Game Launcher issue

1 minute ago, OwenBrooks said:

Yes you can do that at present but if the backend updates with a patch you will have problems

Thanks for trying the , can eliminate that as a workable solution 

Got another posted - So when you log in, right after you type your password...press enter on your keyboard instead of clicking with your mouse.

Hmm...OK. I'll log out. I remember this happened to me intermittently a few months ago and just resolved itself after an hour or so, and I put it out of my mind. This seems to be taking longer though.

3 minutes ago, JackieKo said:

@Bale Hi again, just to reiterate, the team looking into the launcher is asking for the file that is typically located here -  C:\Users\YOUR_USERNAME\AppData\LocalLow\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic Launcher 

They can hold onto the DxDiag report you sent, but they are requesting the specific file above. Thanks! 

Okay, I've sent that file as well. The email hadn't mentioned it, but I see you did above. Apologies for the confusion there.

2 minutes ago, Bale said:

Okay, I've sent that file as well. The email hadn't mentioned it, but I see you did above. Apologies for the confusion there.

try setting to window mode , signs of another issue is stuck at initial loading screen and/or immediate crash on pressing play, so you may have more then one thing going on at present 

Mind i am going now its after midnight here :)

try setting to window mode , signs of another issue is stuck at initial loading screen and/or immediate crash on pressing play, so you may have more then one thing going on at present 

Mind i am going now its after midnight here :)

I appreciate the help. I can't get far enough to set to windowed mode just yet. Working on altering that ini file to hopefully moving a step or two forward, though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bale said:

I appreciate the help. I can't get far enough to set to windowed mode just yet. Working on altering that ini file to hopefully moving a step or two forward, though.

if you still get stuck make a post at https://answers.ea.com/t5/General-Discussion-Technical/bd-p/star-wars-the-old-republic-en  I will see it tomorrow , i dont always comb the forum here :)

if you still get stuck make a post at https://answers.ea.com/t5/General-Discussion-Technical/bd-p/star-wars-the-old-republic-en  I will see it tomorrow , i dont always comb the forum here :)

The ini file adjustment fixed my aspect ratio, but it's still crashing immediately. I see a flash of the loading screen and then it's gone. I'll keep working through the possible fixes in that link and if none of them work, I'll post a thread at the answers.ea.com link. Thanks. Get some rest!

On the second email, support told me to totally uninstall and reinstall the game.
I uninstalled it, no problem.

When I went to SWTOR.com to reinstall it, there is a "Play Now" button.
I'm logged in, but it doesn't take me anywhere to reinstall the game.
It would be nice if that page had more than just a video ad.
At the top right, there's a little button that will sell a subscription, but that's not intuitive if you just want a fresh download.

Please add a link to https://account.swtor.com/user/games for people who are logged in?

When I launched the installer, the start screen flashed an icon like two arrows forming a circle and said: "There are no items available."

I rebooted and re-launched the launcher, and then I was able to play.

As for the reinstall, I SpeedTest at 935 Mbps download speed.  It downloaded at around 70 MB/s.  Not bad.

It would have been really helpful if the email told me how to back up my settings.
It's going to take a long time to get the UI and other things right again.
Perhaps add that to the script?

EDIT: The reinstall let me launch and play twice.  Then it stopped working again.

Edited by Xina_LA

I got mine to work!

The solution that got my game to launch properly appears to have been reinstalling DirectX with the file linked on this page: https://answers.ea.com/t5/General-Discussion-Technical/Guide-Game-failing-to-launch-on-Clicking-Play/m-p/4809830/highlight/true#M70795 (provided earlier in this thread by Owen).

I also altered the ini file as instructed, so it may have been a combination of those two things.

If you are trying to install the DirectX file, it's a little misleading. It asks you for a directory but doesn't suggest one like most installation utilities will. That's because you're not installing it yet at that point. It's asking you for a place to extract the files it will need to run that utility. So you can create a temporary folder in your download folder to place them in. Then it will extract the files and you can run the exe file it unpacks to actually install the update.

Hope that helps others!

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Bale said:

I got mine to work!

See if that keeps working?  Every fix I tried worked for a launch or two, then it went right back to broken.  Even a full reinstall didn't fix it for long.

Hopefully they'll fix this.  New players should be able to do a fresh install and enjoy the game, without playing with config files.

Edited by Xina_LA

Just now, Xina_LA said:

See if that keeps working?  Every fix I tried worked for a launch or two, then it went right back to broken.  Even a full reinstall didn't fix it for long.

If it stops working, I'll be sure to update here.

8 hours ago, Xina_LA said:

Hopefully they'll fix this.  New players should be able to do a fresh install and enjoy the game, without playing with config files.

What antivirus are you using ? and has the swtor folder been excluded ? only reason i ask is last time i saw an issue with the launcher that only lasted one game launch ok each time was due to an antivirus called bitdefender, the only way to tell in that case for sure was to delete Bitdefender and swtor behaved every time.

8 hours ago, Bale said:

I got mine to work!

The solution that got my game to launch properly appears to have been reinstalling DirectX with the file linked on this page: https://answers.ea.com/t5/General-Discussion-Technical/Guide-Game-failing-to-launch-on-Clicking-Play/m-p/4809830/highlight/true#M70795 (provided earlier in this thread by Owen).

