The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Can we get free transfers off dead servers please?

StrikePrice

8 hours ago, TrixxieTriss said:

The new PvP season started this week. Have you noticed an uptick in numbers on SS?

Ive been watching the Steam numbers all week & there hasn’t been the uptick across the game that I was expecting. I guess we’ll see this weekend if the numbers are much higher than last weekend or not. And if they continue at their current drop rate, that would certainly be telling what players are feeling / thinking about things.

I was able to play arena and warzone much later than usual on Tuesday after the patch. Hit 1000 for the week and haven't tried since

Edited by Darkestmonty

3 minutes ago, Darkestmonty said:

I was able to play arena and warzone much later than usual on Tuesday after the patch. Hit 1000 for the week and haven't tried since

That’s to be expected with PvP seasons starting on the 18th. The real indicator is wether it brings more people back to the game or just gives people already playing something else to do. 

6 minutes ago, Darkestmonty said:

Yeah, if you jump on right now, you will get a WZ or Arena pop. Maybe 10-15 mins on average. 

Just now, TrixxieTriss said:

That’s to be expected with PvP seasons starting on the 18th. The real indicator is wether it brings more people back to the game or just gives people already playing something else to do. 

To me, a lot of that depends on the rewards. And this season, they are just not there. The only incentive is to play for tokens so you can get older season rewards. 

Edited by StrikePrice

6 hours ago, WayOfTheWarriorx said:

Just out of curiosity, what is the draw for playing on another server?

People like to be rewarded for playing and those little pop ups that say you have completed X achievement have a bit of a cathartic effect. It's also nice to play with less than a full Legacy if you want the game to be slightly more challenging (all of those datacrons and buffs add up, especially on the first few planets).

• Like 3

I transfered from SS to SF a few years ago because I already felt the wz pops on SS were dying even back then. I still play on SS for seasons and I haven't had any issues finding groups up until the last few weeks when most ppl had most likely already completed the track. And there has been over 100 ppl even on pub fleet on that server in prime time. So I think there's still a decent base. 

However I will say that the devs have kinda created a poison pill for galactic/pvp seasons. It definitely drives engagement, however once the grind is done, ppl start to dwindle. So either have an uptime of 100% on seasons or there's not a ton of reason to do any content...

I'll say it was encouraging to see the steam numbers jump like 30% when 7.3 dropped and I guess ppl returned for the story. And as soon as pvp seasons started the wz pops have been quick and there are a lot of matches going at the same time. So they are on the right track with the seasons but there still needs to be more to keep ppl around once they finish that grind. 

Edited by Samcuu
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, StrikePrice said:

To me, a lot of that depends on the rewards. And this season, they are just not there. The only incentive is to play for tokens so you can get older season rewards

But if you already have those, there is even less incentive because BW/BS still haven’t addressed the glaring issues that have made PvP less fun since 7.2 launched PvP seasons.

That means if they don’t keep providing the absolute best rewards, then less & less people will come back to PvP.

Where if they’d addressed the issues early on, people doing PvP seasons would have actually been having fun & the rewards would be less relevant to keeping them playing now, especially between seasons. 

I’ve said since 7.2 launched that it’s a great idea with great potential to expose people to PvP. But only if BioWare fixed the issues early on. Otherwise it will ultimately fail in the long run at getting people to play PvP for fun, like we used to do 😞

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Samcuu said:

I'll say it was encouraging to see the steam numbers jump like 30% when 7.3 dropped and I guess ppl returned for the story

But since then it’s dropped again and we are currently at pre 7.3 numbers again & falling. Really hoping this weekend will show an uptick & not continue the downward trajectory of the last 4 weekends 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TrixxieTriss said:

But if you already have those, there is even less incentive because BW/BS still haven’t addressed the glaring issues that have made PvP less fun since 7.2 launched PvP seasons.

That means if they don’t keep providing the absolute best rewards, then less & less people will come back to PvP.

Where if they’d addressed the issues early on, people doing PvP seasons would have actually been having fun & the rewards would be less relevant to keeping them playing now, especially between seasons. 

I’ve said since 7.2 launched that it’s a great idea with great potential to expose people to PvP. But only if BioWare fixed the issues early on. Otherwise it will ultimately fail in the long run at getting people to play PvP for fun, like we used to do 😞

It is my honest belief that they just want PvP to go away. 

6 minutes ago, StrikePrice said:

It is my honest belief that they just want PvP to go away. 

