"You cannot travel to a stronghold from this area"

Shayddow

This happened to me last night - character in the Nikto sector of Nar Shaada (I think - somewhere on NS), wanted to pop back to a stronghold to get mail or something out of the legacy storage, got the unable to travel to SH message.  Stumped up the creds to QT to the taxi pad - still couldn't travel to SH.  Got a bit curious as to how far the block went so wandered about a bit - nowhere could I travel to a SH.  Got grumpy and used my emergency fleet pass, which was not what I wanted to do as I then had to go the long way back to NS.

Edited by TziganeNZ

17 hours ago, DWho said:

The locations themselves are not random, in fact they are very specific. In all three cases listed here so far they are locations where the majority of players would want to use return to stronghold instead of quick travel to a taxi point (these areas are typically where you finish a daily, open world heroic, world boss, or similar mission where you don't need to return to a quest giver).

[/snip]

The "workaround" is no more an exploit than using heroic transports (or the daily mission from the activities menu) to jump from planet to planet without paying travel costs is (same as it was before the last update). Is doing the planetary daily missions (or not doing them) an exploit?

Nice willful misinterpretation.

I said "seemingly-random" because I don't experience the travel block at every daily/world boss/etc. completion/turn-in location.

I'm still not sure what workaround you're talking about. Without that knowledge--and since you've gone to pains not to elaborate--I made a guess. You came back with snark, so I'm not inclined to pay further attention to you.

Have a nice day.

In the interest of a more comprehensive bug report, I offer the following information.

I became aware of this bug after the 7.3 patch. I'd traveled to Impside Tatooine (Mos Ila) to do some heroics, but before I did more than pick them up from the terminal, someone asked me to come raid. Normally, I would jump to stronghold, drop off my gear, and relog to the toon I needed, but I received red text: "You cannot travel to a stronghold from this area."

This morning I went back and mapped out the no-stronghold-travel blocks in Mos Ila. (Image)

Within the red blocks, you cannot travel to stronghold, but all other priority transport and quicktravel works. A quick check showed that (impside) Alderaan, Balmorra, Belsavis, Corellia, Dromund Kaas, Nar Shaddaa, and Taris do not have a similar stronghold travel block outside the heroic terminal. I did not explore those landing zone cities thoroughly to see if there was a stronghold block elsewhere.
-
Edit: On the Subject of World Bosses and Stronghold Blocks
Of the vanilla world bosses, only Gargath and Lucky's zones prevent travel to stronghold, and Lucky's anti-stronghold zone is much smaller.

The zones for The First, SD-0, Subject Alpha, Grandfather, Battledroid R4-GL, Trapjaw, Ulgo Siegebreaker, The Ancient One, Rogue Cartel Warbot, Snowblind, The Primal Destroyer, and The Nightmare Pilgrim do NOT have this anti-stronghold bug.

Edited by Crystal_Mind
Adding World Boss Information

10 minutes ago, Crystal_Mind said:

In the interest of a more comprehensive bug report, I offer the following information.

I became aware of this bug after the 7.3 patch. I'd traveled to Impside Tatooine (Mos Ila) to do some heroics, but before I did more than pick them up from the terminal, someone asked me to come raid. Normally, I would jump to stronghold, drop off my gear, and relog to the toon I needed, but I received red text: "You cannot travel to a stronghold from this area."

This morning I went back and mapped out the no-stronghold-travel blocks in Mos Ila. (Image)

Within the red blocks, you cannot travel to stronghold, but all other priority transport and quicktravel works. A quick check showed that (impside) Alderaan, Balmorra, Belsavis, Corellia, Dromund Kaas, Nar Shaddaa, and Taris do not have a similar stronghold travel block outside the heroic terminal. I did not explore those landing zone cities thoroughly to see if there was a stronghold block elsewhere.

That's a weird bug, and I don't think it's deliberate.  I can go all conspiracy theory and suggest that it's a way to get more players to buy the field legacy bank perk, but that's a bit ridiculous.

I just don't get why it only affects travel to strongold and not qt or travel to ship.   Spaghetti code is spaghetti code.

1 hour ago, Crystal_Mind said:

I'm still not sure what workaround you're talking about. Without that knowledge--and since you've gone to pains not to elaborate--I made a guess. You came back with snark, so I'm not inclined to pay further attention to you.

It's very simple. Heroic transports (and the Activity Panel Daily Mission) have no travel costs associated with them at all. You can travel to any planet with a daily mission (or any mission that includes a "heroic transport" at no cost from anywhere including your stronghold after to port there from anywhere.

This is happening to me as well. Not in a rest area, just open world, "You cannot travel to a stronghold from this area" and I'm outside, even in some cases the middle of nowhere.

As I write this I just left the cantina on Voss.  I really am outside, not even in the doorway. I cross the bridge to get a taxi and now I can get to the stronghold. This is just annoying

20 hours ago, Nolanluck said:

I kept getting this message on Nar Shaddaa. I finally went to the Stronghold Directory and received the same message. I can't travel to my stronghold from the Directory???

Yeah, Nar Shaddaa is REALLY bad for this.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, QA_Droid said:

Hello, we are aware of this issue and the team is working on a fix to be deployed in a future update.

Nice to see a new *beep boop* droid ---errr i mean--- Broadsword helper finally posting again here in this section.

Players always appreciate official  acknowledgements & informations, so THANKS much! :csw_r2d2:

Edited by Nee-Elder
Reason: more intel is better than the void

1 hour ago, Whykara said:

ChatGPT is the new community manager.

@JackieKo is still listed as the Community Manager. ( yes i realize you were probably joking, but others might not )

'QA_Droid'  ( Quality Assurance droid ) is a completely separate position and has actually been around before , but not since like 3 or 4 years ago.

1 hour ago, Brittaany_Banks said:

What is the point of restricting quick travel movement?

Well, first it's a BUG ( hence this thread ) .

Secondly, sometimes restrictions are placed upon areas  that are coded to be 'phased' ( for story quests ) or inherent travel areas already  like your personal ship hangar, for example.   Other times, such restrictions are placed upon PVP instances to avoid exploits or players getting stuck ( CSR tickets ) , such as within Warzones/Arenas.

Edited by Nee-Elder

4 hours ago, Nee-Elder said:

@JackieKo is still listed as the Community Manager. ( yes i realize you were probably joking, but others might not )

'QA_Droid'  ( Quality Assurance droid ) is a completely separate position and has actually been around before , but not since like 3 or 4 years ago.

Well, first it's a BUG ( hence this thread ) .

Secondly, sometimes restrictions are placed upon areas  that are coded to be 'phased' ( for story quests ) or inherent travel areas already  like your personal ship hangar, for example.   Other times, such restrictions are placed upon PVP instances to avoid exploits or players getting stuck ( CSR tickets ) , such as within Warzones/Arenas.

I understand not being able to quick travelfrom a pvp area or in combat, but there are plenty of instances areas that allow quick travel. I can quick travel from instance areas like heroics, flashpoints, and operations, and there are plenty of non instanced no travel areas in the game like non instanced starport areas.

It's just all not necessary except for the examples I already gave