BioWare trainwreck

xxSHOONYxx

Seems swtor was actually saved from he trainwreck BioWare is right now, laying off 20% of their workforce a few days ago.

https://www.eurogamer.net/bioware-lays-off-senior-writing-staff-as-part-of-its-recent-job-cuts

Game is still dead to me until they add meaningful group content, seems the game moving to a maintenance developer was still better than remaining on BioWare though.

6 minutes ago, Lord_Malganus said:

Moving to BS in name while keeping half the same exact staff is hardly avoiding a train wreck.

Staying at bioware would have been a sure thing for a trainwreck. That company is shutting down after Dreadwolf releases and flops, because if it even is a "good game" it will be compared to bg3 (even more now after they fired bg 1 and 2 lead writer) and fail. Everyhing Bioware has had their hands of in the past several years was a dumpster fire. 
At least in broadsword it will be seen if the issue was the devs or it was BioWare higher ups messing up and ruining everything.

Some very wise words that were once said in a YouTube video about the fall of Portugal's monarchy should be kept in mind:

"it turns out that things don't get magically fixed by ousting the guy with the crown."

Whoever is in charge, they are going to have similarly limited resources for a seemingly unlimited list of issues...

2 minutes ago, Lord_Malganus said:

True.

We shall see.

I agree with your initial response.  If BioWare management was pulling resources from SWTOR to do non-SWTOR work the reported downsizing of the dev team as part of the transition to Broadsword in all likelihood reduced SWTOR dev team's ability to produce/fix content more than BioWare management ever did over the two years prior to the transition.

its not a big suprice for me that this is happing now to bioware since its there own fault more.

if you look is good how many game's there have release so far have been doing good non of then has make a big sucses at all since most of the game's there have release have fail hard that it has become more waste money and a lot of time waste for release a broken game.

you see it alot now with game developing companys that need to layof a lot off people since there game's have all become a flop with a lot of bad reputation so that nobody is going to buy then.

SWTOR had great community support (From its players/customers) and feed back from them the entire 12 years.

Bio-ware repeatedly dropped the ball ignoring a lot of great player feedback and failed to communicate.

What happens now will soon be seen.

Edited by Lord_Malganus
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Interestingly, this article reporting on the same layoffs briefly mentions SWTOR, including that it's gone into 'maintenance mode' at Broadsword: 

"The layoff also comes about three months after EA moved production of its massively multiplayer online game, Star Wars: The Old Republic, to a third-party publisher, Broadsword, in Reston, Virginia. The game debuted way back in 2011 and has entered maintenance mode.

Broadsword has also taken over games like Ultima Online and Dark Age of Camelot so players can keep playing them. McKay said BioWare’s focus will be on making “exceptional story-driven single-player experiences filled with vast worlds and rich characters.”

https://venturebeat.com/games/eas-bioware-will-lay-off-50-and-cut-ties-with-unionized-keywords-playtesting-group/

Obviously, we won't really know until well into next year what the end result for SWTOR will be after the move. I'm hoping enough work has already been done to at least finish the Darth Nul/Malgus story properly, and anything else is kind of extra.

Seasonal content doesn't really do much for me, personally. I'd honestly prefer it if the remaining team fixed design problems with what was obviously a prematurely released 7.0. If the game is going into 'maintenance,' the skill/leveling trees and, to a lesser extent, gearing system in place during 6.x would have been far more preferrable. Hopefully, adjustments to current systems are still possible to do, barring complete overhauls. If new systems are possible to develop, one that allows for varying levels of difficulty in the original class story leveling process would be welcome by many SWTOR players, ones who find it way too easy to fully enjoy, as was possible from 1.0-3.x. 

Edited by arunav

10 hours ago, arunav said:

f I'd honestly prefer it if the remaining team fixed design problems with what was obviously a prematurely released 7.0. If the game is going into 'maintenance,' the skill/leveling trees and, to a lesser extent, gearing system in place during 6.x would have been far more preferrable.

This so much.  I'm still annoyed with the horrible UI changes (to me at least) combined with the ability losses/levelling changes they shoved at us.  They made rolling new alts and taking them through the stories so much less fun with those changes, not to mention endgame.

I would have been much happier if the game just stopped at 6.0 if we're going into full maintenance mode.

14 hours ago, arunav said:

Interestingly, this article reporting on the same layoffs briefly mentions SWTOR, including that it's gone into 'maintenance mode' at Broadsword: 

"The layoff also comes about three months after EA moved production of its massively multiplayer online game, Star Wars: The Old Republic, to a third-party publisher, Broadsword, in Reston, Virginia. The game debuted way back in 2011 and has entered maintenance mode.

Broadsword has also taken over games like Ultima Online and Dark Age of Camelot so players can keep playing them. McKay said BioWare’s focus will be on making “exceptional story-driven single-player experiences filled with vast worlds and rich characters.”

https://venturebeat.com/games/eas-bioware-will-lay-off-50-and-cut-ties-with-unionized-keywords-playtesting-group/

Obviously, we won't really know until well into next year what the end result for SWTOR will be after the move. I'm hoping enough work has already been done to at least finish the Darth Nul/Malgus story properly, and anything else is kind of extra.

Seasonal content doesn't really do much for me, personally. I'd honestly prefer it if the remaining team fixed design problems with what was obviously a prematurely released 7.0. If the game is going into 'maintenance,' the skill/leveling trees and, to a lesser extent, gearing system in place during 6.x would have been far more preferrable. Hopefully, adjustments to current systems are still possible to do, barring complete overhauls. If new systems are possible to develop, one that allows for varying levels of difficulty in the original class story leveling process would be welcome by many SWTOR players, ones who find it way too easy to fully enjoy, as was possible from 1.0-3.x. 

Ouch, yes it clearly states maintenace mode, well we alredy knew that, i guess 7.4 will be the end at least for me ( i can't stand doing ev sm anymore after 10 years to be honest).

I just resubbed last week to play "The "Barbie" but only for 1 month.

14 hours ago, arunav said:

If new systems are possible to develop, one that allows for varying levels of difficulty in the original class story leveling process would be welcome by many SWTOR players, ones who find it way too easy to fully enjoy, as was possible from 1.0-3.x. 

but still you have most of the problems still left why some of the players have left in the first place.

not forget that bioware never has fix a lot of bugs this game has still and only has add more bugs to the game.

there are some type of bugs there cant fix since there use a alpha state game engine so some of then will stay for good but there are a lot there can fix but never have done and ignore it.

+ there have creat the inflation problem and ignore the warning sign's.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/2/2023 at 8:37 PM, psikofunkster said:

Ouch, yes it clearly states maintenace mode, well we alredy knew that

It's just an article on a website, they don't know any more than we do. But I've never understood the fuss about "maintenance mode" anyway, like what would even change?

3 minutes ago, Lord_Malganus said:

MM generally means no new content and focusing on making the game easy to maintain.

SWTOR has been in maintenance mode lite for years now. The last big expansion was 6.0. But that's ok. I just wish they would communicate clearly what direction this game is taking for the next years.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Whykara said:

I just wish they would communicate clearly what direction this game is taking for the next years.

thats something a lot off people wane hear from them all for month's that there tell us what there are planing to do.

so far if there not tell us there plans there have with the game means more there keep following the same direction bioware has been doing all for years

Edited by Spikanor

6 minutes ago, Spikanor said:

so far if there not tell us there plans there have with the game means more there keep following the same direction bioware has been doing all for years

That's what I'm afraid of too. The worst kind of change is no change at all.