While I can see why you’d say that. If that was really the case, they wouldn’t have spent valuable resources making 7.2 in the first place or the changes & continued tweaks to the medal system.

The simplest answer is their pride won’t allow them to walk back bad development ideas. So they’d rather go down with the ship than admitting they’ve made mistakes with their system. 

Edited by TrixxieTriss
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, StrikePrice said:

Yeah, if you jump on right now, you will get a WZ or Arena pop. Maybe 10-15 mins on average. 

Really? Was literally just playing and I missed two wzs in a row because I queued and walked away from the screen for 1 minute. The 3rd wz popped in like 5 minutes after I missed the first two...so idk bruh. 

4 minutes ago, Samcuu said:

Really? Was literally just playing and I missed two wzs in a row because I queued and walked away from the screen for 1 minute. The 3rd wz popped in like 5 minutes after I missed the first two...so idk bruh. 

It might depend on what queue you’re in & if you’re in a pre-made or not.

As an example, if you’re in lowbies, traditionally it’s probably a longer pop time. 

Just now, TrixxieTriss said:

It might depend on what queue you’re in & if you’re in a pre-made or not.

As an example, if you’re in lowbies, traditionally it’s probably a longer pop time. 

And server matters too. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, DWho said:

People like to be rewarded for playing and those little pop ups that say you have completed X achievement have a bit of a cathartic effect. It's also nice to play with less than a full Legacy if you want the game to be slightly more challenging (all of those datacrons and buffs add up, especially on the first few planets).

Gotcha. I can see that And you're right, it really is nice when you see that achievement pop up, especially when it was a hidden achievement.

There's also a lot of achievement hounds out here, and if that's your thing, and they start to dry up over an extended amount of time playing on a server, sure, going to another server to get your 'rush' makes perfect sense.

Thanks for the reply, it was always something I was a bit curious about.

I've always felt nothing kills the enjoyment of game more than not having much to work towards or fulfill.  Carrots hanging from the end of sticks is kinda the life's blood of these kinds of games.

12 hours ago, TrixxieTriss said:

You can gain more free CC’s for doing first’s on your legacy. Plus more CC rewards per account from Galactic Season rewards. CC’s are the only account wide currency. 

That is very nice. Free CC's is always something nice to be able to work towards. Right up there with gear.

Edited by WayOfTheWarriorx

One correction. They are different Legacy names for different servers. At least mine all have different Legacy names.

Some stuff is account wide (stuff unlocked from cartel market for instance), and some stuff can be unlocked (legacy achievements such as datacrons) by transferring a character from one server to another but that costs 1000 cartel coins a pop. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, WayOfTheWarriorx said:

I've always felt nothing kills the enjoyment of game more than not having much to work towards or fulfill.  Carrots hanging from the end of sticks is kinda the life's blood of these kinds of games.

That is very nice. Free CC's is always something nice to be able to work towards. Right up there with gear.

That's why I was gutted when they took away conquest - I didn't care about the rewards (they usually got deconstructed for bits anyway), but it was the actual progression of that conquest level bar that kept me logging back in each day.  Having something to work towards is key for me (especially as a story only player, it was pretty much the only progression-based thing I had).  It's why I left for over a year after 7.0 dropped.

Achievements don't mean jack to me either, but I do enjoy the challenge of a new character on a new server. It's like starting the game again completely from new.  It also gives me the chance to make different choices, to do things differently and see how things pan out.  Also to try new classes, different combat styles (on one server, my troopers, gunslingers and agents are all snipers - my favourite tech class), genders (to see the difference in stories and options), and different light/dark side options.  Not having access to everything on your existing legacy makes things.....interesting ;)

Don't really know about the free CCs - probably because I'm not achievement-driven (in game, that is), so I don't notice.

• Like 1

One thing that sort of worries me. I did the Coruscant Heroics for one of the Galactic Seasons this week on Coruscant at 5 PM on a Saturday - weekend. (had to do 8 missions & it counts bonus as missions and each heroic has a bonus). Prime time. On Star Forge. The most populated server.  I had absolutely no problem doing the bonus (kill 15 mobs) in Black Sun heroic. Either they made the gen increase (unlikely as I didn't see anyone else playing it), or they've lost some serious population. 

6 minutes ago, Shayddow said:

One correction. They are different Legacy names for different servers. At least mine all have different Legacy names.

Some stuff is account wide (stuff unlocked from cartel market for instance), and some stuff can be unlocked (legacy achievements such as datacrons) by transferring a character from one server to another but that costs 1000 cartel coins a pop. 

