Fighting Vaylin in Chapter 12: Visions in the dark (veteran mode)

ok, this fight has me stuck

I'm running it as a deception assassin, level 80, 335 item rating, full blues, 1 special implant, best tactical.

the fight itself feels buggy as hell, half the time the Energy Shield or medical backpack won't trigger or cannot be activated, even with both up, the damage output is absurd you can't stand close enough to hit her 90% of the time due to the red circles (which she spams), i can deal with the first 2 with  shroud and speed (unless she lifts me on the edge of the circle), can't seem to LoS her crush ability, and she break me fast even when i pop full CDs,

my best attempt was 50%, at which point i was out of CDs, had no shield or medpack left and she just lifted me on the edge of the last red circle and crushed me

i would be grateful for any help, and offcourse walkthrough that would help me understand what i am doing wrong

Edited by randprin
  • Like 2

• randprin changed the title to Fighting Vaylin in Chapter 12: Visions in the dark (veteran mode)

Yes, the fight is a buggy piece of ****. It took me a long time to do it on master years ago and I believe it felt earned enough. Bad design, but still achievable. Now with the alterations they've made, veteran mode is just as bad. Yet I could have completed the fight a dozen times already, but the temp abilities are simply greyed out. It's a big cheat, she has 10x your damage output and 5x your health, and your advantages are taken from you arbitrarily.

Swap talents around and take anything that adds more DR / self heals / possibly mobility. Use Life Warden, use a medpack, and 'prepot' the shield / hot while they still work before engaging.

Then it's just hit her when you can, run when you must while keeping dots / bleeds on her, if you get below 50% - use a medpack, if you make a big mistake / get really low - Life Warden should proc.

Specific to Deception I can't say, I ran it as Cons Ops, kept up kolto probes, kept up dots, hit her when she wasn't spamming circles, otherwise played keep away, Life Warden proced and while it was healing me, she died.

Like everything in Vet and MM, it is tuned to the absurd to force whacky cheese strats - for Vaylin without a comp its really all about getting as much damage in as possible in between her circle spam while using the temp abilities, med packs, talents and stuff like Life Warden to give yourself the ability to absorb / recover from the damage long enough to kill her.

Thank you all for the advice, with a bit more gear, Tank spec and Life warden i was able to get her down.

i still think the fight is grossly overtuned, especially without a companion, but at least it is doable.

use a dot spec,adrenals with absorb,and just run around using the ability that makes u still shoot as u run and every defensive passive u got,there is no timer so just run around flapping your arms like Big Bird and peck peck peck away.

• 4 months later...

Well, after my 50 or so attempt at defeating this crazy wretch, I FINALLY came out the victor.  I thought the Iknayid Spider was bad!!!  This took forever.  I am primarily a Trooper Operative, with a blaster rifle.  You pretty much NEED to keep moving at all times.  Staying put is where she gets her draining advantage to defeat you.  I did this repeatedly trying to use my shields which were basically useless.  Whenever the boulders stop falling, and causing you to move out of the way, keep blasting, and circling around her, and keep using your adrenaline and shield probes if you have them.  Do not get near any of the ledges that do down the rocky ramp. Don't stop moving.  She continues to regain ALL of her health resulting in your having to start the battle all over again.  I needed to find all my "buffs" (if that's the right term) to slowly keep regenerating my health and keep it in a place where I wasn't sent back to the medical center, LOL!  This was, by far, the longest hardest villain to defeat by far.  I almost gave up and threw in the proverbial towel.  It was tough!  But the saving grace in my victory is, that she had about 1/8th left on her health bar, and it ended with the cut scene of Marr and Satele Shan.   I can now breathe a sigh of relief.  This one was nearly impossible. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Yea I recall doing this a few years ago, and I admit it was tough; yet now it seems completely insane.  This is clearly bugged & they need to FIX this, not only in the fact her damage is severe; yet most abilities don't work (90%) of the time.  What's strange is you go outside to get a young sleen or bird, and they get scared off the minute you enter the cave.

Still the trick seems mostly to move as much as you can, and get out of the red right away.  Still this seems harder that I recall it was years ago...

Edited by Strathkin

• 3 weeks later...

Having this fight now on veteran, buggy as hell is an understatement.  even if you are outside the red circle it still damages you half the time.  I am all for a challenging fight but buggy mechanics are unacceptable.

Edit:  no matter what I do, speed buffs, mad dash WASD; I get hit with the spam circle damage every time even if I am out of the circle.  This is bull sh*t!

Edit2:  raging a bit here; WTF is the deal with this fight.  I started out immediately avoiding the floor circle damage but she hit me with some kind of force scream right away that took 3/4th of my health immediately with one hit.  I am geared at 340 and fully augmented.  How the F U C K can it be this unbeatable?  Because this is isn't a fight in which you can learn mechanics and avoid damage; you don't even have an opportunity to last long enough to do anything.  If the fight goes on longer than 2 minutes you can't win.  But if you try to focus all on damage you can't last more then a few seconds.  totally bogus.  

Edit3:  so I switched to story mode just for kicks and this fight is ridiculously easy on story mode.  Like she could not even get me beneath 80% of my health and I needed no buffs or heals.  How in the heal can they justify such a ridiculous difference between story and veteran mode.  WTF.  If that is not bad enough I wasn't paying attention and switched back to veteran to restart the fight not realizing this restarts the entire mission.  FML.

Edited by mcguireptr

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know what the deal is, but this is clearly unplayable on veteran. My GS is 334 with one legendary implant on hatred assassin. The fight is legitimately broken and I can't imagine how master would even be remotely possible. On story mode, I took 3% dmg. What is this?

went in because someone claimed that it was too difficult on master mode, not sure if they actually meant this specific fight, took me one try: prove

in the vid description there is prove its mm, i had no help and a date (got an achievement on accident)

gonna try the one on odessen next, I feel like that one is impossible but haven't even tried yet

Edited by ZUHFB