Moving to the Cloud

JenaSalton

7 hours ago, SteveTheCynic said:

Yes, indeed.  They are taking down the French server (and only the French server) for six hours starting at 2pm French time on a French national public holiday.  Magnificent choice.

😞 It doesn’t surprise me considering the devs are in the US. I’m guessing they didn’t bother checking to see what was happening in France on the 15th Aug. It sounds like it was mostly an oversight. Still sucks though 😞

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Telden said:

I wonder how this will affect performance.  Well, I guess we're going to find out, like it or not.

For frames-per-second performance on your PC, almost certainly it will have no effect at all.  "Server lag" / "ping"?  Hard to say.  For some it will be worse, but for others it might be better.

25 minutes ago, LD_Little_Dragon said:

Still don't know where the cloud servers will be.  Will there be one location or multiple?  Good for Australia would be bad for Europe (and vice-versa).

for the EU servers i hope there move it away from Ireland and move it more to the center of the EU like belgum or so.

31 minutes ago, LD_Little_Dragon said:

Still don't know where the cloud servers will be.  Will there be one location or multiple?  Good for Australia would be bad for Europe (and vice-versa).

Does it really matter where the servers are at?  Ultimately players want low latency (<100 ms) so as long as one has a low latency connection and the server doesn't have any performance problems then game life is good, correct?

AWS has regions in Frankfurt, London, Paris, and Ireland so it's possible for a server that has transitioned to AWS will be homed in a country that matches the server's designated language.

4 hours ago, Char_Ell said:

Does it really matter where the servers are at?  Ultimately players want low latency (<100 ms) so as long as one has a low latency connection and the server doesn't have any performance problems then game life is good, correct?

AWS has regions in Frankfurt, London, Paris, and Ireland so it's possible for a server that has transitioned to AWS will be homed in a country that matches the server's designated language.

Yes, it matters.  I had 200 to 300 plus ping when they tested the AWS Australia server.   The cloud isn't some magic place where every place in the world will have the same latency.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, Char_Ell said:

I could go for Paris as a location.  I live about 150 miles / 240 km from Paris, that is, an hour on the train(1), and my normal traceroute time to sites hosted in Paris, like, say, whitehouse.gov(5), is about 7ms.  (SWTOR's server ping would obviously be a bit higher, because it's an application-level time, but ...)

(1) French high speed trains are actually, well, high speed.  The train from Lille to Paris can (just barely) outrun Joe Walsh's Maserati.(2)

(2) "My Maserati does one eighty-five. // I lost my license. Now I don't drive."  The TGV(3) from Lille to Paris is one of the slow ones, and can only do 300 km/h == 186 mph.(4)

(3) Train à Grande Vitesse == high speed train.

(4) The ultimate fast TGV is the V150, a specially-tuned trainset running on specially-tuned track, which managed half the speed of sound.

(5) I'm joking here.  whitehouse.gov is hosted on somebody's CDN, I think Akamai, and so it's available "locally" wherever you are, but when I did a traceroute to it, my packets went to Paris.

21 hours ago, Char_Ell said:

it does matter at all.

and this is something also console players feel if there enter a server that is to far away.

if players from the EU join a US server from any game at all then the players from the EU need to make a long connection with the servers from the US so there is a big chance that you get lagg and thats really anoying since it can effect the game a lot alot.

same if US players join the EU servers there also get lagg and its effecting there game also.

the most servers from most of the game's that have a EU server so far i know are in Luxembourg.Belgium or are staying in the netherlands so the connection for the EU players are fine and get almost no lagg problems at all or get disconet from the servers.

if players from Australia are playing on the US servers then there see that the game is not fine to play since there need to deal with the lagg most of the time with a lot off other things like waiting longer for the loading screen.

the best way is to see if it matter where the servers are staying is to try it out.

i not know on what for server you are playing now but try is to play on the other server like if you play now on the EU server join is for some time the US server and also vice versa then you will see it really matters at all where there are staying.

19 hours ago, LD_Little_Dragon said:

Yes, it matters.  I had 200 to 300 plus ping when they tested the AWS Australia server.   The cloud isn't some magic place where every place in the world will have the same latency.

Yes, the cloud is not some magic place where everybody has low latency but I think you missed the point.  A player shouldn't really care where their server is located so long as they have low latency connection and the server has good and reliable performance.  What I thought was an obvious assumption is that a player will pick the server with the best performance to play on instead of a lower performing server.  If a U.S. based player picked servers identified as being in Europe to play on when U.S. servers are available and have lower latency then that is the player choosing to play on a lower performing option when a better performing server option is available.

Maybe your question is really around whether or not the Leviathan server that is transitioning to AWS tomorrow will be moving from its current location in Ireland to somewhere else?  As far as I know the devs haven't said.  As I recall the devs didn't tell us about the 2017 server consolidation project's server location change for the western U.S. servers until the change was actually complete.  But hopefully the AWS version of the Leviathan server will perform better than the current server, or at the least have no performance drop off, for EU based players.

I don't think game in the cloud will change a lot for players who didn't have connexion issue.
I'm just waiting all servers in the cloud and see what dev will do with it and what will it bring to players concrely in Qol, better textures, animatins and...all other things.
Mabye they planned a lot since some month and decided to wait the aws servers to implement in the game... yeah, I still believe.. LOL

48 minutes ago, Char_Ell said:

But hopefully the AWS version of the Leviathan server will perform better than the current server, or at the least have no performance drop off, for EU based players.

One would hope that if they do move a language server from the current Ireland location, that it’s located closest to that language’s population centre. Ie, for Leviathan, it would be France, Belgium or Swiss. 

Edited by TrixxieTriss