Madness V lightning

shadowmalic

On 8/17/2023 at 8:43 PM, shadowmalic said:

Returning player wandering the current state of both specs. is lightnin/Tel still the top one or is madness/balance finally caught up.

Someone in the Dev team hates Lightning as its been nerfed into the ground.

DoT specs are better at everything: Sustain, Burst, AoE, etc.

Playing a Lightning is literally only if you're sadistic at this point. 

Madness however requires pressing about 4 buttons vs. the symphony of keys of Lightning and even if you mess up you'll do more damage. If you make one mistake as a Lightning you won't even be in the same tier.

Worse is they just boosted Lightning and it still doesn't keep up with the plethora of benefits so many other specs have. 

Why the Devs decided to nuke a beloved spec into the ground? No idea beyond they simply don't understand or play the game. 

On 8/18/2023 at 4:43 AM, shadowmalic said:

Returning player wandering the current state of both specs. is lightnin/Tel still the top one or is madness/balance finally caught up.

Madness will bring more sustained and AoE. Lightning brings more burst. Both will perform just fine in basically every situation. 

• 3 months later...

The only thing I would say is you have to watch your force resource meter more in madness as you level up. This isn’t really an issue for lighting spec. Once you get higher, that balances out more. But Lightning is the easiest to manage at lower lvls. 

Honestly, unless you’re doing competitive end game content (PvP or pve), then either Sorc build is fine. Just play what ever you prefer. 

• 2 weeks later...

There is absolutely no reason to use lightning/telekinetics. Madness/balance does just as much damage, does not suffer much from mobility issues, and has an absolutely insane amount of self heals built into the rotation. The only thing I think lightning/tk has over it is burst damage but plaguemaster skill is close to the burst damage comparison

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/13/2023 at 11:34 AM, Brittaany_Banks said:

The only thing I think lightning/tk has over it is burst damage but plaguemaster skill is close to the burst damage comparison

Plaguemaster is great for single target.  I switched from DoT spread and I like it.  

With my Lightning sorceress, I've been playing with elemental convection for trash and solo content. 

They're about the same right now. I just re-subbed after about a year and a half and have been trying out both. I checked out Parsely and they are literally the same. Top is Lightning, then Madness, then Lightning, then Madness, and on and on. They perform the same in PvE.

Lightning was above Madness for such a long time, some Lightning players will tell you it doesn't feel the same and it's worse now, by comparison. It's not, it feels the same and they put up the same numbers.

In PvP they also perform about the same. Madness has always been a bit more mobile, but it has less burst and it takes longer to ramp up.

You're also not going to see much difference in how many abilities you use, both L and M have the same amount of damage abilities. That poster above that said you only have 4 abilities in Madness is not a madness player, or is exaggerating on purpose. But if you're a returning player, you already know both specs. You will enjoy both of them. Pick whichever you like playing more.