My legacies have exactly the same name across all four servers - keeps things easy if they ever do another server merge :)

1 minute ago, Shayddow said:

Account wide CC unlocks are the only thing that’s shared on every server. Everything else is locked per server.

The only way to unlock them is to either do them or transfer a character over (Transferring negates opening them. So you don’t get free CC’s for doing server firsts on another server).

It doesn’t matter if you use the same legacy name or not. You’ve never been able to share resources or items across servers. 

2 minutes ago, TziganeNZ said:

Don't really know about the free CCs - probably because I'm not achievement-driven (in game, that is), so I don't notice.

It doesn’t always tell you. Especially when it’s only 10, 20, 50 or 100 CC’s. The only way to really check is to look at your CC’s through the website account login. That actually tracks when you receive CC’s & when you use them. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TziganeNZ said:

That's why I was gutted when they took away conquest - I didn't care about the rewards (they usually got deconstructed for bits anyway), but it was the actual progression of that conquest level bar that kept me logging back in each day.  Having something to work towards is key for me (especially as a story only player, it was pretty much the only progression-based thing I had).  It's why I left for over a year after 7.0 dropped.

We all have our little nitche's, the things that we enjoy and the goals we set. That's why I feel it's important for them to have consideration for all aspects of the game, because what matters to players isn't always the same, but for players, what matters to them is often the determining factor as to whether they continue to stick around and play the game. Sorry they spoiled that for you. =(

1 hour ago, TziganeNZ said:

Achievements don't mean jack to me either, but I do enjoy the challenge of a new character on a new server. It's like starting the game again completely from new.

I'm by no means a completionist.  I'm not really all that big on achievements in general, but in the aspects of the game that are important to me,  end game, they sometimes do because sometimes they come with titles that demonstrait that you were able to beat a certain boss at a certain level of difficulty and even at times how fast you were able to do it (a.k.a. speed runs). Stuff like that can matter to a raider.

Also the same for PVP, they're are some achievements that come with titles that let people know what you were able to accomplish. So some ranked titles and a title called Manhunter (You get that when you've killed 50,000 other players in PVP), they were things I wanted.

But that's pretty much the extent of my interest in achievements.  But for others there are other things that might matter to other players, and if they do, I can see why the achievements related to those other things might be very fulfilling for them to get.

Edited by WayOfTheWarriorx
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, TziganeNZ said:

The free CCs come from a relatively small fraction of achievements, especially stuff linked to origin story completion, but in any case, the  other thing that makes noticing them difficult is that none of the CC rewards for achievements are more than 20 CCs.

9 hours ago, Shayddow said:

One thing that sort of worries me. I did the Coruscant Heroics for one of the Galactic Seasons this week on Coruscant at 5 PM on a Saturday - weekend. (had to do 8 missions & it counts bonus as missions and each heroic has a bonus). Prime time. On Star Forge. The most populated server.  I had absolutely no problem doing the bonus (kill 15 mobs) in Black Sun heroic. Either they made the gen increase (unlikely as I didn't see anyone else playing it), or they've lost some serious population. 

I play on SF.  There are many times I get to the area you are talking about and have multiple people there trying to be the first to get the mobs either for the drop needed to advance the heroic or for the bonus.  This happens at all times of the day.  It just varies and sometimes on if you are in an instance with very few people. 

On 7/21/2023 at 3:06 PM, WayOfTheWarriorx said:

Point being, genius, not "Every person that enjoys the MULTIPLAYER aspect of any MMO wants megaservers."

Doesn't matter the reasons, it's an objectively false statement.

Tons of people who enjoy Multiplayer aspects of MMOs DON'T want Megaservers.

So you tried to argument your points, they were shown to be pointless, and now it doesn't matter?

Right.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eckrond said:

So you tried to argument your points, they were shown to be pointless, and now it doesn't matter?

Right.

The, "I play MMOs but hate seeing other people." is bit of an oxymoron. And not sure why anyone should think an MMO should cater to their needs of being empty versus others players needs of actually being "Massive Multiplayer".

At least on SF there are options like either dropping down to a lesser populated instance (when available) or dropping down to a PvP instance (when available). On no server will you be able to play the whole game without seeing others or running into random people also doing the same missions.

Excluding the first starter worlds, it is pretty rare, even on SF, to run into so many people you are waiting more than 30 seconds for something to respawn.

Edited by Darkestmonty