, your lightsaber will be near worthless. You have 1 ability that uses it, and it does barely any damage. Even in solo content, you really don't want to be using your lightsaber in this stance, which makes them feel distinctly less Jedi/Sith-like in my opinion, as they tend to use their lightsaber a lot, actually.

Guardian has a lovely saber stance imo, and makes a fine 'not yet fully embracing the darkside' style, which you want to add a darker combat style to. For that darker side I would definitely include Marauder if you want to go anything Revan-like. The two sabers are iconic to his look, and the sentinel is too lightside themed for a fallen jedi imo. I personally do like Channel Hatred, but you could always switch back to Guardian after a fight perhaps? You could also look into regen items, or from species (I know Mirialan gets a species-exclusive regen ability in addition to the regular one). Or just accept it, sadly no combination of classes will be exactly perfect for what you want.

Tl;dr: I'd probably go Guardian/Marauder or even Sentinel/Marauder (though they are of course mirror classes, so the difference is purely flavour). You want the double sabers in there, and Fury will give you some more force powers compared to others specs to still feel powerful in the force, without entirely giving up your ability to whack things with your lightsaber. I'm assuming the lack of lightning powers isn't too bad, since you mentioned not caring about that too much in the opening.

Edited by AdjeYo
  • Like 1

Am 11.9.2023 um 16:34 schrieb AdjeYo:

Seems like you've written out the pros and cons in quite a lot of detail already, but I do have some thoughts to add. For the combination lacking Sage or Sorcerer I see you mention that you don't feel all that strong in the force. And while you certainly are a lot less force focused there are a few disciplines: Fury (Marauder), Rage (Juggernaut), Concentration (Sentinel) and Focus (Guardian) that do add a bit more force powers into those classes. They are all very similar, with the difference being in Dark side/Light side flavour and the fury/zen stacks for Mara/Sent.

Specifically they add Raging Burst/Furious Burst and Force Crush/Force Exhaustion. The former of them feels like a nice big burst of force power which is very satisfying to use imo, the latter being a little more subtle, but still very cool.

With Sage/Sorcerer be aware that while you are using either of these classes, your lightsaber will be near worthless. You have 1 ability that uses it, and it does barely any damage. Even in solo content, you really don't want to be using your lightsaber in this stance, which makes them feel distinctly less Jedi/Sith-like in my opinion, as they tend to use their lightsaber a lot, actually.

Guardian has a lovely saber stance imo, and makes a fine 'not yet fully embracing the darkside' style, which you want to add a darker combat style to. For that darker side I would definitely include Marauder if you want to go anything Revan-like. The two sabers are iconic to his look, and the sentinel is too lightside themed for a fallen jedi imo. I personally do like Channel Hatred, but you could always switch back to Guardian after a fight perhaps? You could also look into regen items, or from species (I know Mirialan gets a species-exclusive regen ability in addition to the regular one). Or just accept it, sadly no combination of classes will be exactly perfect for what you want.

Tl;dr: I'd probably go Guardian/Marauder or even Sentinel/Marauder (though they are of course mirror classes, so the difference is purely flavour). You want the double sabers in there, and Fury will give you some more force powers compared to others specs to still feel powerful in the force, without entirely giving up your ability to whack things with your lightsaber. I'm assuming the lack of lightning powers isn't too bad, since you mentioned not caring about that too much in the opening.

Thanks for your in depth argument. I might go with Guardian and Marauder but I am still thinking about Sage and Marauder.. I will have to reflect on this a bit more

• 2 months later...

I like your sage/marauder combo, and in fact you can make the marauder's animations more like the sentienel's if you pick the carnage spec. which is the one i main in my warrior (who is mostly Light Sided), it still looks like a dark sided style but much more refined and it's also really fun to use the aclaricity boosts that make your character attack faster.

Also the balance spec for the sage is also rather gray as it has damage over time which deals with mind-crushing abilities.