SWTOR to begin moving servers to the cloud beginning August 15th!

JackieKo

6 hours ago, Exly said:

It looks like they didn't have any idea of how long the shutdown would be, so they just told us what they thought we wanted to hear instead of telling us the truth.

That is the way it always goes. Nothing has changed.

Edited by Lord_Malganus

It’s interesting that they had to take down all the servers to move Leviathan.  There’s obviously some cross connection between the systems.  If they were fully independent, whoever is running the show could stop and restart each of them individually.  As I recall when Star Forge needed attention earlier this summer, Satele Shan was bounced as well.

Any word on performance changes for Leviathan?  Is the latency improved?

first impression:

normally i have a ping around 30, depends on the day. sometimes better.
now on lev i get 45-60 with constant fluctuations.

but to be honest, it is way to early to judge on that.
the other eu servers are pretty stable.

Edited by fabsus

Would love if someone playing on Leviathan could please check what the IP is and post it. I just want to run some network tests, but the laptop I’m on is an Apple, so it doesn’t run Swtor. 

This is how you find the IP address :

Open the Windows command prompt.
Type this command 

Netstat -n -p tcp -b | more

It will show you the 2 swtor connections to the server IP.
It usually has an ip like this - 

52.16.191.XXX

1 hour ago, TrixxieTriss said:

Would love if someone playing on Leviathan could please check what the IP is and post it. I just want to run some network tests, but the laptop I’m on is an Apple, so it doesn’t run Swtor. 

The one I traceted yesterday was 52.16.191.222.

Is your laptop on an Intel CPU or Apple M1/M2?  If it's on Intel, you can run SWTOR from Windows launched by Bootcamp, or using Crossover (no guarantees on how well that will work because I don't know how up to date it is compared to Wine).

39 minutes ago, SteveTheCynic said:

The one I traceted yesterday was 52.16.191.222.

Is your laptop on an Intel CPU or Apple M1/M2?  If it's on Intel, you can run SWTOR from Windows launched by Bootcamp, or using Crossover (no guarantees on how well that will work because I don't know how up to date it is compared to Wine).

Thanks Steve. Yeah, unfortunately it’s an M2.

Tried pinging 52.16.191.222 but it’s not returning. Not sure if it’s some anti DDOS measure on AWS or they changed the IP since yesterday. 

Edited by TrixxieTriss

5 hours ago, TrixxieTriss said:

Tried pinging 52.16.191.222 but it’s not returning. Not sure if it’s some anti DDOS measure on AWS or they changed the IP since yesterday

I can't ping it either, nor get a completed-end-to-end result from tracert either, but I couldn't get tracert to complete yesterday either.  That IP resolves back to ec2-52-16-191-222.eu-west-1.compute.amazonaws.com for me.  I'll be going online in a few minutes (once I finish my dinner), and I'll let you know which IP it's using today.

1 hour ago, SteveTheCynic said:

I can't ping it either, nor get a completed-end-to-end result from tracert either, but I couldn't get tracert to complete yesterday either.  That IP resolves back to ec2-52-16-191-222.eu-west-1.compute.amazonaws.com for me.  I'll be going online in a few minutes (once I finish my dinner), and I'll let you know which IP it's using today.

Thanks Steve 

On 8/15/2023 at 6:27 PM, SteveTheCynic said:

This is irrelevant.  Bad customer-facing actions are bad no matter how many customers are affected.

Well, I wholeheartedly agree with you. But Bioware doesn't care for their whole customer base most of the time, what made you think they'll care about the french players? They should, but they don't.

Leviathan is having issues. I cannot go to Nar Shaddaa. When trying to go from stronghold, no response. When trying to quiktravel (galactic) no response. When trying to go with my ship it makes the scenary for going to the planet and puts me back in my starship.

On 8/15/2023 at 10:59 PM, Advocatis said:

It’s interesting that they had to take down all the servers to move Leviathan.  There’s obviously some cross connection between the systems.  If they were fully independent, whoever is running the show could stop and restart each of them individually.  As I recall when Star Forge needed attention earlier this summer, Satele Shan was bounced as well.

Any word on performance changes for Leviathan?  Is the latency improved?

Of course there is most likely some cross connection,  well sorta.  There likely is a login server does a hand off to the individual game servers,  handling that client side would be absurd for a game like SWTOR and open it up to all kinds of potential issues.  Think of it this way,  when they were moving Leviathan they would need to get this login server configured to interact with Leviathan's new setup,  be that some type of pass through for Load balancing or anti-DDOS protection.  This would likely require taking the login server down, doing the reconfiguration the bringing it back up.  It's a good opportunity to reboot the other game servers as well, since while the login server is offline you wouldn't be able to connect to anything anyways.

On 8/16/2023 at 3:46 PM, TrixxieTriss said:

Must be some sort of AWS security feature then 🤷🏻‍♀️ That will make it difficult to trouble shoot any future connection issues 😞

Doubtful, it's most likely some anti-DDOs protection, or a load balancer,  just because we can't tell exactly what it is, doesn't mean AWS's systems don't monitor or track everything in a manner they can use to come up with a diagnosis of any issues.  AWS is only one of the oldest and largest cloud hosting solutions out there.  They've been in the game since 2006, and by now I'd assume that AWS knows what they are doing as far as providing the tools and information to their customers so the customers can manage their businesses. 

Edited by Quantum