I also altered the ini file as instructed, so it may have been a combination of those two things.

If you are trying to install the DirectX file, it's a little misleading. It asks you for a directory but doesn't suggest one like most installation utilities will. That's because you're not installing it yet at that point. It's asking you for a place to extract the files it will need to run that utility. So you can create a temporary folder in your download folder to place them in. Then it will extract the files and you can run the exe file it unpacks to actually install the update.

Hope that helps others!

interesting directx helped as well , there are 2 file links floating around , the one support posted does as you say, it extracts files and needs to be installed, the file link https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/confirmation.aspx?id=35  shouldnt do this, it will auto run and install if anything is needed

Edited by OwenBrooks

On 6/29/2023 at 7:56 PM, OwenBrooks said:

interesting directx helped as well , there are 2 file links floating around , the one support posted does as you say, it extracts files and needs to be installed, the file link https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/confirmation.aspx?id=35  shouldnt do this, it will auto run and install if anything is needed

I played until 9:30 eastern tonight, then logged out for a while. When I logged back in, there was a 30+ GB patch and now I'm getting the "your current game version does not match" message again.

1. Weird time for such a large patch.

2. The work around of simply ignoring the pop up and clicking play on the character I wanted to play got me in game just fine. So I'm not going to mess with anything this time around.

But I wanted to let you know that whatever you guys pushed out in that patch tonight caused this issue to pop back up. Last time I tried trouble shooting and ended up in the mess I was in when you first hopped into this thread where I couldn't get the game to launch. As long as I can get in game, I'm gonna just use the work around and leave it be. Hopefully whatever is causing the game not matching issue will be resolved soon.

Poking around the forums I saw that there was a mention of something similar happing to another user and that he logged out, then logged back in and it downloaded one additional small patch and the game ran fine. I quit, restarted the launcher, and had a 3+ GB patch. Let it install, but still got the popup. I quit and relaunched again, and it's another 35 GB patch. So SWTOR has downloaded over 70 GB of patches tonight. Is that supposed to have happened?

Edit: And that second 35 GB patch did not fix the popup issue.

Edited by Bale
Added information.

"your current game does not match the servers, Please restart the game" contact support for help. OK"

I got this message as well since yesterday. However, I was able to ignore the message and play my chars. I had just started the launcher again and a very small patch was installed, after which the message no longer appeared.👍

Yeah, I seem to be in a weird patching loop. Sort of. Every time I launch the game, a patch downloads. It alternates between a 35 GB patch and a 3 GB one. Regardless of which of the two patches I've downloaded most recently, the folder with all my swtor files stays the same size, and the "game does not match" message is still there at login. And I can continue to ignore it and play normally. Just weird that these two patches keep downloading like this.

And to be clear, it only downloads one of the two per opening of the launcher. So this more recent time, I got the 3 GB patch. The previous time I started the launcher (last night) it was the 35 GB patch. Strange.

• Dev Post

Hi all, 

The team overseeing the launcher issue is still looking into this, but know that this is a top priority for them. When we have more info, I'll post an update here. So keep an eye on that thread or the dev tracker. 

Thanks

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

In addition to the well-known loops, this problem seems to come from the launcher. there is no way (reinstall, change languages, etc.) to fix this from our side.
This message has been displayed since yesterday and this morning after a small update for the launcher it was gone again. then logged in later in the day, downloaded another update for the launcher and it was back. there are currently massive server delays, which can also be due to the network in general.

https://share-your-photo.com/img/93e0d8c92c.jpg

The message can be ignored by simply clicking on the respective character to be played as usual.

Edited by Sylvannai

I get this r.t.rded bug 6th or 7th time i gave up fixing it. Everytime i lauch game it acts like downloading something while not actually downloading sometimes 100mb sometime 37gb and if i had the issue previously it is gone but if i didnt have warning before now i get warning. What joke of a dev team how can you mess things everytime and how cant you fix bugs like this for weeks. Hey guys we are changing launcher so you can have better batch downloads and makes everything worse. Why did you even bother making patch download 5 sec faster when you barely do any major patch maybe once a year.

3 hours ago, omeru said:

I get this r.t.rded bug 6th or 7th time i gave up fixing it. Everytime i lauch game it acts like downloading something while not actually downloading sometimes 100mb sometime 37gb and if i had the issue previously it is gone but if i didnt have warning before now i get warning. What joke of a dev team how can you mess things everytime and how cant you fix bugs like this for weeks. Hey guys we are changing launcher so you can have better batch downloads and makes everything worse. Why did you even bother making patch download 5 sec faster when you barely do any major patch maybe once a year.

Out of curiosity, because it is working for me, do you have access to a VPN to see if using a VPN, before you open the launcher, will work for you?   (and anyone else who has one and wants to try)

4 hours ago, Darev said:

Out of curiosity, because it is working for me, do you have access to a VPN to see if using a VPN, before you open the launcher, will work for you?   (and anyone else who has one and wants to try)

I dont have a vpn, my work around these kind of problems learning to live swtor devs incompetence. As long as you dont click error message game works fine but it is annoying to see it there all the times. I am sure there are many people who doesnt know you can ignore it and click it and close the game. I dont think this kind of bugs should take this long to fix.