Transition from Subscriber to Preferred

Takanudo

I am getting ready to end my subscription for the first time since launch.  I moved all my credits from all my characters to my legacy bank so that all my characters have less than 1,000,000 credits on hand.  I have also gone through and selected the loadout for each character that I want them to keep.  For those of you who have also gone through this, do you have any other tips or suggestions to make the process smooth?

Thanks in advance.

basicly make sure you have the following account wide unlocks: artifact authorization to be able to equip gear and tacticals, section x for that daily area and hk-51, crew skill slot cuz you only get 2 , the unlock for titles, legacy titles, hide headslot, sync colors to chest piece, guildbank acces 2-3 inventory modules, cargo bay unlocks and maybe couple server slots.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, SteveTheCynic said:

And remember that this does not give you access to the *credits* in the guild bank, neither to withdraw *nor* to deposit.

yup that one is true, you can only take 1 item out with permission. kinda a pointless unlock when you cant even use most of  its functions lol

1 hour ago, elimatorxv said:

basicly make sure you have the following account wide unlocks: artifact authorization to be able to equip gear and tacticals, section x for that daily area and hk-51, crew skill slot cuz you only get 2 , the unlock for titles, legacy titles, hide headslot, sync colors to chest piece, guildbank acces 2-3 inventory modules, cargo bay unlocks and maybe couple server slots.

Just so I'm clear, is there something specific I need to do for artifact authorization?  I currently have all my characters geared up to level 336 protype mods from the Hyde and Zeek vendor, tactical, and 336 Supreme Decurion ear pieces and relics, and 334 implants.  Its probably too late for me to unlock the 336 artifact Hyde and Zeek option.

All my characters have HK-51.  I know I can access section x on my main.  I'll confirm that on the rest of my characters.

All my characters have a title and legacy title set.

All my characters currently have 3 crew skill slots.  Will SWTOR just pick one at random to remove?

I think I have all the cargo bays unlocked, but I'll check.

Thanks for the tips.

Edited by Takanudo

5 hours ago, Takanudo said:

Just so I'm clear, is there something specific I need to do for artifact authorization?  I currently have all my characters geared up to level 336 protype mods from the Hyde and Zeek vendor, tactical, and 336 Supreme Decurion ear pieces and relics, and 334 implants.  Its probably too late for me to unlock the 336 artifact Hyde and Zeek option.

All my characters have HK-51.  I know I can access section x on my main.  I'll confirm that on the rest of my characters.

All my characters currently have 3 crew skill slots.  Will SWTOR just pick one at random to remove?

Thanks for the tips.

When you go pref, the artifact gears you are wearing will stay on, but you won't be able to equip them once you remove it from the slot.

You'll have 3 crew skills but can only do 1 at the time iirc. Your crew skills won't be removed so you will be keeping all the lv progress.

PS: if you want to stay pref for multiple times (indefinitely) getting the account-wide artifact authorization is probably worth it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, eabevella said:

When you go pref, the artifact gears you are wearing will stay on, but you won't be able to equip them once you remove it from the slot.

You'll have 3 crew skills but can only do 1 at the time iirc. Your crew skills won't be removed so you will be keeping all the lv progress.

PS: if you want to stay pref for multiple times (indefinitely) getting the account-wide artifact authorization is probably worth it.

So buy the unlock now?

12 hours ago, Takanudo said:

Thanks for the tips.

all gear you have on your characters can be used for now and ever since its unlocked but any new gear like purple you wont be able to use, same goes for tacticals old tacticals that you have equiped can be used but new ones cant.

yes all character that have hk-51 will keep him but any characters you create when prefered wont have acces to section x unless you have the unlock for it.

you will be forced to remove 1 crew skill yourself per character doesnt matter which one unless offcourse you use a account wide crew skill slot unlock so that all your characters have 3 crew skills.

• Like 1

If you have the credits, buy artifact authorization now. And make sure is the account one. See if someone have one to sell in chat. If not, you will be forced to use CCs.

Without it you won't be able to use purple gear, purple enhancements, not even mission discoveries for crew skills. Not to mention gold implants, if you decide to change you will be out of luck. Purple com gift? i can't remember (just in case, push any comp you wish to 50 now).

