Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Launcher infinitely selfrestarting

Henyk

I'm having problems with the launcher also. With mine, the launcher opened but said it was looking for updates, then closed down. Now every time I click on it it won't open at all. I never had any problems with the old launcher, but ever since it was updated all I seem to have are problems. Not a happy bunny!!

2 hours ago, JackieKo said:

Hi everyone,

The team is also suggesting the following fix for this issue:

• Download the SWTOR installer from here
  • Run it and click on Repair. It should look like this 

image.thumb.png.8967d06ba11355b2f7abde8dbb41fff7.png

This should update the launcher directly. After the process is complete, open the launcher as normal. Please let us know if you continue to experience this issue after following the above steps.

Thanks!

Downloading the Installer from the link, running the Repair, did not correct my issues.  I also tried Remove, then Install

When launching the launcher now I get the following error on Windows 10 Pro 22H2.  The launcher appears in the system tray, but never opens then crashes out of the system tray.

Faulting application name: launcher.exe_Star Wars - The Old Republic Launcher, version: 6.1.2.80, time stamp: 0x63d3414e
Faulting module name: libcef.dll, version: 103.0.11.0, time stamp: 0x62bf8a9a
Exception code: 0x80000003
Fault offset: 0x06691afe
Faulting process id: 0x3a6c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d982a1bb754978
Faulting application path: E:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic\launcher.exe
Faulting module path: E:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic\libcef.dll
Report Id: 8c9db9e2-3343-417f-9529-c15a6e984554
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

EDIT: For me it is inconsistent whether I get the app log error with no screen error or the Host_WindowLoadTimeout on screen error but no app log error.

Edited by ValaraukarU
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, ValaraukarU said:

This also happened to me this morning.  Clicking the launcher results in a long delay followed by an error message "Host_WindowLoadTimeout". 

same here

What have you do Bioware ? 🤔

edit :

ok on wine, with fresh wine prefix (use symlink on swtor directory, no need to reinstall)

ok on windob

Edited by -Fabien-

1 hour ago, JackieKo said:

Hi everyone,

The team is also suggesting the following fix for this issue:

• Download the SWTOR installer from here
  • Run it and click on Repair. It should look like this 

image.thumb.png.8967d06ba11355b2f7abde8dbb41fff7.png

This should update the launcher directly. After the process is complete, open the launcher as normal. Please let us know if you continue to experience this issue after following the above steps.

Thanks!

I tried this and it didn't work. 😭

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Venturax said:

Solution:

as yesterday some players including me on my ops team we all had this issue, i manage to fix it for everyone really easy.

- First, make sure launcher isnt open on task manager.

- Go to the swtor folder, delete "Launcher.settings"

- Go to the swtor>retailclient> and delete: "retailclient.swtor.metafile.json"

- Go back to the default swtor folder, right click on the launcher there (don't use your swtor shortcut from desktop) right click and run as admin,. It will fix. 

let me know if this helped. :) 

Unfortunately, this also didn't work for me.

Getting "The login service is currently unavailable." message when trying to log in via launcher for 5 hours now.

All the regular troubleshooting tips haven't worked - still getting this message. Even the last resort - deinstalling the game and reinstalling the launcher hasn't worked.

Game worked perfectly fine before and I haven't changed anything on my side.

Hi, I had the same problem yesterday. Opening the launcher wouldn't start the game, it simply ran as a background process for a short time then just stopped (with no messages). I tried all the fixes suggested for similar issues (Win 8 compatibility, run as admin, check anti-virus permissions etc) and nothing worked, although sometimes it would seem to try and start, but fail with the Host_WindowLoadTimeout message (hopefully remembered that one correctly).

To fix I had to uninstall, reinstall using the download from the SWTOR site then, importantly (and weirdly), had to run the setup again, select repair (as shown in an a post above) AND change the language from English (I changed to French, not sure if that matters). It then repaired the install, loaded the launcher and started downloading the game.

(In case anyone's wondering, the language change didn't change the game into French, just the text within the repair tool, so remember which is the ok button :) ).

Hope this helps.

12 minutes ago, Eraisuth said:

Hi, I had the same problem yesterday. Opening the launcher wouldn't start the game, it simply ran as a background process for a short time then just stopped (with no messages). I tried all the fixes suggested for similar issues (Win 8 compatibility, run as admin, check anti-virus permissions etc) and nothing worked, although sometimes it would seem to try and start, but fail with the Host_WindowLoadTimeout message (hopefully remembered that one correctly).