And don't forget, you may be confortable for the moment with your gear, but if they release 338/340 to the masses and that is purple/gold you will be out of it. I played for a moment 6.X as preferred before buying the unlock, it was pure torture.

I would also advice, if you have the spare credits, to unlock everything in character/legacy perks you haven't already; several of those got beyond 1 mill.

After that, save credits (for if you resub), maybe get some cartel packs (just to not have all eggs in the same basket)

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Balameb said:

If you have the credits, buy artifact authorization now. And make sure is the account one. See if someone have one to sell in chat. If not, you will be forced to use CCs.

Without it you won't be able to use purple gear, purple enhancements, not even mission discoveries for crew skills. Not to mention gold implants, if you decide to change you will be out of luck. Purple com gift? i can't remember (just in case, push any comp you wish to 50 now).

And don't forget, you may be confortable for the moment with your gear, but if they release 338/340 to the masses and that is purple/gold you will be out of it. I played for a moment 6.X as preferred before buying the unlock, it was pure torture.

I would also advice, if you have the spare credits, to unlock everything in character/legacy perks you haven't already; several of those got beyond 1 mill.

After that, save credits (for if you resub), maybe get some cartel packs (just to not have all eggs in the same basket)

purple compagnions gifts arent affected so those are purchaseable by f2p and prefered

but yeah rest of the advice is solid, SAVE every credit in your legacy storage might be annoying but it is how i managed to save up 3 bil before subbing a few times

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TonyTricicolo said:

Is there any mention on how subscriptions will work when Broadsword takes over? Will they honor the current F2p/preferred/sub model?

Based on Keith's most recent post, it sounds like all the account systems will be the same. We will still use swtor.com. EA will still be the publisher and handle all billing like now. Most of the SWTOR staff will remain and keep working on SWTOR, except they will be employed by Broadsword instead of Bioware. Development will probably slow for a few months while the team gets setup in their new offices. Of course, things could change over time, but during the immediate transition, I think everything's pretty much going to be the same.

Edited by ThanderSnB
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Balameb said:

I see.  So these are Cartel Market unlocks that I can either buy for CC or maybe off the GTN for credits.

Thanks everyone.  This has been great advice.

12 hours ago, eabevella said:

The account wise unlock is pretty expensive. I'd say go pref and see if not able to equip those gears annoy/disconvinient you a lot.

I got the CCs... I don't ever use them lol.

But I see what you are saying.  I don't really change gear anyway.

On 6/22/2023 at 12:39 PM, eabevella said:

The gear in your inventory stays completely usable, it is authorized by previous subscription. The only thing you can't do is putting these items into your legacy storage or send them to another character via mail, that removes the authorization. 

Edited by Codename_Force
  • Like 1

I haven't read the thread, so sorry if these are repeat suggestions, but I am planning to unsub, too, soon (mostly due to the QT travel. I just HATE that and find that I just don't play as much as I used to when it was free; I don't even WANT to play as much anymore. Since I refuse to pay 5K to quick travel on starter planets--or almost anywhere--it just takes too much time to QT to a nearby taxi then taxi to where the QT point I really want to be at. Most ridiculous of all, it's CHEAPER to QT on Ruhnuk on a lvl 80 toon/planet than it is to take a taxi. So borked.).

Oops, sorry, climbing off indignant soapbox to address your question.

Unlock everything you can before you unsub: crew skills (if you craft), extra quick bars, extra storage, extra character slots (if you want to run more than the number allowed), head slot (if you want to hide your head armors), and etc.

Think about what is not available any longer. For example, hiding head armors. Pick out and equip "hidden" armors like the mic or sunglasses, goggles, or covert energy armor, before you unsub. Make sure that your toons' armors are all how you want them in terms of dyes (you lose the ability to unify colors at pref, I think).

If you are into endgame content, keep in mind that you can't level past (I think) 65 or maybe 70 on preferred, so think about which toons you want to super twins power activate when your toons are locked out. I'm only planning to run my 80s (then maybe resub for a second when they raise the level cap again).

I'm not clear on what happens to our toons who are equipped already with gear that is not available to preferred, but I guess I'll find out.

Edited by TahliahCOH
  • Like 1