To fix I had to uninstall, reinstall using the download from the SWTOR site then, importantly (and weirdly), had to run the setup again, select repair (as shown in an a post above) AND change the language from English (I changed to French, not sure if that matters). It then repaired the install, loaded the launcher and started downloading the game.

(In case anyone's wondering, the language change didn't change the game into French, just the text within the repair tool, so remember which is the ok button :) ).

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the tips.  Unfortunately this still did not work for me.  

14 minutes ago, ValaraukarU said:

Thanks for the tips.  Unfortunately this still did not work for me.  

I did find I am getting a log at: AppData\LocalLow\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic Launcher\host.developer.log.

The end of this log contains the following:
05/09/2023 16:12:45 INFO - CEF 103.0.11+gb1e93e1+chromium-103.0.5060.114
05/09/2023 16:12:45 DEBUG - Crash reporting enabled
05/09/2023 16:12:45 DEBUG - Failed to localize (STAR WARS™: The Old Republic™)
05/09/2023 16:12:45 DEBUG - WorkflowManager - Overall Progress - -2.00 (0)

Cannot use the login, none of the above solutions worked for me. 
In the first login, where you enter the password, the button is outside the bottom margin, cannot be clicked, luckily the login form respond to enter.
In the second screen where the warning about "Game update 7.2.1 contains the 64-bit client... bla bla bla" first the close button and the top right humongous X do not show, but if you force the window to repaint (2xWinkey+D) they will display just that they do not respond to click or enter events.

Freaking launcher did a short update when I tried to open the game today and it did not allow me to get into game since then.

Please revert the changes you did to the client or remove the idiotic blocking screen used to warn people as this is very old news now.

• Like 2

It keeps reverting, whatever bioware did is nasty.

I do a couple things, get into the game, then next time I try to log in the launcher problems start up again.

Setting the compatability to windows 8 and running as an administrator works.

Then next time I try to log in I check the settings the the launcher has removed all my compatability settings.  I ended up setting it to 'read only' and got into the game. 

Fix whatever you people broke already.  At the very least you should have a 'revert to last build' whenever you make a change. 

It's a launcher, wtf did you have to change that was so important you can't revert it when major issues pop up?

2 minutes ago, JackieKo said:

Hi all, 

The team is still investigating this. Thanks for all the updates in this thread, the extra info is helpful for them! 

Thank you so much for this update.  I appreciate that you are still trying to help.  Please ask if I can provide more help or debugging info. 

Again and again and again the same message: Host_WindowLoadTimeout

05/10/2023 00:44:53 DEBUG - Crash reporting enabled
05/10/2023 00:44:53 DEBUG - Failed to localize (STAR WARS™: The Old Republic™)
05/10/2023 00:44:53 DEBUG - WorkflowManager - Overall Progress - -2.00 (0)
05/10/2023 00:45:23 ERROR - Timeout waiting for window to load
05/10/2023 00:45:23 DEBUG - Failed to localize (Host)
05/10/2023 00:45:23 DEBUG - Failed to localize (Host_WindowLoadTimeout)
05/10/2023 00:46:53 INFO - Exit Code - 0

Edited by Linandar
adding data from host.developer.log

9 hours ago, CommunityTeam said:

Hi folks, 

Thanks for the reports regarding the launcher. 

Due to a launcher update issue, a few players can encounter a looping issue: When opening the SWTOR launcher it opens and closed several times in a row. Players need to let the launcher go into the loop as it will fix by itself. 

I just waited till it appeared again (for 2 seconds) and then I was able to turn it off by a right klick on the symbol on the taskbar.

I started the launcher again and it worked as intended.

Since then the launcher doesn't cause any problems.

I know my solution is a brutal one, but it worked.

13 hours ago, Linandar said:

Again and again and again the same message: Host_WindowLoadTimeout

05/10/2023 00:44:53 DEBUG - Crash reporting enabled
05/10/2023 00:44:53 DEBUG - Failed to localize (STAR WARS™: The Old Republic™)
05/10/2023 00:44:53 DEBUG - WorkflowManager - Overall Progress - -2.00 (0)
05/10/2023 00:45:23 ERROR - Timeout waiting for window to load
05/10/2023 00:45:23 DEBUG - Failed to localize (Host)
05/10/2023 00:45:23 DEBUG - Failed to localize (Host_WindowLoadTimeout)
05/10/2023 00:46:53 INFO - Exit Code - 0

My log looks the same, but weirdly is appearing on locallow instead of local. 

18 hours ago, CodyMenzies said:

I am having a similar issue unfortunately, and cannot get rid of the Recent Updates overlay when I log in.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FvtDUCLaEAARHYy?format=jpg&name=large
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FvtDUCQagAAsvBP?format=jpg&name=large

Hi all i have that same problem i can loging just fine.But the Recent Updates overlay when I log in. EA please help

I literally signed up for s monthly subscription yesterday and promptly ran into this issue. Downloaded the game client from the SWTOR website, logged in, hit the 'Play' button and...nothing.

Tried all of the actions that the SWTOR Support team and other users have posted in this (and other) threads with no luck.

Searched through the forums and ran into this post: https://forums.swtor.com/topic/927368-launcher-bug/?do=findComment&comment=9740056

Deleted the game from my system and re-downloaded from the Steam client and...BOOM. Game launches just fine.

Guessing that it may have something to do with the DirectX download as JadisUK had originally posted.  Not the optimum solution...but it got me into the game when all of the other so-called solutions failed. *shrug*

• Dev Post

Hi everyone, 

I'm consolidating info for all of you in this post. As of now, these are steps the team is suggesting players take to resolve this issue: 

1. If the launcher of in a loop, please wait a few minutes to see if the launcher updates and fixes itself. If it does not resolve on its own, go to step 2. 
  2. Download the SWTOR installer from here
    • Run it and click on Repair
    • It should look like this 
    • image.thumb.png.fffaac91179aab396b2e8be6a2089a82.png
    • If this step does not work, please proceed to step 3
  3. Go to your installation directory and delete the two files that end with metafile.json. That should trigger an update that will look for the most recent launcher release.
    • The path would look something like this C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic
  4. If none of the above steps fix the issue, players will need to uninstall and reinstall the game.

For players who are seeing a Host_WindowLoadTimeout error message, we recommend stopping the game on the task manager and restarting your machine. 

Please keep us updated on your status in this thread. 

Thank you

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

31 minutes ago, JackieKo said:

Hi everyone, 

I'm consolidating info for all of you in this post. As of now, these are steps the team is suggesting players take to resolve this issue: 

1. If the launcher of in a loop, please wait a few minutes to see if the launcher updates and fixes itself. If it does not resolve on its own, go to step 2. 
  2. Download the SWTOR installer from here
    • Run it and click on Repair
    • It should look like this 
    • image.thumb.png.fffaac91179aab396b2e8be6a2089a82.png
    • If this step does not work, please proceed to step 3
  3. Go to your installation directory and delete the two files that end with metafile.json. That should trigger an update that will look for the most recent launcher release.
    • The path would look something like this C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic
  4. If none of the above steps fix the issue, players will need to uninstall and reinstall the game.

For players who are seeing a Host_WindowLoadTimeout error message, we recommend stopping the game on the task manager and restarting your machine. 

Please keep us updated on your status in this thread. 

Thank you

I am one of the people who are seeing the Host_WindowLoadTimeout error message.  I'll assume you mean stopping the launcher (before it crashes), since the game never starts, with task manager.  

I have tried: 
1.  run launcher, crashes with Host_windowLoadtimeout, restart computer, run launcher, crashes with Host_windowLoadtimeout
2.  uninstall, restart computer, download installer, install, run launcher, crashes with Host_windowLoadtimeout
3.  uninstall, restart computer, download installer, install, restart computer, run launcher, crashes with Host_windowLoadtimeout
4.  remove all AppData related to SWTOR or BioWare, restart, run repair install (or install; multiple tests), restart, run launcher, crashes with Host_windowLoadtimeout

5. launcher, kill all SWTOR apps in task manager (there are three) before they crash, restart, run launcher, crashes with Host_windowLoadtimeout

And many other combinations, of uninstall, install, repair, restart, run launcher, clicking system tray to make it hang, and so on.  

So far there has been no impact on the crashes with Host_windowLoadtimeout.  I have submitted the launcher log and dxdiags to support on my ticket (#39126928).  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.